Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Rally

Notices

Thread: Turtle's Modified XV-01

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2012, 10:17 AM   #81
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Turtle's Modified XV-01

Mate, how much does the chassis weight without battery?

cheers
stormridersp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-2012, 11:42 PM   #82
Gettin’ back on the horse

Thanks guys. Hopefully there will be some video of the DRXs and XV-01s coming from the race we had on saturday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormridersp View Post
Mate, how much does the chassis weight without battery?

cheers
All I can do is guess, unfortunately I don't have a scale.

No real updates, except a breakage report.

I have had to replace all the rod ends in the front end, they kept popping off, Looking for a way to replace them all with standard ball rod ends. I also broke a front A arm, but in all fairness to the car I jumped it WAY to big and deserved the break. As far as tuning all I have done in the last couple weeks is add some more preload to the front shocks.

I ran my sipped Tamiya rally blocks on saturday and they worked very well, these and the Academy tires are the best loose dirt tires I have used.

The car did great and stayed in one piece for the race, I couldn't ask for more.

A few dirty photos.

-Ty
TURTLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 03:02 PM   #83
No idea what I'm doing

Definitely impressed with how it ran on Saturday Ty...This car has such a smooth sound to it.

So is the regular kit what you have? I thought I read Rodney had the Pro kit but the extra cost wasn't worth it.
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:49 PM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by C*H*U*D View Post
Definitely impressed with how it ran on Saturday Ty...This car has such a smooth sound to it.

So is the regular kit what you have? I thought I read Rodney had the Pro kit but the extra cost wasn't worth it.
This started as a regular kit, yes. Rodney does have the Pro kit. The big draw back for me with the pro kit is it does not come with a body and cost more. For me considering the body (if you wanted the one that came in the basic kit) is an additional 50.00 to buy it from Tamiya.

The things I feel are important to upgrade are the toe blocks (xj1, mj1, etc.) and the slipper clutch. I am pretty sure the pro kit doesn't come with either. I think the extra price is for all the fancy blue metal parts, they look nice, but are not really needed. The one thing the pro kit has that I do like are the CVDs, but I think only the fronts are needed to increase steering.

A good servo saver should also be on the things to get.

I try to keep pretty good tabs on everything that I have experienced with this car in this thread. Take a good read through, if I forgot about something let me know.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:46 PM   #85

Grabbed a couple photos from the event last weekend of the XV-01s running'
There were 4 XV-01s at the event a green 2008 Subaru STI, a White Lancia Delta, A orange, black and white 2001 Subaru STI and mine.

Here are some photos:

Video:

And the latest carnage report:

I slapped some tarmac tires on today and notice the car was pulling pretty hard and not wanting to slide. I pulled the belt cover off to see the belt had flipped and was partially shredded. The front pulley teeth were also missing. I have been driving the car quite a bit and probably should have been checking the belt, so I partially blame myself, but I wasn't expecting the front pulley to be stripped as well. I have a spare belt, but will have to order some pulleys oh well, at least we over a month before the next event.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:32 PM   #86
waw
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURTLE View Post
And the latest carnage report:

I slapped some tarmac tires on today and notice the car was pulling pretty hard and not wanting to slide. I pulled the belt cover off to see the belt had flipped and was partially shredded. The front pulley teeth were also missing. I have been driving the car quite a bit and probably should have been checking the belt, so I partially blame myself, but I wasn't expecting the front pulley to be stripped as well. I have a spare belt, but will have to order some pulleys oh well, at least we over a month before the next event.
what really happened to that front pulley teeth, was it because a small rock went in then shredded?
could you put a picture of the shredded belt..?

thx a bunch..
waw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 06:36 AM   #87
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by waw View Post
what really happened to that front pulley teeth, was it because a small rock went in then shredded?

thx a bunch..
I would say its because of Turtles 5700kv. I reckoned while building the kit, that this front pulley might become a weak link, specially if there's a small slack in it.

Turtle, I've read somewhere that there is a aluminum pulley available somewhere. I dont rememeber exactly, but I suppose its the TA-06'.

Keep it up!
Old 12-07-2012, 07:59 AM   #88
waw
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I would say its because of Turtles 5700kv. I reckoned while building the kit, that this front pulley might become a weak link, specially if there's a small slack in it.

Turtle, I've read somewhere that there is a aluminum pulley available somewhere. I dont rememeber exactly, but I suppose its the TA-06'.

Keep it up!
a bit overpowered then.. (maybe)
hopefully it's gonna be fixed soon enough

mine ran on brushed system in the mean time, while still learning how to handle it correctly.. but then everyone has their own favourite set up, right?!
Old 12-07-2012, 08:15 AM   #89

Quote:

thx a bunch..
When I pull it apart in the next week or so I will shoot some photos and post them up.

Quote:

Keep it up!
Yeah the power is part of it. My instant reverse is probably the other part. I have heard the belt skip before when I have slammed it from forward to reverse. Plus I didn't have quite enough tention in it when I first set it up and rocks have gotten in before. I think this car needs a underbody to actually keep everything out, Tamiya's solution is good, but I don't think it is quite enough for the abuse we give these cars in the dirt.

Quote:
a bit overpowered then.. (maybe)
hopefully it's gonna be fixed soon enough

mine ran on brushed system in the mean time, while still learning how to handle it correctly.. but then everyone has their own favourite set up, right?!
Thats true everyone does. I have put 5700kv motors in the last three rally cars I have built, its too much power for all of them, but feels the smoothest in the XV-01. Keep in mind that I have not had a rally car ever that was 100% bullet proof for my style of driving, so the carnage I have had with the XV-01 is expected from my point of view.

I like to include the carnage reports so everyone can see the extreme end of the abuse and what "could" fail if you drive the car a lot on a very over powered system.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:05 AM   #90
waw
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
When I pull it apart in the next week or so I will shoot some photos and post them up.

Yeah the power is part of it. My instant reverse is probably the other part. I have heard the belt skip before when I have slammed it from forward to reverse. Plus I didn't have quite enough tention in it when I first set it up and rocks have gotten in before. I think this car needs a underbody to actually keep everything out, Tamiya's solution is good, but I don't think it is quite enough for the abuse we give these cars in the dirt.

Thats true everyone does. I have put 5700kv motors in the last three rally cars I have built, its too much power for all of them, but feels the smoothest in the XV-01. Keep in mind that I have not had a rally car ever that was 100% bullet proof for my style of driving, so the carnage I have had with the XV-01 is expected from my point of view.

I like to include the carnage reports so everyone can see the extreme end of the abuse and what "could" fail if you drive the car a lot on a very over powered system.
thx
noted on: belt tension + not 100% bulletproof + driving styles + power system

I just remembered, that front pully is not exactly what we may called covered.. it's not is it? the belt cover just run over the belt with a little arc on the front side then added with a back cover which installed/uninstalled together.... that might be an entry way where rocks may slip onto the front side of the cover

one more I did learned from your "carnage" report is that the Separate Suspension Mounts are also a weak point of breakage.. the front on the right side (where I drove and hit a row of paving blocks) broken off, even though it was just a tiny chip.. I lost the small black plastic (NN2 parts) that goes on the end of the arm shaft to the separate suspension mount.., had to replaced it with an unused cutout antenna stand luckily I had the Separate Suspension Mounts ordered before the incident.

I've looked at your previous pictures, you installed the 1XJ parts at the back of the car.. or did you put it both at the rear and the front side also?
Old 12-07-2012, 09:20 AM   #91

Quote:
thx
noted on: belt tension + not 100% bulletproof + driving styles + power system

I just remembered, that front pully is not exactly what we may called covered.. it's not is it? the belt cover just run over the belt with a little arc on the front side then added with a back cover which installed/uninstalled together.... that might be an entry way where rocks may slip onto the front side of the cover
Its really not, I think on page three of this thread there is a photo of the belt off the front pulley, in that photo you can see a rock jammed in the pulley. I have a couple ideas to seal things off, when I get some time in the next week or two I will try it out.

Quote:
one more I did learned from your "carnage" report is that the Separate Suspension Mounts are also a weak point of breakage.. the front on the right side (where I drove and hit a row of paving blocks) broken off, even though it was just a tiny chip.. I lost the small black plastic (NN2 parts) that goes on the end of the arm shaft to the separate suspension mount.., had to replaced it with an unused cutout antenna stand luckily I had the Separate Suspension Mounts ordered before the incident.
Your break is actually different then I have seen, the other breaks I have seen have been that piece snapped in half down the middle.

Quote:
I've looked at your previous pictures, you installed the 1XJ parts at the back of the car.. or did you put it both at the rear and the front side also?
The Hop Up XJ part (large block) is the same front and rear, 1XJ (seperate blocks) is just for the front and 1XM (separate blocks) is just for the rear.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:20 PM   #92

Quote:

Found the listing for it!
Tamiya America Item #54450 | RC 18T Aluminum Pulley - For TA06/XV-01

Now to find it available somewhere.

I also found that same gear as a one-way, so in theory you could make the car front wheel drive in reverse and have a free wheel rear end... not sure if that would help anything, but at least its another option.

There is also a reinforced belt coming as well.
Tamiya America Item #54448 | RC XV-01 Reinforced Drive Belt - 573mm

Last edited by TURTLE; 12-07-2012 at 10:32 PM.
Old 12-08-2012, 03:30 AM   #93
waw
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Found the listing for it!
Tamiya America Item #54450 | RC 18T Aluminum Pulley - For TA06/XV-01

Now to find it available somewhere.

I also found that same gear as a one-way, so in theory you could make the car front wheel drive in reverse and have a free wheel rear end... not sure if that would help anything, but at least its another option.

There is also a reinforced belt coming as well.
Tamiya America Item #54448 | RC XV-01 Reinforced Drive Belt - 573mm
weeewww tamiya is (very very) slowly releasing the hop-up parts for this chassis..
the 18T aluminium pulley is still not widely available when I googled it,

it may look like this one (for TA06)

but the reinforced belt #54448 already available at hongkong stores like rcmart & etamiya AFAIK

Last edited by waw; 12-08-2012 at 03:46 AM.
Old 12-08-2012, 01:15 PM   #94

Quote:
weeewww tamiya is (very very) slowly releasing the hop-up parts for this chassis..
the 18T aluminium pulley is still not widely available when I googled it,

it may look like this one (for TA06)

but the reinforced belt #54448 already available at hongkong stores like rcmart & etamiya AFAIK
I don't think that is it. The one for the XV-01 shouldn't have flanges on either side. There should be a pin slot on the back side and an C clip should be flush against the face.

Anyway. I remembered I had some old Parts sitting around and just by luck I happen to have the right part sitting around from an TA05V2 sitting around. The best part is it was a perfect fit and the bag had two of them in it.

Put it on and the new belt and the car works perfectly again.

Here is the shredded belt, the damage is isolated to one small spot, so I think something must have gotten into the pulley and caused the damage.

And here is the front pulley.

The rear belt pulley had so signs of wear so I left that on. I cleaned the car a little more and added more rubber to protect the front pulley from further damage, its pretty sealed up now so hopefully that keeps rocks out.
Old 12-09-2012, 05:09 AM   #95
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
I don't think that is it. The one for the XV-01 shouldn't have flanges on either side. There should be a pin slot on the back side and an C clip should be flush against the face.

Anyway. I remembered I had some old Parts sitting around and just by luck I happen to have the right part sitting around from an TA05V2 sitting around. The best part is it was a perfect fit and the bag had two of them in it.

Put it on and the new belt and the car works perfectly again.

Here is the shredded belt, the damage is isolated to one small spot, so I think something must have gotten into the pulley and caused the damage.

And here is the front pulley.

The rear belt pulley had so signs of wear so I left that on. I cleaned the car a little more and added more rubber to protect the front pulley from further damage, its pretty sealed up now so hopefully that keeps rocks out.
Ufff, you're probably right mate, its probably some intrusion that occured in that front pulley, otherwise the wear wouldnt be so punctual. Did you check the tensioner and its bearings?
Old 12-09-2012, 08:56 PM   #96

Quote:
Ufff, you're probably right mate, its probably some intrusion that occured in that front pulley, otherwise the wear wouldnt be so punctual. Did you check the tensioner and its bearings?
Yeah the bearings for the tensioner were butter smooth still and one of a few parts that was not covered in rust and dirt. Everything besides the front pulley and belt was in good condition, besides the rust on all the metal parts. I need to get some kind of underbody that covers from the motor to the rear shock tower.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:43 AM   #97
Pebble Pounder

Turtle, I've been reading the TA-06 Pro topic at RcTech, and I've noticed the competitors there generaly setup their diffs with a different combination of viscosities than the XV-01 manual pre-setup, with #900 Hard damper oil, which is the same oil used in the dampers. A cost reduction measure for sure.

The TA-06 guys found the best setup to be between 10k to 100k in the front and 1k in the rear. I've noticed you use 5k in the front and 3k in the rear. Have you tried different viscosities in front?

Cheers
Old 12-12-2012, 07:31 PM   #98

Quote:
Turtle, I've been reading the TA-06 Pro topic at RcTech, and I've noticed the competitors there generaly setup their diffs with a different combination of viscosities than the XV-01 manual pre-setup, with #900 Hard damper oil, which is the same oil used in the dampers. A cost reduction measure for sure.

The TA-06 guys found the best setup to be between 10k to 100k in the front and 1k in the rear. I've noticed you use 5k in the front and 3k in the rear. Have you tried different viscosities in front?

Cheers
Thanks for the input! Its always good to hear what other guys are using. I am still running the same oil in my diffs. It works really well for me, but there is always room for improvement. I will give something like 10k in the front a try and see how I like it. Hell I think I could go thinner in the rear too and help the straight line loose surface performance.

Thanks for the info.

-Ty
Old 12-13-2012, 05:52 AM   #99
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Thanks for the input! Its always good to hear what other guys are using. I am still running the same oil in my diffs. It works really well for me, but there is always room for improvement. I will give something like 10k in the front a try and see how I like it. Hell I think I could go thinner in the rear too and help the straight line loose surface performance.

Thanks for the info.

-Ty
You're welcome, thank YOU for all the info you always share!

As soon as I start testing mine, I'll share my setup findings too. Its always good to have a place to talk about this technical things.

Last edited by stormridersp; 12-13-2012 at 05:58 AM.
Old 12-15-2012, 11:10 PM   #100
Quarry Creeper

Turtle, what gearing are you running? I believe you have the slipper so 48p what spur/pinion runs well with that 5700?
Theibault is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/rally/400591-turtles-modified-xv-01-a.html
Posted By For Type Date
RC Elétrico - o fórum de automodelismo elétrico! • Tópico: - Querendo começar no Rally This thread Refback 02-20-2013 09:13 AM
Slash Garage This thread Refback 02-14-2013 05:06 PM

Turtle's Modified XV-01 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Turtle's Modified DF03ra TURTLE Rally 83 04-10-2014 02:38 AM
Turtle's Modified TB01 TURTLE Rally 78 03-08-2013 01:57 AM
Turtle's Modified DF01 TURTLE Rally 17 08-15-2012 07:05 PM
Turtle's skeeter TURTLE EnRoute Berg 36 06-07-2009 05:02 PM