Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > General Scale Talk

Notices

Thread: 1.9 Barrage RTR 1/10 Crawler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2017, 04:52 AM   #321
Rock Crawler

Default Re: 1.9 Barrage RTR 1/10 Crawler

Do all Barrage's have the shocks outboard like that? Because the RGT/HSP version has them inboard (inside the chassis rails).

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
honchojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-2017, 07:20 AM   #322

Quote:
Originally Posted by honchojoe View Post
Do all Barrage's have the shocks outboard like that? Because the RGT/HSP version has them inboard (inside the chassis rails).
Hey Joe,

No, the original Barrage released about October 2016 has its shocks mounted inboard on the frame rails. This new Barrage kit has a few more changes to the chassis, and they are described on the Horizon Hobby website page for the new kit. This new kit also has a slightly bigger motor. My original Barrage is great for my use, but this kit and its changes does look interesting to me.

Best wishes,
Dave Wile
David Wile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 09:05 AM   #323

I like the kit idea too. However I wish they would sell a receiver ready version. I use FLYSKY receivers and transmitter for my ground vehicles. Have no need for another transmitter or receiver and would reduce cost significantly.

Pete
Peterv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 09:14 AM   #324
clm
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterv View Post
I like the kit idea too. However I wish they would sell a receiver ready version. I use FLYSKY receivers and transmitter for my ground vehicles. Have no need for another transmitter or receiver and would reduce cost significantly.

Pete
Seconded, I was actually really interested when I saw it was a kit... until I saw I was still paying for all the electronics. A few bucks cheaper and you have to build it and paint it. Eh, almost not worth it. They definitely lost my attention when I saw it still had all the rtr electronics.
clm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 09:40 AM   #325

Quote:

Pete
Quote:
Originally Posted by clm View Post
Seconded, I was actually really interested when I saw it was a kit... until I saw I was still paying for all the electronics. A few bucks cheaper and you have to build it and paint it. Eh, almost not worth it. They definitely lost my attention when I saw it still had all the rtr electronics.

Hey Pete & Clm,

I did not know you could use a plane transmitter and receiver to drive these things. Did I understand you correctly? I have a four-channel Spektrum airplane receiver not in use, and I do use a Spektrum DX8 transmitter for airplanes. It really would be nice if I could put that receiver in my Barrage and use my DX8 transmitter for it. Is that possible?

Painting the new kit is not for me either. However, I do not think the transmitter and receiver in the Barrage would add that much cost to the total unit. If they sold a plug and play version without the transmitter, receiver, battery, and charging stuff, I doubt if that would give them a drop in wholesale cost more than ten or fifteen dollars, and that would be all they could drop their retail price.

If I could use an airplane receiver and transmitter in the Barrage, I would rather skip the those items also.

Thanks to Pete's advice some time ago, I stopped taking my battery out of my Barrage. I just turn the switch off until I am ready to use it again. Thanks, Pete.

Best wishes,
Dave Wile
Old 07-30-2017, 10:14 PM   #326

The FLYSKY xmitter and rcvr are 3 channel with 9 model memory and many more options than the stock rcvr and xmitter. Cost $40 for the transmitter and a receiver. Plus the xmiter has a lipo. Very cool kit. I would expect the price to be $30 to $35 less without those 2. I may ask if they would sell the kit without. I know my old hobby shop would remove them from the kit and and sell to someone as you can buy both seperately from Horizon.
Some people use a 2 stick xmitter. Set up throttle for mid off and up for fowrard and down for reverse. Could take time to getting used to though.
Flysky FS-GT3C 2.4GHz 3CH Surface Radio System (Silver) - Surface Systems - Radios & TX Modules - Radios & Servos | Value Hobby
Pete
Old 07-30-2017, 10:31 PM   #327
clm
Quarry Creeper

Yup, what Peterv said. Flysky make ground and air radio sets, the gt3b and gt3c (as well as the clone Turnigy gtx3) can be firmware flashed to an 8 channel pistol grip or purchased preflashed. And then you use them with the 6 or 8 channel Flysky air receivers and you have all the channels you could ever want for a crawler or a scale truck. Best thing is the transmitters are so inexpensive that if they get broken it is not really a big deal at all.

As for using a 2 stick radio with a crawler, my Losi Mini Crawler is currently equipped with an Orangerx 6 channel dsm2 air receiver and I can use my Turnigy 9x or my Futaba 3pk to run it (both have a dsm2 air module in them.. unfortunately so in the 3pk case)
Old 07-30-2017, 10:32 PM   #328

Quote:
The FLYSKY xmitter and rcvr are 3 channel with 9 model memory and many more options than the stock rcvr and xmitter. Cost $40 for the transmitter and a receiver. Plus the xmiter has a lipo. Very cool kit. I would expect the price to be $30 to $35 less without those 2. I may ask if they would sell the kit without. I know my old hobby shop would remove them from the kit and and sell to someone as you can buy both seperately from Horizon.
Some people use a 2 stick xmitter. Set up throttle for mid off and up for fowrard and down for reverse. Could take time to getting used to though.
Flysky FS-GT3C 2.4GHz 3CH Surface Radio System (Silver) - Surface Systems - Radios & TX Modules - Radios & Servos | Value Hobby
Pete
Hey Pete,

Now, do I feel foolish. Reading your earlier post, I thought you were using an airplane transmitter and receiver in your ground vehicles, and I was all excited to do the same. That sure went over my head. Oh well, no fool like an old fool.

Best wishes,
Dave Wile
Old 07-30-2017, 10:37 PM   #329
clm
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Wile View Post
Hey Pete,

Now, do I feel foolish. Reading your earlier post, I thought you were using an airplane transmitter and receiver in your ground vehicles, and I was all excited to do the same. That sure went over my head. Oh well, no fool like an old fool.

Best wishes,
Dave Wile
No reason you can't use a 2.4ghz airplane transmitter and receiver, they will work just fine and you will have access to many extra channels
Old 07-31-2017, 06:54 AM   #330

Quote:
Hey Pete,

Best wishes,
Dave Wile
Quote:
Originally Posted by clm View Post
No reason you can't use a 2.4ghz airplane transmitter and receiver, they will work just fine and you will have access to many extra channels

Hey folks,

I feel like I am watching a tennis match here. First I get the idea I could use a 2.4 ghz airplane transmitter and receiver in my Barrage, and then it seems I cannot, and now Clm tells me I can. Are you guys tag teaming this old man into a complete breakdown?

When Pete first mentioned he used a Flysky transmitter and receiver, for some reason I simply assumed it was an airplane transmitter and receiver. I thought using my Spektrum 2.4 ghz transmitter and a spare receiver would be a great idea because it would allow me to use more channels and to bind more than one crawler to the transmitter. When I read his next post it seemed like I misunderstood completely.

Now it seems you do not think the idea is completely crazy. Pete did say some folks use an airplane transmitter with throttle set up for up-forward, mid-off, and down-reverse, but I assumed this was not a practical idea. If one were to use a standard 2.4 ghz airplane transmitter/receiver in a ground vehicle, could one simply use the right stick for forward/reverse and steering right and left? With the right stick self-centering, that would seem to be a better joy-stick control, but I may be missing something that is obviously wrong here?

I may just stick that four-channel receiver in my Barrage for a test drive if you folks do not tell me I am all wrong here.

Best wishes,
Dave Wile
Old 07-31-2017, 07:30 AM   #331
Rock Crawler

Air transmitters do work, but it not as easy to operate as a ground transmitter. It gives you a lot of channels at the cost of ease of use. There are some that use air transmitters on crawlers, usually super class competition crawlers that has steering on both axles, two motors, two esc and so on. But there is surface transmitters for that also, so it is more and more uncommon.
AngelowDoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 07:45 AM   #332

Hey Folks,

After making my last post, I actually read about the Flysky transmitter/receiver package for which Pete provided a link. After reading that, I started to think my idea of using an aircraft transmitter/receiver was really a solution looking for a problem. The Flysky transmitter/receiver has three-channels, and the package includes a LiPo battery which is a big plus for me. It also includes a data cable, but I have no idea for what that is used.

With my stock Barrage transmitter, I only have two channels, and right from the beginning I thought it would be nice to have an additional channel or two so I could turn lights on and off. With the original NiMH battery, I would run my Barrage without the lights plugged in to conserver power. After receiving two 2200 mAh LiPo batteries however, I quickly found I could let the lights plugged in all the time and still run my Barrage for hours on one charge.

This Flysky transmitter only has three channels, but at $40 it seems like a really good buy. Thanks Pete & Clm for you kind information.

Best wishes,
Dave Wile
Old 07-31-2017, 08:13 AM   #333
clm
Quarry Creeper

https://www.banggood.com/Dasmikro-Cu...p-1049732.html

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQJcEtR0zbs&t=70s

;)
Old 07-31-2017, 08:14 PM   #334
Rock Crawler

You can use the flight controller but the traditional flight TX has a non spring loaded stick for throttle on the left. It could work but would be a pain. You could use the right stick for throttle and left for steering but again it would suck lol. Go with the gt3c idea. I use a hacked gt3b and it's awesome.

PS. The usb cable is to charge the lipo in the TX.

Old 07-31-2017, 10:37 PM   #335

That's what I had a problem with using an air xmitter. Have not seen any with a spring loaded throtle stick. Would be a real pain to stop unless you set a broad dead zone in the center. May have to try it with my FrSky Taranis. 16 channels to work with! Have to look into putting a large area in the center being neutral/brake. Not good for racing but might work for crawling.
Old 07-31-2017, 11:53 PM   #336

Quote:
Originally Posted by honchojoe View Post
You can use the flight controller but the traditional flight TX has a non spring loaded stick for throttle on the left. It could work but would be a pain. You could use the right stick for throttle and left for steering but again it would suck lol. Go with the gt3c idea. I use a hacked gt3b and it's awesome.

PS. The usb cable is to charge the lipo in the TX.
Quote:
That's what I had a problem with using an air xmitter. Have not seen any with a spring loaded throtle stick. Would be a real pain to stop unless you set a broad dead zone in the center. May have to try it with my FrSky Taranis. 16 channels to work with! Have to look into putting a large area in the center being neutral/brake. Not good for racing but might work for crawling.

Hey Joe & Pete,

First allow me to say I am no longer interested in using a flight transmitter and receiver in my Barrage. If I were to get the new Barrage kit, I would go with the $40 Flysky 3-channel Pete suggested. That looks like a good deal to me and more simple.

Having said that, however, if one were to use a flight transmitter and receiver in the Barrage, why not use the right side stick for throttle and steering? Could you not put the throttle on the elevator function and the steering on the aileron function? What would keep one from plugging the ESC throttle plug into the elevator channel on the receiver and plugging the steering servo into the aileron channel on the receiver. If that would work, they you would have forward and reverse and steering right and left all on your right sick with self centering just like a joystick.

As I think about it, I would think it should be possible, but then I have a feeling that someone is sure to point out something simple that I missed completely. I hate when that happens.

Well, it sounds good in my mind, but the Flysky transmitter with its receiver and rechargeable LiPo batter is the way I will go if I get the Barrage Kit. I thank you guys and everyone else who have helped me learn a bit about the Barrage.

Best wishes,
Dave Wile
Old 08-01-2017, 12:45 AM   #337
Rock Crawler

Using a single joystick to control throttle and steering would be very tricky in a tight situation. You code use a mode 1 radio (mode 2 is the common one I think) with the non spring loaded stick on the right instead. Then you wpuld have a spring loaded stick on the left and use the right for steering. Then use all the other buttons etc for the extras.

Old 08-01-2017, 06:13 PM   #338

Anyone still driving stock ESC, if so what do you run for batteries.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk
VWJOBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 07:26 PM   #339

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWJOBO View Post
Anyone still driving stock ESC, if so what do you run for batteries.

Hey Jobo,

Yes, my ESC is the original. My servo burned out two days after I bought it last November, but I never had any issue with the ESC. My original NiMH 900 mAh battery worked just fine, but I bought a pair of LiPo 2200 mAh batteries simply because they are more convenient for me to charge.

Did you ask the question because you have had a problem with the ESC?

Best wishes,
Dave Wile
Old 08-01-2017, 07:34 PM   #340

Quote:
Hey Jobo,

Yes, my ESC is the original. My servo burned out two days after I bought it last November, but I never had any issue with the ESC. My original NiMH 900 mAh battery worked just fine, but I bought a pair of LiPo 2200 mAh batteries simply because they are more convenient for me to charge.

Did you ask the question because you have had a problem with the ESC?

Best wishes,
Dave Wile
No, just picked up some 2200 lips also but they look like they will push the ESC to it's limit on Amps. The 900mAh are great little batteries but have an event this weekend and wanted some more life for the event. Hopefully the ESC can handle a little extra. The batteries were a good deal of the work good. Tenergy 2200 lips 2cell, 3 for like 37 bucks, just need to change connectors on them. Not a big deal.

The servo crapped out on the first run with it. Stick in a Traxxas one. Made some spacers for behind it so it does not hit shocks, and it works good.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk
VWJOBO is offline   Reply With Quote