Notices

Thread: 1.9 Barrage RTR 1/10 Crawler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2017, 10:12 PM   #261
RCC Addict

Default Re: 1.9 Barrage RTR 1/10 Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evank View Post
What's the wheel base and brand on the body and brand on the bumpers and roof rack and other stuff like that
That is a custom build with ecx temper axles. Bumper to me looks custom. A believe the body is a new bright.
hillbillyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-2017, 10:19 PM   #262
RCC Addict

Other news, leaf springs!

Last edited by hillbillyrc; 04-18-2017 at 10:21 PM.
Old 04-19-2017, 10:08 AM   #263
I wanna be Dave

Very nice, going to use u-bolts or?
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 10:16 AM   #264
RCC Addict

I made a mini truss and bolted the leaf to them for now.

Which I will have the shocks mounted on to also. Once I get that far. Only was able to make one yesterday.
Old 04-19-2017, 04:09 PM   #265

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT Yankee View Post
I went with a cheaper winch I found on Amazon. I didn't feel like fighting with the mounting plate and screws, so I used super glue and mounted it to the front bumper that way. I clamped it down and let it set over night. I have had no problems with it even when putting a heavy load on the winch. I mounted the wireless control unit to the inside of the body.

Looking good there Yankee. Did you move the bumper forward quite a bit to make the room? I have seen on some of the winch units they have slightly adjustable mounting holes, so it may be possible to clamp them over the bumper mounts, but I won't really know until I pull the trigger. Good to hear superglue holds up though.

I'm really wanting to put a D90 body on mine. Wheelbase doesn't seem to be too far out. Some longer rod ends on all links front and back might add up to 10mm or so. I would hope so because the links are kinda nice, don't really want to change those. I haven't had the time to see if those universal joints will run a little extended yet.
pritch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 04:18 PM   #266

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_suruncle View Post
I installed an Integy winch on my stock bumper and it works well; The only issue is that the stock bumper is all plastic and flexes under load. its fine for a straight pull but off camber or lifting pulls will flex the mounts
I can believe it. I picked it up by the front bumper the other day, having moved it forward for a try with some bigger Proline wheels and tyres which needed the clearance, and it flexed a LOT. I can only hope that means it isn't brittle when the inevitable happens

Still, if I do try to pop a D90 on this little guy, stock bumper will probably need to go anyways.
Old 04-19-2017, 04:39 PM   #267
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pritch View Post
Looking good there Yankee. Did you move the bumper forward quite a bit to make the room? I have seen on some of the winch units they have slightly adjustable mounting holes, so it may be possible to clamp them over the bumper mounts, but I won't really know until I pull the trigger. Good to hear superglue holds up though.

I'm really wanting to put a D90 body on mine. Wheelbase doesn't seem to be too far out. Some longer rod ends on all links front and back might add up to 10mm or so. I would hope so because the links are kinda nice, don't really want to change those. I haven't had the time to see if those universal joints will run a little extended yet.
Longer rod ends will work on the axle side of the lower links but would have to do chassis side on the upper y-link. Or for the uppers get/make a four link plate and 4 link it. Mrc based plates will bolt right up then you would have to make custom upper but will be stronger than the stock y-link. And the stock driveshafts are a bit to long stock by 3/8-1/2 so there is room to move there.
Old 04-19-2017, 08:32 PM   #268

a word of warning if you're putting a d90 body on. with my fj body it became a rollover machine. I needed to weight the wheels very heavy, limit the shocks and add helper springs on the shaft to make it not rollover constantly and it's still tippy. I've been on the lookout for a stiffer spring but haven't found anything yet
Groffball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 03:12 PM   #269

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groffball View Post
a word of warning if you're putting a d90 body on. with my fj body it became a rollover machine. I needed to weight the wheels very heavy, limit the shocks and add helper springs on the shaft to make it not rollover constantly and it's still tippy. I've been on the lookout for a stiffer spring but haven't found anything yet
Appreciate the heads up. Don't really want to be rolling an ABS body too often either, soon looks horrible. There is the Absima D90 lexan body, very similar wheelbase. It's not as detailed of course, but better suited to proper use. Could have one for show, one for go maybe.

First things first though, sort the fundamentals.

The lipo is in. I have to sort the steering. I let Modelsport (vendor) know I wasn't too happy about the stock servo. I accept an RTR servo isn't going to be great, but to barely turn the stock wheels/tyres when moving forward slowly on a flat surface... I'm not sure that's ok. Does this sound familiar or did I get a particularly weak unit?

I'm going to order a bunch of compatible FTX Outback bits from them, and I happen to need a new charger that I will also get from them, so I'm hoping they might throw in the Outback aluminium servo mount, because did I read, perhaps on here, that the Outback alu one accepts a full size servo without fouling the shocks?
Old 04-20-2017, 04:12 PM   #270
RCC Addict

You are right that the ftx/rgt servo mount is pushed forward more I know the UK guy that have barrages use them for that same purpose.
Old 04-21-2017, 08:16 AM   #271

I found that the RGT mount pushed the servo a little too far forward and messed with the steering geometry. I used the stock barrage mount with some 3mm spacers and a traxxas servo. I had Horizon send me an upgraded servo but the one I got never worked from the minute I got it, so I gave up and just left the traxxas servo I put in temporarily in permanently
Groffball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 12:21 PM   #272
Rock Stacker

I just got my daughter one of these. and this stock servo has to go.

anyone running any budget friendly ones that are decent and clear?

running gmade beadlocks and rocks tyres tsl tires. (weighted). i have a 50's chevy body on it's way for it as well.
2k2wranglerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 02:58 PM   #273

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k2wranglerx View Post
I just got my daughter one of these. and this stock servo has to go.

anyone running any budget friendly ones that are decent and clear?

running gmade beadlocks and rocks tyres tsl tires. (weighted). i have a 50's chevy body on it's way for it as well.
I'm running a traxxas servo. Mine never went out but too weak. I'm loving those beadlocks and tires on your truck. Go together great.

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk
jayt312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 07:42 AM   #274

I really enjoy mine. 30 + hours running and no failures. Make sure you set your servo endpoints with the dual rate control. You do not want any servo buzzing at either end of steering. My original servo is still working fine!

Still running my stock servo over 30 hours. Watch the endpoints on the servo Adjust the d/r pot so that the servo does not buz when at extreme ends of the steering.

Last edited by THX_138; 06-20-2017 at 09:03 AM.
Peterv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 12:19 AM   #275

I appreciate all the info on this thread. My Barrage arrived at my house today and I started driving and modifyling it already.

So far, I have:
- Flipped the front chassis braces to gain servo clearance.
- Shortened the rear drive shaft for suspension travel.
- Moved the front bumper out one hole for tire clearance.
- Moved the steering linkage to the inner hole on in the servo horn.
- Tightened the inner CVD retainer screws to hold the pins in place and tightened all 4 wheel nuts.

Overall, for $165, I am impressed with it. It does take some fine tuning to get it better than box stock.

My future plans for it is to build a scale Bronco. On order is a set of RC4WD 1.55 8 spoke white beadlocks and mud thrasher tires, along with a 2000mah lipo battery. In the future, It will get a Tamiya '73 Bronco body off a CC01 chassis.
Clarkbre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 04:36 PM   #276
Pebble Pounder

Does anyone happen to know how long (mm) the stock shocks are? I am away from my truck so I cant measure myself, Thank you in advance!
navycrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 12:16 AM   #277

Quote:
Originally Posted by navycrawler View Post
Does anyone happen to know how long (mm) the stock shocks are? I am away from my truck so I cant measure myself, Thank you in advance!
They look to be about 80mm from hole to hole on center.
Clarkbre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 06:47 AM   #278
RCC Addict

80mm seems about right, when I had swapped to the aluminum mrc shocks they were a bit shorter and believe they are 75-76mm
Old 05-05-2017, 07:53 AM   #279

I'm pretty sure this question has been asked but how well do scx axles go under this truck. I will make my own links but I'm in process of putting shocks outside chassis and I've made brackets from aluminum as long as they hold up so that the shocks will ride straight up. I've also used 20mm wheel wideners instead of stock 12mm and the stance looks great with barrage body. I feel the wheel wideners are kinda sloppy amd have so much play. So I'd like to use a more durable axle. Hillbilly you used everest axles correxr? Are they same width as axial

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk
jayt312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 10:15 AM   #280
RCC Addict

My rear axle is mostly axial now only thing redcat is the case. I believe they are the same width or 1-2mm within same. Yeah custom links are mostly a must you can use the lowers with a rod end swap at the axle side. My next barrage I will use stock axles with dravtec wraptor adapters