Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: Brazing Video

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2009, 10:25 PM   #161
Quarry Creeper

I have been reading this post for the last couple days now and went and picked up some Harris safe silv 45 and white Harris flux. So I tryed it out with my hand held mapp tourch and can not get the silv to melt even when held directly in the flame. Can mapp gas go bad I have had it laying around for a couple years or can the head go bad ? I just at a loss watching the vids on here it looks like it should be easyer
scrapen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-2009, 08:26 AM   #162
Rock Stacker

no. gas won't get bad. if there's something in the bottle it will be ok.
info: hottest spot of a flame is just a few millimeters in front of the inner blue flame.
izeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 08:52 AM   #163
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by izeman View Post
no. gas won't get bad. if there's something in the bottle it will be ok.
info: hottest spot of a flame is just a few millimeters in front of the inner blue flame.
Thank you good to know about the gas maybe its the actuall torch it has been dropped a time or 2 could that effect the performance to the point it would melt the silv unless its in the direct flame.
scrapen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 04:28 PM   #164
Rock Stacker

i just got a bernzomatic mapp gas torch, some of the 3/16th in. brakeline with the green coating on it that i sanded off, i got some do it best silver solder, and oatey H-20 flux. i just cant get the silversolder to stick to the brake line. heres what i do, i put flux on both of the rods, i put the silver solder on right when it gets red hot and the solder just falls right off. maybe i just need some harris safety silv 45 and harris flux? help please
mopar1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 04:07 PM   #165

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopar1994 View Post
i just got a bernzomatic mapp gas torch, some of the 3/16th in. brakeline with the green coating on it that i sanded off, i got some do it best silver solder, and oatey H-20 flux. i just cant get the silversolder to stick to the brake line. heres what i do, i put flux on both of the rods, i put the silver solder on right when it gets red hot and the solder just falls right off. maybe i just need some harris safety silv 45 and harris flux? help please
i just bought a mapp torch too..the guy at lowes told me that this acid based solder and flux should work fine..im using the same green brake line too..but im having the same exact problem..it just beads up and rolls off??? someone help us!!
jdmjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 04:11 PM   #166
Quarry Creeper

Just my 2 cents after the first time brazing steel:

I have been brazing aluminum for a long time so I decided to try my hand at making a roll cage, bumpers and rock sliders with steel...Yesterday, I brazed steel for the first time using Harris safety silv and stay silv white flux(mapp gas and a swirling-air torch tip were used). The first try, the solder was rolling off the join and not sticking. I was a little frustrated at first but it was an easy fix to figure out. Just let the steel get hot enough to start turning red and the solder will melt perfectly into the joint.

For the guys using the acid core solder.....I am about 99% sure that you can not use that type of solder and flux for this type of brazing. You need to go buy a solder with at least 45% silver and a flux that is matched with that product. I paid about $31 for both the 56% silver and the White flux paste. A solid investment if you don't want to waste money and time.

Do yourself a favor and get the Harris products and call it good!

Good Luck,

JB
CruiserHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 12:37 PM   #167
Quarry Creeper

...and here is what i came up with so far.

Tople$$ FJ40

JB
Old 01-15-2010, 02:38 PM   #168
Quarry Creeper

Hey guys, just wanted to say thanks for the great info you provided to all here. I brazed my first bumper today and it came out good for it being the first time. Kinda wish i made myself start this sooner. For me brazing was the easiest part (benzo torch and gas, harris flux and safety silv all from local welding supply) but the most time consuming was bending the 3/16 solid rod and cutting the metal. Was just curious if the 3/16 brake line is easier to work with or are they about the same?
hoyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 12:44 AM   #169
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyt View Post
Hey guys, just wanted to say thanks for the great info you provided to all here. I brazed my first bumper today and it came out good for it being the first time. Kinda wish i made myself start this sooner. For me brazing was the easiest part (benzo torch and gas, harris flux and safety silv all from local welding supply) but the most time consuming was bending the 3/16 solid rod and cutting the metal. Was just curious if the 3/16 brake line is easier to work with or are they about the same?
i would say yes. you have to sand it down before brazing.
5150bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 02:04 AM   #170
Rock Stacker

why does everyone buy brakeline? sanding of the coating is a pita.
why not buy simple st36 tubes? they are available in all inner/outer diameters we could need.
i for myself like brazing solid round bar because it bends nicer. tubes tend to fold a bit at small bending diameters - and filling them with sand is a big big mess. ;)
izeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 08:24 PM   #171
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double J View Post
Yeah I know the camera doesn't show detail that much but hey, better than nut-n.

I cant get the video to work, is it my computer
mikegigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 10:41 PM   #172
Quarry Creeper

I watched it a bunch of times before now it seems to be gone...? Good news is: It's not your computer. Hope they fix it soon!

JB
Old 02-11-2010, 08:01 PM   #173
Rock Crawler

Anyone know when the vid will be back up? Been trying for days and nothing on the link.
cavie98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 08:31 AM   #174
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by izeman View Post
why does everyone buy brakeline? sanding of the coating is a pita.
why not buy simple st36 tubes? they are available in all inner/outer diameters we could need.
i for myself like brazing solid round bar because it bends nicer. tubes tend to fold a bit at small bending diameters - and filling them with sand is a big big mess. ;)
napa auto has the un-coated brakeline, at least in my area of pa....i made my own mandrel's for bending 3/16" and 1/4" brakeline from 5/16" bolt, washers and a piece of 3/8" tranny/brake line....i'll have a write up here son, stay tuned ...............bob

bob1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 08:13 PM   #175
Quarry Creeper

I going to have to give this a try. Does lowes or HD sell everything I need to solder brake line? I already have a Mapp torch. I gotta make a roll cage.
Bmr4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 08:40 AM   #176
MSH
Pebble Pounder

Any European Brazers can help locate Mapp gas torch sellers?

Can these things be shipped with UPS or whatever?
MSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 09:05 AM   #177
Quarry Creeper

You should be able to locate them on Ebay. In 'Advanced search' change location to 'European Union', and search for Rothenburger...
http://shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?_nkw=r..._dmd=1&_ipg=50

Hope that link works for you!
WolverineX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 09:40 AM   #178
MSH
Pebble Pounder

That does work, i'll see what i will do.
MSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 10:45 PM   #179

good info
sudden_scaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 10:45 PM   #180

awesome
sudden_scaler is offline   Reply With Quote