Thread: Nylint Customer Support & Breakage Reports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2005, 11:42 AM   #161
Rock Crawler

i still have yet to recieve my battery >..<
ScGRaceR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-2005, 01:38 PM   #162

I'm thinking mine will be going back to Wal-Mart here soon and just get my $$$ back.
Big Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2005, 03:51 AM   #163

Default nylint

OK I didnt break mine "yet" but when I do how am I supposed to return it. Do you guys go to Wally world and tellem its broke and you want a new one. Or do you clean it up real good and just say you want another body style ? mines totally stock just got a ton of scratches on the bottom and a few on the roll bar , ohh yeah and the tires are real dirty after going through a mud hole in the yard which was actually dog $h!t
tomh1426@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2005, 10:26 AM   #164
I wanna be Dave

I just broke my steering some how. Only had it for 3 days. All it want's to do is makes a little noise, but the tires don't move. Goes foward and backwards but won't turn. Any thougths? I what it workin again soon. I all ready e-mailed funrise to see what they can do.
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 10:10 PM   #165

Lost my rear drive today, along with slipping front belt from last week, and from the week before can no longer shift into high. Kinda suck's after 1 month. No hard play, all I have is a hole with with some rock's in it. Not boulders, rock's 5 in tall max, the hole maybe a foot deep, maybe. So in low gear creeping along at 1 mph does my microscopic course constitute really hardcore rock crawling.

Hey like the funrise ad say's......GET OVER IT......it's gonna break
sesehuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 11:36 AM   #166

i ve been having a blast with my nylint. this is my first rc so my bar isnt set to high, but would have probably never coughed up 500 bones for a real one. other than a few pins and the blue piece that connects the gear cage to the axle they have been running great. i think it makes it alot like a real 1:1 stuff breaks on them too,drivelines, axles/u joints/ball joints(nothing like a trail fix ). i hope nylint keeps making these things, upgradable gear and spare parts. my .02
GreenCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 09:39 PM   #167
Rock Stacker

Default Breakage?

NYLINT stands behind every model they make. Contact

customerservice@funrise.com

They will make it right! These people make toys for a living, and they know how to provide really great service. Give them a chance!
slashsplat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 09:43 PM   #168
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudinyeri
I sent them my power lead a week and a half ago and have e-mailed for an ETA with no response. The promise of stellar customer service seems to be losing its twinkle.
Please, folks! You have NO IDEA how many of these have been sold! Keeping up with replacement parts is a Herculean task. One week and a half is no time at all given the tens of thousands that W-M seems to have sold. They just do not have the people or infrastructure to respond instantly. Give them several weeks.

"Stellar" is NOT "Instant."

Requesting an ETA is just adding one more e-mail to the mountains that they are processing.

Be patient, they will get to everyone. How many "TOY" companies would even be thinking about supplying replacement parts for a rock crawler???
Old 10-02-2005, 08:22 PM   #169
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by slashsplat
Please, folks! You have NO IDEA how many of these have been sold! Keeping up with replacement parts is a Herculean task. One week and a half is no time at all given the tens of thousands that W-M seems to have sold. They just do not have the people or infrastructure to respond instantly. Give them several weeks.

"Stellar" is NOT "Instant."

Requesting an ETA is just adding one more e-mail to the mountains that they are processing.

Be patient, they will get to everyone. How many "TOY" companies would even be thinking about supplying replacement parts for a rock crawler???
First, actually I DO have some idea of how many of these have been sold. I can easily perform simple arithmetic and extrapolate from the number in stock at WalMarts near me (~7 on average) and from knowing the number of WalMarts in the U.S (~3600). From that I have probably at least as good an idea as you have, if, as you claim, you are not a Funrise employee. BTW, that would be approximately 2.5 tens of thousands, assuming the stock has turned over at least once. Having watched the stock at one of my WalMarts closely, I doubt that is the case. I would guess that WalMart has sold closer to 10,000 or fewer units - both 1:6 and 1:18

Second, I never asked for instant service. I didn't even ask for stellar service. The Funrise customer service person came on this forum and "advertised" how great their customer service would be. As it turns out, the service was pretty good. I liked not having to send in the entire old chassis. That was a nice touch. As for the e-mails, a little bit of pro-active communication can prevent a whole lot of re-active communication. Ever heard the saying, "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure"? A simple, automated confirmation of receipt and re-confirmation of shipping turn-around would have done the trick. (Of course, we have several individuals on this forum who have waited much longer than the estimated turn-around time. Those people should receive a second pro-active e-mail providing them with a new ETA.)

Third, you're right. Most toy companies don't provide much in the way of warranty service. Then again, most toys don't cost $150. I would return most toys that broke within a week of their purchase to the retailer. But, again, the Funrise C/S person asked that we not do that. From a business operations perspective, if you're going to go around "normal channels" you better have a pretty darn good alternative ready and waiting.

Finally, as I mentioned in another post, a small amount of testing should have revealed to Funrise that they would have either a significant number of retailer returns or warranty claims. This thing weighs 30 lbs and is supposedly designed to navigate rocky terrain. Counting on soft plastic where all that weight and rubber meets the road, so to speak, is questionable logic. I've run numerous off-the-shelf R/C vehicles over the years and not one of them has broken as easily and quickly as this one.

Now, with all that being said, don't get me wrong ... I think both the 1:18 and 1:6 rigs that I have are fun toys. I just think the business processes behind them, e.g. design, testing, warranty claims handling, leave something to be desired.

Last edited by Mudinyeri; 10-02-2005 at 08:31 PM.
Mudinyeri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 12:40 AM   #170

Thumbs up

RIGHT ON!!! Very well said Mudinyeri.

Regards Keith
kdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 08:15 AM   #171
Quarry Creeper

Worn out axle end piece:

Axle shaft would bind up and finally exploded the steering:

Lt. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 04:30 PM   #172

Slashsplat- Just thought you should know......the Scorpion was NOT originated by Heath Biggs or Mike Seay, but by Soni Honegger! Soni built his second one for Heath, and then he showed up to Top Truck Challenge and won. I have worked at 4Wheel & Off Road, Four Wheeler, Jp, even launched 4x4 Builder a few years back at Buckaroo Communications. Soni would often help us out at Top Truck Challenge, and should be getting credit for the original design we have featured in the mags in the late 90's many times, and even recently in FW. If any of you ever want to wheel with the real scorpion, he's usually at TDS (Tierra Del Sol/ Truckhaven hills) at Salton City, CA the first weekend of March every year!
NPCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 06:10 PM   #173

Default broke truck and new chassis on the way in 2-3 weeks

I broke my rear diff this weekend after climbing a simple incline that had some pretty tall grass on it. When my Jeep did this I was a little pi$$@& off but I have seen all of your poasts on this thread and saw that the funrise customer service was pretty nice to deal with. Well today I called the bentonville AZ showroom and a guy named Dave answered and was really nice and told me to get ahold of steve (the head man). So I called him and he didnt answer so I let a message that I just bought it 2 weeks ago and It has broken allready and I didnt want to talke it back to Wallyworld(which is a bad idea to do anyways). So about 30 minutes later Steve called me back and askes what the problem was, so i told him and he asked for my address and told me that I would have a brand new chassis at my door in 2-3 weeks. You might think that 2-3 weeks is long but Its pretty damn fast if you think about it. But as everybody says dont take it back to walmart, its the truth just talk to customer service and they are very nice and will do anything to get you back running. Thumbs up to funrise for standing by there products.
chadw_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 08:17 PM   #174
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog
RIGHT ON!!! Very well said Mudinyeri.

Regards Keith
As Keith says, Mud, much of what you speak is TRUTH. And certainly well-said.

All I can offer is the *explanation* that the success of the "toy" was unprecedented at Funrise. You are right about testing. You are right about a solid alternative to "return-to_Wally." You are right about the immaturity of some of the processes.

You are right about much, but the fact is that, as good as Funrise is, this is NOT a science - yet. This is a remarkable engineering achievement if you knew the true development timeframe imposed on Funrise (by a large un-named retailer). The suspension is so innovative they have a Patent Pending. And all of this was done in a timeframe and cost structure that was acceptable to Wal-Mart, the largest, and most difficult retailer in the World. That the product showed up at all is remarkable, and having watched the steps, I am much more understanding of the BS&T (blood, sweat and tears, of course) that went into getting to where we are.

One area you are not correct. The numbers bear me out, plural tens is absolutely accurate. I was not exaggerating.

The business process DOES need to develop, YES! And they are working feverishly on that. And that was the point of my response to you, that they REALLY are working to build the huge infrastructure that is required - they are not sitting there trying to just take advantage of the moment, and run. They are in this for the long run, and your comments do not go ignored.
Old 10-03-2005, 11:39 PM   #175

Ya that sounds right on the money.
Didnt Soni use the drivetrain off of Heaths scout to build the scorpion?
I also thought that the MK1 was the first one ever built and that Soni made the first plans on a napkin.
wolverine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 06:39 AM   #176
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
One area you are not correct. The numbers bear me out, plural tens is absolutely accurate. I was not exaggerating.
2.5 is plural, right?

Anyway, I appreciate your response and Funrise's response to my inquiry. I fully understand time-to-market pressures and that iron-clad processes often are a lower priority than product releases. My only real complaint was that the VERY subjective promise of customer service that would impress buyers was not met in my definition. I believe it was not met for all the reasons you and I stated.

I know from very personal experience that it is extremely difficult to overcome negative perceptions created during an initial product release. If you read many of the posts on this board, it's obvious that several factors have combined to create those perceptions. First, incredible amounts of breakage in very short post-purchase time periods. Second, a promise of exceptional customer service that has been met in some cases and not met in quite a few others. Third, a not-so-customer-friendly attitude when calling for warranty service (my own personal experience and that of others).

I wish Funrise the best of luck and would be happy to provide some process consulting if they're interested (that's what I do for a living). We might even be able to work out a trade arrangement for more crawlers; maybe even a 1:1!

Last edited by Mudinyeri; 10-04-2005 at 06:43 AM.
Mudinyeri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 07:20 AM   #177
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPCrawler
Slashsplat- Just thought you should know......the Scorpion was NOT originated by Heath Biggs or Mike Seay, but by Soni Honegger!
I hear you and understand you were there. I have researched the origins over the last six years, having spoken to virutally ever person associated with the vehicle in any way. All is not quite as simple and clear as the common stories that seemingly all originated with one aggressively self-promoting fellow.
Old 10-04-2005, 02:38 PM   #178

With no insult to injury here, there is a new version with updated parts moving into the supply chain at Wally World. Looks like they are trying to fix what is out there while fixing the others before they ship.

Again, no excuse for the past, but you have to admit that is huge for a toy company.
GACrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 12:59 AM   #179

Lightbulb

Nylint, lets figure out the weak points on this rig, and then sell us the upgraded parts. I love my Nylint jeep and I don't want to see it all end. I can afford to go out and spend 3 times as much as the Nylint to get my needs met in a crawler rig. but I believe in an Affordable crawler. Anyway we can get our kids off the couch and outside doing fun things is a Godsend.

Goodtimes ....Keith
kdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 10:21 AM   #180

Amen, an online parts store might be a good idea (hint hint)

You could sell replacement, upgrade, and even premium upgrade parts if you so chose. With the sales numbers I see above it would certainly seem to be a wise thing to do.
GACrawler is offline   Reply With Quote