Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Vendors > Holmes Hobbies

Notices

Thread: (HH) Tech Questions and Customer support thread

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2011, 07:09 PM   #3001
Pebble Pounder

I am currently running a MMP ESC and a 7 turn puller. I want to run 4 cell though. Not to worried about price I want a really powerful fast motor, what would you recommend? Its is a wraith if that makes a difference w/ a stock trans(I will be uogradeing as I break it)
Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-2011, 11:27 PM   #3002
Pebble Pounder

Hello John,
I would like to order a motor from you for my Wraith, but I am having a hard time with ordering it on the site. I am looking for the following. Thanks for your help.
Please feel free to send a PM.

TorqueMaster Pro base, torque and efficiency tuned (highest quality)
21 turn wound on 5mm web armature
10mm comm diameter
Standup brushes
Old 09-06-2011, 08:54 AM   #3003
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazman View Post
John, still testing the 6s on the Cobalt 14t. Got an example of the tires getting messed up on the rims.

Torque out the butt!! The thing that really amazes me is the smooth slow speed nature of this motor. This thing will CRAWL!! I love this motor, but it may cost me in tires.
Thanks for the feedback! Sounds like the first arm may have just been bum or got something inside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bajabugn66 View Post
Hi John
I saw an update that my order is on its way. I know this had been covered somewhere and I have been searching, but what would be the best way to set up my BEC that I ordered from you for front and rear steering. Both of my servos are mega torque servos and should I have had you set the voltage on the BEC higher than the 6v? I have seen some people just run the rear steering servo in through the receiver and have the front only on the BEC, some run the bec through the receiver, some only have the yellow wire of the servo going to the receiver and the other 2 going to the BEC. Thanks and enjoy this long weekend.
There is no real "right" way to do it, but there are certainly many ways that are popular. For ease of use, I would probably just remove the red wire from the ESC rx plug and see if both servos could run from the BEC through the RX. If that doesn't work or causes glitching then a little parallel harness may be needed to get power from BEC to servos without going through the RX.

I would recommend keeping all ground wires in the system, so you would have the yellow signal and the black or brown ground going into the RX from the servos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsILayDying View Post
I have a HH BR-XL ESC and I am currently running 16t pinion 87t spur and stock 27t motor. The problem is I want to use the Holmes Hold on my ESC so I purchased the castle link. Programmed it and now it doesnt really hold well against gravity at all. Also makes a horrible motor lurching noise. Any suggestions to what I can do. I tried lowering the Drag Bake % but that didnt seem to help either. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks
Sounds like the motor just doesn't have brakes. The lurching would indicate that the motor is being over driven by the hold, so the hold is too strong. I would recommend a motor with stronger magnets or higher quality construction over the stock motor if you need more drag. Also, drop down in pinion size and you will get drag back. If you went to 13t you would gain almost 20% more braking force.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowrockr View Post
ESC showed up today, thanks for the top notch service John.
glad to hear, thanks for letting me know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominator1 View Post
I am currently running a MMP ESC and a 7 turn puller. I want to run 4 cell though. Not to worried about price I want a really powerful fast motor, what would you recommend? Its is a wraith if that makes a difference w/ a stock trans(I will be uogradeing as I break it)
You could get a 14t armature and run 4s very safely. Otherwise a 13.5t Tekin Redline would be my next suggestion. You would lose some drag but have power and speed out the wazoo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickrock450 View Post
Hello John,
I would like to order a motor from you for my Wraith, but I am having a hard time with ordering it on the site. I am looking for the following. Thanks for your help.
Please feel free to send a PM.

TorqueMaster Pro base, torque and efficiency tuned (highest quality)
21 turn wound on 5mm web armature
10mm comm diameter
Standup brushes

If it is not listed in stock on the site, you can always select "custom" and we will ensure you get one built as fast as possible. Otherwise I think your motor combination looks like an awesome build!
Old 09-07-2011, 07:28 AM   #3004
Quarry Creeper

Hey John
I got a xr10 did homebrew steering mod but my link is steel
and is very atracted to my motor Will this cause any ill effects on the motor? Thanks
Old 09-07-2011, 07:30 AM   #3005

Nahh, don't worry about it. If anything it may slow it down just a touch, but I doubt it.
Old 09-07-2011, 11:23 AM   #3006
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by @Maxcipollino@
shipped today by priority mail,will be to you next week, it cames from absolutehobbyz......chad P...do you remember him?

Don't remember him off the top of my head, but I will keep an eye out.
i think you have received the MMP, please contact me before shipping them out, perhaps i need 2 cobalt puller but i0m not sure if 6T or 7T.
which one do you suggest to be mounted on an Emaxx for light crawlig and some bushing? 2S lipo and, if fit, your BL-XL

thanks Marco
Old 09-07-2011, 11:47 AM   #3007

I did get em, we should be able to waterproof them within a few days here.

I would suggest the 7t for an emaxx. If you are going to use two motors then you could get away with the 6t.
Old 09-07-2011, 01:04 PM   #3008
Rock Crawler

John,

Please see the picture below. Yesterday I brought my 25T Torquemaster Pros to my buddies to use his Trinity motor lathe to cut my comms for the first time, when I tore the front motor apart there was a small nick in the commutator. I figured that a few passes on the lathe would remove the nick, but after a few passes it's still there, I'm worried if I keep removing material to get rid of the nick there will be no material left on the comm. so I just stopped while I was ahead.

What would cause this nick in the comm? Defective comm?

Hopefully this motor is not garbage material now

Old 09-07-2011, 01:12 PM   #3009

Typically that sort of pitting is caused by going too far between maintenance intervals, running negative timing, or running laydown brushes. That is a pretty nasty pit there, but if you want to get some more time from the motor you could try running it now. We wouldn't wind an armature with that defect from the factory, it would be trashed before we even spent the time on it.

Looks like your buddies bit needs sharpening or the feed rate was too fast, that is a pretty rough cut.
Old 09-07-2011, 01:46 PM   #3010
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post

I would suggest the 7t for an emaxx. If you are going to use two motors then you could get away with the 6t.
sorry john, my English is very little...can you explain this simply...
Old 09-07-2011, 06:41 PM   #3011
Quarry Creeper

John,

I have been waiting for the Revolver S, but build time is rapidly approaching and I can't wait any more. I have a Summit trans tube scaler that I am about to re-build. I will be using it for crawling and trails and probably some G6 events. I have my eye on a Waterproof Rock Racer Combo on your site with a 21 turn motor. The plan is to run 2 3s 2200 mAh batteries in parallel for long run times, and a 62/12 or 62/14 for a spur / pinion combo. Any suggested changes or am I on the right track?

Thanks in advance for the info.
Old 09-08-2011, 05:50 AM   #3012

Quote:
Originally Posted by @Maxcipollino@ View Post
sorry john, my English is very little...can you explain this simply...
Use the 7t puller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Tactical Bacon View Post
John,

I have been waiting for the Revolver S, but build time is rapidly approaching and I can't wait any more. I have a Summit trans tube scaler that I am about to re-build. I will be using it for crawling and trails and probably some G6 events. I have my eye on a Waterproof Rock Racer Combo on your site with a 21 turn motor. The plan is to run 2 3s 2200 mAh batteries in parallel for long run times, and a 62/12 or 62/14 for a spur / pinion combo. Any suggested changes or am I on the right track?

Thanks in advance for the info.
Sounds like you are on the right track to me. If you are wanting a motor that lasts longer I am going to start building Checkpoint edition motors soon. I have all the parts here, just need to update the site and wind up some arms for them.
Old 09-08-2011, 09:38 AM   #3013
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Use the 7t puller
one or two motor?, remember i want to drive with your esc...

Last edited by @Maxcipollino@; 09-08-2011 at 09:41 AM.
Old 09-08-2011, 09:55 AM   #3014

You should be fine with my ESC and two motors.
Old 09-08-2011, 10:03 AM   #3015
Rock Stacker

Quote:
You should be fine with my ESC and two motors.

Old 09-08-2011, 01:47 PM   #3016
Quarry Creeper

Sounds like you are on the right track to me. If you are wanting a motor that lasts longer I am going to start building Checkpoint edition motors soon. I have all the parts here, just need to update the site and wind up some arms for them.[/QUOTE]

Thanks John! Looks like all I am waiting for now is your site to be updated!
Old 09-08-2011, 03:00 PM   #3017
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Typically that sort of pitting is caused by going too far between maintenance intervals, running negative timing, or running laydown brushes. That is a pretty nasty pit there, but if you want to get some more time from the motor you could try running it now. We wouldn't wind an armature with that defect from the factory, it would be trashed before we even spent the time on it.

Looks like your buddies bit needs sharpening or the feed rate was too fast, that is a pretty rough cut.
What kind of maintenance are u talking about? I'm running the timing according to your recommendation for the front axle of the xr10 and using standup brushes (stock pair that came in ur motor)

I still needed to make more passes on the comm in order to make a fresh surface all the way around, the sides you can not see are the ones that have a nice clean cut, it was a little out of round.
Old 09-08-2011, 03:34 PM   #3018

Looks like a 35t from the wire size, I would cut it after every two comps or 30 ish minutes of runtime if you want peak motor life and performance. How long did you go? It is strange that that particular segment has such a deep pit but the others do not.
Old 09-08-2011, 05:28 PM   #3019
Rock Crawler

Id say prob like 6 comps ( few where I broke early and didn't get to finish the day), although I did tear the motor apart several times for cleaning and lube of bearings but no comm cut. I switched to some 35 turns a while back but the ones in the pic are 25T
Old 09-13-2011, 03:00 PM   #3020
XDR
Pebble Pounder

HH,
On the Wraith, I'm looking to setup for all crawling but need some wheel speed for tougher obsticles. Comparing the crawlmaster and torque master, what is the benifits of one over the other in crawling aspect? And i'm thinking either 20t crawl or 35t torque with your br-xl esc. Also, what gearing do you recammend for that setup?
Closed Thread

(HH) Tech Questions and Customer support thread - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Futaba customer support XJkid93 Chit Chat 6 07-24-2012 06:07 PM
ZNO-RC Customer Support ZNO-RC Redcat Crawlers 28 03-20-2012 08:44 PM
axial customer support/service THANKS! superflex General Crawlers 6 01-31-2011 08:40 PM
airtronics customer support dlamb11877sf Electronics 0 04-13-2010 10:04 AM