Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Competitions and Events > Scale Comp Rules

Notices

Thread: 2014 scale rules discussion or question thead

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2014, 08:51 AM   #241
Rock Crawler

Default Re: 2014 scale rules discussion or question thead

I was going to try but you know me, good old 40 GRIT. I'm too abrasive, sorry for the slight hijack just a inside joke. War pig just has a way with words.
boob dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-2014, 09:01 AM   #242
Scale Detail Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by minicooperzoom View Post
If i register for class 1 and class 2 can i use the same truck for both classes if i make changes to it that meat each classes rules and regulations
I suppose it would depend on where/with who you're running but generally, no... you can not swap tires and run it in 2 classes at the same comp/day.

EDIT: From Toledo, OH?
I'm originally from the area.
johnnyh66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 09:32 AM   #243
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotwheels000 View Post
Great explination Tim, I was going to try and answer but couldnt quite type it out logically.
Thanks Devlin. I saw the question last night but was too tired to answer. Of course I layed there in bed for an hour thinking about it.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by boob dude View Post
I was going to try but you know me, good old 40 GRIT. I'm too abrasive, sorry for the slight hijack just a inside joke. War pig just has a way with words.
Yeah, glad you didn't try to answer.....that would have been like setting a belt sander on the floor and plugging it in with the trigger locked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyh66 View Post
I suppose it would depend on where/with who you're running but generally, no... you can not swap tires and run it in 2 classes at the same comp/day.

EDIT: From Toledo, OH?
I'm originally from the area.
Really depends on the event. Organizers have the final say on that.
War Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 01:02 PM   #244
I wanna be Dave

Thank you WP, Tim. I think I understand. I'm still not sure why someone would go to all the time and effort to get as many scale points as possible, only to have 1/2 of them taken away.
I do understand that it affects all drivers the same way. Makes sense to me to work at driving better then to add more weight and waist alot of time and money adding scale items.

Just my 2 cents.
stelerzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 01:24 PM   #245
RCC Addict

Honestly I dont like so many scale points. Its to much like model building. Models are stationary, and sit on a shelf. RC's drive in mud and water. Build something that will do work.

But thats just my 2cents jumping into a thread I have not read.
KBrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 02:47 PM   #246
Quarry Creeper

In southern Ohio we ran our points then found out it takes away from the event so we ran scale like moa you have set points you exceed you dq. But a bigger events they tend to mark points per round due to if you lose a item you lose the point . Where some tally it up and remove what points you have after. This was what we based southern Ohio off of we also made point cap which stops someone from walking in with -300 and get dns and still win some clubs do this per course and some total -50 has always been majority a events I attended so far. And as the previous guy said it is alotlike model building because it is. This hobby is model building, Rc building and drive ability skills all mashed up thus why at the end of every rule posted it states its the club or event host choice and final say so each event is always different
Absurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 03:09 PM   #247
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by stelerzman View Post
Thank you WP, Tim. I think I understand. I'm still not sure why someone would go to all the time and effort to get as many scale points as possible, only to have 1/2 of them taken away.
I do understand that it affects all drivers the same way. Makes sense to me to work at driving better then to add more weight and waist alot of time and money adding scale items.
We aren't taking away points. Most clubs run 2 courses per class, hence you receive 100% of your points. The 1/2 per course is for the 3rd and 4th courses. A -50 point truck would get -75 for 3 courses and -100 for 4 courses.

The whole point is figuring out how to build a -50 scale point truck that still drives good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBrog View Post
Honestly I dont like so many scale points. Its to much like model building. Models are stationary, and sit on a shelf. RC's drive in mud and water. Build something that will do work.

But thats just my 2cents jumping into a thread I have not read.
But scale trucks ARE like building model trucks.....that you can drive. Making them as realistic looking as you can is half the fun. Being able to drive them is the other half.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absurd View Post
In southern Ohio we ran our points then found out it takes away from the event so we ran scale like moa you have set points you exceed you dq. But a bigger events they tend to mark points per round due to if you lose a item you lose the point . Where some tally it up and remove what points you have after. This was what we based southern Ohio off of we also made point cap which stops someone from walking in with -300 and get dns and still win some clubs do this per course and some total -50 has always been majority a events I attended so far. And as the previous guy said it is alotlike model building because it is. This hobby is model building, Rc building and drive ability skills all mashed up thus why at the end of every rule posted it states its the club or event host choice and final say so each event is always different
The most important thing is to have fun in your local clubs with the knowledge that if you go to a large SORRCA scale competition anywhere in the US you will know what to expect in the way of rules and scale points.

Thanks guys!
Old 03-06-2014, 11:20 AM   #248
I wanna be Dave

As I stated before, last weekend was my first scale comp, comps. So I'm tying to full comprehend the format and rules. Thank you Tim. It's still a learning process, but it's becoming clear.
stelerzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 04:52 PM   #249
I wanna be Dave

Questions are the way to learn, that is what this sub forum is for..... ask away
hotwheels000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 07:56 AM   #250
Rock Crawler

As the rules are currently written, is there any reason why a dually could not claim scale points for (2) spare tires?
GiJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 08:15 AM   #251
R2j
SORRCA Committee Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiJoe View Post
As the rules are currently written, is there any reason why a dually could not claim scale points for (2) spare tires?

I would say no, a dually is just that, and not spare tires.
R2j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 08:30 AM   #252
Rock Stacker

Hello, in this type of car class2 truggy can I count as exo-cage 1 row?

There is a cage protecting the people inside.
thank you
arny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 08:37 AM   #253
Scale Detail Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by arny View Post

thank you
What the?
Isn't that the GripFab rig?
Did you buy this or just using it as an example?

EDIT: ohh, I reread your question... just an example.
johnnyh66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 08:40 AM   #254
Rock Stacker

Yes, just an example.
arny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 08:50 AM   #255
R2j
SORRCA Committee Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arny View Post

thank you
Yes it would be Class2, and from what I can see, 1 row cage points and truggy points. Jeeps are hard for me the decipher sometimes because of the open cockpit. You also need to make sure it uses a ladder style chassis to be Class 2 legal, this one has that.
R2j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 10:21 AM   #256
Quarry Creeper

Regarding tires, as I read it you cannot cut and reduce a tire down in any class other than class 3 correct? My brother wants to get a TSL XL and cut it down a touch so it's not quite so big, but not as small as the regular TSL XL and it looks to be illegal for comps. I am understanding that correctly right? Thanks.
alpine4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 12:20 PM   #257
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpine4x4 View Post
Regarding tires, as I read it you cannot cut and reduce a tire down in any class other than class 3 correct? My brother wants to get a TSL XL and cut it down a touch so it's not quite so big, but not as small as the regular TSL XL and it looks to be illegal for comps. I am understanding that correctly right? Thanks.
Correct. You can sipe them or remove lugs but no modifying the diameter.
Old 03-07-2014, 12:31 PM   #258
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Pig View Post
Correct. You can sipe them or remove lugs but no modifying the diameter.
Just curious, why is it illegal? 1:1's have a range of tires you can run, but RC's are stuck to one size for each tire unless you change rim, but that usually makes you size up too much or hardly at all. Is it because you cannot do that to a 1:1 tire so you shouldn't legally be able to do it on a 1:10 rig? I just see it as a way to get a tire that someone likes to a height that works for them and their rig, hence why a rig that can run 38's isn't going to run 33's on a 1:1.
AC_Crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 01:13 PM   #259
RCC Addict

Because if they made it legal for the guys that are trying to stay scale and not trim fenders, then guys like me would reduce a2.2 pitbull xor to 4.75 or even 4.19 and dominate the competition! The rules are written for comp minded people to keep them in line (and I can only imagine the stress put into it) but cut up a set and build what's on your mind! I know your local club would probably let you reduce your ground clearance and look the other way without opening up an important rule!
ToyZuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 03:41 PM   #260
I wanna be Dave

What he said ^^^^

There are ALOT more options now than 2 or 3 years ago.....enjoy it

2014 scale rules discussion or question thead - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2013 scale rules discussion or question thead War Pig Scale Comp Rules 808 08-15-2014 09:29 PM
2014 Crawling GTG's and (NON-2014 MIRCA) Event Discussion 95geo Michigan 5 02-23-2014 05:06 PM
2014 SORRCA Scale rules doublej Scale Comp Rules 3 01-03-2014 01:09 PM