Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > RC4WD Trail Finder 2

Notices

Thread: Once was a shelf queen, now a Troyota..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2014, 11:35 PM   #61
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Once was a shelf queen, now a Troyota..

I started by drilling the "C" area out to 1/2".

Then dropped to 7/16" to drill out where my bearings would be going.

After that, I used my dremel to work the ends down till the C's snuggly slid on (or pushed on)..

And and the end (for tonight)..

winnerone23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-2014, 02:18 PM   #62
I wanna be Dave

Donor wraith vvd shafts.. Marked at center of pumpkin..

First cut's.. Only cut's! Lucky...

Tang's ground and spool in!

Now to figure out how I'm going to mount the C's solid.
Old 12-19-2014, 04:31 PM   #63
RCC Addict

Mmm... BEEFY.
Beest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 07:54 PM   #64

It amazes me how to scale some of these things can be.
Bean1012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 03:27 PM   #65

hopefully this mod lasts longer then the oem hey....
ur4skin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 03:46 PM   #66
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnerone23 View Post
I see that BND(a vendor here) has beef tubes or "repair tubes" that are actual scx width but for XR/wraith steering setups.. So prolly something I'll look into.
I just did this to my JK and I'm happy with how sharp it turns now. I just picked up a TF2 and was thinking the same thing. I will be watching this to see how your turns out.
Adama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 03:46 PM   #67
I wanna be Dave

I'm sure it will beefy enough to handle the HH power behind it.. Now just hoping the ring and pinion gears hold up!

The scale is pretty awesome on these rigs and can be Far beyond what I have done.
I only went far enough to enjoy it on the rocks. If I went further, I might have to Think about driving it like a model and not a rig! Lol
Old 12-30-2014, 07:09 AM   #68
I wanna be Dave

Progress reporting time..

Got the top and bottom holes in the C's drilled and tapped to 3mm.. The other 2x per C are 4mm..

Axles back together and mounted.. Tho, I forgot about the shock mounts.. :/ I got a plan for that..

Working on a tie rod and drag link now. Then shift servo mounting, before finally getting on the rocks!

And since I didn't do this mod for steering, but simply Beef, I'm not to worried about the tire getting into the leafs. I can have all the steering I want tho!

Old 12-31-2014, 07:30 PM   #69
Rock Crawler

Very cool rig!

I didnt realize you had one of these as well! I got a new kit coming, I cant wait!! I was gonna pick one up here used but its been far to long since I had a new rig (13 years)

I will be throwing in a Holmes setup as well, What would you recommend for a turn? Doesnt need to be a torque monster, I'm looking to hopefully keep the stock knuckles and chubs.

Also hows the axle wrap with the red springs? Im looking to have mine where you thought it looked too low. you run a traction bar?

rig looks amazing, just sub'd
802coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 07:57 PM   #70
I wanna be Dave

Thanks coma! Yeah, I have one as well.. To go with my scx, wraith/Sexo, yeti, (multiple)mrc, (multiple)ax, XR, Berg, and venom creeper.. Lol..

I hope to see a build on ur TF2, as well!
A New rig!? What's that? Lol.. All most all of mine are built out of parts/rigs out of the for sale section, traded, or CL.. Then built up to keep up with my throttle finger! ;) I think my CCC Berg is the only one that was mostly new. CCC Berg in a box kit rocks!

WP Brxl for sure! HH Servo, any of the crawl type motors, IMO, are the way to go, in this rig. All the usable torque needed w/the benefit's of the smoothest start-up, and wheel speed to work in either gear. So a 16t would be what I would recommend..
As you have read, I like wheel speed.. Lol.. Running 4s in my scx, Sexo, and yeti..
This is a animal on 3s and more then plenty to make me smile, for all this rig can handle..

I didn't think the axle wrap was bad with the red leafs, I just didn't like the low ride height..

Stock knucks are great.. I just had a bad taste from the xvd's..
It's not just from this rig. The creeper's "upgraded" cvd's option where the xvd's as well.. I found the stock creeper cvd's to last longer then the xvd's in that as well! Till I did the XR mod to that, 2½ yrs ago! Hahaha..

So I'm no newb to steering mods an upgrades.. ;) it just doesn't feel right without doing them.. Haha

No traction bar
Old 12-31-2014, 08:13 PM   #71
Rock Crawler

Yes I do plan on doing a build thread on this one too. Its a great way just to document everything.

It probably wont get electronics until I finish up on the yeti (got most of the front end to do) But this should keep me busy, since its my first real scale rig Ill be taking my time, Love to swap all the hardware out to scale hardware. Would like to bob the bed and maybe half doors just like my 1:1 taco.

Thinking I will build it up completely stock out of the box and then I will start doing the mods from there instead of doing them as I build it.

I have some factory axial electronics and a cheapy servo so I can at least drive it around before putting what I want in it.

Ill have to try a crawlmaster out. Ive only used Johns torquemaster expert. and yes it will get a HH servo. (damn now I got 2 to buy! )

Have some delrin leafs on the bench I was gonna use on the rear of my scx10, the inital plan was to add some scaleness to it but I didnt want to hinder the performance being my main comp rig. maybe Ill give them a try on the tf2.

Im not gonna go to power hunger in this, 2s -3s depending on the day lol.

Now I got a beautiful week to wait for it, just gotta think of a name for her. lol

Oh one last thing, where do you find the round headlights!?!?
Old 12-31-2014, 09:38 PM   #72
I wanna be Dave

Well let's see some 1:1 pics... Why ya holdin out bro!? Lol..

scale hardware.. That's a little past my level of scaleness.. Haha.. Scale nuts, that I can do!

Some stuff was changed on mine when I got it, but a stock drive train.. I traded a nice scx, I had about 80$ into for the TF2! Love it!

Factory electronics will be plenty to start with. The TF2 doesn't take much to move it around.

Oh man! You have Levels of HH Greatness to move up yet! 8o
Torquemaster pro, crawlmaster expert, crawlmaster pro, 400-500 pullers, etc, etc.. YES! Lol..

I've seen the delrin leafs.. They look pretty cool, just never got to see any in actions.

I don't have 2s for rigs. I run my tx's off 2s, that's it.. Or some little 300mah 2s for my mellow mrc days.. Lol..

Round are the OG headlights... I think the square came out with the TF2. I'm not really sure tho, maybe someone with more knowledge can chime in on that one..
Old 12-31-2014, 09:49 PM   #73
Rock Crawler

Default Once was a shelf queen, now a Troyota..

Hahaha nice touch with the scale nuts lmao

Wanna see the 1:1? Nothing special, still need to upgrade the shafts, setup dual cases and then some 38's then I'll be happy with it as long as I can keep the shafts in it hahaha.

This was the for sale pic of when I bought it. I too can't leave nothing alone if it has a motor and wheels haha.

I'm really excited for the tf2 gonna probably order up some driveshafts cause I've been seeing it's not even worth the time to run the stock ones. Maybe some red spring. I'll play around with what I have first though...
Old 01-01-2015, 02:26 PM   #74
I wanna be Dave

Wiring was fun and rewarding!

I normally cut a 6-8" length off the bec rx wires and solder it back to the board. Then crimp male pins and a female end on the OG wire's.. It creates a inline "Y" harness type-a-thing.. I just plug the servo into the female and the re soldered end to the rx..
Anywho.. I decided to make a "Y" harness of my own, for this rig, as weight isn't a concern, like a comp rig..

All plugged in and ready to roll..

It's pretty neat how it all fits.

And mounted..

Motor wires.. What motor wires!?

Top view and steering.. Steering makes me smile!

Found my rear driveshaft.

This gets me down to tie rod, drag link, shift servo, and front shock mount made..
Other then that, it's ready to get some character!
Old 01-01-2015, 02:34 PM   #75
I wanna be Dave

I want to send a shout out to Eddie @ the CI lab, for this silly block of foam! (Or so I thought, was my original idea of it)

Since I got one, I have used it on every rig I have worked on!

Under the center of the chassis, under the front when the wheels are off.
It holds tools, if you poke a hole in it. It's a shock stand, motor stand, you can rotate it with ur rig on it easily.

I have used it so much, I got a second one!
It's way better then stacked foams or tires that I was use to using! Lol..
Old 01-01-2015, 09:49 PM   #76
I wanna be Dave

One of my favorite parts of this rig, other then the looks and the steering.. Lol..

Is getting rid of that rock hanging, ground clearance killing, transfer case skid!

With a quick tire/wheel swap, this could Easily be a runner in class 2!
Old 01-02-2015, 04:06 AM   #77

yip i agree...that t-case so low is terrible, like the end results of your bakkie. Im waiting for my growlers hope they are as good as everyone makes them out to be.
ur4skin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 09:08 AM   #78
Rock Crawler

Man this little rig is really coming along. Love the paint and wheels. Are you concerned with the angle the transfer case is cocked to? I am digging the clearance you gained. Should work well as long as there's no binding.

More updates please.
BadWagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 08:12 PM   #79
I wanna be Dave

Thanks guys..
Let's see if this update doesn't reply to you both..

So last night I started throwing links at it. I have to get measurements for ti steering links to be made by my man Purp..

No laughing!!! Lmao!

I swapped out the front foams for some CI 4.25" shorty Lil Nova foams..
They seem a little stuffed so I only did 2.. Thinking, if it's too stuffed, I can narrow the outers on the other 2 for the front.
But I can actually feel the added grip of the tires, just by running my fingers over the tread!
Like, instead of the tread folding over and turning into a slick, the tread stays solid and each lug grips and grabs!

So out to the rocks I went! Woo whooo!!!!

For a little anyways.. :( the overdrive is more noticeable then OD/UD gears in my comp rig!
With that overdrive comes a hung up rear.. Which follows..

No worries. Back up plan and wheels turning in the right direction already!

Old 01-05-2015, 06:12 PM   #80
Rock Stacker

Looks good Troy. Ive been kicking the idea around of gettin a scale rig again!! Lots of land at the new house for sweet trails! We gotta get together and go check it out!
aclark09 is offline   Reply With Quote

Once was a shelf queen, now a Troyota.. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
shelf queen no more! jamesdicken 1.9 Scale Rigs 19 03-27-2011 07:51 PM
old build shelf queen anybody know what it is? stangaddict Tamiya Clod Buster 17 02-22-2009 10:05 PM