Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Vendors > Holmes Hobbies

Notices

Thread: TorqueMaster BR-XL Big Brushed Power!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2013, 09:53 AM   #1261
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelwaryor View Post
So, as I read my way through this topic, I have determined this is the way I want to go (Brushed with 2s-6s option)
I see this product came out some time ago (2009), is it still worth handing over $100 for it or is there newer/better options?
Still the number one option!
winnerone23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-2013, 02:11 PM   #1262

Default Re: TorqueMaster BR-XL Big Brushed Power!

Sweet, I will get one on order!
Steelwaryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 11:13 AM   #1263

Have buy 2 esc br-xl, 1 work perfecly, 1 no have reverse after calibration on 2 transmiter and servo tester, have castle link, and reverse is activate. anyone have idea?? or reverse Fet broken?
Wega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 06:23 PM   #1264
Pebble Pounder

John,

I couldn't see where this was asked in prior threads.

Just curious: What is the max input voltage on the reciever circuit not the battery circuit?

Another words if I adjust my BEC to lets say "9v" would the BRXL be able to handle this voltage on the receiver circuit?

Thanks,

Pmoss
pmoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 07:40 PM   #1265
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmoss View Post
John,

I couldn't see where this was asked in prior threads.

Just curious: What is the max input voltage on the reciever circuit not the battery circuit?

Another words if I adjust my BEC to lets say "9v" would the BRXL be able to handle this voltage on the receiver circuit?

Thanks,

Pmoss
If you are running your bec through the receiver then pull the red wires out of the esc plugs. Then they will not see the voltage and you do not have to worry about it.just make shure to shrink wrap or tape the exposed esc red wire.
ubbb69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 09:50 AM   #1266
Pebble Pounder

Hello guys @ HH!

One thing I've been wondering and haven't found an answer to:

If I set a Custom lipo cutoff voltage with Castle Link to say, 3,4v. Is this value multiplied by the cell count in the lipo?

I mean using the custom value is not documented anywhere (eg. not by clicking the icon) and I'm now willing to try it before I know what I'm doing.

The thing is, that the docs state that the default auto LVC for lipos is 3v/cell which to me is way too low. I want my ESC to cutoff completely somewhere near 3,4v.

So if I use a custom value of 3,4v for LVC, will this work for 2-4S lipos?
Ambis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 11:25 AM   #1267
I wanna be Dave

Yes it is multiplied by the cells when set to auto, as there's no balance plug attached to monitor each cell. Also 3v is fine as these are not constant draw setups like air rc, the voltage sag of a trigger pull will trip the 3v lvc when the cells are typically higher.
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 01:00 PM   #1268
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meatwad View Post
Yes it is multiplied by the cells when set to auto, as there's no balance plug attached to monitor each cell. Also 3v is fine as these are not constant draw setups like air rc, the voltage sag of a trigger pull will trip the 3v lvc when the cells are typically higher.
Yeah I just programmed my 5th BRXL (from BF sale) and saw that the "Custom" option doesn't apply to lipos since the lowest selectable value was 4.0v.

So auto LVC it'll be.
Ambis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 03:19 AM   #1269
Rock Stacker

About to venture into the world of Lipos. I will be using a TorqueMaster BR-XL in my new project and want to use two 2S 1800mAh Lipos in parallel (for longer run time and that is how I can fit the capacity in the truck). Will this cause a problem for the Auto Lipo LVC?
knightsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 05:39 AM   #1270
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightsy View Post
About to venture into the world of Lipos. I will be using a TorqueMaster BR-XL in my new project and want to use two 2S 1800mAh Lipos in parallel (for longer run time and that is how I can fit the capacity in the truck). Will this cause a problem for the Auto Lipo LVC?
Nah, your good to go. The ESC will only recognize it as a 2s 3600mah pack. Even if you ran them in series, to make it a 4s 1800mah pack, ur still safe.
Great ESC to choose and enjoy ur lipo..
winnerone23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 10:17 PM   #1271
Rock Stacker

Thanks winnerone23.
knightsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 02:47 AM   #1272
Rock Crawler

Last Sunday we had a Tuff Truck comp, so I tried to run 6s on some of the speed run (but set 75% throttle EPA). Also it was a wet day so water would have been in the motor as such, the ESC is a WP version.

Today I am doing some maintenance and I found that the motor keep buzzing (the sound that Holmes Hold makes) when throttle at neutral, it buzz once every 3-4 sec or so. I remove the motor and clean it all but same thing happened, try two different motors and same result. I switched Rx and the same, use another BRXL on the truck with the original motor, problem gone, so pretty firm the problem lies with the ESC.

I have tried resetting the ESC, re-calibrated, reload latest firmware, everything I can think off, it still buzz at neutral. And the rotor creep forward very slightly (about 10 deg in 30 sec), it buzz once every 4-5 sec or so.

At the end, I switched off the holmes hold and no more buzz sound. Does anyone know what would be the problem?
Colgout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 08:45 AM   #1273
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

When you swapped ESCs and the buzzing stopped, did the new ESC have hold turned off as well? Hold makes a buzzing sound, and when turned too high will make the motor creep.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 10:53 PM   #1274
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
When you swapped ESCs and the buzzing stopped, did the new ESC have hold turned off as well? Hold makes a buzzing sound, and when turned too high will make the motor creep.
Thanks John,

The other BR-XL has HH switched on too (at 70% I believe). Ok will try turn it down a little. I was worry about the creep, if it is normal, that's fine with me.
Colgout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 08:03 AM   #1275
Rock Crawler

Is it the middle wire I have to disconnect on the esc`s servoplugs on the HH BR mini dual esc`s aswell as the tekin when I use CC bec???
FLOKI-81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 09:14 AM   #1276

Quote:
Originally Posted by lothargores View Post
Hi,
I am in the process of ordering a Holmes Hobbies TorqueMaster BR-XL Brushed ESC (Waterproof).
I am new to the hobby, so I was going to order the "Castle Creations "Car" Field Link Programmer" as it is advertise to be compatible.
Will this work with this SEC?

I downloaded the BR-XL manual pdf of the Holmes Hobby website, but found the document to be a "terrible" english translation making no sense what so ever.

Any help is appreciated
Lothar
It is castle link compatible, but not with field link cards unless hooked into a computer.

English translation? I wrote the instructions from scratch. My "non technical" worker will be updating the instructions to make them easier to read for people who are having problems understanding my wording.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERG-V3 View Post
Is it the middle wire I have to disconnect on the esc`s servoplugs on the HH BR mini dual esc`s aswell as the tekin when I use CC bec???
Yes
Old 06-22-2014, 05:23 PM   #1277
I wanna be Dave

Hey Jonathan,

I just bought a WP BRXL from A-Main Hobbies yesterday. Upon opening the bag I noticed there was a greasy coating on the BRXL and the bag, almost like 10,000wt diff oil. I got it cleaned off but was wondering if this is a new thing you're doing or if something weird happened. Just got it wired up, seems to work fine, it programmed fine, ect.....

I tried contacting A-Main, but they're closed. I'm heading out for a scale run tomorrow morn and was wondering if there's anything I need to worry about.

Thank you,
Travis C.
travis c. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 01:50 PM   #1278
I wanna be Dave

Well, the BRXL kept leaking sticky stuff and the double stick tape wouldn't hold so I swapped it out at A-Main for another one. It was like the epoxy didn't fully set, otherwise it worked fine.
Old 07-03-2014, 02:10 PM   #1279

Thanks for the heads up. We haven't changed procedures or materials on waterproofing for a few years now. I will be interested to get it back and see what is coming from the case.
Old 07-03-2014, 02:18 PM   #1280
I wanna be Dave

The epoxy on the new one is soft, kind of rubbery, I remember the epoxy being hard before I took a break from the hobby. The new one isn't leaking anything though.

BTW: I love my new 16t Crawlmaster!

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/holmes-hobbies/200916-torquemaster-br-xl-big-brushed-power.html
Posted By For Type Date
HH TorqueMaster BR-XL new bad boy esc! This thread Refback 10-04-2011 03:37 PM