Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Attn: NEWBIES POST HERE<<<<<<

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2018, 01:00 PM   #2721

Default Re: Attn: NEWBIES POST HERE<<<<<<

First crawler is a trx slort. Been a nitro nutfor years but slow can be fun.
Jtlittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-2018, 01:04 PM   #2722
Rock Stacker

I've had many RC cars/trucks in the past. I've raced several classes. I currently have two crawlers, a SCX10 and RR10 Bomber. I'm looking forward to hanging here on RCC.
UncleJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 01:16 PM   #2723
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by walt35 View Post
Name is walter and I have a slash 4x4 but I just got my first crawler from exceed. Maxstone. Living in dothan al. any info on esc motor upgrades?

First post
The hobbywing 1080 is the current king of budget brushed escs and a cheap 35 turn rc4wd 540 can should be a decent upgrade...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Tufftf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 02:54 PM   #2724

I am a noob and noob to the RC world. I recently purchased an Axial Deadbolt 2 as my first RC. Been running great and have lots of fun with it. I wanted to know about upgrading my Deadbolt. How do I get more torque, what is considered a better Servo?
bryanv790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 02:56 PM   #2725

Hi there,

My names Josh,

Im new to Rock Crawlers and i have a few different questions,

1.Where can i find a Rock Crawler? iv checked ebay and gearbest but they are hard to find. im in the uk i have a budget of £200 (i Dont need batteries or a transmitter or receiver) i already have plenty of these

I would buy the parts and build one my self but id rather get one thats almost ready to run, then change things as i go on. I have a 3d printer so if plastic parts break that wont be a problem.

Any help greatly appreciated,

Also if theres anyone in the uk that needs parts 3d printing just let me know.
walney-reptiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 12:08 AM   #2726
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by walney-reptiles View Post
Hi there,

My names Josh,

Im new to Rock Crawlers and i have a few different questions,

1.Where can i find a Rock Crawler? iv checked ebay and gearbest but they are hard to find. im in the uk i have a budget of £200 (i Dont need batteries or a transmitter or receiver) i already have plenty of these

I would buy the parts and build one my self but id rather get one thats almost ready to run, then change things as i go on. I have a 3d printer so if plastic parts break that wont be a problem.

Any help greatly appreciated,

Also if theres anyone in the uk that needs parts 3d printing just let me know.
Hey Josh
Welcome the party and forthcoming addiction!!
Modelsport is good in the UK, alongside RCbitz who are great for sourcing parts real quick and giviy great advice.
Also MSUK forum is a terrific UK based community with advice and a for sale area
Have you researched the truck you're after?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Crawler Cads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 12:10 AM   #2727
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanv790 View Post
I am a noob and noob to the RC world. I recently purchased an Axial Deadbolt 2 as my first RC. Been running great and have lots of fun with it. I wanted to know about upgrading my Deadbolt. How do I get more torque, what is considered a better Servo?
Hi bryanv790 and welcome.
The electrics section has lots of info on servos suitable for your rig. Main question is going to be budget!?

Crawler Cads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 05:34 AM   #2728

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawler Cads View Post
Hey Josh
Welcome the party and forthcoming addiction!!
Modelsport is good in the UK, alongside RCbitz who are great for sourcing parts real quick and giviy great advice.
Also MSUK forum is a terrific UK based community with advice and a for sale area
Have you researched the truck you're after?

hiya, thanks for the reply,

I have done aload of digging around and watching reviews, and the one i have fell in love with is the traxxas trx4 defender, priced at £498 (New) it's abit above my £200 budget but i would jhust have to save up for longer aha

I know its well worth the money, i just wish they were a little less aha

being that i partly helped a freind restore one is my main reason for wanting one and that im a self thought Mechanic along with the paperwork from college,
Old 07-24-2018, 09:08 AM   #2729
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by walney-reptiles View Post
hiya, thanks for the reply,

I have done aload of digging around and watching reviews, and the one i have fell in love with is the traxxas trx4 defender, priced at £498 (New) it's abit above my £200 budget but i would jhust have to save up for longer aha

I know its well worth the money, i just wish they were a little less aha

being that i partly helped a freind restore one is my main reason for wanting one and that im a self thought Mechanic along with the paperwork from college,

Not sure if you've considered it or what availability is where you live but the TRX4 Sport might be worth considering. You won't get the Defender body but with the 300/ 312/ 324 mm adjustable wheelbase, you could get the Defender body later so that you're not spending so much money initially. There are some other differences too regarding the Sport having a single speed transmission and full time locked differentials, but if crawling with this rig is all that you're going to use it for, then this might be an option worth looking into. Price wise... the Sport is about $110 cheaper than the Defender and Bronco RTR's here in the states.
high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 12:21 PM   #2730

Quote:
Originally Posted by high plains drifter View Post
Not sure if you've considered it or what availability is where you live but the TRX4 Sport might be worth considering. You won't get the Defender body but with the 300/ 312/ 324 mm adjustable wheelbase, you could get the Defender body later so that you're not spending so much money initially. There are some other differences too regarding the Sport having a single speed transmission and full time locked differentials, but if crawling with this rig is all that you're going to use it for, then this might be an option worth looking into. Price wise... the Sport is about $110 cheaper than the Defender and Bronco RTR's here in the states.

cheers, thanks for the top tip ;) i will look into that option.
Old 07-24-2018, 11:52 PM   #2731

Greetings and salutations!

I've recently been roped back into RC, first finishing an original AE SC10 build I started 7 yrs ago, which got derailed by a couple of babies since then . Now, those babies are 5 and 4, and having a blast with it since I finished it off to run with my brother in law.. newfound common childhood loves ftw .

I loved my original Kyosho Outlaw Ultima, which is why I went with the SC10 when I first came back to RC, but a 4x4 has always been on my wishlist... enter the $250 Losi Rock Rey kit! The price alone to me was crazy, but i loved the challenge in the build and very different capabilities and style. Of course, servicing is a pain, but i have that down to about 14 screws, so not too bad ;)

Mods/gear so far..
- Castle Mamba Monster X ESC + 1406-2850KV Brushless/Sensored Crawler combo
- $10 Castle link card (just arrived)
- RPM Castle Mamba X ESC Cage
- extra Tower Hobbies 2-ch receiver (had to mount atop the battery tray, unfortunately)
- $17,99 Amazon 20KG all-metal WP servo
- Vaterra Twin Hammers front diff locker (center diff)
- Incision SS Rear Upper Link Kit
- Hot Racing Aluminum Front Camber Link Mount
- Hot Racing front aluminum arms (not yet installed)
- TBR Body Fins (protect the lid!)
- old-school tire tape job
- installed deans plug; a little trimming and epoxy, and it should hold up
- AE Trophy Rat wheel/tire spare (just zip-tied for pics )
- First time ever airbrush job

near-term mods..
- TBR front & rear bumpers
- A couple of decent 5000mah 3s lipo packs
- Hot racing front sway bar kit

long-term mods..
- Beadlock wheels + Pro-Line Hyrax tires (or other lower profile tires more suitable for racing/bashing?)
- spare wheel/tire mount
- aluminum front bulkhead
- aluminum rear 3rd member
- SS lower rear links

feedback/suggestions? Thank you for looking!

Last edited by Psychobroker; 07-25-2018 at 12:08 AM. Reason: added pics
Psychobroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 09:26 PM   #2732

Default Scx10.1 & scx10.2

Hi All, I have a SCX10.1 I bought a few months ago. and it is awesome. but I found a good deal on a second truck, an SCX10.2. I love it,... the .2 seems to have just that hair more clearance to get over obstacles, better.
SSmike1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 03:25 AM   #2733

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason View Post
Without fail, everyday we get tons of newbies posting that they have arrived at our site. While this is great and we welcome you, we don't need a thread for every single person.

If you start a thread like that someone will most likely send you to this thread.

Give us the general info:
Who you are?
What kind of rig you have?
Where you live?

If you have a specific question, be sure to use the search feature, and look around. There is a good chance it's been asked before, if not bring it on!

Jason
Who am I:

[/INDENT]Chris aka The Buck (All my trucks get a name, I'm sure yours do too). The Buck happened to be the truck I was driving when I decided to take the leap and join, as I have followed RCCRAWLER for some time.(A bunch of very experienced and intelligent people) I am a member of a group of 10 guys and 1 gal, that get together a couple times a week to "hobby" (as we call it) and drive tiny trucks on the trail and in competitions. We call ourselves Team Garage Hack. You might ask why would some one call themselves a garage hack? Well, besides taking a silly Facebook post personal when it wasn't even directed at our group before we were a group (we did build everything in a garage so it made sense)we look at it like this... We are all nerds in one fashion or the other, so when we say "hack": it is to modify something in clever and wizardly way to make it perform better, just like a "life hack" makes life that much more better. For those of you familiar with THE CRAWL SPACE (he can be abrasive, I know trust me!!! However, he is a great dude with the morals and decency) we in a way owe our origin to his shop as he built a place that has allows us to meet. So that's me and us (the other guys don't do PC's or social media).

PS. If you actually read all that, Thanks! It took some editing to get my description of me/us to get my point across. And those that may know me personally know I like to talk... SO I apologize for not being able to sleep tonight...

My RIG:

[/INDENT]"The Buck" is a scratch built (meaning not a RTR or Kit truck that is modified) SORRCA CLASS 2 based truck. What TGH refers to as standard issue...It performs exceptional in C2, and well enough to compete in C3 (because if you're going to go to a comp, you might as well push yourself and the truck while you're there)....

[/INDENT]Lakewood, Colorado

Last edited by THEBUCK; 07-28-2018 at 04:04 AM. Reason: was incomplete and to give credit to..
THEBUCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 06:28 AM   #2734

Hello all. I used to be really big into racing but then life happened
Now my son is 6 and I'd like to get back into the hobby. I sold all my stuff when I left. But I recently picked up a stampede roller and a tamiya cr-01 from a guy at work. But I have a some question on batteries and chargers. Where can I start with good budget stuff that isn't junk. Thank you
Welderman85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 10:31 AM   #2735

Hello everyone!

My names Anthony, New to RC Crawlers and just purchased the new Axial SXC10 II Chevy Blazer. Really looking forward to having a good time with it!

For the past 17 years or so I've been an RC Aviation enthusiast, Warbirds and such. I've decided to try something different and Crawlers caught my attention.

I currently live in Orange County, CA. Hope to be able to find other local drivers and or clubs which I can join. Please do let me know if you know of any!

Thanks again,

Anthony
CGReload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 10:13 PM   #2736
Pebble Pounder

Hi all,

Just recently joined the forum. Have been into crawlers for a while but also just purchased an Axial SMT10 which I'm doing a few mods to
nzrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 08:27 AM   #2737

New guy here. Not new to rc but new to crawlers. Did a lot of research the last couple of months and picked up a TRX-4 Bronco about a month back. The thing is awesome and pretty much goes anywhere I point it stock. My nephew that lives with me loves it to and I think I will get him a TRX-4 sport for his birthday. Cant wait to start modding it to crawl better. It is very top heavy and needs some weight down low.
schmack b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 11:24 AM   #2738

Just like having extra or Spare batteries, and various other spare parts that you know you will need,... Clips, Screws, etc...
Having the second Crawler has proved to be invaluable. I packed up both trucks aand headed to the Crawling site 1 hour away. I got there and started to play and Broke truck #1, Axle Knuckle broke. well, I put that truck away and played the rest of the day with truck #2...
sure made the day much more enjoyable!!!
SSmike1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 12:06 AM   #2739
Rock Stacker

Hi everyone. I’m Nate and I have a wraith poison spyder that looks nothing like the poison spyder anymore. I live in Omaha NE and I’m wondering, what are some good crawl spots in Omaha?
Nastyn8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 06:35 AM   #2740
Pebble Pounder

Welcome to the site brother. This should narrow it down for you.

Nebraska
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...&share_type=sf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nastyman211 is offline   Reply With Quote