Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Rally

Notices

Thread: Turtle's Modified XV-01

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2013, 10:08 AM   #181
Rock Stacker

I decided not to get them, but the rears do offer some additional shock positions.
Trixxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-2013, 12:31 PM   #182
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Turtle's Modified XV-01

You ordering your stuff from banzai or??? The spring kit just got released, im exited about it.
kikcaffine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:13 PM   #183
Gettin’ back on the horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by FattyMcJ View Post
Haha nice, I almost ordered the CF shock towers too, while I was on my "Turtle inspired eBay spree" the other day.

Let us know how well they work out
Will do! I was pleasantly surprised with them actually, they are much thicker then any other CF parts I have ever had.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trixxx View Post
I decided not to get them, but the rears do offer some additional shock positions.
They do! The stock rears have 4 positions for the shocks, the Carbon fiber one has six, sadly though I don't mount my shocks there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikcaffine View Post
You ordering your stuff from banzai or??? The spring kit just got released, im exited about it.
Umm... These parts I ordered from RDVTG, but I also order from Stella Models, Phil's Hobbies, dinball, toys-misa, joy hobby store, lovely_and_rare, basically anyone who has the best price and what I am looking for.

Thats cool on the springs, but really you guys need to get on longer shocks it is night and day better then the stock shocks.

Alright a few photos of the upgrades on the car.

Rear shock tower with the shocks mounted in the body mount location, if you tuned in late I run a 3.5" shock in the rear with losi black (1.2lb) springs.

The front you can hardly see it with the added rubber I put on, but the fancy blue parts look nice.

And here is how I got in to replace the stock plastic steering bridge.

And the new metal bridge in place, I cleaned and greased the bearings while I had it apart and put loc-tite on the screws holding the steering together.

Not sure if I ever shot a photo of this before. But here you can see the rods ends I am using for the camber links. I had issues with the stock ends popping off all the time so this seemed to be the best option.

I was also sick of not having a driver, I didn't have an interior sitting around, but I did have one of the Tamiya heads I molded. So I painted it up and tapped the bottom for a 3mm screw and have the start to a driver.

You may also have noticed that I still run sipped Tamiya Rally block tires. It is really surprising how much better they work.

I should have a couple more updates later this week working out the last of the issues.
TURTLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 01:37 AM   #184
waw
Quarry Creeper

oooow man.. you've got yourself so many hop-up parts Ty...
now I just can't keep up on mine

by the way love the way the head sits on a stick like that.. a bit creepy hahahhaaaa
waw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:28 AM   #185
Pebble Pounder

Fancy! Looks good man!
FattyMcJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 05:27 PM   #186
RCC Addict

Damm, every time I order parts you add more. I'll never get my kit started lol

From my phone using my fingers.
fvrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 02:27 AM   #187
Rock Crawler

Hey I got a quick question for ya: how are the diff gears holding up? I might try to start hunting for a set of steel gears, have you installed them yet?
I'm wondering if your 5700kv had any effect on those cute little white delrin diff gears.
brokennib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:52 AM   #188

Quote:
Originally Posted by waw View Post
oooow man.. you've got yourself so many hop-up parts Ty...
now I just can't keep up on mine

by the way love the way the head sits on a stick like that.. a bit creepy hahahhaaaa
LOL Thanks. There are a lot, but I am about done... I think. I have another metal pulley and CVDs for the rear coming. I would like to get some threaded body 3" and 3.5" shocks after that I am about done... Maybe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FattyMcJ View Post
Fancy! Looks good man!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fvrr View Post
Damm, every time I order parts you add more. I'll never get my kit started lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokennib View Post
Hey I got a quick question for ya: how are the diff gears holding up? I might try to start hunting for a set of steel gears, have you installed them yet?
I'm wondering if your 5700kv had any effect on those cute little white delrin diff gears.

I am still running the stock plastic gears and spider gears. I opened the rear diff a month ago and didn't see any wear at all. Personally I would not put steel gears in this car. It is a lot more rotating mass, that will cause other parts to fail. Plus I don't think the drive train will run as smooth or be as efficient. I also think in the end it is going to cause belts to wear much faster because of the extra weight it is going to have to push.
Old 04-12-2013, 11:12 AM   #189
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURTLE View Post

I am still running the stock plastic gears and spider gears. I opened the rear diff a month ago and didn't see any wear at all. Personally I would not put steel gears in this car. It is a lot more rotating mass, that will cause other parts to fail. Plus I don't think the drive train will run as smooth or be as efficient. I also think in the end it is going to cause belts to wear much faster because of the extra weight it is going to have to push.
Wow, very cool. of course I just ordered some steel gears and they've already shipped, but i'll just hang on to them as backup.
brokennib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 11:43 AM   #190

Started a video I have been planning to make for a couple of months now. It just a preview for now.

Enjoy!

Old 04-15-2013, 02:43 PM   #191

Just got my XV-01 Pro today, couldn't find a non pro version but I got it for 234.99 so I'm ok with the price.

I signed up here just to say your paint job is pretty awesome!
gtnilc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 03:11 PM   #192
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtnilc View Post
Just got my XV-01 Pro today, couldn't find a non pro version but I got it for 234.99 so I'm ok with the price.

That's a smokin deal. Where?

Old 04-15-2013, 03:29 PM   #193

Quote:
That's a smokin deal. Where?

Local store, it was listed at $244.99 but I bought few other things so they hooked it up. Lowest price I could find online were in the 260 range for the XV-01 pro.
Old 04-15-2013, 03:33 PM   #194

Turtle, do you sell any of splatter painted body shells?
Old 04-15-2013, 03:39 PM   #195

Quote:

Thanks man. Be sure to post up a build thread when you get yours going!

Quote:
Turtle, do you sell any of splatter painted body shells?
I don't sell my personal shells, but I am willing to paint some for the select few. Send me a PM and we can talk.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:16 PM   #196

I got the last of the parts I ordered in. I had a rear pulley come apart, which caused belt issues again so I ordered an aluminum pulley for the rear and a new belt. Hopefully this will take care of the issues I have been having. I hope!

Then the other day I suspected my stock bearings holding the differentials were going out so I grabbed some Traxxas 10 X 15 X 4 rubber sealed bearings.

Its a good thing I got bearings, the rears were fine, but one of the front bearings was going out and there was actually evidence that it was seizing up.

While I was in the diffs I replaced the fluid. I opened the rear to see all the 1000 weight oil was gone, but the nylon gears were still in great shape. I opened the front and the differential was still holding grease from when I first put it in back in August, it was pretty dirty though. So I cleaned it out and filled it with 10,000 weight oil. I then re-greased all the gears, cleaned it and threw it altogether. I replaced a few more philips head screws scraped some more dirt of and got it all back together without any issues. I also end up taking a few more lugs off the tires to open them up a bit with the assumption that our last race of the CRC series this coming saturday will probably be a little wet.

Oh and I got some CVDs for the rear end, but I completely forgot that the rears required different lengths, so now I have two sets for the front and none for the back. One more order to place.

For those interested the part numbers for the rear CVDs are:

Tamiya 53505 (39mm swing shaft)
Tamiya 51444 (cross joint set)
Tamiya 9804648 (wheel axle long)

Good luck finding the wheel axle long though! The only place on the net I can find it is Tamiya America and I have tried searching multiple part numbers and just the description.

Last edited by TURTLE; 04-16-2013 at 09:46 PM.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:50 AM   #197
RCC Addict

Haha, put another belt and pulley in my cart before you posted this I also added the bearing kit they have on ebay. Are they needed or is there a different set for rally? Anyway, waiting a extra week before making my last order
Old 04-17-2013, 11:37 AM   #198

Quote:
Haha, put another belt and pulley in my cart before you posted this I also added the bearing kit they have on ebay. Are they needed or is there a different set for rally? Anyway, waiting a extra week before making my last order
If you drive like me its a good call to have another belt sitting around.

I'm not sure if a full bearing kit is needed. I have just slowly been replacing the bearings that are exposed to the elements with rubber sealed bearings. Everything beside the one bearing holding the front diff was in great shape no rust and very smooth. At the very least you can have them around as extras so if anything does go out you are ready.
Old 04-24-2013, 01:51 PM   #199
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURTLE View Post
Ty, On the rally light kit, are the LED's glued into the back of the buckets? from the pictures it looks like it all lexan molded parts, w/ no LED retainer clips. Did you buy the one with the LED included? Are there 6 separate LED's or do they combine into 1 plug?
BasicMods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 03:16 PM   #200

I bought mine as the lexan kit that doesn't include lights. I just wired lights for mine yesterday and shoe goo'd the lights into the buckets. I wired them so they come out on a single plug. I will shoot some photos and post up.

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/rally/400591-turtles-modified-xv-01-a.html
Posted By For Type Date
RC Elétrico - o fórum de automodelismo elétrico! • Tópico: - Querendo começar no Rally This thread Refback 02-20-2013 09:13 AM
Slash Garage This thread Refback 02-14-2013 05:06 PM

Turtle's Modified XV-01 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Turtle's Modified DF03ra TURTLE Rally 83 04-10-2014 02:38 AM
Turtle's Modified TB01 TURTLE Rally 78 03-08-2013 01:57 AM
Turtle's Modified DF01 TURTLE Rally 17 08-15-2012 07:05 PM
Turtle's skeeter TURTLE EnRoute Berg 36 06-07-2009 05:02 PM