Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Competitions and Events > Competitions

Notices

Thread: 2007 R/C X-Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2007, 09:13 PM   #121
Web Wheeling

When we setup the schedule for this season, everyone that made the meeting supported the idea of including this in the series points. But with how small the turn out is looking, its looking like a bad idea. This will be more for bragging rights.
Etype R is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-2007, 09:24 AM   #122
Rock Crawler

as far as the course not getting done I just going to keep my mouth shut about it 5 worked on it but everyone needs it hmmmmmmmmmm thats all im saying im disapointed
in it all there are those that brag they have all this time and some that brag about $$$$$ but when it came to building this course for x-games no time no $$$$$$$$ wow .....................:-(:-(:-(:-(:-(:-(:-(:-(:-(:-(:-(:-(:-(:-(:-?:-?:-?:-?:-?
intimadationrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 10:12 AM   #123
Web Wheeling

Chris, you guys are just on the wrong side of town for me. With traffic, and working till 5 or 6 every day its not easy.

And pointing fingers isn't going to motivate people to help, it does quite the opposite. Posting pictures of the progress would motivate people to help much more. I feel like I am being attacked personally when you say nobody is helping. But when it comes down to it, my weekends are booked most of the time, and I can't just leave work at any time.

If I didn't build this scale jeep in 4 days, I might have been able to build 2 3x3 foot sections of a crawling course. And I still might try, I could cut and weld up the frames tonight, maybe even weld some chicken wire to the frames and get the shapes knocked out. I just need to find some resin that will cure at room temp, and pick up some fabric to cover it with.

As far as costs go, these steel frames will run $5 a piece, and chicken wire will not cost that much either. I think the most expensive part will be the resin. And with using resin, sand can be mixed into it, to create a good surface. So the bedliner is not needed, keeping the costs down. I still think this is the best way to build the course. But I thought discount was a longer drive and kept putting it off.

Now Chris, would you want to run a scale tuff truck class? We need to get a idea of how many people could bring scalers over the number of supers we might bring in.
Old 08-28-2007, 07:11 PM   #124
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by intimadationrc View Post
as far as the course not getting done I just going to keep my mouth shut about it 5 worked on it but everyone needs it hmmmmmmmmmm thats all im saying im disapointed
in it all there are those that brag they have all this time and some that brag about $$$$$ but when it came to building this course for x-games no time no $$$$$$$$ wow .....................:-(:-(:-(:-(:-(:-(:-(:-(:-(:-(:-(:-(:-(:-(:-?:-?:-?:-?:-?
i have offered my help because i live in isanti which is off of 65 just south of cambridge and no one gave me a reply. i would just need someone to pick me up because my parents are busy.
theTman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 07:19 PM   #125
Web Wheeling

I welded up both frames, and went to fleet farm to get chicken wire, resin, and fiberglass. I also ended up picking up a fake plastic rock that measures around 30x20 inches and 15 inches tall. The rock was on sale for $45, normal price was 65. Its a light weight plastic rock, with a sandy texture too it, it has one good face for crawling up with a 2.2 sized rig. I just played on it a bit with my comp rig, and it is a good little challenge, this rock alone is worthy of being 1 gate.

The resin and fiberglass was $15, which covers 8 square feet, I picked up double that just in case they need two layers. I also picked up 25' of chicken wire for $8. So all said in done, I spent close to $90, all so we can have 2-3 gates I will be forming the chicken wire tomorrow, maybe try a bit tonight yet? Then I will try to cover them in fibreglass as well.
Old 08-28-2007, 09:18 PM   #126
Web Wheeling

Here is a link to the plastic rock I picked up, its pretty sweet

http://www.emscogroup.com/products/p...category_id=23

I will take some pics of it tomorrow with my jeep on it.
Old 08-28-2007, 10:40 PM   #127
Web Wheeling

One picture of my jeep on top of the rock for tonight... Its really to big for my work bench/photo table

Old 08-28-2007, 10:44 PM   #128
Quarry Creeper

what time is the crawling comp at x-games. i need to know so my dad can say if he can take me or not.
theTman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 11:11 PM   #129
MWRCA'er

I tell you what those crawler rock setups are awesome. At first I was sceptical if I would even use the thing at all. Now that I have it I use it to fine tune my rigs after almost every mod. These rock setups are far better then the old weights sets I used to crawl over. MN people get in on the rocks even if your not going to make a appearance at the games.
Mnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 11:20 PM   #130
tjb
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etype R View Post
One picture of my jeep on top of the rock for tonight... Its really to big for my work bench/photo table

Looks good, great idea!........so where is the winter series going to be again?
tjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 11:25 PM   #131
Rock Crawler

ok sorry to all i was a little rude earlier but the 4x9 foam is done being carved but still needs liquid nails and the coating form madjack and jerimy so we need to try for this week im trying for the liquid nails tommorrow......
Old 08-28-2007, 11:29 PM   #132
Web Wheeling

get some pics up

I'll post pics of the steel frames after I get the chicken wire welded on, and more pics once I coat them in fiberglass.
Old 08-29-2007, 01:00 AM   #133
RCC Addict

Exclamation

Ok, here's the latest update...
  • Mike has a plastic rock and is working on (2) 3x3 sections.
  • Chris and I finished carving the 4x9 sheet today
    • Still to do: glue down and coat it
  • Paul (Farakai) is working on getting us some dirt to use as filler
  • Troy says he can hook up some loose rocks
Chris and I are looking at getting some adhesive (liquid nails or gorilla glue) to glue down the foam. We pounded nails into the back of the board to help secure the blocks. It helped alot, but there is still some movement. Glueing them should hold them secure. We will get some pictures of it tomorrow. Jerimy and Jack found a hookup for the coating. Price sounds good. Jerimy is checking into wether or not it can be done in time.

The game plan is to have the artificial courses done by Thurs, Friday at the latest. We'll use the dirt and loose rocks to surround the artificial courses. Troy scored some small trusses so we can angle the course if we want. We won't be able to really plan it out exactly until we get up there and see all that we have to work with. I'm going to try to borrow a shovel, garden rake, and hoe (careful ) from my parents sometime this week to help with course setup.

I am planning on making a few trips up there with rock and the course between now and Friday. If anyone wants to meet me in Bloomington (where the rocks are anyways), and help out that would be great. Also, please keep in mind that we need to clean up afterwards too. Sunday would probably be the best day to cleanup whatever we leave behind on Saturday. I go back to work on Tues, so I would like at least 1 day to recover from this event before I go back to work.

As far as start time... I think we should start around 10am, but I think it's going to be a pretty laid back day for us crawlers. Plan on sticking around all day into the evening if possible. The spud run is Saturday night, and we have something in the works for it. Mike, be sure to bring your camera and cam-corder!

Please remember, we will have to work around the racers. Mainly meaning radio frequencies. I know a fair amount of us run Spektrum, so I don't foresee too many problems with that. If you are running a specific frequency, you will have to check the board for the clothespin for that channel. If it's in use, you will have to wait to turn on your radio when the frequency is available. Even if it's just for a second in the pics. We will not have any situations like last year. Any questions about this, see me.

To all that are coming, please bring as many trucks as possible, especially scalers. We are planning on setting up a course for the scalers, even though it won't be any sort of competition,...just for fun! P.S. waterproofing is recommended.

If at all possible, I'd like us all to pit in the same area, prefferably by the course.
Nicklepimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 08:40 AM   #134
Quarry Creeper

damn , e-type flanked the crew with the rock purchace , good find man

ya might want to try Felt instead of chicken wire , thats what they build some of the custom sub boxes out of , and they fiberglass it , maby cheaper and less build time ?

i am going to try to make it out to Cannon today to pick up the sample peice after i get a lil sleep (work Graveyards)

dont forget we have a couple bridges to work with as well , 2 of troys and that wooden dowell and rope bridge

Last edited by pro beater; 08-29-2007 at 08:45 AM.
pro beater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 08:55 AM   #135
Web Wheeling

Chicken wire is only to get the shape down, the fiberglass will be the main structure. When they use felt, they build up the box with MDF shapes, and staple the felt. Its more to get smooth transisions then strength. I am hoping with the chicken wire, I can form in some sharper ledges and pockets, like this plastic rock has in it.

And I think the felt option would actually cost more, as it would use even more resin. The chicken wire was cheap, at $8 for 25 feet of it. Right now it is looking like each 3x3 section will run around $25-30 complete.

Friday if time permits, I will be making a bridge as well, this plastic rock needs one to go with it, maybe 2?
Old 08-29-2007, 09:24 AM   #136
RCC Addict

Mike, when I tried to make those trophies last year, I used chicken wire and fiberglass. I did have some trouble with the fiberglass holding the exact shape of the wire. I tried tying the cloth to the structure with thin wire, but then I had the wire sticking out. And it was a bit flimsy in the spots where it wasn't against the wire. Maybe try attaching the fiberglass to the chicken wire first with resin, then once you have the shape resin the rest of the cloth. I may help with the shape and support. Just an idea.
Nicklepimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 10:12 AM   #137
Web Wheeling

Kevin, thanks for the concern and ideas. I will be doing one layer of glass over the chicken wire and work it as it cures. Once it is to the point that it holds its shape well, and is still tackey I will add a second layer and coat it. There is a chance this will not go as planned, as I have not worked with chicken wire before. But I have worked with carbon and fiberglass layup for over 5 years.

I do have some backup ideas if the first plan doesn't go as planned
Old 08-29-2007, 05:23 PM   #138
Rock Crawler

ok well hers what we have so far glued down and nailed still slight movement but not fully cured so maybe stronger plus it's on it's way to be coated. If not i have an idea to stop movement so don't worry.....
Old 08-29-2007, 07:15 PM   #139
Web Wheeling

Well I am a idiot... 8 square feet is not the same as 8 feet by 8 feet, so I don't have enough to even cover one of the sections...

I am going to pick up a pallet of boulders tomorrow that I found on craigs list. I couldn't make it out there on time today. But its a full pallet for $40

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/mat/409087406.html
Old 08-29-2007, 09:17 PM   #140
Rock Crawler

is 8 square feet 4x4?