Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Something for my dad

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2011, 10:30 AM   #281
I wanna be Dave

So I got the rear window pulled. Again it was like the front and came out pretty easy and I got a new set of tools that helped a bunch,lol.

crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-2011, 10:37 AM   #282
I wanna be Dave

So I am the typeof person who always looks at the brighter side--with the rear window out I was able to spend some good time on the headliner and I got it MUCH better. Now I am happy with it.

Done came over and gave me a hand and got the front/rear windows in. I then proceeded to seal the rear window. I am hoping to have the rear trim here today or tommorow.

MUCH better...

Old 03-25-2011, 10:42 AM   #283
Rock Crawler

WOW She looks absolutely gorgeous in the sun. This thread is like a great new show on TV, always excited to see a new episode, but still fun to go back and rewatch the old ones I can't wait for the season finale, seeing pics of your dad sitting behind the wheel!
Keep doing what you're doing, we're loving it!
TEAM DEBEAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 11:46 AM   #284
I wanna be Dave

I spent all last night getting the windshield sealed and trim put on. Since it was new trim it took some work to tweek it. One problem I had was getting it to clip into place and thought it was due to the trim not bent right. I found the clips that came with the trim were junk and not holding. Luckily I had a couple bags of good clips and replaced some and it held the trim in place... But its loooking better and better.

Old 03-25-2011, 04:36 PM   #285
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEAM DEBEAD View Post
WOW She looks absolutely gorgeous in the sun. This thread is like a great new show on TV, always excited to see a new episode, but still fun to go back and rewatch the old ones I can't wait for the season finale, seeing pics of your dad sitting behind the wheel!
Keep doing what you're doing, we're loving it!
Kinda like a good book....

Thanks I am trying and looking forward to giving it back to him here VERY soon...
Old 03-26-2011, 12:12 AM   #286
I wanna be Dave

So my dad stopped by work to drop me off more stuff.

Its kinda funny as he came into the shop and on my laptop my background is a good picture of the car and luckily I was quick enough to cover it up...

But I got home and dug right into it and started with the truck. I installed all new plugs and new drains for the rear quarters.

I also got a new bezel for the trunk lock. Damn release pin for the lock cylinder was rusted into place and took some work to get it to release. But got the new one on and it really looks good--shiney stuff..

Old 03-26-2011, 12:14 AM   #287
I wanna be Dave

I also got the new tail lamp connectors so I dug into the last of the wiring on the car.

Got it all done..

Old 03-26-2011, 01:36 AM   #288
Quarry Creeper

Looks great!! You sure ya couldnt talk the old guy into some mag wheels?
MnRockCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 08:33 AM   #289
Quarry Creeper

Best thread ever!Awesome job on restoring a classic.I would love to see a video of the first time your dad sees it,there won't be a dry eye in the house.
jhtoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 09:06 AM   #290
I wanna be Dave

I also got the hurst reverse kit/switch.

By the instructions I thought it was going to be harder but it went very smooth and got it installed in no time.

Old 03-26-2011, 09:09 AM   #291
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by MnRockCrawler View Post
Looks great!! You sure ya couldnt talk the old guy into some mag wheels?
Thats in the works....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhtoy View Post
Best thread ever!Awesome job on restoring a classic.I would love to see a video of the first time your dad sees it,there won't be a dry eye in the house.
I am working out the details on him seeing it---should be fun
Old 03-26-2011, 09:15 AM   #292
I wanna be Dave

I was just itching to see so it was time for a light test.. YES--we have reverse lights!!!!!

SO the list of electrical items I need to resolve. No brake lamps(I could have sworn I had brake lamp voltage before). The front park lamps work with the park switch on but go out when I turn the headlamps on. The horns don't work.
Old 03-26-2011, 09:20 AM   #293
I wanna be Dave

I also got the "missing" panel the car never had (well since my dad has owned it). So tonight I am going to pull the bumper and get the panel fitted, bumper brackets taken care of and get Don to get it to CT's so we can get it painted (along with the door plugs).

Old 03-26-2011, 09:24 PM   #294
Pebble Pounder

Default Amazing

Just found this tonite and have read all 15 pages. I know you have been told this many times over but WOW THIS THING IS GORGEOUS! I will be praying for your family and hope to continue to hear good news. Congrats on having a beautiful product to return to your dad!
silverback4jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 01:29 AM   #295
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash View Post
The front park lamps work with the park switch on but go out when I turn the headlamps on.
This might be normal. It's a completely different beast, but my '63 Bug does the same thing, from the factory.
Jeckler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 08:31 PM   #296
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverback4jack View Post
Just found this tonite and have read all 15 pages. I know you have been told this many times over but WOW THIS THING IS GORGEOUS! I will be praying for your family and hope to continue to hear good news. Congrats on having a beautiful product to return to your dad!
Thank you. I am tickled with how its looking....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeckler View Post
This might be normal. It's a completely different beast, but my '63 Bug does the same thing, from the factory.
No I found its 100% normal..... I thought its odd...
Old 03-28-2011, 08:38 PM   #297
I wanna be Dave

So sunday was a hard day for me. We had an issue with the rear trim either not being shipped or my dad forgot to order it. On the shipping invoice it showed not being on the order. So I got a call from my mom that they were on the way out. When they showed I turned the shop lights off and ran outa the shop closing everything so he could not see the car.

It was VERY hard to not let him in to see it.....
Old 03-28-2011, 08:48 PM   #298
I wanna be Dave

So sunday was spent basically doing one thing and that was fitting the new panel, bumper mounts and bumper. It was very slow work between having to pull the bumper on/off dozens of times..

The inner brackets were ok but required a little notching. But it was the mid brackets (outer bracket goes from the bumper to the fender) that required the work. I made new plates where the mid bracket sits/shares the main bracket mounting bolts.

Lopped off the old plates and reworked the rest of the bracket and then welded them to the plates. I am not sure if its the new bumper or the fact the old one was bent that made the old ones not fit--but they do now.

So now its ready for paint.

Pulled it and Don came and grabbed it to take to CT's to get painted. I also painted the brackets and undercoated the area where the bracket sits on the framerail (had to go around it before).
Old 03-28-2011, 08:53 PM   #299
I wanna be Dave

So today was spent doing lots of little stuff.

Got the new edge seals mounted. I was impressed with the quality of them and they fit nice.

I also got the door bumpers all installed--tricky little guys...

Since the stock shifter boot would not work I took a chance and had him order a later model (70ish) for a hurst shifter. It was perfect.

Old 03-28-2011, 08:58 PM   #300
I wanna be Dave

Vacuumed the carpet and installed the floor mats my mom had gotten for the car.

I had a pile of handles to choose from. I went and polished them up and threw them on. The ones for the rear windows are in a little rough shape but not bad--front ones are in perfect shape.

So the only thing left do to on the interior is install the chome base cover for the shifter when we get it..