Thanks. I wasnt sure so i wanted to ask
jeepscx10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-2014, 10:19 PM   #222
Gettin’ back on the horse

Default Re: 2014 scale rules discussion or question thead

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogz View Post
Have a Question I'm going to be signing up for the east coast challenge when it comes up and my brother witch is very new a the scale thing and would to do it as well. My rigs are not stock but his is pure out of the box ax10 deadbolt, can he run that?* If so what if any mods does he need to do?* Thanks. Happy scaling.
Per the SORRCA rules the Deadbolt is not a scale platform. However the issue (I think) is purely with the chassis. The Deadbolt chassis is considered a TVP (Twin Vertical plate) chassis, which is not allowed at strict SORRCA events. To make the rig legal I think the only change would have to be the chassis, to either a ladder frame or tube chassis. I am not sure about the other specs of the platform, but I know that is the big one keeping it out of SORRCA events.
TURTLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 10:37 PM   #223

Ok thank you for the answers.
boogz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 08:08 PM   #224
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURTLE View Post
Per the SORRCA rules the Deadbolt is not a scale platform. However the issue (I think) is purely with the chassis. The Deadbolt chassis is considered a TVP (Twin Vertical plate) chassis, which is not allowed at strict SORRCA events. To make the rig legal I think the only change would have to be the chassis, to either a ladder frame or tube chassis. I am not sure about the other specs of the platform, but I know that is the big one keeping it out of SORRCA events.
This reminded me of something I been thinking about, a Full tube chassis or inner cage, could these be bolt together like the Wraith or would it be considered TVP ?

Also if Using wraith as a example the side cages being metal and the inside being plastic still be considered a metal chassis due to majority being metal? This question came to me thinking saving weight while still building a tube buggy
Absurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 09:02 PM   #225
Gettin’ back on the horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absurd View Post
This reminded me of something I been thinking about, a Full tube chassis or inner cage, could these be bolt together like the Wraith or would it be considered TVP ?

Also if Using wraith as a example the side cages being metal and the inside being plastic still be considered a metal chassis due to majority being metal? This question came to me thinking saving weight while still building a tube buggy
Yes a cage can be bolted together. Potentially the cage could have metal sides and plastic supports, but you wouldn't get full metal cage points for it. The entire structure should be made of metal to receive particular points, as the rules state certain things must be contained in order to be awarded the scale points, otherwise I would just award points for plastic.

There are other ways to save weight though, smaller diameter tube/rod for some parts, thinner wall tubing, etc. By the time you mount all the hardware and solid plastic parts I can't imagine a big weight different between just brazing a chassis together.
TURTLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 02:25 PM   #226
RCC Addict

One of our club members raised this Question
So here's running it up the ladder for him:-

I have the RC4WD tube exocage for the FT1, as below.
http://store.rc4wd.com/Hilux-and-Moj...er_p_1591.html

I am a little confused as to how you would mark it for scale points?
Assume class 2 would it get the following points?
Could it be used in Class 1?

exo-cage over one row of seat 3
bed mounted roll cage 2
rear tube bed 3
stinger 1
rock sliders 3
Front metal bumper? 3
rear metal bumper? 3
Dready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 05:28 AM   #227
Rock Stacker

Say I want to use the proline Jeep Cherokee body and i want to make a bumper that hides behind the front bumper on the body does that count as having full width bumper?

Also would the honcho cage count as Dove tail or what?

Last edited by minicooperzoom; 03-01-2014 at 05:32 AM.
minicooperzoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 06:12 AM   #228
Quarry Creeper

The Cherokee body has a full width molded bumper which counts as a bumper I think

Ohio Rc Scale Gurus!!
MudHoncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 07:21 PM   #229
R2j
SORRCA Committee Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dready View Post
One of our club members raised this Question
So here's running it up the ladder for him:-

I have the RC4WD tube exocage for the FT1, as below.
http://store.rc4wd.com/Hilux-and-Moj...er_p_1591.html

I am a little confused as to how you would mark it for scale points?
Assume class 2 would it get the following points?
Could it be used in Class 1?

exo-cage over one row of seat 3 yes
bed mounted roll cage 2
rear tube bed 3 yes
stinger 1 yes
rock sliders 3 yes
Front metal bumper? 3 yes
rear metal bumper? 3

Class 2 with the tube bed. If it was a flat bed, then it could be Class 1. I would say points for just the tube bed, not bed mounted roll cage and I wouldn't consider that and rear bumper because it is part of the tube bed. That's still some good points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by minicooperzoom View Post
Say I want to use the proline Jeep Cherokee body and i want to make a bumper that hides behind the front bumper on the body does that count as having full width bumper?

Also would the honcho cage count as Dove tail or what?
The molded factory bumper would be considered full width.

As for the Honcho, that is a plastic tube bed and does not have any dove tail to it.
R2j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 07:55 PM   #230
Rock Crawler

The honcho bed narrows at the back, I thought it was already discussed that that was considered a dove tail.
skerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 08:38 PM   #231
R2j
SORRCA Committee Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skerb View Post
The honcho bed narrows at the back, I thought it was already discussed that that was considered a dove tail.

It does narrow at the very back, but that is not a dove tail. Dovetail is when you start at the cab and pull the sides in creating a transition front to back.

Straight sides with no taper
Name:  scx10_honcho_470x289.jpg
Views: 902
Size:  38.6 KB

Taper front to back.
Name:  user26683_pic25653_1316060506.jpg
Views: 1165
Size:  44.0 KB
Old 03-02-2014, 06:25 PM   #232
Quarry Creeper

If I took the time to make a full fiber glass body how would it fit into the current rules and how many points would it be worth? a idea would be it will be a hard body but lighter then heavy plastic and it would be 100% costume made due to needing to make a mold and setting it then all the details, Sorry ahead of time if this has already been answered my net is kinda slow and makes searching harder now.

Quote:
Body:
• Hard body: full -8, cab -4
• Drop bed : -3
• Custom built hard body:
The body must meet this criteria:
Have 3-dimensional body panels that cover the chassis (not flat panels that bolt in between visible tube work).
Must resemble a known 1:1 body.
Must be hand formed and fabricated from metal or other rigid material.
Full body -4, Cab -2 (in addition to hard body points)

Old 03-02-2014, 10:19 PM   #233
R2j
SORRCA Committee Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absurd View Post
If I took the time to make a full fiber glass body how would it fit into the current rules and how many points would it be worth? a idea would be it will be a hard body but lighter then heavy plastic and it would be 100% costume made due to needing to make a mold and setting it then all the details, Sorry ahead of time if this has already been answered my net is kinda slow and makes searching harder now.

You would get hard body points plus the custom body points, so -12 for a full body. And if you did a drop bed too, you would get those point as well.
Old 03-02-2014, 10:52 PM   #234
Quarry Creeper

Awesome thanks
Old 03-03-2014, 11:23 PM   #235

Hello all I got my tickets right at nine happy as hell. This will be my first one of this type of event. When I ordered tickets I chose to not judge but would be interested in doing so or at least assist . I have a question on the class 1 vehicles, I read them and I am having a problem understanding if a honcho body setup is ok to use or do I have to get something else? Thanks and see you all there
boogz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 10:38 AM   #236
Rock Crawler

My honcho needs a lot of work for the upcoming event in STL. I need to waterproof it, hide all the wires leading to the receiver box, get a winch, somehow get some new LEDs and replace the body with a proline ford truck body. It's going to need tons of work and I only have a month to do all this! Any suggestions on upgrades?
axial 4x4 crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 03:39 PM   #237
Rock Stacker

If i register for class 1 and class 2 can i use the same truck for both classes if i make changes to it that meat each classes rules and regulations
minicooperzoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 08:52 PM   #238
I wanna be Dave

I just attended my first 2 scale comps and I'm very confused on how all the scale points work in the favor of the driver.
On the first comp, night run, I obtained 34 scale points. I'm courious how these points help me or hurt me.

On the second comp, day run, I obtained 40 scale points.
So which is it?????
It seemed that the day run I had to cut my total points in half before the start. Now I only have 20 scale points before I even got started.

Could some one please CLEARLY post the benefits and draw backs to scale points and how it affects the drivers time, points and standing in a comp. Thank you in advance.

I have to say I had a hellova good time at both locations, I'm just tring to completely understand the format.

Last edited by stelerzman; 03-04-2014 at 09:04 PM.
stelerzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 08:35 AM   #239
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by stelerzman View Post
I just attended my first 2 scale comps and I'm very confused on how all the scale points work in the favor of the driver.
On the first comp, night run, I obtained 34 scale points. I'm courious how these points help me or hurt me.

On the second comp, day run, I obtained 40 scale points.
So which is it?????
It seemed that the day run I had to cut my total points in half before the start. Now I only have 20 scale points before I even got started.

Could some one please CLEARLY post the benefits and draw backs to scale points and how it affects the drivers time, points and standing in a comp. Thank you in advance.

I have to say I had a hellova good time at both locations, I'm just tring to completely understand the format.
Wow, where to start. So typically on a 10 gate course, half your scale points would apply per course. Your scale points should be the same no matter when or where the tech is done. If it's different then someone's not doing it right. Basically this is how scale points work:

Scale points are given mainly for things that are detrimental to your performance, things like hard bodies, chassis mounted servos, interiors, metal bumpers. They help a custom (read: heavier, lower performance) truck keep up with a lightweight lexan bodied rig. Typically scale points don't effect someone's time, just the final score. Here's an example:

Truck 1: stock SCX10 with suspension and drivetrain upgrades. -10 scale points

Truck 2: full custom hardbody truck with -50 scale points.

Truck 1 will probably perform way better and get a better driving score (let's say a score of - but because it only gets -5 scale points for a course (half of it's -10 scale points) his final score will be -13 for one course.

Truck 2 gets a roll over, gate and a couple winch penalties for a score of +12 for the course. But because of his higher scale points (-50) he gets to apply half of them for the course which is -25. If you subtract -25 from the +12 you get -13. So even though truck 1 has a performance advantage over truck 2 they end up with the same score in the end. In this case the scale points help balance out the trucks.

The reason 1/2 the scale points are given per course is because some clubs run 1,2 or even 3 or 4 courses per class. This ensures that scale points are distributed evenly no matter how many courses are run.

Hope this helps out and doesn't confuse you more.
War Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 08:41 AM   #240
I wanna be Dave

Great explination Tim, I was going to try and answer but couldnt quite type it out logically.
hotwheels000 is offline   Reply With Quote

2014 scale rules discussion or question thead - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2013 scale rules discussion or question thead War Pig Scale Comp Rules 808 08-15-2014 09:29 PM
2014 Crawling GTG's and (NON-2014 MIRCA) Event Discussion 95geo Michigan 5 02-23-2014 05:06 PM
2014 SORRCA Scale rules doublej Scale Comp Rules 3 01-03-2014 01:09 PM