Notices

Thread: 2014 scale rules discussion or question thead

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2014, 11:28 AM   #21
Rock Crawler

Default Re: 2014 scale rules discussion or question thead

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublej View Post
•You must run a rail chassis (for example: Bruiser/Mountaineer, SCX-10, Reign RC K2-3S, 3L, 4, 5, MFM, X-Trail, CR-01, UTE, etc...). No TVP (twin vertical plate) chassis' or frame rail extensions on a TVPs. Tub chassis' are allowed, but chassis must be covered by the body and follow all other scale rules per class guidelines. An example of a tub chassis vehicle is CC-01, DF01, Twin Hammers, etc.
I have something to point out for clarity. You could add something like *full tube chassis allowed in C3*
spookyseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-2014, 11:50 AM   #22
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacecase View Post
i had a question i've been wondering about and since i'm about to start a C3 build, now's the time to ask..

i'm planning a tuber build with body panels from a hacked up hilux. my question is, if i drop the tubework into a bed formation in between the rear bed panels, would i get drop bed points? also would it need some type of floor decking?
A drop bed is intended to give people points for extending a pickup bed down to the bottom of the tailgate. It sounds like what your doing is more of a cargo area. I'd have to see a picture of what your doing to answer this correctly. I say build it to look cool and hold the things you need it to hold, and see how the points work out in the end
War Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 12:39 PM   #23
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Pig View Post
A drop bed is intended to give people points for extending a pickup bed down to the bottom of the tailgate. It sounds like what your doing is more of a cargo area. I'd have to see a picture of what your doing to answer this correctly.
the plan is to attempt to build a bed box with tubing, down to the level of the tailgate, and deck it either with a simple tube design or the leftovers from the hilux bed. then obviously panels on the outside

Quote:
I say build it to look cool and hold the things you need it to hold, and see how the points work out in the end
thats how i normally build, trying to plan ahead for a change and think about points before i get started.
spacecase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 02:53 PM   #24
I wanna be Dave

Planning ahead??? That's crazy talk!
Old 01-09-2014, 05:49 PM   #25
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
A drop bed is intended to give people points for extending a pickup bed down to the bottom of the tailgate. It sounds like what your doing is more of a cargo area. I'd have to see a picture of what your doing to answer this correctly. I say build it to look cool and hold the things you need it to hold, and see how the points work out in the end
What kind of point are given for custom cargo area?
sally1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 05:52 PM   #26
I wanna be Dave

How about you use your little sausage fingers and find out yourself
Old 01-09-2014, 05:55 PM   #27
Pebble Pounder

-1 for cargo area, but the way the rules read it should be enclosed inside the vehicle in some form.

-3 for the drop bed. Personally i dont see the problem with what i want to do but i want to clarify, otherwise the build is going in a dif direction.
Old 01-09-2014, 06:32 PM   #28
I wanna be Dave

Is this what you're talking about doing?

Old 01-09-2014, 07:23 PM   #29
Pebble Pounder

somewhat, i was going to try to take advantage of the whole space between the outer panels though. rather than build a box in the bed area, if that makes sense.

basically, if you were to picture a mojave bed thats been dovetailed, remove the inner side panels, and picture tubing where the outer fender panels are attached instead.

clear as mud?!

i could make something similar to that work for me if it would qualify

Last edited by spacecase; 01-09-2014 at 07:30 PM.
Old 01-09-2014, 08:03 PM   #30
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
-1 for cargo area, but the way the rules read it should be enclosed inside the vehicle in some form.

-3 for the drop bed. Personally i dont see the problem with what i want to do but i want to clarify, otherwise the build is going in a dif direction.

This is what I see in the rules and it seems clear a tuber cannot receive those points,

"Bed: Not available to tubers."

Body:

• Drop bed : -3

Drop bed is listed under the body section, what you are describing is panels which is not a body. One top of that even if you thru a body on the tuber....refer to the first quote gleaned from the rules.

I am not a committee member but do have a fairly good grasp of the rules and how to apply them. Maybe Tim or one of the other folks could confirm or deny ?

Now throw some frame rails under it and it is no longer a tuber

Last edited by hotwheels000; 01-09-2014 at 08:05 PM.
hotwheels000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 08:20 PM   #31
Pebble Pounder

this "Bed: Not available to tubers.", i believe is just referring to the sub categories below it rather than the stating a bed isn't available to a tuber.

if i put frame rails under it and didn't classify it as a tuber, where would it fall? i'm at a loss..
Old 01-09-2014, 09:28 PM   #32
Pebble Pounder

here is a good example of what i want to do.

something similar to this 1:1 rig with hilux bedsides bolted to the outside and obviously a floor.
Attached Images

Old 01-09-2014, 10:59 PM   #33
I wanna be Dave

Those just look like inner fender wells to me -1
Old 01-09-2014, 11:25 PM   #34
R2j
SORRCA Committee Member

Drop bed to me is just that, a complete bed with floor, back and both sides connected to the outer fenders.

Name:  drop1.jpg
Views: 711
Size:  67.4 KB

Thought some more and remembered the drop box Dinky makes for the Wraith, which would be more of a cargo area rather than drop bed because of the tube structure that supports it. This is more of what yours would be like.

Name:  wdbv1_mounted.gif
Views: 788
Size:  130.4 KB

Last edited by R2j; 01-09-2014 at 11:31 PM.
R2j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 11:40 PM   #35
I wanna be Dave

Not trying to over complicate the original question.. But, what if the drop bed was missing the tailgate?

Had thought about doing it, just never questioned the points till now...
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 12:53 AM   #36
Rock Crawler

Hate to ask guys BUT is there any shot of some points in between a hard body and a custom hard body? I.E. If you take the time to make your truck a crew cab or something should you get points for that? Or would that just open up a can of worms in determining what's been modified enough to get some points....
sgtbham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 07:55 AM   #37
R2j
SORRCA Committee Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meatwad View Post
Not trying to over complicate the original question.. But, what if the drop bed was missing the tailgate?

Had thought about doing it, just never questioned the points till now...
It would still be considered a drop bed. That's why I left out the tailgate in my description of a drop bed.
R2j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 07:57 AM   #38
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Those just look like inner fender wells to me -1
Right, thats the point of the design. If i build that setup with bed sides and complete the inner box it should be drop bed plus inner fenders.

The whole concept of scale points is to award performance hindering components correct? Then something like this that both adds extra weight and wastes space should be awarded. IMO
Old 01-10-2014, 08:10 AM   #39
Pebble Pounder

it would be a complete bed, just on a tuber.. and much larger than the dinky bed.
Old 01-10-2014, 08:18 AM   #40
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtbham View Post
Hate to ask guys BUT is there any shot of some points in between a hard body and a custom hard body? I.E. If you take the time to make your truck a crew cab or something should you get points for that? Or would that just open up a can of worms in determining what's been modified enough to get some points....
It was discussed and found to just be too complicated. That why I always say "sometimes it's just best to build something you like and is cool, let the scale points work themselves out ". If you build a really scale rig, it's going to be very close to pointed out without much effort.

Quote:
Right, thats the point of the design. If i build that setup with bed sides and complete the inner box it should be drop bed plus inner fenders.

The whole concept of scale points is to award performance hindering components correct? Then something like this that both adds extra weight and wastes space should be awarded. IMO
It is but it sounds like you are just looking for extra free points. You can't get fender well points and drop bed points from the same piece of plastic. A storage area like that doesn't really waste space it hides electronics, gives you a place for scale items, etc.

2014 scale rules discussion or question thead - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2013 scale rules discussion or question thead War Pig Scale Comp Rules 808 08-15-2014 09:29 PM
2014 Crawling GTG's and (NON-2014 MIRCA) Event Discussion 95geo Michigan 5 02-23-2014 05:06 PM
2014 SORRCA Scale rules doublej Scale Comp Rules 3 01-03-2014 01:09 PM