Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: exceed rc maxstone 16 upgrades and tuning?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2011, 11:42 PM   #201
Rock Crawler

It does sound impossible. But that is why I said attempt. Honestly what I'll be doing is hand making rip offs of the losi comp parts. I hope it doesn't look like crap or weigh a ton.
toyotatrucks83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-2011, 12:54 AM   #202
RCC Addict

hahaha, good luck with that man!
MRCCRAWLER1.9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 04:35 AM   #203
I wanna be Dave

like any crawler we all want to try and improve them at as low a cost as possible.

toyotatrucks83, given i have never gotten my hands on an MRC or see it run i'll trust your assessment. like you my son has been beating the crap out of his EMS and outside of the front axle issues it is holding up great, better than i expected.

once i get a tap to do my zero ackerman mod i'm going to see how much of a turning radius improvement i get. your idea of taking off the e-clip that holds the bearing in place to get the extra 1/8" will probably help get me to the max steering possible with the stock dogbones (without pushing them to the break point). if that all works i have an idea of how to swap the knuckles and servo around to do a behind the axle (BTA) steering setup.

with those changes i think i will be done with the EMS. one my son is ready to something bigger i'll invest in a different rig.
jebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 06:34 AM   #204
I wanna be Dave

i still need to drill and tap my aluminum knuckles to get to zero ackerman but i did make some additional changes. based on toyotatrucks83 seeing that if you remove the e-clip from the front dogbone you can push it out further into the stub axle cup i thought that would buy more steering angle without the dogbone jumping out of the cup. by taking off the e-clips and putting a small piece of rubber between the shafts inside the locker (to keep pressure on them to push into the drive cups) you can get more steering angle. after running it a little i did notice that the rubber doesn't compress enough to let the dogbones push back into the locker as they rotate, causing them to push back out against the knuckle. a minor issue that i plan to correct by putting in a small spring instead of the piece of rubber. bottom line is getting to zero ackerman and pushing the dogbones further into the stub axle cups has gained us a noticeable improvement in steering angle. this is probably the most you can do with the stock equipment but i'm pretty happy. need to get it back in my son's hands so he can beat the crap out of it!
attached are some pics that i hope show the story.
Attached Images

Last edited by jebster; 02-02-2011 at 07:44 AM.
Old 02-02-2011, 07:55 AM   #205
Rock Crawler

Jebster, it looks great. I think I will setting up my front axle just like that being swapping in Losi parts is a complete fail. Now are you using EMS knuckles or MRC knuckles?
Also I noticed your new cleaner looking steering link. Very nice.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:15 AM   #206
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyotatrucks83 View Post
Jebster, it looks great. I think I will setting up my front axle just like that being swapping in Losi parts is a complete fail. Now are you using EMS knuckles or MRC knuckles?
Also I noticed your new cleaner looking steering link. Very nice.
the plastic knuckles in the pics are the original EMS knuckles. i did by hot racing MRC aluminum knuckles which are a direct replacement for the EMS knuckle. once i get the aluminum knuckles drilled/tapped i'll swap them out with the plastic hubs. that should make the front end pretty bulletproof. still not able to steer as good as my venom creeper but it is better than stock. besides, my son doesn't notice the limited steering. and i guess at the end of the day it really is his rig!
Old 02-02-2011, 09:22 AM   #207
I wanna be Dave

given the longer drag link length i couldn't use the stock plastic drag link so i had some parts laying around that i used.

by the way, i forgot to mention one other minor change i made. on the rear i removed the drag link and attached the knuckles to the axle (see pic below).

toyotatrucks, i do appreciate all your research into the MRC parts. it has helped alot and saved me some money. this is one of the reasons i support this site!
Attached Images

Old 02-02-2011, 09:36 AM   #208
Rock Crawler

Jebster, thank you for the picture of the rear. Ive been racking my brain how to get rid of the link in the rear that is not needed.
Your welcome for the research on the MRC axle info. One of us was going to have to do it. You are helping me a tremendous amount, and saving me money with your info on the EMS axle build.
I was going to buy some of those MRC Pro knuckles since you said the MRC knuckles are a direct bolt on. But I may pass since you are able to make the other ones work.
Old 02-04-2011, 11:28 PM   #209
I wanna be Dave

Anyone have a link for the EMS aluminum C hubs?
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 11:37 PM   #210
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezfan View Post
Anyone have a link for the EMS aluminum C hubs?
http://www.nitrorcx.com/51c00-680003.html
Hope this is what your looking for.
Old 02-05-2011, 04:20 AM   #211
I wanna be Dave

looks like the right pieces to me. it is funny how they have aluminum replacement parts for just about everything (knuckles, axle housings, c-hubs, wheel hexes, wheels, etc) but none of them address the steering limit weakness.
Old 02-05-2011, 09:49 AM   #212

took a couple days to get a hold of nitrorcx, but i sent my radio off. i still need to do some mods.
joelsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 09:53 AM   #213
Rock Crawler

It is a bummer that they are all just direct replacement parts. Oh well. Some of them are useful. Like the c-hubs. That aluminum diff may come into play if we happen to tear apart the plastic ones by pulling the axle out the extra 1/8". Hopefully not.
Old 02-05-2011, 10:23 AM   #214
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyotatrucks83 View Post
It is a bummer that they are all just direct replacement parts. Oh well. Some of them are useful. Like the c-hubs. That aluminum diff may come into play if we happen to tear apart the plastic ones by pulling the axle out the extra 1/8". Hopefully not.
i agree that the c-hubs are the most useful. the aluminum knuckles would be good but you can get hot racing ones for half the cost. i'll keep everyone posted if pulling the axles out the extra couple millimeters causes a failure. nothing so far.
Old 02-06-2011, 03:26 PM   #215
Rock Stacker

I have also removed the c clips and used a piece of thin rubber between the shafts and have filed the knuckle to gain steering angle. I have upgraded just the motor and am having great results with out the axel popping out or binding.
Dizzle Chuucha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 06:48 PM   #216
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzle Chuucha View Post
I have also removed the c clips and used a piece of thin rubber between the shafts and have filed the knuckle to gain steering angle. I have upgraded just the motor and am having great results with out the axel popping out or binding.
glad to here things are going well for you. i do like the rig in my current setup and my son love's driving it. i don't see any significant changes in the future (maybe a BTA steering mod?).
Old 02-06-2011, 09:56 PM   #217

current pics

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mrjoels...n/photostream/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mrjoelsman/5424202060/

Last edited by joelsman; 02-06-2011 at 10:11 PM.
joelsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 11:46 PM   #218
Rock Crawler

Nice job Joel.
I wanted to get some pictures up of my son's new toy. It is still a work in progress. Here is the idea. The garbage portion of the truck will become a trailer.

Here is the truck almost done. I put a piece of board that is to big on it as a flat bed for tonight. I'll cut it down to size and paint it black tomorrow.

Old 02-08-2011, 04:17 AM   #219
I wanna be Dave

that is a pretty good idea. my son loves garbage trucks and vehicles that can haul stuff around. i might think about doing this myself.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:58 AM   #220
Rock Stacker

Sweet frame!

Thought i would give and up date on my build. I put a cut down pen spring in my left rear shock to cut down TT. Are you 4 link guys still getting TT?
I also re-soldered my Batt into a brick shape and stuffed it upfront. Also used a ancient futaba servo. I have cut down my soft springs about a 1/4 inch in the front. Grooved my tires (no gain)

Heres some pics.

http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/...a/IMG_0110.jpg
http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/...a/IMG_0109.jpg
http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/...a/IMG_0106.jpg
http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/...a/IMG_0105.jpg
Dizzle Chuucha is offline   Reply With Quote