Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Novak M2 Dig ESC Combo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2010, 12:03 PM   #421
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_MADD View Post
Looking on the novak site, it shows it not available for the m2dig. Unless i'm reading it wrong.
I'll have to call them tomorrow. Thanks for the heads up
Hmmm... Maybe I read it wrong. Looks like Rooster Crawler could be exchanges for $44 with any ESC in group S3. If you call them post up what you find out.
McTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-2010, 02:02 PM   #422
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertec View Post
Ok. I'm pretty sure that anytime you change the throttle setting you need to do the one step again. Hope that gets you going, if not let me know and ill give you my number and maybe we can figure it out
That did it . I re-ran the setup and it works now just like it should. Thanks for the help .
80mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 03:28 PM   #423

Quote:
Originally Posted by McTwist View Post
Hmmm... Maybe I read it wrong. Looks like Rooster Crawler could be exchanges for $44 with any ESC in group S3. If you call them post up what you find out.
I just called and was told that it is "not a option right now".
T_MADD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 04:27 PM   #424
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy View Post
Nice video, but can you show reverse....That is where some of the complaints are.
I hope this is what you was talking about if not let me know.

http://s243.photobucket.com/albums/f...=VIDEO0018.mp4
Vertec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 04:30 PM   #425
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80mac View Post
That did it . I re-ran the setup and it works now just like it should. Thanks for the help .
Thats great to hear! Now go have fun!
Old 11-03-2010, 04:58 PM   #426
Rock Crawler

I got the dig and everything running good and its fast with the dx3r but when I hooked up the BEC like it suggests with a 3cell i get glitches when steering and throttle is applied at the same time. I did run it without the BEC and it worked good but I dont want to be in the middle of a comp and have the ESC stop working on me because of the ESC overheating and I dont want glitches.
tuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 05:10 PM   #427
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by gs tunner View Post
I got the dig and everything running good and its fast with the dx3r but when I hooked up the BEC like it suggests with a 3cell i get glitches when steering and throttle is applied at the same time. I did run it without the BEC and it worked good but I dont want to be in the middle of a comp and have the ESC stop working on me because of the ESC overheating and I dont want glitches.
Not sure how you have yours wired up but mudboger07 had posted this up on another thread and said never had any issues with it this way. May want to give it a try. My ccbec is not working so im just using the esc bec for now.
Old 11-03-2010, 06:13 PM   #428
Rock Crawler

I have the BEC in the bat/bind, esc in the throttle with red wire out and the other one from the ESC in the aux with red wire out and the servo in the str. Just like it says to do. Ill probably just pull the BEC and take my chances.
tuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 07:50 PM   #429
"HOLLYWOOD"

new video is great!! thanks.
Mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 10:09 PM   #430
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertec View Post
I hope this is what you was talking about if not let me know.

http://s243.photobucket.com/albums/f...=VIDEO0018.mp4
Great video...EXACTLY what I was looking for. You need to show others how to wire/ set up theirs because obviously you got it right!!! Nice work driver!!!
Pappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 10:06 AM   #431
Rock Crawler

I realize we all like to post issues on forums, but in addition, if you have time to Email me it helps Novak keep tabs on what issues are being experienced and attempting to have solutions quickly. Really appreciate it: Csuangka@teamnovak.com

The trucks we have setup so far during testing, didn't really have any reverse digging issues that I know of.

I'm looking a little further into the Servo Glitch with External BEC. I know the steering is not effected in the Trucks using the Novak BEC, but with the other brand BEC I do see a very very small blink of the BEC loosing power momentarily. I think it happens with the Novak BEC also, but for some reason, the steering is not effected. HQ has been informed of the situation and we're looking into this.

Exchanges: Eventually you will be able to send about anything in and get some form of credit towards a newer ESC. Generally, it takes several months (Closer to a year) before a newly released item is added to the list.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 11:09 AM   #432
Rock Crawler

I just got my M2 and I did the same as Novak say to do with BEC and glitching all the time when trying to crawl slow. I even blew 2 CC BEC's in the setup stage. I did send Novak an email. I'll try what charlie recommends and see if I can find a Novak BEC.
ynmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 11:18 AM   #433
RCC Addict

Maybe the M2 does best using the M2s BEC to power the ESC and Rx, and then just use a external BEC to power the Servo (if needed), via a Y-harness.

As long as the servo Y harness only has the ground and signal going to the Rx, there should be very limited chance of interference.

I have a M2 ordered; if I had it I would test it, instead of talking hypothetical.
renoirbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 06:15 PM   #434
Rock Crawler

Luckily I work at a Hobby shop that has a fantastic owner that lets me Tinker on his time.

We sat down with his M2, Castle BEC and tried to pinpoint this "glitch" of sorts.

Found that nothing really stops it 100%, but we can minimize it so it's barely noticed.

WIre up the BEC so Red Black go into the RX. REmove the orange wire to prevent any sort of goofy signal mix ups.

Then, connect the M2 normally. You'll have to have the ESC turned on at all times for normal operation. If the Lights are on, but the switch of the ESC is off, the ESC won't run correctly. Just leave it on all the time.

This pretty much eleviates the problem unless you're at super steering bind and try to just barely 'creep' into the trigger.

Thanks Jakes Performance Hobbies for letting me get this posted today!
Old 11-04-2010, 06:21 PM   #435
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by renoirbud View Post
Maybe the M2 does best using the M2s BEC to power the ESC and Rx, and then just use a external BEC to power the Servo (if needed), via a Y-harness.

As long as the servo Y harness only has the ground and signal going to the Rx, there should be very limited chance of interference.

I have a M2 ordered; if I had it I would test it, instead of talking hypothetical.
That is how my servo is wired up now. M2 in the mail, so we'll see as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Luckily I work at a Hobby shop that has a fantastic owner that lets me Tinker on his time.

We sat down with his M2, Castle BEC and tried to pinpoint this "glitch" of sorts.

Found that nothing really stops it 100%, but we can minimize it so it's barely noticed.

WIre up the BEC so Red Black go into the RX. REmove the orange wire to prevent any sort of goofy signal mix ups.

Then, connect the M2 normally. You'll have to have the ESC turned on at all times for normal operation. If the Lights are on, but the switch of the ESC is off, the ESC won't run correctly. Just leave it on all the time.

This pretty much eleviates the problem unless you're at super steering bind and try to just barely 'creep' into the trigger.

good to know. thanks. just ordered mine today.
Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 07:12 PM   #436
RCC Addict

Quote:

Does it seem like you are browning out the battery?
renoirbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 07:24 PM   #437
Rock Crawler

Renoir- I think it's something else. The ESC works perfectly from the internal BEC, but on 3S, the internal BEC won't hold up for long haul crawling or super beef servos.

But with the external BEC, the ESC's act of "starting" the motor causes something to shut off the BEC momentarily. It doesn't loose power to the ESC ever, just the BEC. It's very strange for sure, but still works okay when you're driving. It's almost like you have to "Try" to make it happen by just barely creeping, something that probably isn't ultra common in todays fast paced comp crawling arena. Just saying.

All:
Side note on the basic operation. Don't forget to make sure when the ESC tells the motors to go Forward (solid green at full forward) the Truck Moves Forward. If it's wrong, rewire the motors so it's right.

Biasing only works in the 2nd profile and if you have a "TRIM" setting for the 3rd channel. In a DX this is called aux Linear. On every other radio it should just be a trim. If you have trim steps available, you can set these higher so you can biased faster or to like a preset.

Some have noticed that when you Lock one end, and hold at Full Throttle, the Locked Side slowly turns as you reach full throttle.
This can be fixed "easily" by simply turning up the Aux Travel 5-10 steps. You'll then get LOCK at full throttle when Dig/Lock is engaged.

Dont' forget, please email me any issues you encounter so I can share them with Novak HQ. csuangka@teamnovak.com

Last edited by Charlie; 11-04-2010 at 07:28 PM.
Old 11-04-2010, 07:43 PM   #438
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Renoir- I think it's something else. The ESC works perfectly from the internal BEC, but on 3S, the internal BEC won't hold up for long haul crawling or super beef servos.

But with the external BEC, the ESC's act of "starting" the motor causes something to shut off the BEC momentarily. It doesn't loose power to the ESC ever, just the BEC. It's very strange for sure, but still works okay when you're driving. It's almost like you have to "Try" to make it happen by just barely creeping, something that probably isn't ultra common in todays fast paced comp crawling arena. Just saying.

All:
Side note on the basic operation. Don't forget to make sure when the ESC tells the motors to go Forward (solid green at full forward) the Truck Moves Forward. If it's wrong, rewire the motors so it's right.

Biasing only works in the 2nd profile and if you have a "TRIM" setting for the 3rd channel. In a DX this is called aux Linear. On every other radio it should just be a trim. If you have trim steps available, you can set these higher so you can biased faster or to like a preset.

Some have noticed that when you Lock one end, and hold at Full Throttle, the Locked Side slowly turns as you reach full throttle.
This can be fixed "easily" by simply turning up the Aux Travel 5-10 steps. You'll then get LOCK at full throttle when Dig/Lock is engaged.

Dont' forget, please email me any issues you encounter so I can share them with Novak HQ. csuangka@teamnovak.com
Good stuff charlie, that's why Jake keeps you around.
ynmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 07:50 PM   #439
Rock Crawler

Someone had asked me about which swicthes i was using on dx3r on another thread and i put up a video and thought i would stick in here also. I have moved aux. lin to D to give it a try there and i still have it on C also until i get a feel for what i like.
http://s243.photobucket.com/albums/f...=VIDEO0022.mp4
Old 11-04-2010, 08:41 PM   #440
Rock Crawler

Will the proportional dig work on a DX3 radio? (not dx3.0 or any other letter) If so, how can the aux channel be both linear and 3 position.

thanks
nitrojeff is offline   Reply With Quote