Notices

Thread: 3d printer for rc parts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2020, 09:17 AM   #1041
Rock Crawler

Default Re: 3d printer for rc parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
That's great insight. I'm lazy when it comes to tinkering with things to get them to work correctly so it definitely sounds like the Prusa would be the better route for me. Thanks.
My Prusa i3 MK3S was my 4th printer, and has been phenomenal. It just works. I tell it to print something and it does it. I bought the kit version to save $150, but other than that it has required almost 0 effort.

I ran out of filament mid-print, but this is one of my more recent creations...

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Last edited by JSterrett; 01-09-2020 at 09:20 AM.
JSterrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-2020, 09:29 AM   #1042
RCC Addict

Quote:
That's great insight. I'm lazy when it comes to tinkering with things to get them to work correctly so it definitely sounds like the Prusa would be the better route for me. Thanks.
Prusa 100% because of the tuning (as mentioned) but also because of the great service/support they offer.

I'm responsible for the 3D printers at the university where I work, we currently run 19 Prusa (mix of MK2, MK3 & MK3S) machines and every one of them has worked perfectly right from day 1 and needed very little maintenance/tuning after the build.
QuesoDelDiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 09:33 AM   #1043
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuesoDelDiablo View Post
Prusa 100% because of the tuning (as mentioned) but also because of the great service/support they offer.

I'm responsible for the 3D printers at the university where I work, we currently run 19 Prusa (mix of MK2, MK3 & MK3S) machines and every one of them has worked perfectly right from day 1 and needed very little maintenance/tuning after the build.
That's GREAT news to know. I've been researching 3D printers, and Prusa was already on my "short list". As much as I'd love to be able to afford an Mk3S, the Mini barely fits into my budget right now...so, next paycheck (or the one after that, depending on bills), looks like I'll be placing my order...and waiting until April for it to ship. Patience is a virtue, be or so they say...let's test my patience...lol

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 10:37 AM   #1044

Quote:
I'm trying a new brand of PETG because Hatchbox doesn't offer it in black. The brand is Overture. After changing filament my printer just wouldn't print right. It turns out I snapped the extruder lever during the change. After thinking about it, I remembered it was cracked and I guess I finished it off so there was no pressure forcing the filament against the extruder. I've ordered a new, metal extruder arm and I'm hoping it fits. This breakage is apparently very common on the Monoprice Select Mini.

I do want to get a larger printer, but I'm torn between one of the Creality CR10 models and the Prusa I3 MK3S.
Let me know how you like the Overture. I just got a roll of the black stuff in along with my all metal hot end that I'm upgrading my Monoprice with. My Hatchbox PLA has been my favorite stuff, so I planned on Hatchbox PETG until I made the same discovery that you did. The Overture seems to be very highly rated on Amazon, so hopefully it's good stuff.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 11:25 AM   #1045

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSterrett View Post
My Prusa i3 MK3S was my 4th printer, and has been phenomenal. It just works. I tell it to print something and it does it. I bought the kit version to save $150, but other than that it has required almost 0 effort.

I ran out of filament mid-print, but this is one of my more recent creations...
That looks amazing! A coworker printed his phone case in TPU on his Prusa and it also looks excellent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim85IROC View Post
Let me know how you like the Overture. I just got a roll of the black stuff in along with my all metal hot end that I'm upgrading my Monoprice with. My Hatchbox PLA has been my favorite stuff, so I planned on Hatchbox PETG until I made the same discovery that you did. The Overture seems to be very highly rated on Amazon, so hopefully it's good stuff.
Will do. There are some massive 3D printing groups on Facebook and I did research there and the Overture seems highly regarded which is why I chose it. I'll let you know how I like it once I get my printer fixed.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 12:21 PM   #1046
I wanna be Dave

Ugh... my Prusa Mini can't come soon enough. I can't wait to start finally creating and experimenting parts.
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 12:49 PM   #1047

Quote:
Originally Posted by soze View Post
Ugh... my Prusa Mini can't come soon enough. I can't wait to start finally creating and experimenting parts.
Oh you ordered one? Nice! I just went and checked it out. The build volume is actually nice and much closer to the i3 than I expected. The Mini also has built in wireless whereas the i3 does not. The Mini definitely seems like a great option.
Old 01-09-2020, 01:28 PM   #1048
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Oh you ordered one? Nice! I just went and checked it out. The build volume is actually nice and much closer to the i3 than I expected. The Mini also has built in wireless whereas the i3 does not. The Mini definitely seems like a great option.
Yeah, I Pre-Ordered in October. I should be getting it either this month or next.
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 07:43 PM   #1049

Quote:
Yeah, I Pre-Ordered in October. I should be getting it either this month or next.
I'm anxious to hear your thoughts. The Mini looks excellent and the only reason I might step up to the i3 is to print stuff like TPU.

I did do a little research on the i3 and I get that it's open source, but it's a huge bummer that a ton of the parts are 3D printed from the factory rather than molded or sheet metal.

The Prusa assembled and calibrated i3 is tempting except for the price. It's a $250 premium over the kit!

Last edited by JatoTheRipper; 01-09-2020 at 07:55 PM.
Old 01-09-2020, 07:46 PM   #1050
Rock Crawler

Meh, I've definitely seen molded parts that are not as nice as these printed ones, lol.

Old 01-09-2020, 08:36 PM   #1051
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I did do a little research on the i3 and I get that it's open source, but it's a huge bummer that a ton of the parts are 3D printed from the factory rather than molded or sheet metal.

The Prusa assembled and calibrated i3 is tempting except for the price. It's a $250 premium over the kit!
First, I'm NOT trying to be negative in what I'm about to say, so, please take this as it's meant...to be helpful. You've, essentially, out down the Prusa printers because they use some parts that are 3D printed, instead of molded...but, did you ever stop to consider the huge BENEFIT these 3D printed parts afford you. Consider this:

You run a small home-business, and have two (or more) 3D printers you used for making the things you sell. One of you printers goes "out of commission" because a part of the printer breaks. Would you rather have to order the replacement part, and wait for it to be shipped, and then received? Or, would you rather be able to print the replacement part yourself? That is one advantage of having printers with certain parts having been 3D printed.

Additionally, as JSterrett pointed out, there are times where a 3D printed part can actually be stronger than a molded part. I just received a pair of slippers, and I was initially surprised that the soles were 3D printed (I won't mention the brand, but I will mention that they don't indicate this...I was able to tell by looking at them closely). In reviews, numerous people had reported how long-lasting the soles were, and that they later longer than other brands that had had.

I like the fact that some of the parts are 3D printed (and, in all likelihood, printed on their own printers), as it helps keep the costs down...and, could very well make part replacement costs lower. If you could print your own replacement parts, wouldn't you consider that a "benefit"?

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Old 01-09-2020, 08:53 PM   #1052
RCC Addict

Quote:

If you go the MK3 route you should consider getting both a smooth PEI sheet and a textured one. The smooth sheet for printing with PLA and the textured sheet for printing PETG. You can print PETG directly on the textured sheet and you just flex the sheet when it is done. No having to apply a separator like glue stick or Windex.
k7zpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 08:57 PM   #1053
RCC Addict

Quote:
Same here. I ordered on October 19th and I am now getting an ETA of mid to late February. Which is probably good since they need time to fix the issue with the LCD knob freezing up.
k7zpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 04:46 AM   #1054
I wanna be Dave

That’s why I chose Creality for my second one. Solid metal, large bearings, feels solid and stable. Prints are fantastic, right OOB.

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 09:01 AM   #1055
Rock Crawler

Quote:
The Overture seems to be very highly rated on Amazon, so hopefully it's good stuff.
Overture is the rebranded Amazon Basics filament.
Xx Losungen xX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 09:35 AM   #1056
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
I like the fact that some of the parts are 3D printed (and, in all likelihood, printed on their own printers), as it helps keep the costs down...and, could very well make part replacement costs lower. If you could print your own replacement parts, wouldn't you consider that a "benefit"?
You should check out some of Prusa's youtube videos. Their print farm and filament manufacturing are pretty cool.

And yes, instant replacement is a big advantage, as well as the options for customization (colors, logos, mods, etc...).

Old 01-10-2020, 09:52 AM   #1057
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
The Overture seems to be very highly rated on Amazon, so hopefully it's good stuff.
I am a complete newb to this 3D printing, so I may not know exactly what I am talking about yet!

I have been using the Overture PLA on my Ender 3 Pro since the first day I got the printer (2 weeks ago) and from what I can tell it prints really well. I have not had any problems with it. The prints come out nice and smooth.
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 10:48 AM   #1058
I wanna be Dave

I know this is going to be a bit of a 'loaded' question...and, it's not directed at any specific individual(s)...it's for "the masses" (yes, I realize everyone has the personal preferences): For each of the primary filament types (as well as variants of each type), what would be considered the Top 3 brands? Asking for Top 3 of PLA, of PET, of ABS, of ASA, of carbon reinforced, etc.

Old 01-10-2020, 11:47 AM   #1059
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xx Losungen xX View Post
FYI: This wasn't to discredit the Overture stuff. Amazon Basics filament has always had half decent reviews, Overture should be no different, it's the same stuff.

Plus, here in Canada it's about $10 cheaper per Kilo.
Xx Losungen xX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 12:05 PM   #1060
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xx Losungen xX View Post
That's good to know. I liked the Amazon Basics stuff.
GA Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote

3d printer for rc parts - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can your printer do this? CREEPERBOB Chit Chat 19 10-14-2011 07:33 PM
Are you a printer in OH or know someone who is? Phatmac Ohio 5 02-20-2009 02:14 PM