Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: How To: Make your own links

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-29-2012, 10:47 PM   #141
Rock Stacker

Default Re: How To: Make your own links

I knew once you tightened it all up it would become solid, BUT i was at the hobby shop tonight picking up stuff for my planes and sc trucks, and they STILL don't have the jato rod ends, so i'm just going to try out these 2742 trx and see if the all thread is going to pull out of them because they are so short, we'll see in acouple of days when i get it all buttoned up.
Doomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-2012, 01:36 PM   #142
Quarry Creeper

I read through all 8 pages and didn't find anyone mention how they put bends in their links. I would like to make some high clearance 30* lower links. Do you just bend the allthread inside the steel tubing? If they're as tough as you guys say it sounds like you would have to use a vise or can you do it with pliers?
Archangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 01:52 PM   #143
Quarry Creeper

Use a vise. personally I don't like bent links, both for looks and the fact that while the links clear everything its your drive shaft taking the hit instead. sleeved links slide really nice over pretty much everything.

I do see there place in a moa crawler though.
street.terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 02:03 PM   #144
Scale Detail Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archangel View Post
I read through all 8 pages and didn't find anyone mention how they put bends in their links. I would like to make some high clearance 30* lower links. Do you just bend the allthread inside the steel tubing? If they're as tough as you guys say it sounds like you would have to use a vise or can you do it with pliers?
An easy, maybe not 100% accurate way, is to put one end in a vice then slide a pipe over the other end for leverage.
johnnyh66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 02:13 PM   #145
Rock Crawler

I now have a good bender I made but didnt back when I built my Wraith. I just used a cheepo brake line bender from Harbor Freight. It was like $6-7 bucks and bent it with no problems, all thred, brake line combined.
transambill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 10:02 AM   #146

Great thread, was looking at buying some bent links but will be going by Lowes to try and get some material to make some. I'm running .250 wall DOM links on my 1:1, would be overkill for this guy but haven't experimented with scaler links. Should be fun.

Besides the thread engagement of the Jato versus the Revo are they the same strength rod end? Going to stop by my hobby store and see what they have in stock. Also I saw this question asked, but did not find an answer. Is 1/4" aluminum solid stock with the ends tapped strong enough to hold up to a tumble?
CUcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 02:39 PM   #147

Everybody is using revo rod ends. What about the little metal rod ends from rc4wd? I mean id rather use metal over plastic any day.
M0D3RN C0WB0Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 05:34 PM   #148
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0D3RN C0WB0Y View Post
Everybody is using revo rod ends. What about the little metal rod ends from rc4wd? I mean id rather use metal over plastic any day.
Metal ends will get dust and dirt ground into them, wearing them out (same with plastic). How much do you want to spend when it comes time to replace them?

Metal rod ends - $3.50 each
Revo rod ends - $.66 each
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 08:36 PM   #149
Quarry Creeper

im trying this this weekend and have one question. My lhs guy was telling me that the 5347 rod ends will usually break pretty easy and that the rpm rod ends are a direct replacement and upgrade for the 5347 traxxas rod ends. Now whether or not thats true is to be seen but the rpm ends don't have balls in them so I have to buy the traxxas rod ends anyway to get the balls out and use them. So the question is does anyone sell a pack of metal hollow balls to use in the rod ends so i don't have to waste time buying a package of traxxas rod ends just to get the balls from them?
donhd04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 08:46 PM   #150
Rock Crawler

Break pretty easy? Just grab the Revo rod ends and be done with it. Most of the aftermarket guys selling links supply you with them. If they were that bad I dont think they would include or recommend them.
Old 03-16-2012, 08:53 PM   #151
Suck it up!

Revo rod ends are plenty strong. You need to remember that the LHS salesmen typically know next to nothing about crawlers and don't realize that you won't be slamming into a parking curb @ 40 mph with your rig.

Your best bet: know what you are looking for before going to the lhs and don't let them talk you out of anything (or into anything), especially if you've researched it here first.
Old 03-16-2012, 08:57 PM   #152
Nobody

If you break a 5347 revo rod end it's often because they were threaded too deep.

Last time I looked, the only hollow balls I could find we're the 1/16 revo ones, which are smaller. Unless someone else knows of an alternative, I think you have to buy the complete revo or jato rod ends to use the balls in the RPM units.
Cordwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 09:00 PM   #153
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cordwood View Post
If you break a 5347 revo rod end it's often because they were threaded too deep.
Yup. Although, I've accidentally threaded them deep enough to lock the ball up and they still held up fine.

Having said all that I did, RPM makes fantastic stuff, so don't think I was trying to steer you away. They just aren't necessary in this instance.

Though I do need to pick some up for my sc10.....
Old 03-16-2012, 09:08 PM   #154
Nobody

I just made links for a couple projects using the RPM rod ends and they're pretty snazzy. Feel like they're gonna be pretty rugged.
Cordwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 08:01 AM   #155
Quarry Creeper

Thanks guys for the info. In time I may pick up a set but for now I think I'll start with the revo's. If I do break one then I'll pick up a set of rpm and go that route. Again thanks guys.
donhd04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 07:54 PM   #156

so im tryin to make my links for my scx10 im trying to build. long story short i got axles , chassis, trans, drivelines all in a trade i did unfortunetly i didnt get links so i decided i would make my ownI have everthing to make my links, traxxas revo links ends, 1/4 aluminum tubing, 8/32 all thread . I dont have a complete truck to reference from so i need some over all lengths for rear 4 links, front 4 link with servo / 4 link plate like a strc one, and steering . Someone out there has to have atleast one of these. I just need the total lengths please.
Olrusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 07:44 PM   #157

I guess the length totals would be eye to eye?
Old 05-06-2012, 12:26 AM   #158
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olrusty View Post
I guess the length totals would be eye to eye?

Best thing is to download the manual, you can get every length that you are looking for. my bet is that you will reference it a LOT while piecing you're rig together.
Good luck!
Mr.Joshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 02:30 AM   #159
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olrusty View Post
so im tryin to make my links for my scx10 im trying to build. long story short i got axles , chassis, trans, drivelines all in a trade i did unfortunetly i didnt get links so i decided i would make my ownI have everthing to make my links, traxxas revo links ends, 1/4 aluminum tubing, 8/32 all thread . I dont have a complete truck to reference from so i need some over all lengths for rear 4 links, front 4 link with servo / 4 link plate like a strc one, and steering . Someone out there has to have atleast one of these. I just need the total lengths please.
Which SCX10 are you building the links for? Not all of them had the same wheelbase,Honcho, Dingo?
Need more info.
When I build a set I don't follow a set list of lengths. I mock it all up and take measurements so I can build them to match the WB I need and can set the pinion angle to where I want it.
Old 05-06-2012, 11:00 AM   #160

Trying to build a honcho. I have downloaded the manual , they give length of the tubes . I need the measurement from eye to eye . I'm sure the revo ends are a different length than the axial ends .