Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Ascender

Notices

Thread: Tribute to my Dad's 79 F100 featuring Banzai

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2018, 08:03 AM   #421
RCC Addict

Default Re: Tribute to my Dad's 79 F100 featuring Banzai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browneye View Post
Oops - what's the difference between them?
The DS3218 exists...not so sure about the DS3215. AliExpress has a listing for a DS3215 but the box and the servo pictured are very clearly marked DS3115. Also the box pictured does not look like the boxes from the DS3218's I have.

Curious.
2mtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-2018, 09:40 AM   #422
RCC Addict

You mean I just got the part number wrong? Here I thought the DS servo in the 'cheap servo' thread was a 3215.
I'm easily confused.

Browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 01:16 PM   #423
I wanna be Dave

The servo is a DS3218, but the internet has some typos out there - as long as you get one with DS3218 on the servo label, you've got the right one...

I only brought it up because I didn't want people searching under the incorrect part number...

I remember when it was a standard response when people were looking for inexpensive servos to say, buy one expensive servo because you'll be spending more in the long run by going cheap and continually replacing them...

This is finally an answer to that.

I'm not saying I'll never destroy mine, but it truly is cheap enough to justify buying perhaps 3 (I'm hearing of people getting them for $8.80-$11.00, using eBay coupons, etc) so that you have a spare for yourself and a buddy when you go out on a crawl.

As soon as I get back to working I'm ordering a couple more.

*Now, for my 2.2" Bomber Builds, I'm sticking with a ProModeler or a HH SHV500 for those...
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 01:21 PM   #424
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browneye View Post
You mean I just got the part number wrong? Here I thought the DS servo in the 'cheap servo' thread was a 3215.
I'm easily confused.

It would appear so.

That you were thinking the wrong part number, not that you're easily confused.

If it makes you feel any better, I said the wrong part number for it in a YouTube video and had to textbox correct it later. Now THAT'S embarrassing.
Old 06-07-2018, 02:00 PM   #425
I wanna be Dave

first time i fired up this rig (the 79 tribute) in a youtube video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_hLMpG1TAc ) i think i said it was a tactic. also show my winch n00bness lol but the steering servo its actually a spectrum :rolleyes: so yeah that spectrum is now DEAD. i tried to move the steering by hand last night and the servo just went CRUNCH CRUNCH CRUNCH
i will crack it open and post pics of the carnage here.

so yeah... ds3218 should be here by the 12th!
thanks everyone for the suggestions!

Last edited by Shinchu; 06-07-2018 at 02:14 PM.
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 12:26 PM   #426
I wanna be Dave

In the words of Lando Calrissian...

Hel-lo what have we here?

I opened up the spectrum servo.
I couldnt really see any damage... BUT... the pinion gear on the motor had SHARP teeth. My guess is it was just pushing too hard while the servo arm was just barely binding up on the bottom of the winch servo.
Gonna make sure I bottom mount the new ds3218 while keeping the winch top mounted. Should prevent any further destruction.
Meanwhile, where to find spectrum servo replacement motor pinion? Would make a good spare if I can save it. Er... I forgot the model number and I'm not at home.
Quick Google image search amx I recognized it.
Spektrum 625wp
Looks like its the std ascender rtr servo? Hmm...

Last edited by Shinchu; 06-10-2018 at 02:54 PM.
Old 06-10-2018, 10:25 PM   #427
I wanna be Dave

Hw1080 is in!
Going through setup was pretty easy except for one thing.
When I first set it for neutral, fwd, brake. It doesnt sense my input for fwd.
But it works when I run it just need to reverse throttle input on the TX.
Tempted to swap motor wores but I suspect it could be something else.
Need to read other threads on hw1080 but maybe it was because I had my tx throttle speed for reverse down to 50% and maybe that's why it didn't sense the input? Gonna try to reset later, but for now it's tv time with mrs shinchu.

Hope you all had a good weekend. See you all Monday and hopefully next post in here will be with a new servo!
Old 06-11-2018, 06:50 AM   #428
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinchu View Post
Hw1080 is in!
Going through setup was pretty easy except for one thing.
When I first set it for neutral, fwd, brake. It doesnt sense my input for fwd.
But it works when I run it just need to reverse throttle input on the TX.
Tempted to swap motor wores but I suspect it could be something else.
Need to read other threads on hw1080 but maybe it was because I had my tx throttle speed for reverse down to 50% and maybe that's why it didn't sense the input? Gonna try to reset later, but for now it's tv time with mrs shinchu.

Hope you all had a good weekend. See you all Monday and hopefully next post in here will be with a new servo!
Confidently assuming you ran the calibration routine, I'd swap the motor wires.
Old 06-11-2018, 06:51 AM   #429
Pebble Pounder

I had a similar issue when I got my 1080. I had to reverse the input on the transmitter and the 1080 was set to "forward only" from the factory.
skinnyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 08:11 AM   #430
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Tribute to my Dad's 79 F-150 RANGER LARIAT

Some of those require during set up that you reverse the switch and make sure the trims and rate switch are set to 0. Otherwise it will work weird.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk
mgputer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 12:03 PM   #431
RCC Addict

2 more DS3218's came in the mail...yes, 3218's! LOL

The one I have mounted keeps backing out the set screw on top of the horn. I even blue locktited it last time....maybe not enough.

I also got a light controller - burned out the last one at Proline, I suspect from running the HW bec at 7.4v. Put it back to 6v. [shrug] Servo is fast enough and the lights work!!
Browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 01:25 PM   #432
I wanna be Dave

yeah i need to zero out my TX and start from scratch/recalibrate to make sure. if that doesn't work i'll swap the motor wires. so far its a pretty neat little ESC though. i already made sure BEC is set for 6v as the ds3218 servo says 6.4v iirc.

I'm going to need a light controller too. my quick rigged lights running on a 4 AAA pack just didn't have the juice to run the "super bright white LED" i got from fry's. says optimal is 11v lol maybe a jst off the 3s lipo pack would have been better for the headlights.

hate to end this post on a bummer, but BE CAREFUL on ebay! i cant be certain but my debit card numbers are being used to paint the town red right now. my bank is going to help tomorrow (stuff on weekends will not post until tues.) so hopefully i don't eat ramen until next payday. so after i rebuild all my billing stuff with my new number i am getting an RFID wallet. stupid chip cards...
Old 06-11-2018, 01:43 PM   #433
Slow is the new Fast

Quote:
yeah i need to zero out my TX and start from scratch/recalibrate to make sure. if that doesn't work i'll swap the motor wires. so far its a pretty neat little ESC though. i already made sure BEC is set for 6v as the ds3218 servo says 6.4v iirc.

I'm going to need a light controller too. my quick rigged lights running on a 4 AAA pack just didn't have the juice to run the "super bright white LED" i got from fry's. says optimal is 11v lol maybe a jst off the 3s lipo pack would have been better for the headlights.

hate to end this post on a bummer, but BE CAREFUL on ebay! i cant be certain but my debit card numbers are being used to paint the town red right now. my bank is going to help tomorrow (stuff on weekends will not post until tues.) so hopefully i don't eat ramen until next payday. so after i rebuild all my billing stuff with my new number i am getting an RFID wallet. stupid chip cards...
Someone named Shinchu is buying drinks for everyone at the strip club?

...but seriously, what a PITA, it always feels like a waste of energy having to deal with that crap.

On a more playful note. I am about to throw a HW 1080 brushed in my F150 as well. The drag brake on my current Novak isn't powerful enough. The rig was getting away from me a little to frequently over the weekend. The Novak is great, but seems more suited to a fast running rig.
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 02:14 PM   #434
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

That's why I always use PayPal. They usually catch it before you even notice and fix it and give you the money back right away no questions asked. I had it happen a couple times now and I will get like 30 messages almost instantly that I bought something and within an hour the money was back and they fixed the issue.

One time I had it happen and my bank said sucks to be you. Cancelled my card to stop new transactions but I still lost $1500 never to see it again. If you can't guess I changed banks after that experience.

Old 06-11-2018, 03:17 PM   #435
RCC Addict

Quote:

That truly sucks. I have one dedicated credit card with a fairly low max that's the only one I'll use for ebay, even with paypal. I wouldn't use my debit card online with a gun to my head (well, maybe then). Hope you get that squared away.
Old 06-11-2018, 04:40 PM   #436
I wanna be Dave

Time to make a tin foil wallet! But seriously thats a bummer, I hope that all gets sorted out quick.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 05:40 PM   #437
I wanna be Dave

Thanks fellas.
On a more positive note...

Hmmmm! Tiny truck parts!

And yes I fixed most of the damage to the chrome. Still need a new blinker lens.
Yay parts!
Old 06-15-2018, 12:14 PM   #438
I wanna be Dave

pre-update:
i will update with pics later but i got the servo in. yes, i know it should have been a straight swap. it would have been if i wanted to blow another servo. but upon investigation, i found... reasons.

long story short, SHE STEERS!

in other news, i get to make a rather large birthday purchase today. a very large 3D PRINTED purchase... ;)

STAND BY FOR PHASE 2, FELLAS!!!!! HERE WE GOOOOO!!!!!!!

ASCENDERS ASSEMBLE!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-15-2018, 02:13 PM   #439
RCC Addict

Interior?
hillbillyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 03:03 PM   #440
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
pre-update:
i will update with pics later but i got the servo in. yes, i know it should have been a straight swap. it would have been if i wanted to blow another servo. but upon investigation, i found... reasons.

long story short, SHE STEERS!

in other news, i get to make a rather large birthday purchase today. a very large 3D PRINTED purchase... ;)

STAND BY FOR PHASE 2, FELLAS!!!!! HERE WE GOOOOO!!!!!!!

ASCENDERS ASSEMBLE!!!!!!!!!!
I know what you ordered! If I'm right I'm jealous! Are you going leafs this time?

Last edited by mgputer; 06-15-2018 at 03:10 PM.

Tribute to my Dad's 79 F100 featuring Banzai - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tribute to my Dad: 79 F100 Lariat - help me start Shinchu Paint and Body 8 08-11-2017 11:58 AM
Banzai II: TTC FJ Crawln Coles 2.2 Scale Rigs 35 06-08-2011 05:39 PM
Banzai or WarriorII addictedtonitro Electronics 20 02-09-2009 06:09 PM