Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Have tech questions? Will answer.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2018, 10:45 AM   #901
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Have tech questions? Will answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert@castle View Post
SW4 is limited to 3s.
My bad, I forgot about that

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
MasteroFlego is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-2018, 11:50 AM   #902
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jboucher View Post
550 brushed for sure, I would stay on 3s to crawl...
Crawlmaster for top of top
Trailmaster Sport for the budget conscious and put more money into something else like a high end servo
Is the CrawlMaster a better choice for a heavier truck? I'm already familiar with the necessary servo upgrade; first upgrade I made was to a 1283.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasteroFlego View Post
No, the brush losses are too high to be worth it, or so I've heard. How about an SW4 with a Revolver on 4s?

If I go brushless, I'll go sensored. I definitely want low speed control and I'm not at all concerned with going fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoobrew View Post
I love most of Holmes hobbies products, but I wont be buying any of his current esc's for crawling. only the mamba X esc's and the HW1080 for brushed, that I know of have the ability hold a controllable speed on a steep downhill drive. My ble pro feels like driving an automatic vs a manual transmission. once the brake is released (gving the car 5% throttle) gravity pulls it down hill and the motor does nothing to slow it down. where the HW1080 and mamba x, like a manual transmission feels like it uses to motor to slow the decent while at 5% throttle.

also the cheaper HW1080 has pwm options to quiet things down.

Mostly you don't get a throttle curve with the HW1080 and I am OK with that.

I have a 10t crawlmaster 550 I drive on 4s it doesn't get hot at 100:1 and has plenty of torque. Probably wears out the brushes fast, but I'm still on my first set after a few months.
How does the BLE-Pro compare to the BR-XL, specifically regarding brushed performance? If the drag brake seems weak, would "Holmes Hold" remedy that? Isn't the BLE *basically* a Mamba X without the AUX wire? What motor are you running in your Bomber?
I honestly don't have many complaints about the stock RTR powertrain regarding descending. I kinda prefer having to "ride the brake" on technical descents.

Thanks for the input, ya'll!
elRayRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 12:06 PM   #903
RCC Addict

I'm running a 550 trailmaster Sport 21T with a hobbywing 1080 on 3s. Gearing is 11/64 but I also have a 10T pinion I need to try.

So far it's awesome for low speed control and torque. I think the top speed is decent for a crawler oriented bomber.

If I ever want more speed, I would go brushless with a puller pro and a Mamba x.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Jboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 12:40 PM   #904
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I'm running a 550 trailmaster Sport 21T with a hobbywing 1080 on 3s. Gearing is 11/64 but I also have a 10T pinion I need to try.

So far it's awesome for low speed control and torque. I think the top speed is decent for a crawler oriented bomber.

If I ever want more speed, I would go brushless with a puller pro and a Mamba x.

I'm considering going Mamba X just to get one. I'm sure at some point, I'll be wanting a fast (brushless) rig.
elRayRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 03:18 PM   #905
RCC Addict

MambaX is dabomb. The pc setup interface is great.
Browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 07:05 PM   #906
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by elRayRay View Post
How does the BLE-Pro compare to the BR-XL, specifically regarding brushed performance? If the drag brake seems weak, would "Holmes Hold" remedy that? Isn't the BLE *basically* a Mamba X without the AUX wire? What motor are you running in your Bomber?
I honestly don't have many complaints about the stock RTR powertrain regarding descending. I kinda prefer having to "ride the brake" on technical descents.

Thanks for the input, ya'll!
If you have a weak drag brake you can ride it down the hill. But if you have a strong drag brake on a ble or brxl with holmes hold, there is no riding the brake down, you will just sit there. As soon as you tap the throttle it like you put the car in neutral and you go too fast. The remedy is buying a $40 HW 1080 and enabling freewheeling. Why spend more on something less capable.

Brushed performance is mostly only affected by pwm frequency and features imo. Higher pwm frequency are smoother and lower frequencies are louder and puncher. Castle esc's all are low pwm frequencies holmes hobbies and the hobbywing 1080s are adjustable pwm, the ble also has a dithered mode that's a hybrid and is really good.

Last edited by Voodoobrew; 11-21-2018 at 07:22 PM.
Voodoobrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 07:45 AM   #907
RCC Addict

Does anybody know if I can still use the Castle link with old outdated Vista machine? It's all I have with windows and don't really want to get a new laptop just for a Castle link.
kincer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 09:22 AM   #908
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by kincer View Post
Does anybody know if I can still use the Castle link with old outdated Vista machine? It's all I have with windows and don't really want to get a new laptop just for a Castle link.
I would say probably... Under the hood Vista and 7 are very similar. If there were an issue, it would most likely be with the program, not the hardware, so I'd download the program and see if it installs and runs correctly. If that works, you should be fine...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
JSterrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 07:43 AM   #909
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kincer View Post
Works on my Win10 Surface. You could always borrow a laptop or even take your esc to a friend’s house. Vista?? Lol
Browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 09:51 AM   #910
I wanna be Dave

The free windows 10 update, why did I listen to General Ackbars advice
Old 11-23-2018, 10:17 AM   #911
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browneye View Post
Works on my Win10 Surface. You could always borrow a laptop or even take your esc to a friend’s house. Vista?? Lol
I use a Chromebook for surfing internet now, I use that old Vista laptop to hack Flysky radios on occasion, works great for that lol
kincer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 06:09 PM   #912
Rock Crawler

just need to confirm, wiring two 2S packs in parallel will double amp hour rating, but will C rating (amp output rating) also double?
Old 11-23-2018, 10:58 PM   #913
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
just need to confirm, wiring two 2S packs in parallel will double amp hour rating, but will C rating (amp output rating) also double?
I don't know if the c rating will double, but amp draw per second can be doubled.

Don't know what c ratings are exactly. But it probably doubles. Everything doubles except voltage and sag.
Old 11-24-2018, 12:12 AM   #914
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoobrew View Post
I don't know if the c rating will double, but amp draw per second can be doubled.

Don't know what c ratings are exactly. But it probably doubles. Everything doubles except voltage and sag.
C rating is just a fancy way to say how many amps you can draw from it. Ah x c rating = Amp rating, a 2200mah 30c will put out about 64 amps. At least that's what I remember.

Old 11-24-2018, 03:28 AM   #915
I wanna be Dave

If amps/Ah=c rating then the c-rating will stay the same. But you will have 2x Amps and 2x Ah.
Old 11-24-2018, 05:23 AM   #916
RCC Addict

Batteries in parallel is like getting a bigger pool, it's more total volume but the flow is the same

If you put them in series, it's like getting a bigger pump, same volume with more flow.

Old 11-24-2018, 06:49 AM   #917
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Batteries in parallel is like getting a bigger pool, it's more total volume but the flow is the same

If you put them in series, it's like getting a bigger pump, same volume with more flow.

If using water as an analogy, I'm pretty sure amperage=flow rate and voltage=pressure. Parallel will get you twice the capacity (mAh) and flow rate (Amps). Series will get you double the pressure (Voltage), but capacity and flow rate will stay the same...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
JSterrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 06:56 AM   #918
RCC Addict

I don't think it doubles the amps
I thought they would just become a bigger reserve but not more amps

Old 11-24-2018, 09:02 AM   #919
Rock Crawler

In my mind if you double capacity (Ah), C rating should stay the same, because it is Amps / Ah, but since both amps and amp hours should double, the C rating should stay the same. Right?

A 30c 2Ah battery can't put out as many amps as a 30c 4Ah battery, I think.

Old 11-24-2018, 09:12 AM   #920
RCC Addict

Quote:
In my mind if you double capacity (Ah), C rating should stay the same, because it is Amps / Ah, but since both amps and amp hours should double, the C rating should stay the same. Right?

A 30c 2Ah battery can't put out as many amps as a 30c 4Ah battery, I think.

I barely remember my electricity classes from college...
I could be wrong

Have tech questions? Will answer. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
suspension tech questions. Gen3_Teg_88 General Crawlers 9 07-13-2018 08:29 AM
axle tech questions 808eng_rc Multi Axle Rigs 4 11-07-2013 02:08 PM
(HH) Tech Questions and Customer support thread JohnRobHolmes Holmes Hobbies 3483 02-05-2013 09:08 PM
2 stupid newbie questions needs answer Mysterious Axial XR10 21 06-18-2012 09:22 AM
? Who has the answer to thes questions ? mik236 Team Losi Comp Crawler 12 05-23-2010 02:40 PM