Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Attn: NEWBIES POST HERE<<<<<<

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2014, 07:02 PM   #1961

Default Re: Attn: NEWBIES POST HERE<<<<<<

Hey starter-mom. RC4WD has a ready to run truck called the rock dragon. Should be a great truck to start with and their products are excellent.
ccrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-2014, 01:38 AM   #1962
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by starter-mom View Post
I apologize for any confusion or if this question has already been answered. I have a 9 yr old son that is dying to have a RC crawler for Christmas . I DO NOT want to spend more than $300.00 for his first vehicle. Obviously he is young, but he is very responsible. He wants to climb and create obstacles on our property. I do not know where to start. I do not know what to stay away from. The only brand I have laid my eyes on are the Axials. How are they on durability, repair costs for brushed and is there another brand you would prefer over this one (within guidelines). Does Traxxas make a crawler? HELP!!
Hi concerned mother, luckily you're posting in the right place. For the price, it's hard to beat the SCX10 Deadbolt RTR, Tower Hobbies has it with the coupon for only $266, shipped way before Christmas.

I like my Deadbolt, it is a fun truck and since it's essentially just the SCX10 platform, the truck has a huge aftermarket support and parts are no worry. I haven't had any breakages on mine yet but I've only put about a weeks worth of driving on it. Here's a good video to show you what to expect.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lToVgAdlVA

One thing to check is to see if you have any local hobby shops in your area that sell parts.

That is all just my opinion, I'm sure others answering will recommend other things of course, but you really can't go wrong with an Axial truck since they have tons of support and this website is a gigantic knowledge base.
Sneetches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 09:35 AM   #1963

Thank you all so much for your help. I really don't know anything about these. I know he has asked for a gas powered crawler and I am not going that route. Our local Hobby shop has both crawlers and vehicles that speed up to 60 mph. Since he asked for the crawler I was trying to gear towards those, however they are more expensive. Any vehicles besides gas that I should stay away from? Again he's 9 and will be using it outside.
starter-mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 10:22 AM   #1964
RCC Addict

Well, aside from staying away from nitro right now(learning curve and no help tuning/etc, can't crawl), are the "60 mph" vehicles the Traxxas VXL models? Either way, those aren't meant for what the SCX10 does, they can't really crawl well or traverse obstacles, they're more for high speed driving and jumping. Traxxas's crawler is called the "Summit" but at $700 it's not in consideration here.

The beginner Axial models aren't too expensive, especially from Tower. The Deadbolt is $265 and the other AX10 should only be about $280. For what they can do, they're perfectly fine for entry into the hobby.
Sneetches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 11:01 AM   #1965

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneetches View Post
Well, aside from staying away from nitro right now(learning curve and no help tuning/etc, can't crawl), are the "60 mph" vehicles the Traxxas VXL models? Either way, those aren't meant for what the SCX10 does, they can't really crawl well or traverse obstacles, they're more for high speed driving and jumping. Traxxas's crawler is called the "Summit" but at $700 it's not in consideration here.

The beginner Axial models aren't too expensive, especially from Tower. The Deadbolt is $265 and the other AX10 should only be about $280. For what they can do, they're perfectly fine for entry into the hobby.
Thank you again. I figured if I was going to get straight information, I should contact previous buyers and not sellers. Thanks a bunch!!
Old 12-13-2014, 01:17 PM   #1966
Quarry Creeper

Wink Re: Attn: NEWBIES POST HERE<<<<<<

What up what up coming to you here from Yakima wa crawler aholic love the scene hit trails and crawling it up in the big northwest ....
rcaholic13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 04:56 PM   #1967
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneetches View Post

If I had it to do over I would have gone straight to the scx10 Deadbolt. Great truck for a beginner.
Randy Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 11:11 PM   #1968

So as I mentioned before, I am new a this Rc stuff. As I was getting ready to purchase the Scx-10 deadbolt from tower hobbies, I beleive I read something that indicated the vehicle does not come with a battery or charger. Are you kidding me? Lol! That could be bad. So what battery and charger should I buy? Also, will this vehicle handle water no deeper than the tires? I don't have much more time to purchase for Christmas, but want to make sure I do the right thing. Ugh.. Thanks again in advance.
Old 12-15-2014, 03:52 PM   #1969
Quarry Creeper

No worries. I jumped the gun myself for my sons Christmas and have ended up paying more than I planned. You're defiantly doing it right.

As to the batteries there is a lot to learn.

Venom LiPo 2s 7.4V 3300mAh 25C Hard case
It comes with 4 different connectors I can't see which connector the deadbolt has on it but it should be one of the 4.
Tower hobbies part number: LXBDZT

As for the charger.
Duratrax Li-24 2S-4S AC Balance Charger
Comes with a Deans plug connector which the battery has and it is listed as a enters level charger.
Tower Hobbies part number: LXDVNT

I am a novice at this hobbie also but I'm sure this will get the truck rolling. The LiPo batteries are recommended to me most often when talking with others. Just be sure to read and understand the instructions and warnings. The battery should give him a pretty good run time between charges. The truck is LiPo compatible. If you're still unsure you might give Tower Hobbies a ring.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-15-2014, 09:02 PM   #1970

There is a bundle pack option with the truck. I wonder if this is the best way to go?
Old 12-16-2014, 03:34 PM   #1971

Hi guys name is Bob live in southern Maine. I have a T-max 3.3 a nitro street car about 4 different kinds of helicopters 2 planes a drone and the reason I joined this site a new Axial Yeti. Looking forward to meeting every body over time.
Oh and how do I post a pick and also I can't seem to find the classifieds how do I get to them?....
No I'm just playing with that last part. I know pay 20 or 30/30 just messing with you guys.
Cpt.Crapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 05:23 PM   #1972
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by starter-mom View Post
There is a bundle pack option with the truck. I wonder if this is the best way to go?
Do that!

Welcome Cpt.
Old 12-18-2014, 08:03 AM   #1973
Rock Stacker

Greetings!

Been out of the RC game for 20 years. Used to race stadium trucks back then. Recently moved out of the city and bought a few acres in the woods. I have a big ravine that usually has standing water in a couple spots. Lots of trees down too. I am looking to get back into the hobby. My RC10T is not any fun playing out in the woods. I need something more capable. Reading about Axial and Summit.

Enjoy!

John
John_Fizel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 03:00 PM   #1974

Happy Holidays! My name is Matt and I live in Santa Fe, New Mexico. I have a few different crawlers. 3 SCX10's, 2 MRC's and 2 Micro trail trekkers. I have been on this site for about 2 years just looking and getting info. This site has been a "REAL BIG HELP". Thanks to everyone for all the help and great post .
Matt
Scale Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 11:50 PM   #1975

Hello all, I've been visiting the forum a long time(every time I google anything crawler related). I figured I would join.
Ok let's see...
Who you are?: Trindal
What kind of rig you have?: to many to list, crawlers are Losi Nightcrawler, Gmade R1,Axial XR10 and building on a Y-town Crawlers beetle juice V4.
Where you live?: Clarksburg WV
I do have a question and thanks in advance for any help.
Regarding the Y-town BJv4, where might I be able to find a pre-cut & painted set of body panels?
And I'm getting this use so it's been used a while. Is it possible to find the just the cab portion of the body?
Again any help would be awesome and I'll do my best to continue looking for them myself tomorrow. Good night.
Trindal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 01:04 PM   #1976
Rock Stacker

Merry Christmas everyone. I'm Kevin in Lake Charles, LA. I've only been crawling a couple of months. I never thought I would enjoy driving an RC slowly. So my 2 Slash 4x4's sit idle while I enjoy my SXC10 Rubicon G6 and my recently completed TF2.

Lots of good info in the posts on this site.
kcbeatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 12:10 PM   #1977
Pebble Pounder

Another Newbie lol
Hi everyone and must say 1st off this is a great looking sight so big thanks to all Admins and Mods

Basic info,
My Name is Randy I'm From Oshawa Canada.
I have TF2 and Stomper that me and my son have alot of fun with.
SirChirpAlot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 08:20 PM   #1978
Rock Crawler

I've been out of the R/C game for quite a few years. Use to race stadium trucks and the old school monster trucks. Eventually moved up to 1/8 gas buggies. I've had my eye on crawlers for some time now, and over the weekend in a moment of weakness, I bought one. Just a cheapie RedCat Everest, but for $133 I figured what the heck. It does look like I picked a good time to get back into R/C. The cost of everything has fallen through the floor! And the advances that have been made are amazing. Brushless motors were only seen in magazine articles and nobody could afford them anyway. Now a good one cost less than the hand wound modifieds I use to hold in such high regard.
Now for some newbie questions. Are Novak and Tekin as good as they use to be? I was looking at the Novak crawler speedo and brushless motor last night and almost had a weak moment once again. Since I'm more or less clueless about anything R/C anymore, I figured I had better ask the experts. Also, does any one run hot modified brushed motor's in their crawlers? Something like a 13 double? I know I have a ton to learn about crawling, and I may tend to be stuck in my old ways, but excessive horse power and the ability to create extreme wheel speed have always been useful at times in certain instances. Or am I going at this all backwards??? From many videos I've watched, most seem very slow and lethargic with just enough power to get through the terrain. Seems that most of the ones I chose to watch get stuck in places they should be able to power out of, but cant.
Somebody straighten me out here!
Jeepiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 10:25 AM   #1979
Pebble Pounder

Hello all. I'm just like brand new - joined a long time ago but I have been away from rc for a long time (raced 1/10 gas with an Associated GT tub truck lol).
Tried an early attempt with a brushlees E Maxx and went into 1/8 scale gas shortly before burnout hit. Still have the Ofna Blazer SST .
I have a Losi mini crawler collecting dust -it would climb everything in the house!
Time passed..
Now I have just purchased a Axial Wraith Spawn rtr. Is this considered entry level? Looks like many parts are available.
I have rocks on the side of my house so I'll practice there! :-)

I believe my small town has rock racing!? Would this rig be competent? Should I do the usual aluminum steering knuckles and such?
Should I leave plastic links underneath or go aluminum in my suspension? I'll get shocks when the stockers begin to get crappy.

Sorry for the questions and thanks for the answers, and I'll search away.

Cheers.
Maxxamillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 06:23 PM   #1980

Hey y'all!! been creeping a while decided to start posting up finally haha

I have:
axial AX10 scorpion
Axial XR10
and a very custom SCX10 mud truck haha

I am from napes, and fairly new to RC world
tegwin is offline   Reply With Quote