Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Attn: NEWBIES POST HERE<<<<<<

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2019, 09:27 AM   #2801

Default Re: Attn: NEWBIES POST HERE<<<<<<

Hello

My name is Dusty. I'm from Gassville, AR. I've only been messing with RC for less than a year. Some guys from work and myself have been racing dirt oval. I have a modified Slash 2wd. It is a lot of fun, but I'm thinking I'd like to do something besides going in circles.
For Christmas I built my 9 y/o son a Slash. He is a HUGE Jurassic Park fan so I bought a Pro-Line Wrangler body and painted it up to look like the JP Jeep. It is only a 2wd (its all I had. plus, he's only interested in "doing jumps") but he was super excited to have his own Jurassic Park Jeep. Anyways, having a Jeep in the house is making me want a crawler!

On top of that, my wife and I are in the process of buying a 36 acre piece of property that has lots of woods and an awesome creek running through the property. So I'll have tons of creek bed and woods to crawl around in. I can't NOT have a crawler!

Trying to make up my mind what I want to buy to get into the crawling world. I like the idea that the TRX-4 has a two speed trans, portals, and unlockable diffs. But I really like the looks of the Redcat Gen 8 Scout, also with portal axles, and a great price. Just not sure about it being a completely new (untested) model.
dusty13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-2019, 09:59 AM   #2802
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusty13 View Post
Hello

My name is Dusty. I'm from Gassville, AR. I've only been messing with RC for less than a year. Some guys from work and myself have been racing dirt oval. I have a modified Slash 2wd. It is a lot of fun, but I'm thinking I'd like to do something besides going in circles.
For Christmas I built my 9 y/o son a Slash. He is a HUGE Jurassic Park fan so I bought a Pro-Line Wrangler body and painted it up to look like the JP Jeep. It is only a 2wd (its all I had. plus, he's only interested in "doing jumps") but he was super excited to have his own Jurassic Park Jeep. Anyways, having a Jeep in the house is making me want a crawler!

On top of that, my wife and I are in the process of buying a 36 acre piece of property that has lots of woods and an awesome creek running through the property. So I'll have tons of creek bed and woods to crawl around in. I can't NOT have a crawler!

Trying to make up my mind what I want to buy to get into the crawling world. I like the idea that the TRX-4 has a two speed trans, portals, and unlockable diffs. But I really like the looks of the Redcat Gen 8 Scout, also with portal axles, and a great price. Just not sure about it being a completely new (untested) model.

Hey Dusty, nice work on the truck for your son!!! I here you on the oval racing, I did every type of oval racing out there ( carpet, asphalt, dirt, gas and electric) and loved every minute of it!

Let me warn you, crawling will be very addictive!!! Being in my late 60's I don't have the hand/eye I use to have so it fills that competitive niche for me.
The Redcats are making some great progress in design and quality, but having said that the TRX4 or ascender would be a better starting base for you. Both have great forums on here and you would have plenty of support for either. I have both and each of them have their own great features!

The only dumb question on here would be the one you don't ask!!!! Welcome to the forum and hope we hear more from you.

Ernie
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 07:47 PM   #2803

Don't suppose anyone here had built a trail for weekend crawling.? Haven't heard a pep since I joined.
Walt4Mower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 08:11 AM   #2804

Hi All,

Newbie to the RC world here and looking forward to getting into the hobby. I have had, in recent years, a 1980 Toyota 1:1 that I built as a rock crawler with dual t-cases, twin stick shifters, front/rear lockers, custom leaf spring packs, 35" tires, yada yada yada......

So needless to say I am looking to replicate this truck and the RC4WD platform seems to be the obvious choice. I have a couple of questions based on what RC4WD offers:

1) The Marlin Crawler RTR is probably the closest thing to what I had right out of the box but it is more pricey than the regular RTR with yota body.....is it worth it? single speed trans, wheels and bobbed bed is about all I can see different...
2) I am thinking a kit would be more fun than an RTR so that I get to build the truck from the ground up and understand how everything goes together from the get go. They are also cheaper starting out than the RTR I am guessing because they don't include parts to actually make the truck go or a body. So in the end would this be a cheaper route than starting with an RTR and modifying it?

Thanks in advance for helping me with a direction!

Thomas
80Yota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 09:43 AM   #2805

Howdy ya'll,

Jeff, 35 Years old
Everest 10
Kansas City, MO

New to the Forum & newish to RC. Never had a good rig before now. For Christmas I asked for an Everest 10 & I got it! Actually I knew I was getting it so I had ordered upgrades before I even got the truck. I tried it stock, it was fun. I upgraded it, it was funner.

Pre-Upgrades:
Zeee Lipo Battery 7.4V 100C 8000mAh,
RC4WD Z-E0005 540 Crawler Brushed Motor 35T,
Hobbywing Electronic Wing 30112750 Quicrun Wp1080 Waterproof Rock Crawler Brushed ESC Speed Control,
ZOSKAY 1X DS3218 Update servo 20KG Full Metal Gear Digital servo Baja servo Waterproof servo for Baja Cars(Control Angle 180),
Updated XT60 Connectors with Sheath Dean Style for RC Battery.

Yesterday I broke an axle on my backyard course so I ordered better axles, aluminum C-hubs & Steering knuckles. I'm happy with the plastic axle shell for now. Figure I'll replace components as needed.

I have been a big reader of these forums (once I knew I was getting my crawler) looking for advice, things to look out for, ideas, ect. Thank you all for your help & inspiration. Once my rig is complete (still waiting on a square body Chevy clear body, and paint misc parts, KC lights) I will post some pics & performance stats.
Jeff Z7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 11:26 AM   #2806
Pebble Pounder

New user... just got back into RC after about 10 years with a RR10. My last was a AX10 but was more into nitro. Right back into spending untold amounts of money and time on mods and upgrades. Looking for a used rig for my son now. He has a ProLine mini crawler and wants a big one to play with dad. I forgot how much I liked RC crawling. It’s a good pass time while my ongoing Jeep YJ sits in the garage on jack stands longing to get abused again. It’s amazing how much has changed in the last 10 years or so. I will say I don’t miss nitro at all. Though I do wish I still had my RC10GT’s
Brian5582 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 01:06 PM   #2807

I have a question about the vaterra ascender I want to stretch the wheel base to 324 mm has anyone done it and what is needed to do it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Welder17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 12:01 AM   #2808

Ontario canada
Trx 4 defender
Kyle
Kdeveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 08:31 AM   #2809

Ahoy, shy guy long-time lurker here.
Racooon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 11:19 PM   #2810

Another noob here from Adelaide, Australia. The only crawler I currently have is a TRX4 Bronco. Started as a Defender, I've also added a bunch of Yeah Racing brass, RC4WD wagon wheels going on with Hyrax tyres, has a Power HD 20KG servo, Traxxas light kit etc. I've only been fooling around on obstacles at work and friends yards, keen to hit some trails and whatever rocks I can find once I replace the dead ESC! Haven't decided yet whether to go the Hobbywing 1080 or a brushless system.

I envy all you US residents for the totally different calibre of hobby shops you seem to have. We don't have a good one in my state.

I also have a Losi Baja Rey, Traxxas Slash Ultimate and a Traxxas Bigfoot no 1 which is just a basic stampede with a cool body.
SLO247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 03:37 AM   #2811

Howdy all. Finally got a crawler. Picked up the Vaterra F-100. I'm getting back into the ground aspect of R/C. Been flying for 7 or 8 years now.
Thanks to friends I got the crawler bug. Now I can't stop window shopping for goodies. Like i needed another project to go along with my airplane projects. I won't bore you with the same generic new truck photo. We all know that the F100 looks like. I'll be tweaking it at the same time I do a complete paint job on my C-130 project. That I will add a picture of. I'm working on going from the normal grey to the lower picture design. I have Callie Graphics working on some of the key aspects that paint would be too hard.
I'm just waiting for a better round of good weather so I can start the paint process. I am even designing a way to spray water like the real ones do.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
CrashRecovery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 08:56 AM   #2812

Hey everyone, the name is Austin. I just got my first crawler (Redcat Everest Gen7) after taking a few years off from on road and drift RC. I am from Maine originally but reside in Rochester NY now. Hope to find some folks in my area for some GTG runs.
austin.desmond16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 01:43 PM   #2813

Technically not a noob but have been gone for a few years.

I am getting back into the scale crawler scene here soon, will probably pick up a kit for me and some kind of RTR for my 7yo son.

Had a original SCX10 Honcho for several years that took a thrashing and kept on going. I loved that truck, should have never got rid of it.
RCAddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 02:25 PM   #2814
Rock Stacker

Hello I'm not trying to reply to any thing cause I am new to this forum but was wondering if you can go from a 5*10*4 bearing to a 5*11*4 by slightly boring out the housing
Squirral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 10:01 PM   #2815

Hello all,
Sacramento California where it is a balmy 68° on February 1st.
My last rc purchase was a then new team associated rc10t. So it's been awhile. Just jumped back into it with the axial builder's kit. So I'm going to have a lot of questions. Trying to make it look like my 16' jeep wrangler 4 door.
Waldo821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 10:59 PM   #2816
I wanna be Dave

Welcome Gentlemen.

The respective forums of each of your crawlers are a wealth of information. That said the best advice I can give is READ, READ, READ.

Lol, questions are not bad, but the old timers here tend to get annoyed by the same questions over and over. If you start a thread in the respective forum, aka Scx10II, Ascender, Trx4, Redcat sections People will read and give suggestions.
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 10:49 AM   #2817

Hi all I'm Gavin or Dadio , I'm the latest newby to join the forum , I'm 49 and been messing with rc cars since I was 11 with a fairish gap in the middle , I'm mostly into Vintage buggy's but I'm starting to do a little crawling as well so here I am .
Gav
Dadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 08:37 AM   #2818

How do I add pics to a post? Gotta be something I’m missing.
muffhuntin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 09:42 AM   #2819
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by muffhuntin View Post
How do I add pics to a post? Gotta be something I’m missing.
How do I post pics?
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 01:03 PM   #2820

Yeah. How do you?
muffhuntin is offline   Reply With Quote