Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tires and Wheels

Notices

Thread: Boom Racing ProBuild Customizable Beadlock Wheels

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2020, 12:56 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Boom Racing ProBuild Customizable Beadlock Wheels

https://www.asiatees.com/article?Boo...id=3414&c=zblo

More info including pricing - looks like the wheels can be ordered in nearly limitless variations (12 colors - mix and match outer rim to wheel face, scale hex hardware, hub offsets, etc):

https://www.boomracingrc.com/probuild?search=probuild

Last edited by durok; 06-22-2020 at 01:12 PM.
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-2020, 01:06 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Boom Racing ProBuild Customizable Beadlock Wheels

These actually look pretty nice.

Are these the same "clear face" one that people have been complaining about? I kind of felt that "clear face" might have just been a placeholder for your own wheel face of choice.
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 01:21 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

IMHO, these are possibly the fanciest wheels I've seen yet for RC - they're like GearHeads but with scale hardware and many more color options.

I'm sure they will eventually release more face designs, wheel center caps, and wheel widths.

Being able to pick the exact hardware used to assemble the wheel is the crowning touch!

You can go as subtle or as garish of a color combo as you'd like - and the site lets you preview the look.

I picked a hideous Green Goblin inspired setup and then a nice Bronze and Gunmetal one and here's what it shows:
Attached Images

Last edited by durok; 06-22-2020 at 01:36 PM.
Old 06-23-2020, 08:07 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

They do look nice. I liked the clear wheels, I think they looked badass with the brake rotors behind them. Something different anyway. Can always paint the clear to match your rig as well. Not sure if that is the intent or not.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 08:29 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I generally like the style of many of the options available on these but it looks like all the tiny screws around the outside of the face is what holds these together. I swap tires around a lot and having a 18 screw assembly per wheel isn't something I really want to deal with anymore.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 07:07 PM   #6

Great looking wheels. Hopefully they're not as heavy as the old Boom wheels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
I generally like the style of many of the options available on these but it looks like all the tiny screws around the outside of the face is what holds these together. I swap tires around a lot and having a 18 screw assembly per wheel isn't something I really want to deal with anymore.
Oddly enough it does look like all of those screws are functional. Even the first Krait wheels were only held together by about 6 screws.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 05:23 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
IMHO, these are possibly the fanciest wheels I've seen yet for RC
Well..this ones are not bad either ...they came out the same time as the boom wheels.
themountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 07:52 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

PDF link here:

https://1529840719.rsc.cdn77.org/ima...ock-Wheels.pdf

I love the fact that they are completely modular, I can see Boom Racing releasing new faceplates whenever they want, and now there are 3 new different center caps for a full-on scale look.

Them using steel for the back ring will help prevent cross-threading, a great idea.

People are always talking about the need for a wheel that allows just the right "tuck" under their fenders, well - these will do the trick.

There's a YouTube review showing them mounted up on TRX-4 portal axles, clearing all the components without any issue - even when setup with nearly flush faceplates - that's serious tuck!

I have a set of their narrow steelies, and they were already an excellent design, these just up the ante.

I had told myself no more pricey wheels after getting Vanquish and Locked Up RC sets - but these come with everything for about $25 a wheel, whatever offset hub you want, whatever scale hardware you want, whatever center cap you want.

They even come with tools, no need to order them separately - and they aren't copies of another scale wheel already on the market.

Last edited by durok; 06-24-2020 at 07:56 PM.
Old 06-24-2020, 09:09 PM   #9
Gold Star Baby!

This is a cool concept, definitely leaves a lot of room for future growth. May have to try these out sometime.
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 11:59 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

I dig em!👍🏼
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 10:05 AM   #11
RCC Addict

Great idea but I cringe a bit thinking of all those screws.
Sneetches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 07:23 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneetches View Post
Great idea but I cringe a bit thinking of all those screws.
I've already built the worst possible wheelset as far as screw count goes - Locked Up RC TrailReadys with a widener ring, a back, ring, and the Hutchinson "Command"-style front full wheel cover rings - they have 24 scale hex bolts all the way around, then 8 scale acorns in the center cap, under the center cap there are 8 around the hub (scale acorns again) - and then 6 regular hex bolts holding the rear beadlock ring on - and I had to keep the widener ring aligned while I was starting out.....

And I've also got a set of RC4WD 1.7" Raceline Avengers with 20 scale bolts.

I don't think the Boom Racing will be as bad because the bolts are threading into steel, which doesn't gall as much as aluminum - and they give you a handy little knurled tool to spin them on - just put a dab of Locktite and do 'em up finger-tight. Using a long tool with an adapter (like I used for the others I've done) divorces you from the actual feel as to when to stop tightening. I end up gorilla-fisting the damn things and then freaking out because I think I've stripped a couple.

Picks of the LURC wheels (which are VERY nice, it was just building them that was a bear!):

Old 06-25-2020, 07:45 PM   #13
Built, not bought

They got my attention.
62PYRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 07:22 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

Very cool concept. Nothing worse than being excited about your new wheels to find out the offset isn't right for your rig. These you can temporarily toss in a few screws see which way fits/looks best before final assembly.
OnTheTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 04:43 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

I got a set of these and it may be a little late to ask now, but has anybody here used these wheels yet? If so, how do you like them?

I got them over others simply because they looked pretty nice, had the option hub spacing and were the cheapest at the LHS.
TBuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 06:05 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

I still haven't built mine, because I'm procrastinating (again)... But upon close inspection, they're definitely gonna be nice!

I picked up the bronze face/matte black rim, with the oval holes instead of the spokes.

If I really get into them I'll likely order a set completely custom, with each part in the color I desire, and of course I'll upgrade the hardware if I feel it's necessary.

Got my Mickey Thompson Baja Pro X in the 4.7" OD from RC4WD that will mount up on them.

BTW - they keep releasing new stuff in the lineup - a new carbon face here - not really my thing, but a nifty idea:

https://www.asiatees.com/display?Mis...d=182334&pid=1

Last edited by durok; 01-01-2021 at 06:08 PM.
Old 01-01-2021, 06:45 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

Those are the same pair I picked up. I just built my first one today and it went together fairly well. This is also my first set of beadlock rims that I have put together ever so pleasantly surprised so far.

Another question. In all my racing buggies I vent either the rims or the tires. Do people vent their wheels or tires for crawling?
Just curious before I start assembling the rest of the wheels, thanks!
Old 01-01-2021, 07:37 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

To vent or not to vent, that's a big ol' can of worms....

It seems there's at least a slight majority that prefer venting, and typically the tire is better than the rim - because if you get water in your foams, having the holes in your tires allows the water to drain relatively easily.

Most people punch 2, 3, or 4 small holes, equally spaced apart, in between lugs in the center of your tread.

If you get waterlogged foams, you can lift your rig off the ground and blip the throttle, and your tires will sling stinky muddy water from whatever nasty bog you've been running in out until they are pretty much emptied.

Then, on the other end of the spectrum, there are people like me - who don't vent my wheels or tires.

If my wheels come with holes already in them (some do) I leave 'em alone UNLESS I'm gonna run in the wet - then I put tiny bits of tape over the holes to cover them.

I don't like ending up with nasty smelly rotting foams, but that's just me.

Many people say the tires won't perform correctly unless they're vented - some big name companies among them.

A lot of talk about equalizing pressures that can change with the elevation you might crawl at, and even ambient air temperatures.

I've heard their arguments, and have decided that I don't really care, it's my money and my rig.

I also very rarely go through any liquids deeper than sidewall height, and the deeper the water, the slower I go.

(BTW - I don't comp - just fun crawlin' for me...)
Old 01-02-2021, 10:57 AM   #19
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
To vent or not to vent, that's a big ol' can of worms....

It seems there's at least a slight majority that prefer venting, and typically the tire is better than the rim - because if you get water in your foams, having the holes in your tires allows the water to drain relatively easily.

Most people punch 2, 3, or 4 small holes, equally spaced apart, in between lugs in the center of your tread.

If you get waterlogged foams, you can lift your rig off the ground and blip the throttle, and your tires will sling stinky muddy water from whatever nasty bog you've been running in out until they are pretty much emptied.

Then, on the other end of the spectrum, there are people like me - who don't vent my wheels or tires.

If my wheels come with holes already in them (some do) I leave 'em alone UNLESS I'm gonna run in the wet - then I put tiny bits of tape over the holes to cover them.

I don't like ending up with nasty smelly rotting foams, but that's just me.

Many people say the tires won't perform correctly unless they're vented - some big name companies among them.

A lot of talk about equalizing pressures that can change with the elevation you might crawl at, and even ambient air temperatures.

I've heard their arguments, and have decided that I don't really care, it's my money and my rig.

I also very rarely go through any liquids deeper than sidewall height, and the deeper the water, the slower I go.

(BTW - I don't comp - just fun crawlin' for me...)
I had a feeling I may get an answer like this LOL. I will try it out without first and then see what happens. I appreciate the feedback!
Old 01-22-2021, 02:21 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Have a serious problem with rims and tires and have triple the amount of rims and tires vs trucks to put them on....will say Boom Racing is by far my favorite wheel manufacture. Between these and the Narrow steel versions it's hard to go wrong.

My new favorite small 1.9 is the Proline Krawler 3.85 predator compound and Narrow Steelie. With the small sidewall and shorter stance overall these are real performers.
MAGNUMB is offline   Reply With Quote

Boom Racing ProBuild Customizable Beadlock Wheels - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Boom racing wheels 2slow2race20 Tires and Wheels 0 04-12-2020 04:56 PM
Boom Racing AEGIS™ 1.9 High Mass Beadlock Aluminum Wheels durok Tires and Wheels 4 06-22-2018 08:55 PM
Boom Racing 1.55 Yota LC Scale Beadlock Wheels JatoTheRipper Tires and Wheels 25 06-19-2017 07:50 PM
Boom Racing high mass wheels T4rscott Tires and Wheels 8 06-02-2017 05:40 AM
Boom Racing wheels Jeckler Chit Chat 13 05-30-2016 08:49 PM