Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Vendors > Holmes Hobbies

Notices

Thread: TorqueMaster BR-XL Big Brushed Power!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2013, 08:56 AM   #1241
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Default Re: TorqueMaster BR-XL Big Brushed Power!

Jim, that's a shame there. When a motor lets go it can take the ESC with it. A fuse could help, but few blow fast enough to actually protect. The risk of a fuse is that with enough current to blow it, the voltage will spike and could kill the ESC anyway.

Asid, send an email to warranty@ explaining your findings. I would like to send some parts your way.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-2013, 06:50 PM   #1242
Pebble Pounder

I've got myself a problem and think it's BRXL. Some moisture managed to get into my "waterproof" box and I think it tweaked something with the esc. Basically, when plugged in, it arms normally and the motor jitters. It'll function fine with throttle applied for a few seconds to a minute maybe and then completely cuts out (no steering, anything). BRXL resets (sometimes it just beeps) and cuts out again without much load. Sometimes when it resets my winch starts to spool out. It's weird.

I've tried another receiver to make sure it wasn't tweaking out from getting wet, tried a different steering servo, reloaded the ESC firmware, even cut the comm on the puller. No change.

Set up:
FlySky GT3B and 6ch receiver
Hitec HS-645MG
7T Cobalt Puller (550)
Heyok winch and light controller

I've searched "glitches" and such and haven't found a definite conclusion that it's the BRXL.

Anybody experienced similar issues?

Thanks,
-Jon

Last edited by trombley2; 08-08-2013 at 08:31 PM.
trombley2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 07:22 PM   #1243
Rock Crawler

Is there any way a bad esc could cause a winch to turn on? It supplies the power via the bec so could shut it down. But turn it on? That signal has to come from the TX and RX doesn't it?
Hardline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 08:11 PM   #1244
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardline View Post
Is there any way a bad esc could cause a winch to turn on? It supplies the power via the bec so could shut it down. But turn it on? That signal has to come from the TX and RX doesn't it?
I know, it doesn't make sense to me either. Maybe some sort of feedback from the esc tweaking out the receiver. I'm stumped. As a mechanic I've seen voltage do weird things to 1:1 cars. I just want to see if anyone has any ideas before I throw money at a new esc.

Last edited by trombley2; 08-08-2013 at 08:14 PM.
Old 08-09-2013, 07:56 AM   #1245
Rock Crawler

Well, when it seems no one explanation fits everything, consider the possibility you have two unrelated problems.

If you have time for it, perhaps you can send the esc in to HH for analysis, repair whatever. Then at least you'd know.
Old 08-09-2013, 08:33 AM   #1246
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardline View Post
Well, when it seems no one explanation fits everything, consider the possibility you have two unrelated problems.

If you have time for it, perhaps you can send the esc in to HH for analysis, repair whatever. Then at least you'd know.
Yeah. I'm going to try a different motor tonight and see if reacts the same way. If it does that pretty much leaves the ESC. Maybe my friend will let me borrow his to test with.
Old 08-09-2013, 11:52 AM   #1247
Rock Stacker

so can you get these uncased? I was told you could but don't see it on the site. found it on another site but would rather buy it from you.
toyotanuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 03:48 PM   #1248
Pebble Pounder

So I think I got this sorted out. I hooked up a different motor and it was acting the same way as the puller, being jumpy and such. That only left the ESC.

I discovered this stuff at work that I didn't realize we had. It's made by Wurth and it's called Circuit Board Cleaner SW. Well, I sprayed the sh*t out the ESC and let it dry out. Hooked everything back up the way I had it and so far no issues. Going to plastidip the ESC, put everything back in the box and plastidip that too just for good measure. Hopefully everything continues working.

I hope this helps someone out in the future.

-Jon
Old 08-18-2013, 12:29 AM   #1249
Rock Stacker

John I just installed a HH BR-XL and torquemaster expert 27T in my poison spyder wraith.

I haven't had loads of testing time on it yet and was wondering if you could explain the difference between the passive drag brake and the active drag brake (holmes hold)?
CrazyNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 05:17 PM   #1250
Rock Crawler

I know the original answer to the Holmes Hobbies TorqueMaster BR-XL having enough voltage output not to use a BEC. Is this the still general opinion?

I want to build an Axial Wraith kit with the TorqueMaster BR-XL esc and CrawlMaster Expert 13T motor (as recommended by Harley).
DrDiff952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 05:52 PM   #1251
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDiff952 View Post
I know the original answer to the Holmes Hobbies TorqueMaster BR-XL having enough voltage output not to use a BEC. Is this the still general opinion?

I want to build an Axial Wraith kit with the TorqueMaster BR-XL esc and CrawlMaster Expert 13T motor (as recommended by Harley).
Always a external bec.... not that the one in the brxl doesn't do its job but its easier on everything to put a external bec on..
winnerone23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 06:24 PM   #1252

If the servo is stock, generally no need. Running 300 ounce /inch + and its a good idea.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:44 PM   #1253
Pebble Pounder

In the detail section of the ESC it says Water resistant design. Just how Water resistant is the none waterproof model? Does the waterproof material cause the ESC to get hot when ran for long periods of time?
midnight_f150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 08:50 PM   #1254
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnight_f150 View Post
In the detail section of the ESC it says Water resistant design. Just how Water resistant is the none waterproof model? Does the waterproof material cause the ESC to get hot when ran for long periods of time?
It will cause a bit of heat, but not much.
rcmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 07:44 AM   #1255
Rock Crawler

Status on mini?
Old 09-07-2013, 08:42 PM   #1256
Rock Stacker

OK i have had some time now to test my new BR-XL waterproof version in my new wraith with HH torque master expert 27T on 2s...

I love this controller it seems to have more punch than my Mamba max and the throttle response is so smooth!

I was confused about the Holmes hold feature and did some testing today trying some different setting on my rock crawling course at home...

From what I can see the Holmes hold is just a different implementation of the drag brake feature and can not be used in conjunction with the regular passive drag brake.

Holmes hold works as advertised and can be set to hold the truck still on any incline if that's what you want, But it is ONLY designed as a "hold" feature and lacks smoothness when backed off to allow drag.

I much prefer the feel of the traditional "passive" drag brake and on 100% the hold is pretty good but will allow the truck to creep down steep inclines.

John I was wondering if it would be possible to do a firmware update that lets you turn up the passive drag brake the same way you can on castle controllers (213%) to give us more control over drag in bigger heavier trucks without having to use the "hold" feature?

Oh and the BEC has not missed a beat so far I love the way it cleans up the install great job JRH!

All in all a fantastic product from a great vendor! Thanks.
CrazyNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 04:51 PM   #1257
Rock Crawler

cant get my bxrl to calibrate :( just got it from john
jdmguy760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 09:46 AM   #1258

[QUOTE=CrazyNick;4469784]
[COLOR=Red]John I was wondering if it would be possible to do a firmware update that lets you turn up the passive drag brake the same way you can on castle controllers (213%) to give us more control over drag in bigger heavier trucks without having to use the "hold" feature?
/QUOTE]

our 100% drag is the same as %213 castle drag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmguy760 View Post
cant get my bxrl to calibrate :( just got it from john
Need more info to help. Color of LEDs, did you adjust throttle trim until the lights went out, are you using nimh?
Old 11-01-2013, 04:15 PM   #1259
SLO

can we nickname this thing the "butter-xl"? this thing is almost too smooth!

awesome stuff, John!
SLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 09:18 AM   #1260

So, as I read my way through this topic, I have determined this is the way I want to go (Brushed with 2s-6s option)
I see this product came out some time ago (2009), is it still worth handing over $100 for it or is there newer/better options?
Steelwaryor is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/holmes-hobbies/200916-torquemaster-br-xl-big-brushed-power.html
Posted By For Type Date
HH TorqueMaster BR-XL new bad boy esc! This thread Refback 10-04-2011 03:37 PM