Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti

Notices

Thread: Got my Yeti today, not impressed at all so far...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2014, 08:09 PM   #101
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Got my Yeti today, not impressed at all so far...

id rather just get the right hub so i dont have 2 sets of bolt holes.. if possible. do you remember when cragers came double drilled for chevy and ford bolt circles? i always thought they were silly and i dont wanna have em' on my truck...

thats what i meant dude... i ground the holes pretty close. another idea would be a cheesy track widener hub to just use 12mm hexes
stevem50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-2014, 08:23 PM   #102
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLKXJ 96 View Post
Those were my exact words two minutes into driving it, or even some huge 2.2 pitbull rock beasts. The BFG's feel like those crappy IMEX brand tires.

And some CVD's in the front axle.

And beefier steering.

And a locked front axle.

And lights.
And back around the circle this thread goes.

I wish my pre-order one would come with all that cool stuff for $430 too.
Rockpiledriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 08:24 PM   #103
Suck it up!

I dont remember double drilled, but I do remember the 'universal' ones that had the oval holes. Now that was silly...
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 08:29 PM   #104
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockpiledriver View Post
And back around the circle this thread goes.

I wish my pre-order one would come with all that cool stuff for $430 too.
I remember my artr Scorpion. $280 for chitty tires, weak driveshafts, fragile knuckles and chubs, no electronics, leaky shocks, a really poor turning radius, and trans outputs that snapped quite easily. But damn was I happy to have it...
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 08:48 PM   #105
I wanna be Dave

I think people are missing that the Yeti is a different animal. It's a basher/racer and because of that, it is probably going to see a lot more abuse than the average rig. How many people want to toss the Yeti electronics in their scale rig and take it to the local BMX track or skate park? Do you think even a well built scaler would survive? You can do those things with the Yeti and you know what? It's FUN!

People hoping to have a real capable crawler from one might be disappointed. You can't Really expect a low CG car that handles on the track, with a pan chassis, to perform great in technical rock. But that isn't what it was designed for.
Rockpiledriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 08:52 PM   #106
TSK
Shelf queen

If people keep whining they should price something like the Losi SCTE 2.0 and get that to RTR status. $470, no body, no wheels, no tires, no motor, no pinion, no esc, no radio, no servo and you still have to put it together.
TSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 08:59 PM   #107
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockpiledriver View Post
I think people are missing that the Yeti is a different animal. It's a basher/racer and because of that, it is probably going to see a lot more abuse than the average rig. How many people want to toss the Yeti electronics in their scale rig and take it to the local BMX track or skate park? Do you think even a well built scaler would survive? You can do those things with the Yeti and you know what? It's FUN!

People hoping to have a real capable crawler from one might be disappointed. You can't Really expect a low CG car that handles on the track, with a pan chassis, to perform great in technical rock. But that isn't what it was designed for.

its fine in the rocks if setup for it..lock the front diff and disconnect the swaybar. the 20 or so minutes mine was running was in rocks and roots.. tight and technical like an scx, no way, but using a bull in a china shop "when in doubt gas it" driving style blasted me over some cool ledges with better control than my wraith. its just gonna need some tinkering to get it right
Old 08-31-2014, 09:28 PM   #108
Pebble Pounder

Blk xj actually drove my truck on Friday. And he was absolutly right I didn't check a single screw, ran about 6-7 packs through it so far, only thing that happened was a small piece of plastic about the size of a grain of salt made its way into the spur and had the same noise you described. 30 second fix for me.

The truck does handle good I feel. I think the reason it doesn't handle flat dirt roads as good as blk xj was expecting is because it has a locked rear axle, and an unlocked front. So the back end will naturally be more loose then the front. I thought that made it fun to drive.

I don't see how anyone can complain though, just to be honest. You are in the hobby of money spending. I just bought the truck, brought it home, and spent another 170 bucks in aftermarket parts the next day, with many many more dollars to spend.

In the end of the day it's just like any other axial.... Almost badass out of the box, it just needs a few extras to make it perfect. And no other manufacturer even comes close to that.
twilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 09:57 PM   #109
RCC Addict

So, according to the Axial website, the transmission gears are sintered (heated and compressed metal powder). They should be strong enough, but clearly they will need to be inspected for proper alignment and thorough greasing in every vehicle prior to being run. That's kind of a letdown, but honestly, it's not any worse than the plastic gears that come in the Wraith.
fyrstormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 06:49 AM   #110
Rock Crawler

I can see RRP coming out with an HD trans gear set if this truck takes off like I hope that it does.

I am looking forward to seeing what mine can do once the new hubs come. In the meantime while I am waiting, I am tearing it all down, re-greasing the trans and putting threadlock everywhere it's needed. Got to give it a better chance for round two...

I agree that I loved the R35 ripsaws on my Wraith, but I am going to try the Maxxis Trepador tires in R35 on this rig. They will be here later this week as well.
rm25x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 07:31 AM   #111
Web Wheeling

I stripped a rear hub yesterday on my second battery pack, I had it bound up a few times, and throttled out. Would have been nice to see the plastic hubs with a 12mm hex molded in rather then the cross pin.

I'll have to get some aluminum hubs now, can't wait to get this truck back on the rocks again, is a blast. I was making some impressive lines in my rock pile.
Etype R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 08:24 AM   #112
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevem50 View Post
yeah... just as soon as i can take it apart without wanting to throw the damn thing. my tf2 is in about 4000000 pieces on my bench right now, so it gonna sit for a while. im gonna throw some alloy bits at it and also going to go 2 speed while its apart. now that there are a few more out there i can see whats working for other people.

on a sidenote.. has anybody tried the giant mickey ttc's from rc 4wd? 5.84" tall!?!? i have the pit rockbeast 2 on my wraith and love them,(i dont usually like big tires) but these have a decent tread and i dont have em' yet..

and another sidenote.. there are a couple of gearhead wheel designs i really would like for this rig, but the bolt circle is about 1-2mm off of the slw hub. i ground away the lug holes on 1 of my wheels last nite, but was getting too close to the hub center to really get it to fit right. anybody know if the other hubs out there are available in different bolt circles? all the ones ive seen are just measured in offset, ive never noticed bolt pattern measurement..

Do you mean these?! ;)

delux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 08:51 AM   #113
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Got my Yeti today, not impressed so far...

You just run the hexes with no spacers? I was gonna use 25mm wideners on the rear and just go hex all the way around and scrap the plastic hubs all together

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-01-2014, 09:36 AM   #114
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Got my Yeti today, not impressed so far...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevem50 View Post
You just run the hexes with no spacers? I was gonna use 25mm wideners on the rear and just go hex all the way around and scrap the plastic hubs all together

I've got standard Axial alloy hexes up front and 20mm?? wide hexes on the rear as well as having the rims offset (gearhead rims can be reversed for different offsets) deeper, it works out that the rear is about 5mm total wider...
Old 09-01-2014, 09:41 AM   #115
Quarry Creeper

I can't find a pic of the rear but this is the front...

Old 09-01-2014, 10:23 AM   #116

I received my Yeti on Friday and got three 3S 5000mah packs on it before the plastic hubs let go. I checked and tightened everything before hand.

In the Yeti's defense, my daughter and I beat it to death at the local track. We were both very happy with how fun it was to drive and don't regret buying it.

I have VP hubs, hexes and steering parts on the way.
hallman45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 10:28 AM   #117
I wanna be Dave

Default Got my Yeti today, not impressed at all so far...

Quote:
Originally Posted by delux View Post
I've got standard Axial alloy hexes up front and 20mm?? wide hexes on the rear as well as having the rims offset (gearhead rims can be reversed for different offsets) deeper, it works out that the rear is about 5mm total wider...

Did you reverse the fronts or rears??? Those are the wheels I'm using...

Never mind I see what ya did there lol

k9popo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 12:29 PM   #118
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSCorpionKing View Post
If people keep whining they should price something like the Losi SCTE 2.0 and get that to RTR status. $470, no body, no wheels, no tires, no motor, no pinion, no esc, no radio, no servo and you still have to put it together.
Yeah, but as the owner of one of those I can say it is a tank, so that extra money goes a long way toward durability. The real question is whether or not the Yeti would equal that durability if someone spends $200 in upgrades to match the price of the SCTE plus electronics.

The reality is the Yeti is a pretty darn heavy truck for something that is made of mostly plastic. I like the Yeti, I plan to get the Yeti kit when it is available, but a truck that heavy with that much plastic has me concerned about long term durability.
-bjb- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 01:41 PM   #119
Rock Crawler

im back.. no real internal "damage" to the transmission making the grinding noise, but i was MISSING a bearing. the idler bearing shaft was only supported on 1 side... after a few minutes i guess it wiggled out of alignment and CRUNCH noise here we come.. i threw a spare traxxas 5x11 in and im back in motion crunch free.. well, mostly. as soon as i grind down the front c-hub screw to clear my wheels im gonna go test run it.
Old 09-02-2014, 01:43 PM   #120
Rock Crawler

Glad you were able to fix it. Makes me glad mine was only missing a lower spring cup.
rm25x is offline   Reply With Quote

Got my Yeti today, not impressed at all so far... - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Yeti, Set, GO!!! FastEddy Bearings for the Axial Yeti FastEddy Axial Yeti 13 04-21-2015 07:33 AM
water yeti.. calling all yeti owners going2fast Axial Yeti 11 11-02-2014 05:43 PM
Wait for a Yeti or get a Slash 4x4 Ultimate today? BIGNASTY Chit Chat 19 08-30-2014 10:54 PM
Yeti captured today im gunna crawl Axial Yeti 4 08-28-2014 08:58 PM
I drove a Yeti today. Dirt51 Axial Yeti 1 07-12-2014 08:15 PM