Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Competitions and Events > Scale Comp Rules

Notices

Thread: 2014 scale rules discussion or question thead

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2014, 03:51 AM   #261
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: 2014 scale rules discussion or question thead

I've been wondering why you don't get scale points for making a true to scale suspension for your truck.

For an example most new pick-ups and suvs have IFS. If you were to copy this to your scaler your crawlability would suffer but you wouldn't get any reward. Not everybody does a SAS.

Another thing is that if you build your truck to have separate springs and shocks you wont get any reward. Most real trucks are build this way. Coilovers are mostly found on highly modified racing vehicles. Be it rock or other racing.

At least for class 1 you should get some reward for making your rig as true to scale as possible.

I'm not asking for 10 points or anything like that. Just a few points for recognising the true to scale effort would be enough.
Scrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-2014, 08:23 AM   #262
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrap View Post
I've been wondering why you don't get scale points for making a true to scale suspension for your truck.

For an example most new pick-ups and suvs have IFS. If you were to copy this to your scaler your crawlability would suffer but you wouldn't get any reward. Not everybody does a SAS.

Another thing is that if you build your truck to have separate springs and shocks you wont get any reward. Most real trucks are build this way. Coilovers are mostly found on highly modified racing vehicles. Be it rock or other racing.

At least for class 1 you should get some reward for making your rig as true to scale as possible.

I'm not asking for 10 points or anything like that. Just a few points for recognising the true to scale effort would be enough.
We actually considered this (and I believe it was in the rules at one time) but found it too difficult to police. With a reward for IFS, you would have to give points for Slash, Axial Exo, Twin Hammer etc front suspensions, and we're just not sure that those are performance limiting items. In a perfect world, everyone would get points for things they should but it's just not possible. Thanks for the input.
War Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 05:55 AM   #263
Quarry Creeper

Here I am with questions again.

Honcho in class 1. I seem to recall that the honcho rear cage even with dinkyrc fenders is not legal for class 1. But if you take a lexan body and cut the bed from that and put it on the honcho rear cage it suddenly is legal for class 1. Or is it?

What about if you take a hilux or mojave bed and mod it a bit to bolt on the honcho rear cage?

It seems I'm the scale rules representative from Finland so I'm going to have lots of tricky questions for you. Because our competitors are actively trying to find loop holes in any rules.
Old 03-12-2014, 06:38 AM   #264
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Pig View Post
We actually considered this (and I believe it was in the rules at one time) but found it too difficult to police. With a reward for IFS, you would have to give points for Slash, Axial Exo, Twin Hammer etc front suspensions, and we're just not sure that those are performance limiting items. In a perfect world, everyone would get points for things they should but it's just not possible. Thanks for the input.
But...
As we all know a 4-link and straight front axle is much better i crawling than anything else.
U can build a good leaf spring rig or one with separate springs... But u can't beat a 4-link, even if a 4-link hadn't even a good setup.
So it's not worth to build a scale proof suspension if u want to compete.
Sooner or later everybody who's not a true scale fan would use Axials style stock 3 or 4 link suspension.
Is that what we want in the future ??

For example.
I have this rig what is one of Northern Europes best performing class2 rig. (Nordics nr1 -13)

If I take this frame and put my Hilux body from this rig....

... on it...
I would have with minor mods a very good performing class 2 rig in class 1.
I don't think it's fair to compete with that against all True scale rigs.

What do YOU think ??
Is that what we wan't from scale comps??

Last edited by kenne; 03-12-2014 at 09:25 AM.
kenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 11:39 AM   #265
R2j
SORRCA Committee Member

Linked suspension has been the norm for a long time now, so I don't think builders are going to just use it just for the sake of competing. I for one am building a front IFS Class1 H2 for SWSC this year. I know it may not perform as well as a full linked rig, but that's what I expected. I'm not worried about winning, I'm just out to build what I want and have a blast doing it.

Last edited by R2j; 03-12-2014 at 11:41 AM.
R2j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 12:38 PM   #266
I wanna be Dave

There are always going to be those who build a rig simply to compete and then there are those who build what they want down to the finest scale detail and then compete, this is where scale points come into play. A builder is rewarded for the scale aspect of a rig like leaf springs and T-cases because the rig "not" the driver is at a disadvantage to a truck running four link suspension and a transmission. The same can be said for a rig with a lexan body and one with a hard body.
bmuzz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 01:36 PM   #267
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmuzz1 View Post
There are always going to be those who build a rig simply to compete and then there are those who build what they want down to the finest scale detail and then compete, this is where scale points come into play. A builder is rewarded for the scale aspect of a rig like leaf springs and T-cases because the rig "not" the driver is at a disadvantage to a truck running four link suspension and a transmission. The same can be said for a rig with a lexan body and one with a hard body.
This is what I think too and think scalepoints would be fine.
So you still could compete for class 1 victory with a, for example, leaf spring truescale rig against a full linked competitor.
In class 2 for example it's not so big thing cause those rigs are more build for performance anyway.
Old 03-14-2014, 04:41 PM   #268

Name:  20140312_005252.jpg
Views: 498
Size:  64.3 KB will this body work for class 1width for the east coast scale challenge?
boogz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 09:35 PM   #269
Rock Crawler

Does it cover at least 1/2 the tire if so your good, if not your not. It's hard to tell by the pic. But it looks close, and if those tires are ripsaws there a class 2 tire, you need to check it with the tires your planing on running.
boob dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 02:27 AM   #270
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by boob dude View Post
Does it cover at least 1/2 the tire if so your good, if not your not. It's hard to tell by the pic. But it looks close, and if those tires are ripsaws there a class 2 tire, you need to check it with the tires your planing on running.
What he said ^ side note if they still look close and you dot want to risk it take some thin plasticard and add to your fenders and wrap in black electrical tape making it a attached fender and gain a little size and easy replacement with no body damage. :p
Absurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 03:31 AM   #271
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absurd View Post
What he said ^ side note if they still look close and you dot want to risk it take some thin plasticard and add to your fenders and wrap in black electrical tape making it a attached fender and gain a little size and easy replacement with no body damage. :p
Sorry OT:
Or a piece of an old windshield wiper rubber.

Last edited by kenne; 03-15-2014 at 03:34 AM.
Old 03-15-2014, 07:13 AM   #272
Rock Crawler

Hey guys, in reading some of the comments I just wanted to make sure I'm clear on 2 things, lexan bodies and axial axles.

I read these are outlawed (including axles with axial internals).

By outlawed do you mean you can't use them, or do you mean you don't get any scale points for them?

Point being we don't have any sorrca sanctioned events in mn but we would like to consider it for the future. Most people who come out have an scx10 jeep, honcho, or dingo. The tires by default make these class 2 I know. My question is can someone bring a stock scx10 to a sorrca event (assuming there were no minimum scale point requirements) and legally run even thought they know they don't have a chance to win on points?

Thanks
Dna
dna4engr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 08:15 AM   #273
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dna4engr View Post
What? Where? Link please.

I highly doubt that this is the case. You don't get scale points for axles anyway. I read somewhere that some one proposed points for metal axles but that got rejected. I think.
Old 03-15-2014, 09:00 AM   #274
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by dna4engr View Post
Hey guys, in reading some of the comments I just wanted to make sure I'm clear on 2 things, lexan bodies and axial axles.

By outlawed do you mean you can't use them, or do you mean you don't get any scale points for them?

Point being we don't have any sorrca sanctioned events in mn but we would like to consider it for the future. Most people who come out have an scx10 jeep, honcho, or dingo. The tires by default make these class 2 I know. My question is can someone bring a stock scx10 to a sorrca event (assuming there were no minimum scale point requirements) and legally run even thought they know they don't have a chance to win on points?

Thanks
Dna
HUH?!? There is nothing ANYWHERE that says Axial axles are illegal. The only axles that are illegal in SORRCA competition are MOA axles....your vehicle must have drivelines.

You can bring any legal vehicle to a SORRCA event and compete (even if it has 3 scale points). The point is to drive it the best you can, modify it and add scale points as time goes by, continue to compete, and eventually you will have a high scale point truck that you know well and can compete at a high level with. The most important thing is to have fun, make friends and learn how to build, modify and maintain a scale vehicle.
Old 03-15-2014, 01:53 PM   #275
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Pig View Post
HUH?!? There is nothing ANYWHERE that says Axial axles are illegal. The only axles that are illegal in SORRCA competition are MOA axles....your vehicle must have drivelines.

You can bring any legal vehicle to a SORRCA event and compete (even if it has 3 scale points). The point is to drive it the best you can, modify it and add scale points as time goes by, continue to compete, and eventually you will have a high scale point truck that you know well and can compete at a high level with. The most important thing is to have fun, make friends and learn how to build, modify and maintain a scale vehicle.
What I read was someone posting about how we're going to be upset when sorrca outlaws axial axles and internal parts. It must have been an inside joke amongst the more veteran rcc guys that wasn't apparent to the rest of us. I was surprised by the comment so I read over the rules several times and couldn't find any validity so I assumed it was sarcasm. Just to be sure I had to ask.

Thanks,
Dna
Old 03-15-2014, 03:50 PM   #276
Quarry Creeper

I always wondered the metal vs plastic for scale but I have seen post like what you are referring as long as its not moa all axles are currently allowed.
Absurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 02:20 PM   #277
Rock Crawler

Here is what I was talking about. Posts 3-6 and 10. I thought it was all sarcasm and inside jokes until I read post 10 which made me think I'd better ask.

2014 rules

Dna
Old 03-16-2014, 04:10 PM   #278
I wanna be Dave

Those guys are trouble makers

if the rules committee is still keeping a to do list please put banning those guys on it
hotwheels000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 11:47 AM   #279
Quarry Creeper

When does a scale chassis made of two vertical plates connected together with crossmembers become an illegal TVP chassis?

This is a scale chassis?

Is this a scale chassis or TVP chassis?

This is a TVP?

Where do you draw the line?

I know thee rule is there to exclude comp chassis to enter scale events but it is a very grey are when one becomes the other.

Hope the hotlinking works.
Old 03-17-2014, 12:24 PM   #280
I wanna be Dave

First one is obviously a scale chassis. Second picture is a bodiless pro comp chassis, so no. Last one obviously isn't legal. There is gray area for sure, but deep down you know what a scale chassis is and so does everyone else.

2014 scale rules discussion or question thead - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2013 scale rules discussion or question thead War Pig Scale Comp Rules 808 08-15-2014 09:29 PM
2014 Crawling GTG's and (NON-2014 MIRCA) Event Discussion 95geo Michigan 5 02-23-2014 05:06 PM
2014 SORRCA Scale rules doublej Scale Comp Rules 3 01-03-2014 01:09 PM