Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Competitions and Events > Scale Comp Rules

Notices

Thread: 2015 scale rules discussion or question thead

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2015, 09:48 AM   #61
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: 2015 scale rules discussion or question thead

You are taking the term "chassis" to literally. It is used to describe the fact that the battery cannot be axle mounted. In a bed, box, sitting on the tranny etc, are all acceptable since those components are all chassis mounted and not on the axle.

Thinking about it, that terminology could be eliminated since it already states in the rules that only the steering servo can be mounted on the axle.
hotwheels000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-2015, 09:49 AM   #62
R2j
SORRCA Committee Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawl33oh View Post
So when I strap a battery to my hood an cover it with a cardboard hood scoop its chassis mounted because its covered by an accessory. I'm not complaining, I'm trying to see the SORCCA logic behind it being illegal, yet hiding a battery in the bed of a truck magically makes it legal and chassis mounted, please explain to me how that makes any sense at all. I'm just using your logic, battery hidden by a crate, magic legal. Battery hinged to frame via axle, illegal and I get my pp smacked for it.

Sent using magic
You are really making a mountain out of a mole hill here. Hiding a small lipo in a tool box that is mounted to a bed or tube work is chassis mounted. If you wanted mount your battery to your hood and cover it with cardboard, what ever floats your boat, as long as it is not visible or mounted to the axle it is fine.

Like WP said, why expend so much energy on such a trivial thing. Easy fix easy pass.
R2j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 10:10 AM   #63
Pebble Pounder

It is an easy fix, but like I said. I'm trying to see the logic behind it being illegal, when technically it is chassis mounted. Do you even own or have you seen an Ascender setup? I see it as no different from adding weights to the front end, which appears to be why the Ascender has a "weight advantage"

Sent using magic
crawl33oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 11:36 AM   #64
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
It is an easy fix, but like I said. I'm trying to see the logic behind it being illegal, when technically it is chassis mounted. Do you even own or have you seen an Ascender setup? I see it as no different from adding weights to the front end, which appears to be why the Ascender has a "weight advantage"

Sent using magic
So what you want us to do is spend a bunch of our precious time making you feel better about something that doesn't matter?
War Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 12:28 PM   #65
Pebble Pounder

No I don't I just want a valid explanation as to why axle and drum wheel weights are legal but the clearly chassis mounted battery tray isn't. I also don't understand why you're so upset over a valid point, its like you can't directly address my point here

Sent using magic
Old 01-19-2015, 12:44 PM   #66
RCC Addict

I think both sides are making a mountain from a mole hill here. Bottom line is the ascender battery is chassis mounted. And does not have an advantage.

Anyone that can drive knows where to place a battery. And they know the ascender has no advantage.

By making the ascender battery placement illegal you are just further taxing a newcomer who doesn't even know where to put a battery.
holycaveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 12:51 PM   #67
Pebble Pounder

Sent using magic
Old 01-19-2015, 12:55 PM   #68
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by holycaveman View Post
I think both sides are making a mountain from a mole hill here. Bottom line is the ascender battery is chassis mounted. And does not have an advantage.

Anyone that can drive knows where to place a battery. And they know the ascender has no advantage.

By making the ascender battery placement illegal you are just further taxing a newcomer who doesn't even know where to put a battery.
That battery rule was in place before the Ascender came out. I suppose we could amend the rules every time a new rig comes out that doesn't follow our current ruleset, but then what's the point of having rules to begin with? It's a simple fix, not like we're asking people to throw the chassis away and build a new one.....
Old 01-19-2015, 12:56 PM   #69
R2j
SORRCA Committee Member

Quote:

Sent using magic
Quote:
No I don't I just want a valid explanation as to why axle and drum wheel weights are legal but the clearly chassis mounted battery tray isn't. I also don't understand why you're so upset over a valid point, its like you can't directly address my point here

Sent using magic
WP gave you the explanation, "It's not so much that the Ascender battery mount makes it an awesome performer, it's just that others will exploit that rule if they can use it to make their rigs perform better." That is why it is not legal, not to mention, the rule was determined way before Vaterra came out with the Ascender.

If your talking about the bolt on ring style comp knuckle weights, those are not legal.
Old 01-19-2015, 01:13 PM   #70
Pebble Pounder

There are legal wheel weights that resemble wheel weights that are legal

Sent using magic
Old 01-19-2015, 01:15 PM   #71
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
There are legal wheel weights that resemble wheel weights that are legal
Huh!?!
Old 01-19-2015, 01:25 PM   #72
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Pig View Post
That battery rule was in place before the Ascender came out. I suppose we could amend the rules every time a new rig comes out that doesn't follow our current ruleset, but then what's the point of having rules to begin with? It's a simple fix, not like we're asking people to throw the chassis away and build a new one.....

Maybe you were not around when these rules came into being? I don't know. But they were to keep the comp crawler packs off the front axle. As in litterally.

This is not "axle" mounted, in that regards. It's clearly chassis mounted.

I agree it's a simple fix. But it's also one more thing someone has to be concerned about in the long overbearing list of rules as it is.

We need good guidlines and basic structural rules to follow. But that is it.

No offense to anyone. I don't have any skin in this particular issue. But i do enjoy scale and like for everyone to have an awesome time at it.
Old 01-19-2015, 01:25 PM   #73
Pebble Pounder

Default 2015 scale rules discussion or question thead

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/new-p...l-weights.html

Brake drums, my bad

Sent using magic
Old 01-19-2015, 01:27 PM   #74
R2j
SORRCA Committee Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by holycaveman View Post

Advantage or not, it still has a major support on the axle that if removed would just let the battery flop. So axle mounted.

There again, maybe, maybe not.

How so? Will a newcomer jump head first into a national event that will cost them $25+ to enter? I wouldn't think so. But at the local level, where we all started, it will be up to them to allow or not. And with the clubs that use SORRCA rules, they would never be turned away.

The rule set is geared towards making an even playing field for all, local to national to world.
Old 01-19-2015, 01:28 PM   #75
RCC Addict

Again guys I am not trying to argue at all. Just throwing my 02 in. All the best!
Old 01-19-2015, 01:30 PM   #76
R2j
SORRCA Committee Member

Quote:
http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/new-p...l-weights.html

Brake drums, my bad

Sent using magic
Why would those be illegal? More scale example of anything else out there.
Old 01-19-2015, 01:31 PM   #77
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2j View Post
How so? Will a newcomer jump head first into a national event that will cost them $25+ to enter? I wouldn't think so. But at the local level, where we all started, it will be up to them to allow or not. And with the clubs that use SORRCA rules, they would never be turned away.

The rule set is geared towards making an even playing field for all, local to national to world.

I think it's straining at a gnat. But it's not a large deal by any means. I think sometimes we can over think things when they are of little significance.
Old 01-19-2015, 01:35 PM   #78
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2j View Post
Why would those be illegal? More scale example of anything else out there.
the way I'm seeing it is the battery on the "axle" adds weight down low giving an advantage and acting like a weight. Those legal wheel weights are no different, other than they obviously aren't batteries. Its weight up front at the axle, so what is the issue?

Sent using magic
Old 01-19-2015, 01:43 PM   #79
R2j
SORRCA Committee Member

Quote:
the way I'm seeing it is the battery on the "axle" adds weight down low giving an advantage and acting like a weight. Those legal wheel weights are no different, other than they obviously aren't batteries. Its weight up front at the axle, so what is the issue?

Sent using magic
No issue, axle mounted battery illegal, TSS wheel weights not. See

Maybe this is all in the same realm as the word should or technically or must. It's all how it's interpreted, our only goal is to have a level playing field and have fun playing with toy trucks.
Old 01-19-2015, 01:47 PM   #80
Pebble Pounder

I still don't see how one is legal and one isn't, other than he said she said. Its the same concept, weight at the axle, except one is actually on the axle and one isn't. How does that make it a level playing field?

Sent using magic

2015 scale rules discussion or question thead - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2014 scale rules discussion or question thead doublej Scale Comp Rules 682 03-26-2015 07:33 AM
2015 Scale Rules doublej Scale Comp Rules 3 01-12-2015 12:56 PM
2013 scale rules discussion or question thead War Pig Scale Comp Rules 808 08-15-2014 09:29 PM