Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Exceed mad torque 1/8 to 1/10 scale budget build!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2014, 04:22 PM   #41
Quarry Creeper

Just realized I have posted any pics of our crawlin course.

I really need to get some vids posted.
Crawlin' Lobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-2014, 08:23 PM   #42
Rock Stacker

That looks like fun I have to admit, I'm not into crawling, but love using axles since it makes making my own car easy.
Seeing some people's tracks does make me interested in crawling more though.
beomagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 10:25 AM   #43
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Exceed mad torque 1/8 to 1/10 scale budget build!

Looks fun although do you think an axial is better than exceed..I think so but cool build you have.
axial 4x4 crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 11:49 AM   #44
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by axial 4x4 crawler View Post
Looks fun although do you think an axial is better than exceed..I think so but cool build you have.
Axial has a lot of aftermarket support to make them better but out of the box exceed and other cheap brands come with tougher components like metal links. Whether one is better than the other is just personal opinion. Since most things on a crawler get upgraded anyway I think a cheaper base cost exceed beats axial any day.
Thanks for checkin out the build tho.
Old 07-05-2014, 05:52 PM   #45
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawlin' Lobster View Post
Axial has a lot of aftermarket support to make them better but out of the box exceed and other cheap brands come with tougher components like metal links. Whether one is better than the other is just personal opinion. Since most things on a crawler get upgraded anyway I think a cheaper base cost exceed beats axial any day.
Thanks for checkin out the build tho.
Well...yeah but exceed is cheap quality parts. That aluminum is Chinese and is not made like true American aluminum is. Like vanquish, there links are titanium. My custom built axial fastback would kill an exceed crawler, easily because its a comp crawler. But you are right, its personal opinion although I'd rather spend my money on good quality rc's, unlike exceed. I'm just saying this cause my neighbor had a 1/10 maxstone and my scx10 dominated that thing anywhere. My scx10 is not set up for rock crawling and it did so much better than his exceed, he actually broke both diffs and screwed up so much else. Either which way, after seeing that I will NEVER buy exceed, axial is what I drive but anyways, your welcome, I like to look at other peoples build threads, but it seems your on the right track to getting into crawling.
Old 07-05-2014, 06:14 PM   #46
I wanna be Dave

That course is great! Is that set up in someone's backyard or at a park?
Johnnysplits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 06:30 PM   #47
Rock Stacker

Dude, the name you use is Axial. No offense intended, but it's kind of hard to take people seriously when they name themselves after a brand, and proceed to claim that brand's product is superior to another.

Wether or not your statements are correct, you just came into a wip thread on another brand crawler, and simply declared it a waste of money. That's messed up.
beomagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 09:22 PM   #48
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Well...yeah but exceed is cheap quality parts. That aluminum is Chinese and is not made like true American aluminum is. Like vanquish, there links are titanium. My custom built axial fastback would kill an exceed crawler, easily because its a comp crawler. But you are right, its personal opinion although I'd rather spend my money on good quality rc's, unlike exceed. I'm just saying this cause my neighbor had a 1/10 maxstone and my scx10 dominated that thing anywhere. My scx10 is not set up for rock crawling and it did so much better than his exceed, he actually broke both diffs and screwed up so much else. Either which way, after seeing that I will NEVER buy exceed, axial is what I drive but anyways, your welcome, I like to look at other peoples build threads, but it seems your on the right track to getting into crawling.
Any custom built comp crawler would kill a basic exceed. I just know my $200 mt dominates my friends $1200 scx and is just as capable if not more than another's $900 deadbolt. My whole intention was to build something that was different than what everyone else does and as low budget as possible.

Last edited by Crawlin' Lobster; 07-05-2014 at 11:26 PM.
Old 07-05-2014, 09:23 PM   #49
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnysplits View Post
That course is great! Is that set up in someone's backyard or at a park?
It's in my friends parents back yard. Great place to play and test rigs limits.
Also have a decent size wood pile in the driveway.

Last edited by Crawlin' Lobster; 07-05-2014 at 09:43 PM.
Old 07-05-2014, 09:41 PM   #50
Quarry Creeper

So my build cost actually is now about $260.

Picked up full set of wheel bearings, a cheap axial 55t, and a pair of 15t pinion gears. My lhs only had 1 of the motors so they ordered the 2nd for me. Will be here on wed. Put the new motor in the front and swapped the front 60t to the rear. Added the 15t pinions on each. It's definitely interesting having different turn motors on each axle. Going from the stock 12t pinion to a 15t made it noticeably faster. Before I could walk faster that it at full speed not anymore. Quicker than an axial setup with a 45t and stock gearing. New bearing got rid of the play in my wheels I had been noticing lately.

Just a couple Ford's posing.
Old 07-05-2014, 09:45 PM   #51
RCC Addict

Quote:
The exceed setup sucks out of the box, but so does axial! I also don't think the aluminum or plastic is much different in durability between exceed and axial. It's all in what you make of it! I'm running an exceed gear case with PLASTIC gears on my rear axle of my 2.2 pro. It took 1 1/2 years to finally break a gear, and actually it broke the small metal gear which in turn chewed up the larger plastic, otherwise the plastic ones would still be going strong! Most people blow of these rigs, but they actually stomp axial dollar for dollar!
Tgreer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 10:34 PM   #52
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Any custom built comp crawler would kill a basic exceed. I just know my $200 mt dominates my friends $1200 scx and is just as capable if not more than another's $900 deadbolt. My whole intention was to build something that was different that what everyone else does and as low budget as possible.
Yeah I understand what you're saying
Old 07-05-2014, 11:30 PM   #53
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgreer View Post
The exceed setup sucks out of the box, but so does axial! I also don't think the aluminum or plastic is much different in durability between exceed and axial. It's all in what you make of it! I'm running an exceed gear case with PLASTIC gears on my rear axle of my 2.2 pro. It took 1 1/2 years to finally break a gear, and actually it broke the small metal gear which in turn chewed up the larger plastic, otherwise the plastic ones would still be going strong! Most people blow of these rigs, but they actually stomp axial dollar for dollar!
Can't beat the cost of stock replacement gears either, Metal or plastic both cheap and durable. And I'll take cheaper more solid metal links over stock plastic axial links anyday.

Last edited by Crawlin' Lobster; 07-05-2014 at 11:37 PM.
Old 07-05-2014, 11:33 PM   #54
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Yeah I understand what you're saying
Now you can stop trying to push axial on other ppls threads.
Old 07-06-2014, 11:09 AM   #55
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Now you can stop trying to push axial on other ppls threads.
Alright, sure thing
Old 07-07-2014, 03:08 PM   #56
Quarry Creeper

Went on a trail run with my buddy and his deadbolt yesterday to test out the new motor setup.

After only about 20 min the new 15t pinion on the front motor failed. Not sure what it was made of but definitely cheap metal. Checked the back and it seemed fine. Put my stock pinion back in the front so now I have a 55turn and 12t front and 60turn 15t rear. Front tires rotate 1 1/4 times to 1 turn of the rear. Worked good the rest of the day.

Went to play some more with the Frankenstein rig and $10 crawler and couldn't resist this all ford photo op. What could be more "Merican"?

Old 07-07-2014, 09:38 PM   #57
Rock Crawler

love the truck and its a sick track too!
Hammer! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 10:35 PM   #58
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer! View Post
love the truck and its a sick track too!
Thx. Have plans for both to get better.
Old 07-08-2014, 03:09 AM   #59
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Thx. Have plans for both to get better.
Can't wait to see
Hammer! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 04:46 PM   #60
Quarry Creeper

Got a set of 2.2 proline beadlocks from a friend and some bfg krawlers with proline memory foams from craigslist. Both still basically like new condition.

Gave the wheels a little facelift. Painted them blue with a silver mist to match the body. Bl rings got just silver.

The rims have a more inset backspacing so my width is slightly more narrow which I like.

Did a quick test run and first impression is they are softer than the treps. Did great climbing a big pile of crushed gravel and seemed to bite nice on the the bigger rocks as well. Will do more comparison testing when I can at our course.

Exceed mad torque 1/8 to 1/10 scale budget build! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Exceed Mad Torque - Extensive Review and build thread monkeyracer Superclass Crawlers 96 06-25-2016 07:55 AM
Budget Mad Torque Build / Custom body srosamechanic Superclass Crawlers 10 12-17-2015 12:16 PM
Exceed Mad Torque Super Build motoj550 Superclass Crawlers 38 10-22-2013 05:13 PM
Exceed mad torque Build dannymac Superclass Crawlers 17 01-30-2013 07:17 PM
New To RC, Exceed Mad Torque Build woodsracer Superclass Crawlers 17 11-08-2012 11:49 PM