Notices

Thread: Losi Baja Rey 1/10th 4WD RTR desert truck

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2020, 10:43 PM   #2121
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Losi Baja Rey 1/10th 4WD RTR desert truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliCrawler View Post
I haven’t even looked at their control arms… Do you think they (Uppers) would facilitate the second shock within the arm (With the MC lowers we are running)?

My bearings have been holding up pretty well! That’s why I have held off so far.
Not yet certain. I haven't even finished unpacking everything (we've includes things I took with to Vegas). I won't be able to installing everything just yet, but I'll make sure the A-arms get done first, see check the possibility. Will try to get to that tomorrow...especially since my next vehicle, a ProBoat SonicWake 36, should be delivered on Thursday, and I want to prep it for (hopefully) getting it in the water on Friday.

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-2020, 02:17 PM   #2122
Pebble Pounder

Glad I changed those trailing arms when I did! Haven’t had the Losi ones very long but after I pulled them off I noticed one of the rod ends screw was bent! Now I know why it was tracking funny LOL. Drove it yesterday and these are much more stable! Will be installing the aluminum shock tower and incision rear links later today. Depending on the length, I have some really nice aluminum rod ends I’m going to pair with the links.
Finally had the rear panels off so I snapped a couple pics.

CaliCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 05:29 PM   #2123
Pebble Pounder

I don’t know why they haven’t fixed the length issue on the upper links, but installed a M5 lock nut as a spacer on the bulkhead side. Remember the aluminum rod ends I was talking about? I felt something was missing so I added one to the roll cage in the rear in the existing hole locations, just drilled them bigger to accommodate the M3 bolt. (plenty of room in between this mod and the upper links, and I made sure the rods were A 16th of a turn loose so there would be play in the Rod). With the new trailing arms and upper links, this thing does not move even half a millimeter from side to side. This axle is locked in! The shock tower is super solid also! I haven’t driven it yet but I can tell it’s pretty much perfect ( 97%?) One more metal rod bracing towards the rear and I would be confident running this sans rear quarter panel’s!

Old 04-08-2020, 08:35 PM   #2124
Pebble Pounder

https://youtu.be/tBfdd21H2Ek

Works like a champ... donkey kick minimized to a scale/drivable level..

Last edited by CaliCrawler; 04-08-2020 at 09:02 PM.
Old 04-09-2020, 02:26 PM   #2125
Pebble Pounder

Added some more bracing to the rear tube “bumper) today. glad I still had my tubing bender! The back doesn’t move at all when you pick it up now. Less twist and definitely no sideways play. Super solid and looks good too! I would definitely be more comfortable running it without the rear body panel’s now.

Last edited by CaliCrawler; 04-09-2020 at 02:50 PM.
Old 04-09-2020, 03:03 PM   #2126
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Added some more bracing to the rear tube “bumper) today. glad I still had my tubing bender! The back doesn’t move at all when you pick it up now. Less twist and definitely no sideways play. Super solid and looks good too! I would definitely be more comfortable running it without the rear body panel’s now.

What did you use for the additional bracing? That good great...and STABLE.

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Old 04-09-2020, 04:36 PM   #2127
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
What did you use for the additional bracing? That good great...and STABLE.

Quarter inch stainless steel with M3 threaded ends I had lying around from an old crawler project. And the aluminum rod ends I had from another project!
I’m glad I didn’t have the exact straight length rod I needed because I think it looks beautiful with the bends and would’ve also had clearance issues with the upper links if it was straight. (didn’t even think about clearances initially, but the rods I had were too long so I had to bend them to get the correct length )
Old 04-09-2020, 05:22 PM   #2128
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Quarter inch stainless steel with M3 threaded ends I had lying around from an old crawler project. And the aluminum rod ends I had from another project!

I’m glad I didn’t have the exact straight length rod I needed because I think it looks beautiful with the bends and would’ve also had clearance issues with the upper links if it was straight. (didn’t even think about clearances initially, but the rods I had were too long so I had to bend them to get the correct length )
I'd ask if you could make one for me, except I'm guessing it turned out as it did "by accident". Some accidents are a good thing. Btw, my SonicWake got delivered today...tho, still need batteries, so it'll door in the box until next week.

Old 04-09-2020, 06:17 PM   #2129
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
I'd ask if you could make one for me, except I'm guessing it turned out as it did "by accident". Some accidents are a good thing. Btw, my SonicWake got delivered today...tho, still need batteries, so it'll door in the box until next week.

Could def. make you both. Happy accident if you will! I still have plenty of material (sans rod ends. I think it’d be best if I just sent you what I had and you could bend it to length?) lmk

Last edited by CaliCrawler; 04-09-2020 at 06:20 PM.
Old 04-09-2020, 06:31 PM   #2130
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Could def. make you both. Happy accident if you will! I still have plenty of material (sans rod ends. I think it’d be best if I just sent you what I had and you could bend it to length?) lmk
Unfortunately, I don't have metal working tools. I'm lucky I have a Dremel, a hammer, socket wrenches, and a cordless drill (the extent of my non-RC specific tools). For the past 25+ years, the great majority of my tools have been for computer building. My wife & I live in a condo, so don't exactly have room for a real workshop. When working on RCs, my wife is banned from the bedroom, as the bed becomes my "workbench". Thankfully, it's a very big "workbench"...lol

Old 04-09-2020, 07:11 PM   #2131

How would it run with the 1.9's?
AK_RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 10:15 PM   #2132
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK_RC View Post
How would it run with the 1.9's?
That all depends how you have your truck set up. In my opinion, it would look like you’re running low rider wheels/ tires. If that makes sense? They would appear way too small and could affect handling characteristics in a negative way or a positive way? It all depends on what goal you are trying to achieve (And make sure the wheels that you’re trying to use fit) and I say to each their own, definitely post some pictures if/when you decide to throw those on. Would love to see it for comparison sake. All I know is I’ve tried to throw some combinations meant for the slash and it looked a little silly. (Like a small penis on a huge NBA player, or at least that’s what Whoopi Goldberg thought!)
Old 04-09-2020, 11:29 PM   #2133
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Unfortunately, I don't have metal working tools. I'm lucky I have a Dremel, a hammer, socket wrenches, and a cordless drill (the extent of my non-RC specific tools). For the past 25+ years, the great majority of my tools have been for computer building. My wife & I live in a condo, so don't exactly have room for a real workshop. When working on RCs, my wife is banned from the bedroom, as the bed becomes my "workbench". Thankfully, it's a very big "workbench"...lol

I feel you brother. I justify it to my wife by telling her that “it’s cheaper me buying the tool then hiring somebody!” shoot me a message and remind me tomorrow and I’ll bend up a couple for you. Let me know. I’ll charge you one dollar per rod plus the rod ends (if you want me to source them or if you want to supply your own I would need the measurements)
Old 04-10-2020, 05:29 PM   #2134
Pebble Pounder

Added one more today, I’d like to make some from the top panel mount (Where the new bracing is) diagonally down to the outside mudflap hole. Now that it’s so strong in the rear I’m worried about the outside pieces.

https://youtu.be/1o-zPFGdTOE

Last edited by CaliCrawler; 04-11-2020 at 07:43 PM.
Old 04-11-2020, 10:56 AM   #2135
Pebble Pounder

I added another album to my profile, it shows the work I have done to rear of the Baja Rey in preparation for dual vertical rear spare tires. I hope you like, Ed
edjo69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 08:14 PM   #2136

Quote:
That all depends how you have your truck set up. In my opinion, it would look like you’re running low rider wheels/ tires. If that makes sense? They would appear way too small and could affect handling characteristics in a negative way or a positive way? It all depends on what goal you are trying to achieve (And make sure the wheels that you’re trying to use fit) and I say to each their own, definitely post some pictures if/when you decide to throw those on. Would love to see it for comparison sake. All I know is I’ve tried to throw some combinations meant for the slash and it looked a little silly. (Like a small penis on a huge NBA player, or at least that’s what Whoopi Goldberg thought!)
That makes sense, how would 2.2 rims fit?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Old 04-11-2020, 08:24 PM   #2137
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
That makes sense, how would 2.2 rims fit?

As I understand it, 2.2s won't fit on the BR, unless you use really wide hubs. The C-hubs & steering blocks on the BR are larger than those on the RR.

Old 04-11-2020, 08:28 PM   #2138

Quote:
As I understand it, 2.2s won't fit on the BR, unless you use really wide hubs. The C-hubs & steering blocks on the BR are larger than those on the RR.

So you have to use short course rims then?

Old 04-11-2020, 08:32 PM   #2139
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
So you have to use short course rims then?

Yes...2.2"/3"

Old 04-11-2020, 08:35 PM   #2140

Quote:
Yes...2.2"/3"

Do you know anyone who could make custom rims for a build?

Losi Baja Rey 1/10th 4WD RTR desert truck - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Thunder Tiger Jackal 1/10th 4wd Desert Buggy RichMTB01 2.2 Scale Rigs 17 01-19-2016 12:36 AM
Vaterra 1/10 Twin Hammers DT 1.9 4WD Desert Truck RTR spectre Vaterra Twin Hammers 0 10-01-2015 07:54 AM
HPI Mini Trophy 1/12 Scale 4WD Desert Truck constantmotion Non Crawler RC's 31 08-01-2010 09:56 PM