Thread: 2015 scale rules discussion or question thead

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2015, 10:00 AM   #261
R2j
SORRCA Committee Member

Default Re: 2015 scale rules discussion or question thead

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh6575 View Post
If I build knuckles that are heavy. Can I run them?
Yes, as long as they still resemble something that would look scale or like a 1:1. I personally would love to see "C" and knuckles made in a denser material, at least it would give you an option to add weight low without deterring for scale looks.

Tim beat me to it!

Last edited by R2j; 02-01-2015 at 10:06 AM.
R2j is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-2015, 11:32 AM   #262

hey guys i was just wondering since my 1.9 rig is not C2 legal can i run it in C3.

Thanks
William
wtpeeling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 01:53 PM   #263
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Pig View Post
If they look scale then yes.

Listen, we aren't trying to be scale Nazi's here. There just has to be a set of guidelines to keep things looking scale. If you build the truck right and learn to drive it, you don't need a bunch of extra weight down there. The top scale drivers in the nation don't add a bunch of weight to their rigs to make them perform better.
If I make my own that look scale and only Dlux Comp Knuckle Weights are OK. Copy. Over and Out.
josh6575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 01:59 PM   #264
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by holycaveman View Post
I am not a sorcca member, but I wouldnt see why not.

Just like the drum weights. Have at it! The more scale the better!
Spinning weight does not have the same effect. I will never put brass drums on my truck. I have a feeling it won't stop. Might as well make sand impregnated bushings and replace all my bearings.
Old 02-01-2015, 02:25 PM   #265
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtpeeling View Post
hey guys i was just wondering since my 1.9 rig is not C2 legal can i run it in C3.

Thanks
William
Yes, that rig is Class 3 legal and would probably do pretty well on Class 3 courses. Try it!
War Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 02:27 PM   #266
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Spinning weight does not have the same effect. I will never put brass drums on my truck. I have a feeling it won't stop. Might as well make sand impregnated bushings and replace all my bearings.
People have been running wheel/tire weights for 10 years, in fact...I have wheel weights on my Class 2 and 3 rigs right now.
Old 02-01-2015, 02:29 PM   #267

Thanks Tim i might see you at the Rocky Mountain Scale Nationals i will probably be there and ill buy a class 3 ticket.
wtpeeling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 02:29 PM   #268
RCC Addict

Except for those getting away with running knuckle weights.
Old 02-01-2015, 04:38 PM   #269
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtpeeling View Post
Thanks Tim i might see you at the Rocky Mountain Scale Nationals i will probably be there and ill buy a class 3 ticket.
Cool, Boob Dude ran a Class 2 rig in Class 3 last year in Utah and ended up in the finals!

Quote:
Except for those getting away with running knuckle weights.
Huh? Not sure what this is in response to....
Old 02-03-2015, 09:45 AM   #270
RcBros Hobbies

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2j View Post
The whole premise was to not allow the non scale bolt on rings.
I thought the whole premise of a scaler was to have the ability to make things look scale? You can easily paint the holder and weights to be just as camoflagued as the guys painting the non scale looking brass black to hide it.

Over the years I've seen hundreds of trucks that don't look scale, or have accessories that don't fit the bill. When is enough enough? Thats like saying exhaust tips aren't scale because we are running electric motors or you now have to run air in your tires because the 1:1's don't run foam.

The sake of your vendors should also come into play considering you took the products of several vendors and basically made there parts obsolete. Not by changing times or revolutionary products, but by banning them from the rules based on a 50/50 split of opinions.

The word scale is so agumentive these days its almost a sin to speak of it. 4 years ago when scale really started blowing up the comp scene began seeing the decrease. I have a feeling U4 is the new scale and scale is the new comp with the direcition i'm seeing it go.
RcBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 12:05 PM   #271
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by RcBro View Post
I thought the whole premise of a scaler was to have the ability to make things look scale? You can easily paint the holder and weights to be just as camoflagued as the guys painting the non scale looking brass black to hide it.

Over the years I've seen hundreds of trucks that don't look scale, or have accessories that don't fit the bill. When is enough enough? Thats like saying exhaust tips aren't scale because we are running electric motors or you now have to run air in your tires because the 1:1's don't run foam.

The sake of your vendors should also come into play considering you took the products of several vendors and basically made there parts obsolete. Not by changing times or revolutionary products, but by banning them from the rules based on a 50/50 split of opinions.

The word scale is so agumentive these days its almost a sin to speak of it. 4 years ago when scale really started blowing up the comp scene began seeing the decrease. I have a feeling U4 is the new scale and scale is the new comp with the direcition i'm seeing it go.

'I was curious too when I posted earlier in this thread about knuck weights what impact a decision like this would have on vendors.. I respect the rules YOU COMMITEE GUYS WORK YOUR BUTTS OFF..and I have always had a lot of fun with-in the SORRCA world but this has gotta hurt our vendors a bit....?
distinctive pd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 12:59 PM   #272
R2j
SORRCA Committee Member

Quote:

Sorry Will, but we debated this topic in depth and also watched what was going on in U4, in which they do not allow the comp style clamp on rings either.

I know it looks that we are pushing out a vendor product, but there has to be a line drawl somewhere between comp and scale. Same reason for not allowing comp tires.
R2j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 01:19 PM   #273
RcBros Hobbies

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2j View Post
Sorry Will, but we debated this topic in depth and also watched what was going on in U4, in which they do not allow the comp style clamp on rings either.

I know it looks that we are pushing out a vendor product, but there has to be a line drawl somewhere between comp and scale. Same reason for not allowing comp tires.
Comparing a go fast product to a slow moving crawler is like apples and oranges IMO. I haven't seen Dig, 4 wheel steering, coolers, shovels or a ken doll in the driver seat of a U4 rig yet..

I understand the rule, but I don't think its a make or break it either. If appearance is a concern and one has the ability to change the appearance it's an opinion at that point. This horse is dead and the rule is set.

My statement was for a concern of the direction the rules are heading versus the benefit of said rule. Those who know me know I'm competitive as hell, there will always be drivers like myself that will want to compete and abide by thy rules. However, I can tell you first hand when your numbers start to look like the comp scene and your get togethers and G6 events are 3-4 times larger (Wait... thats already happening) were all gunna wonder what happened to the good old days when we had someone to compete with.

The only benefit to me at that point is we will be forced to combined shaft/moa rigs with comp scale rigs on comp days due to numbers and I can finally do both on the same day without having to choose

Last edited by RcBro; 02-03-2015 at 01:22 PM.
Old 02-04-2015, 09:40 AM   #274
RCC Addict

Worth a repeat.

Quote:
My statement was for a concern of the direction the rules are heading versus the benefit of said rule. Those who know me know I'm competitive as hell, there will always be drivers like myself that will want to compete and abide by thy rules. However, I can tell you first hand when your numbers start to look like the comp scene and your get togethers and G6 events are 3-4 times larger (Wait... thats already happening) were all gunna wonder what happened to the good old days when we had someone to compete with.
holycaveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 09:44 AM   #275
Quarry Creeper

On the other hand. This ruling migh force vendors to make more scale looking knuckle weights. Real trucks have brake shields and calipers that don't rotate with the wheel.

A brake shield made of lead? Caliper and mount made of brass?

Wating for a steel scale axle.
Scrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 09:51 AM   #276
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrap View Post
On the other hand. This ruling migh force vendors to make more scale looking knuckle weights. Real trucks have brake shields and calipers that don't rotate with the wheel.

If vendors lose confidence in the rules they won't be making anything on the fear of it being outlawed the following year.

Everyone needs rules. A basic guidline. The problem is committees feel they need to update and do a better job every year. But what happens is good intentions over a course of time become so overbearing that the fun factor slowly dissapears. Just something to think about.

Last edited by holycaveman; 02-04-2015 at 09:53 AM.
Old 02-04-2015, 09:58 AM   #277
RcBros Hobbies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrap View Post

Due to the way the rules are written we cannot. The rules state it cannot be mounted to the knuckle. Thus the other option is to have a spinning weight. We can easily anodize our holders and cut realistic calipers, but it's not within the rules as I read it.

The brass burly tubes fix this issue and bring your weight low

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-04-2015, 12:58 PM   #278
I wanna be Dave

Thumbs down Re: 2015 scale rules discussion or question thead

Quote:
Originally Posted by holycaveman View Post
If vendors lose confidence in the rules they won't be making anything on the fear of it being outlawed the following year.

Everyone needs rules. A basic guidline. The problem is committees feel they need to update and do a better job every year. But what happens is good intentions over a course of time become so overbearing that the fun factor slowly dissapears. Just something to think about.
As a committee member I feel it's best to learn from past years and continually try to improve the most important thing in scale competitions and that is the look of the rigs. Without a basic set of rules, scale trucks become comp trucks. The great thing about scalers is the variety and endless possibilities you have. If you go to a large SORRCA scale event, the variety of rigs is mind boggling. No two trucks look alike, and for me that's half the fun. Seeing what someone dreamed up and watching it perform. People constantly push the rules and we all know typical brass knuckle weights really have no place on a scale truck. It would be great if we could say "anything goes, but it has to look scale", but we all know that's completely subjective and would never work. You builders and competitors are the ones that mold these rules, just remember that when you're building your next rig.

Quote:
Due to the way the rules are written we cannot. The rules state it cannot be mounted to the knuckle. Thus the other option is to have a spinning weight. We can easily anodize our holders and cut realistic calipers, but it's not within the rules as I read it.
If there was a scale looking knuckle weight option available, I would absolutely vote to amend the rules. I'm all for vendors coming up with new products, especially scale ones.
Old 02-04-2015, 01:19 PM   #279
RcBros Hobbies

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Pig View Post
If there was a scale looking knuckle weight option available, I would absolutely vote to amend the rules. I'm all for vendors coming up with new products, especially scale ones.
If we as vendors took this approach to the rules we wouldn't be in business. I have no problem abiding by the rules once they are set. The year and arguments it would take to get the rule ammended would be a feat in itself. Wether the money invested would be recouped at that point would be questionable but I'd give it a go this time around.

The rule as I read it from this thread 2015 Scale Rules states:

"No comp style knuckle weights of any kind"

Does this mean the builder can paint and modify the knuckle weight to be camoflauged or appear to be a caliper and rotor? We can very easily make a set of these to bolt on to the exterior of our weights.

Some silver and red paint and you have a scale looking part.

In the 8 years i've been in the hobby I've never poked at the rules, and this is not my intention, but after receiving several emails in regards to this subject I thought it was time to voice some opinion. I hope you understand this is nothing personal Tim.

The ideal weight scenario would be to run a set of brass burly tubes but to those whom' have similar knuckle devices this would be a quick fix.

The rule scale has to be somewhat relaxed, afterall we do run plastic housings. As a builder, I have began to realize how fun it is to build your rig around scale points and the rules meanwhile making it competitive. It certrainly is a daunting task.

Last edited by RcBro; 02-04-2015 at 01:22 PM.
Old 02-04-2015, 03:46 PM   #280
RCC Addict

Those look a lot more scale than the drums or dlux knuckles. I assumed everyone wants to be more scale?

Knuckle weights are a lot less of an eye sore than a servo mounted on the axle and not hidden?

Which brings up another question about cms in class 3 getting a -5. In 1:1 there is no such thing as cms in class 3 LOL. It should be like -2 for hiding a servo rather than -5 for something unrealistic like cms. But anyways.

I like realistic, not goofy.

2015 scale rules discussion or question thead - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2014 scale rules discussion or question thead doublej Scale Comp Rules 682 03-26-2015 07:33 AM
2015 Scale Rules doublej Scale Comp Rules 3 01-12-2015 12:56 PM
2013 scale rules discussion or question thead War Pig Scale Comp Rules 808 08-15-2014 09:29 PM