Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya Bruiser

Notices

Thread: JHTreyIII's Bruiser Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2013, 03:07 PM   #81
Rock Crawler

Default Re: JHTreyIII's Bruiser Build

I'm sure it would do fine in C1 but you'd need to do a hex conversion or something and put some tiny little tires and wheels on it. The ones that came with it are 2.2's. Theres a hex conversion from RC4WD for $35 but the issue there is the fact that the rear axle is wider than the front. I may get it to see if the offset if that noticable...I may not.

I kinda dig the cartoonish/retro look of this thing. I'll probably stick with the 2.2's. RC4WD also makes a set of aluminum 2.2 beadlocks that have different offsets, specifically designed for this rig, that set the stance even on the front and back. Then I just need to find a short, fat tire to go on them.

The suspension is stiff out of the box but the rig is pretty light overall. My C1 Chevy and Chino's work so well because the rig is so heavy. Maybe they'll loosen up some over time, there are a number of spring options in the 101 section though.

Fast? It would move pretty good in third gear. 2nd and 3rd gear are both 2WD only. 1st gear low is 4x4. I have a 16T crawlmaster in it though, fast isn't something that motor does very well. The gears are pretty close to each other. Meaning I'm not sure I'll ever use 2nd. I just went between 1st and 3rd yesterday. And yep, the 4PL and shift servo are all hooked up. That channel 3 slide on the 4PL switches between the 3 gears easily. Shifting was smooth. The truck is actually quite a bit quieter than I expected it to be. There's a lot going on in that transmission, I figured it would be a little noisy but it was like a silent assassin sneaking around the woods!
JHTreyIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-2013, 03:45 PM   #82
RCC Addict

How much wider is the rear axle? Is it minimal?

Maybe you could get the $35 conversion and I could modify the rear to be narrower and make a spacer for the front to even them out.. Probably close enough to not notice at least.

I mean, it's an inexpensive option over having just one wheel choice. If it's possible, that is. I don't know what any of it looks like.
Die-Laughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:00 PM   #83
Rock Crawler

You can see it. I'd say it's around 8mm each side. You could remake the front adapters so they're wider but I'm not sure if that would cause you to run out of thread on the axle. At this point I'm not really that worried about it. I didn't buy this rig to be competitive with, I've got others for that. I kinda like the big old fat tires!

Here's the kit, there are big bearings that go in the hubs:

Old 02-04-2013, 04:03 PM   #84
Rock Crawler

You can see the offset in these wheels.

Old 02-04-2013, 07:49 PM   #85
Rock Crawler

You know my TSL cut and shuts look perfect for this thing! I have plans for these on my next rig but I might need to make another set for the Bruiser!

Old 02-04-2013, 08:04 PM   #86
Scale Detail Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHTreyIII View Post
You know my TSL cut and shuts look perfect for this thing! I have plans for these on my next rig but I might need to make another set for the Bruiser!
TSL baby!
johnnyh66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:14 PM   #87
Rock Crawler

Yep, just like you suggested. I'll just get the hex conversion from RC4WD and make some new TSL's....now what wheel to get, decisions, decisions.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:19 PM   #88
Scale Detail Engineering

LockedUp?
Attached Images

Old 02-04-2013, 08:47 PM   #89
Rock Crawler

Man I'm not sure. I kinda think all those little scale screws will be a PITA. I'd really like to get another set of the VP OMF's like I got for the Brute with a different ring and maybe different colors, they're just so expensive. I really like the Gear Head EZ Locks but I don't think the black wheel would look right on this rig. Black wheels are too modern for an early 80's pickup unless it's a beater.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:01 PM   #90
Rock Crawler

Those do have the compatibility with SLW hubs though, I like that! It gives me the ability to adjust the offset so the tires would line up. Hmmm, maybe I do need some of those just with regular hardware!
Old 02-04-2013, 09:28 PM   #91
Rock Crawler

Hmmm...I'm diggin' this look!

Old 02-04-2013, 09:33 PM   #92
Scale Detail Engineering

it looks tough.

definitely needs light coloured wheels though.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:02 PM   #93
RCC Addict

That thing is beefy! I agree with Johnny, It looks good with the aluminum wheels. Gearhead/CAC makes those all aluminum 12hole wheels that actually look very similar to the stock bruiser wheels. Those are really nice. I just picked up a set of the Mayhem Trail Readys.. Those things are slick.

How about those Gearhead slot mags? Those seem like they would kick some ass on this hog..
Gear Head RC 2.2 Slot Mag Aluminum Beadlock Wheels (4)

Edit: I just realized that the wheels im looking at are 2.2's oops.

I have the 1.9 gearhead EZ-locs on my rig.. Aluminum rings with delrin centers on cut & shit TSL SX's if you want to test fit them on your rig to see what it would look like.

I cant say enough good things about gearhead wheels.

Last edited by Die-Laughing; 02-04-2013 at 10:07 PM.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:26 PM   #94
Rock Crawler

Well I think it would be smart to get something that uses VP's SLW hubs so I can set the offsets different and make up for the differing axle widths...so I'm leaning away from the gear heads.

These look really cool but they're only 3/4" wide. That's super skinny for 2.2 TSL's.

Or I could shell out the $$ for another set of VP OMF's which fit the TSL's nicely. I could do gun metal with a blue accent ring inside, that might look pretty sweet. Just like these but a different color. Just sooo expensive!!!

Old 02-05-2013, 08:16 AM   #95
RCC Addict

I wonder what the bolt pattern is on the SLW hubs. They are 6lug aren't they? same as Gearhead.. I wonder if the Gearheads can be adapted to the SLW hubs easily. Dual bolt pattern center sections perhaps?

Well, these are the one's I was talking about..
Old 02-05-2013, 08:31 AM   #96
Rock Crawler

Yeah it's a 6 lug pattern but it looks like the inner ring may be smaller on your hub. The red and black wheel in the post just above yours has an SLW hub on it.

Edit: Here is the back of it, crappy photo. These are 225's I think.

Old 02-05-2013, 08:35 AM   #97
RCC Addict

Do you own a caliper? or can you measure center to center on 2 of those wheel bolts? maybe a SLW will bolt right to a gearhead?

I got new 1.9's so, I'll be selling my gearheads. just sayin...
Old 02-05-2013, 08:39 AM   #98
RCC Addict

I just measured a CAC/Gearhead and its a .750" bolt pattern. You could probably measure that with a ruler accurate enough.

Old 02-05-2013, 08:42 AM   #99
Rock Crawler

No I don't have a caliper. I've been meaning to pick one up. Don't worry about it. I think I'm leaning away from the black centers. I really think the locked up ones would look the best...they're just too skinny. Sounds like theres another set of OMF's in my future.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:01 PM   #100
Rock Crawler

Well I was having a little trouble with the throttle cutting out on Sunday when I was turning. It was only really happening on full throttle. I didn't have a BEC installed so I went ahead and got that installed tonight. Hopefully that will solve the issue. I also went ahead and relocated the servo up front. There was quite a bit of slop in the linkage.

JHTreyIII's Bruiser Build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
JHTreyIII's Class 1 Build - 1981 Chevy Pickup JHTreyIII 1.9 Scale Rigs 321 11-18-2015 09:52 AM
JHTreyIII's 'Big Metal Bitch' Wraith Build JHTreyIII Axial Wraith 141 04-18-2014 06:42 PM
JHTreyIII's Jeep Brute JHTreyIII 1.9 Scale Rigs 22 12-04-2012 12:58 PM
JHTreyIII's '72 Chevy C10 Build JHTreyIII Axial SCX-10 83 10-29-2012 05:05 PM
NIRC Polar Series JHTreyIII's Class 2 run johnnyh66 Scale Videos! 4 03-26-2012 01:38 PM