Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Competitions and Events > Scale Comp Rules

Notices

Thread: 2015 scale rules discussion or question thead

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2015, 06:40 AM   #601
Rock Stacker

Default Re: 2015 scale rules discussion or question thead

So the 3 speed transfer case is legal if set up with the 2wd going to the rear -check
And I run losi worm drive axles on my class 2 which are also legal - check
So I "technically" I don't have "dig" and I am just combining 2 legal parts to work together to my advantage.
Thumbs up! Thanks!
derrick.johnston is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-2015, 08:47 AM   #602
I wanna be Dave

Getting all those parts to work properly and learning to use them proficiently is the trick. Not sure about it being an advantage, just learning to drive is the advantage.
War Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 01:21 PM   #603
Quarry Creeper

Flatbed structure not exact width of cab, C1?

Ignoring C2 tires of course.
forty2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 04:21 PM   #604
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by forty2 View Post
Looks and sounds like your measuring the widest part of the cab - What is the width of the cab at the bottom of the doors. Most trucks taper in at the bottom.
IMHO you've met the intent, and playing the numbers game with a tape measure gets hard with some of these bodies.
doublej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 09:22 AM   #605
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublej View Post
Looks and sounds like your measuring the widest part of the cab
Which actually is the width of the cab.

- What is the width of the cab at the bottom of the doors.
Anything I want it to be on a lexan body. You can easily bend the body so far the rocker panels touch the SCX10 chassis.

Most trucks taper in at the bottom.
IMHO you've met the intent, and playing the numbers game with a tape measure gets hard with some of these bodies.
From the rules:
"The bed must be as wide as the cab the entire length of the bed."

The bed pictured above tapers at the rear. Is that legal in C1 now?

Furthermore from the rules:
"a truggy/tube bed that is narrower than the cab counts as a dovetail"

So basically you are saying that dovetailing is legal in C1?

You really need to start modifying the rules or just throw them away completely.

You guys are really trying to make my life hard with all these interpretations. I need to tech our National Scale Series so thank you very much.
Scrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 11:41 AM   #606
I wanna be Dave

You know what I'd do here? Call it close enough. It doesn't taper in the back, it has a curved rear bumper. It has tire coverage for Class 1, so why be a bunch of a-holes and not let him run it? The intent here is good and scale looking. What we don't want is a bed that tapers from 7" in front down to 3" at the rear tires. Thanks for looking! Tim
Old 04-09-2015, 05:25 PM   #607
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for the input, although it would seem the point is somewhat moot at the moment as the rims my C1 legal tires are mounted to have way too much offset for the bed. I put them on the truck this morning for the first time and knew right away it was no good. I don't feel like dealing with moving tires around right now so I'm going to run the truck in C2 this weekend (first outing!) and deal with having a more appropriate wheel and tire combination down the road. The truck is still very much a work in progress...
forty2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 07:17 PM   #608
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrap View Post
From the rules:
"The bed must be as wide as the cab the entire length of the bed."
Your reading it wrong - The cab has different widths depending on where you measure. The rules do not say "use widest point"
The bed pictured above tapers at the rear. Is that legal in C1 now?
[COLOR="rgb(244, 164, 96)"]As Tim said - that is not a rear tapper. Its a rounded back end.[/COLOR]
Furthermore from the rules:
"a truggy/tube bed that is narrower than the cab counts as a dovetail"

So basically you are saying that dovetailing is legal in C1?
[COLOR="rgb(244, 164, 96)"]Saying you are defending the rules, I would bet you know what a true dove tail is.... That is not.[/COLOR]
You really need to start modifying the rules or just throw them away completely.

You guys are really trying to make my life hard with all these interpretations. I need to tech our National Scale Series so thank you very much.
I am not saying the rules are perfect, nor am I trying to bash anyone. But would you really tell the rig above that he can not run his rig?
Old 04-11-2015, 04:32 AM   #609
Quarry Creeper

For a frist timer I would possibly let it slide. But would tell him to either change to C2 for the next race or widen the bed. A long time racer I would put straight to C2.

Would that flatbed get into C1 in the Nationals?

So you can measure the body anywhere you like just as long it is a width measurement to get a figure to compare your flatbed to?

Your interpretations are totally unfair to those who have followed the rules to the letter. If someone has build a flatbed that is as wide s the widest part of the cab, then they are at a disadvantage against a person who has a flatbed that is as wide as the narrowest part of the same cab. Yet they get the same scale points for it.
Scrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 08:55 AM   #610
I wanna be Dave

You will be fine up here in the PNW no matter what class you run it in. We follow the SORRCA ruleset and also keep in mind we are all out there just having fun.

Scrap, even following the rules to a T has issues as to were you can manipulate them for an advantage...... trust me, been there done that. More that one rule has been re-written or developed due to that followed to the letter mentallity.

Build, drive, and have fun.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by forty2 View Post

Ignoring C2 tires of course.
hotwheels000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 02:31 PM   #611
bsn
Quarry Creeper

Default What would this point out at?

Internal Cage with Honcho Body
Two rows of seats? yes/no -6 or -3
Sliders -3 Metal
Integrated Shock Mounts -1

bsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 05:45 PM   #612
Rock Crawler

Default Re: What would this point out at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsn View Post
Internal Cage with Honcho Body
Two rows of seats? yes/no -6 or -3
Sliders -3 Metal
Integrated Shock Mounts -1

Looks like you have scored it correctly from what I can see. I would say -6 for 2 row cage
boob dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 11:24 PM   #613
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrap View Post
For a frist timer I would possibly let it slide. But would tell him to either change to C2 for the next race or widen the bed. A long time racer I would put straight to C2.

Would that flatbed get into C1 in the Nationals?
Yes I believe it would.
So you can measure the body anywhere you like just as long it is a width measurement to get a figure to compare your flatbed to?
This has always been the way the rules have been read as I have seen it. When using scale bodies the differences we are talking about are not enough to give an advantage. Just enough to give wiggle room when your measuring and bending skills are not perfect.
Your interpretations are totally unfair to those who have followed the rules to the letter. If someone has build a flatbed that is as wide s the widest part of the cab, then they are at a disadvantage against a person who has a flatbed that is as wide as the narrowest part of the same cab. Yet they get the same scale points for it.
Where is the disadvantage? If someone completely tapers a bed, then I can see your point. But the back of the rig in question is the same as a stock honcho cage. Would you not give it flatbed points? Because I have never met someone that did not.
The amount gained from measuring at the bottom of the body vs the widest point is also not going to give any advantage. It does not look unscale, and it fits the intent of the rules and reason we are out playing with toy cars.

Again - Rules will never be Perfect but we have to stop and think sometimes why the rules were written. In 1:1 is is safety and level playing field. For us it is level playing field.
If you truly think someone is going to have a clear and distinct advantage and the rig in question is not 100% by the rules - Then by all means, dock him.

But make sure you read the rules from all angles. Things like this are left open for these very reasons I've stated. And if you start removing all these "tiny details", then we might as all start driving stock RTRs because you'll remove the creativity from the builders.
Old 04-14-2015, 05:54 PM   #614
Quarry Creeper

quick question that may have been asked, but can't find it anywhere. In C2, is it legal to modify the axle, this one being a scx10 axle, with the xr10/wraith(?) mod that grants more steering past stock?
hvydty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 06:32 PM   #615
I wanna be Dave

Its legal to mod the axle in any class as long as you still meet the appropriate criteria for tire coverage in C1, or tire proportions to the body in C2 and C3
Old 04-15-2015, 06:43 AM   #616
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Pig View Post
The scale points simply say it must have a floor, seat, dash and steering wheel to be considered 3D. That interior (unfortunately) meets that criteria.
So AXIAL Wraith Spawn Interior w/Helmets is a

3d Interior

plus would get points for 1 Complete Figure

??

Lame
sally1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 07:57 AM   #617
stk

I am wanting to run the 2.2 trenchers 1194-00 on a class 1 vehicle. They measure 3.6 x 1.7" and appear scale and resemble the pic I have provided. Thoughts?

Last edited by stk; 04-15-2015 at 08:05 AM.
stk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 08:26 AM   #618
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by sally1800 View Post
So AXIAL Wraith Spawn Interior w/Helmets is a

3d Interior

plus would get points for 1 Complete Figure

??

Lame
No. You would get -4 for the 3D interior (lame yes) and -1 for a head and arms. The rest of the body is a molded blob of plastic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stk View Post

I am wanting to run the 2.2 trenchers 1194-00 on a class 1 vehicle. They measure 3.6 x 1.7" and appear scale and resemble the pic I have provided. Thoughts?
I don't know anything about those tires. How are you going to mount 2.2 tires on a 1.7 rim?
Old 04-15-2015, 08:33 AM   #619
I wanna be Dave

I think he is saying the tire is 1.7 wide.
Old 04-15-2015, 08:45 AM   #620
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Pig View Post
No. You would get -4 for the 3D interior (lame yes) and -1 for a head and arms. The rest of the body is a molded blob of plastic.
Good

Hope you find a fair way to make it become 2d. Issue I see is the Pro line and this one isn't much different than say a New Bright JK interior. Just lighter plastic.
sally1800 is offline   Reply With Quote

2015 scale rules discussion or question thead - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2014 scale rules discussion or question thead doublej Scale Comp Rules 682 03-26-2015 07:33 AM
2015 Scale Rules doublej Scale Comp Rules 3 01-12-2015 12:56 PM
2013 scale rules discussion or question thead War Pig Scale Comp Rules 808 08-15-2014 09:29 PM