Notices

Thread: HH Servo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2016, 06:02 AM   #561
RCC Addict

Default Re: HH Servo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
Using the bypass adapter keeps servo power from going through the RX. If you aren't having problems then don't feel the need to switch, but it is good practice to isolate the radio from servos and external BEC in crawlers. They are the most abused and electrically noisy components, and radios don't really like having that dirty power tied through it.
Thank you for the input. I think I will go ahead and add the bypass when I add the servo. Will be ordering both by this weekend.
Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-2016, 10:06 PM   #562
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

So my joking comment about who wants Capwn's servo was taken as a serious comment. I'm not sure how we were going to peel the servo off him and give it so others, but he was convinced. Sorry about that, I let you turn me into a regular guy for a second and crack jokes instead of being a stiff company owner like normal.

Capwn, I've sent you an email on how to return it for a refund. We need a response or servo or something from your end. Attached is our response email to you sent feb 18th.

Quote:
Hello,

Please send us your servo so we may take a look at it. Instructions are on our warranty information page. Please let us know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,

Justin

Last edited by JohnRobHolmes; 04-16-2016 at 10:15 AM.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 10:52 PM   #563
I wanna be Dave

I'm sorry to capwn and John. I should not have Replied to that. I had a few issues with my hh 400 Servo but I wound up with a good one in the end and am glad I sent it in.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Last edited by snapon boy; 04-15-2016 at 11:10 PM.
snapon boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 11:39 AM   #564
Jus
I wanna be Dave

new HV500 only lasted 2 runs in my Wraith. Disappointing. Hitec 7950 went back in for good. Yes the Hitec has been wounded twice (broken case and after about 5 years of abuse, a couple broken teeth on the big gears)

I'm a fan of Holmes and will continue to be, but that's 0-2 for the servos. (Once with the old 400 and same with the new 500) Customer service is excellent of course and my new servo will be here friday, but it's going in a 1.9 rig only. We'll see how it does there.

Since both my servos failed the same way, with broken pins inside that seized everything up, I wonder if the rigid aluminum case has anything to do with the pin failure? Just curious and thinking out loud.

On another subject, has anyone tested how water tight the HV500 is out of the box? I never submarine my rigs, but a quick dunk or stream crossing isn't out of the question.
Jus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 11:42 AM   #565
Rock Stacker

I believe mine got water into the output bearing which rusted and shot balls into the inside. After warranty repair, I've put waterproof grease all over the bearing and output shaft. I haven't driven in water again yet to try it out though
Slovenian6474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 06:15 PM   #566

The middle is still the most common break, so far we are a little under 4% of the total servos having a failure with almost all being the middle pin. We found the temper of the pins to be over hardened on broken units as compared to operational ones. Our next batch of servos lands next week with the pins more carefully tempered.
Old 05-26-2016, 06:49 PM   #567
RCC Addict

I must say I've finally been putting my hv500 to use.
I can't believe how smooth and silent it is.
Great piece.
gbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 09:10 PM   #568

New batch of servos is arrived!
Old 06-13-2016, 10:14 PM   #569
I joined the Band!

So whats new with the new batch ??

Also I must apologize, I ran my HV500 in the Top Truck Challenge and it did great.. I'm not one that cant eat thier words.. I like it alot.. Had it 100% underwater more than once in the tank trap.. No issues, Only crank.. . This after I abused it the best I could in a Yeti XL..

Long story short, I may have caused my own issue with the HV500, And stupidly blamed HH..
Capwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 10:45 PM   #570

i got one from Amain last week, ran it once around the yard and it was great. very fast, quiet and powerful. crawled
a bit and broke a link, so the truck was down.

today, after i put new incision links on the bomber, i was playing in the yard again, and bumped into a landscaping
timber. That was enough to strip the output (?? not sure what it is properly called) gear. Went on HH site to check
on ordering a set and they are out of stock. Sent a support request to HH. 2 teeth are completely gone and 1 is
nearly gone. My gears aren't black like the pictures on HH site if that means anything.

the bump was not high speed, at all. I have hit stuff way harder than that and it's tumbled down some steep stuff
and bounced off rocks many times.

I guess it was a lucky hit? I can't wait to get it up and running again.
antikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 10:49 PM   #571

New batch has middle pins with proper hardness. The majority of failures (over 95%) have been shattered middle pins, enabled by overhardening. Maybe caused by some abuse

We are below 5% failure rate, but with enough breakage to know that the middle pin has been a statistically significant failure mode. I had enough data to empircally confirm it about two weeks ago, but had made an educated guess on the fix a few months back when placing the latest order.
Old 06-13-2016, 10:52 PM   #572

Quote:
Originally Posted by antikid View Post
i got one from Amain last week, ran it once around the yard and it was great. very fast, quiet and powerful. crawled
a bit and broke a link, so the truck was down.

today, after i put new incision links on the bomber, i was playing in the yard again, and bumped into a landscaping
timber. That was enough to strip the output (?? not sure what it is properly called) gear. Went on HH site to check
on ordering a set and they are out of stock. Sent a support request to HH. 2 teeth are completely gone and 1 is
nearly gone. My gears aren't black like the pictures on HH site if that means anything.

the bump was not high speed, at all. I have hit stuff way harder than that and it's tumbled down some steep stuff
and bounced off rocks many times.

I guess it was a lucky hit? I can't wait to get it up and running again.

Same problem as described in my previous post, your pin probably broke first and later the gears stripped. give us an email through warranty@ , if your servo case is in good condition we will send you a new unit and rebuild yours for the next customer. FAster turnaround this way we find.
Old 06-14-2016, 07:07 PM   #573
I joined the Band!

Quote:
New batch has middle pins with proper hardness. The majority of failures (over 95%) have been shattered middle pins, enabled by overhardening. Maybe caused by some abuse

We are below 5% failure rate, but with enough breakage to know that the middle pin has been a statistically significant failure mode. I had enough data to empircally confirm it about two weeks ago, but had made an educated guess on the fix a few months back when placing the latest order.

So that new set of gears I was sent ( free of charge ).. Are they the updated ones? With proper hardness? giggity
Capwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 03:18 PM   #574
Rock Crawler

If I place an order today will it have the new pins?
Deckard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 03:21 PM   #575
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckard View Post
If I place an order today will it have the new pins?
Quote:
84yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 10:24 AM   #576
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84yoda View Post

I just want to make sure there's no old inventory with the faulty pins. I don't know if they have servos sitting on the shelf or if they build each one to order. I assume they would replace the faulty pins in existing inventory with the new ones but you know what happens when you assume.

I had to replace the top cover on my SA1283SG and last weekend the yellow wire broke at the board. Savox is okay, but they're noisy and they seem to loose their center. The Savox in my Yeti XL has been great but the Bomber does much more real crawling.

If I could find a servo I like, I have no problem ordering a couple to have a good back up.
Deckard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 11:27 AM   #577
Rock Crawler

I'd say order what you need before they're out of stock again. I use this servo in my basher yeti and love it. Just ordered 1 for my scx and 1 for my bomber kit. You'll like these servos.
shiftauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 11:27 AM   #578
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I just want to make sure there's no old inventory with the faulty pins. I don't know if they have servos sitting on the shelf or if they build each one to order. I assume they would replace the faulty pins in existing inventory with the new ones but you know what happens when you assume.

I had to replace the top cover on my SA1283SG and last weekend the yellow wire broke at the board. Savox is okay, but they're noisy and they seem to loose their center. The Savox in my Yeti XL has been great but the Bomber does much more real crawling.

If I could find a servo I like, I have no problem ordering a couple to have a good back up.
They were sold out but just got more in a few days ago, so I'm pretty sure you'll get one with updated pin. Im sure holmes can confirm that.
84yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 12:17 PM   #579

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capwn View Post
So that new set of gears I was sent ( free of charge ).. Are they the updated ones? With proper hardness? giggity
Your pins could be over hardened. We will have additional inventory of that part soon, and could harvest from new servos until then if needed.

Quote:

You assume correct. We have a few servos on the shelf from the old batch that I will either destroy for testing or rebuild for sale.
Old 06-16-2016, 01:59 PM   #580
RCC Addict

I'm sorry if I'm late to the show or over looked, but I have one of the earlier HH servos BLS400 (gray/gunmetal case) and its been mocked up on my super slow ultra4 build since I purchased it back in 2014 (wow time flies).

Does the over hardened pin apply to this batch of servos as well?

Last edited by Shinjari; 06-16-2016 at 06:26 PM.
Shinjari is offline   Reply With Quote

HH Servo - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
C.I. - Servo Guard - Servo Clamp - Servo Mount - Annoucement Nova's Ark Crawler Innovations 10 05-07-2015 01:25 PM
***Crawler Innovations Engraved Servo Guard-Servo Clamp-Servo Mount GIVEAWAY*** Nova's Ark General Crawlers 106 10-20-2013 02:16 AM
***Crawler Innovations Servo Guard-Servo Clamp-Servo Mount GIVEAWAY*** Nova's Ark General Crawlers 228 07-12-2011 01:17 PM
***Crawler Innovations Servo Guard-Servo Clamp-Servo Mount GIVEAWAY*** Nova's Ark General Crawlers 266 04-01-2011 02:18 PM
Crawler Innovations Servo Guard - Servo Clamp - Servo Mount GIVEAWAY!!! Nova's Ark General Crawlers 219 10-18-2010 12:43 PM