Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Venom Creeper

Notices

Thread: wanting a winner... build thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2012, 07:11 AM   #81
Rock Crawler

Also, i used the black servo backs from the original servo mounts and used them as the nuts on the back of the btl kit. Later on i will cut them flat so they arent like triangles. But they work good.

I also flipped my knuckles too.. just saying. I have updated pics on my thread if you need to see aanything.
masonis1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-2012, 09:00 AM   #82
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: wanting a winner... build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnerone23 View Post
So has anyone seen this? I haven read anything bout it anywhere.. The axial metal yokes an truck shafts are just bout interchangeable.. tho the male axial is just a tad beefier... Bout half inch longer as well! Think I may use one for my front shaft an the traxxas shaft for my rear.

The Axial steel yokes hold up pretty well..however the shafts dont...Ive twisted them and broke the ears off at least 6 m/f shaft halves...stick with the Traxxas...for the shafts at least.
rmdesignworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 10:40 AM   #83
Rock Crawler

Hah why didnt you just get them first.
Old 03-20-2012, 03:21 PM   #84
I wanna be Dave

I have had the traxxas shafts, I got the axial shafts with a whole aluminum axial xr-10 link set for 30$... So I got the links half price an the shafts for free! Depending on how you look at it... I just happen to notice they are pretty similar..

As far as the steering set up... I didn't get home till 9 an just threw that together so I had a start on it today after work.. its not staying that way, have to be up at 4 an was up till mid night when I slapped the btl plate on an connected the ota link at 430 this morning... Haha, I wanted to take the day off to work on it! Have to work to pay for the sickness tho! (Or the wife would be horribly mad at me!?)

The shafts.... My female female with male insert inside the two female shafts is still holding up on the front so I haven changed it out yet.. still haven felt like drilling out the stripped set screw... To busy building other parts of it..

Last edited by winnerone23; 03-20-2012 at 03:24 PM.
winnerone23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 03:55 PM   #85
Rock Crawler

Sounds good.
Old 03-20-2012, 08:58 PM   #86
I wanna be Dave

Ok, so how retarded is just changing one little thing making such a huge difference! I put my btl plate on from Rmdw an just attacked my course at home.. ripped right thru spots it wouldn't even touch before! This is awesome! I think I'm goin to just keep changing one thing at A time so I know what every little thing changes... If it keeps getting better with everything I change, ill be stoked! Thanks venom an thank you Rmdw!

Ok now for a question.. I had a 645mg on to start with(I have two, one off my nitro)... The one that was on my rig, when I pushed a wheel, just went left to right. Very loose, couldn't get it to turn the wheels on the carpet. The one out of my nitro is hard to turn, like its tight. I put the tight one on with the btl plate. It turns the wheels like no other now! Carpet test past with flying colors! WHat a diff! ... Now could this be cause my,loose, 645mg is shot or goin bad? Or does the ota steering make that huge an sweet of a difference?

Last edited by winnerone23; 03-20-2012 at 09:07 PM.
Old 03-20-2012, 09:00 PM   #87
Rock Crawler

Where did you get your servo?
Old 03-20-2012, 09:23 PM   #88
I wanna be Dave

One with the rig, one with my nitro, I borrowed it from it... An got one off ebay.. suppose to have 209oz but not sure, it ran like the loose 645mg... But I'm not sure it was the servo or my steering set up I just had.. ? The way I had it setup was nice for clearance but not sure for steering power. Now I was running it without a Bec as well.
Old 03-20-2012, 09:48 PM   #89
Rock Crawler

Oh. Hah ive borrowed about 3 from my 1/8 truck. Well crawlers are hard on servos
Old 03-20-2012, 09:57 PM   #90
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Ok now for a question.. I had a 645mg on to start with(I have two, one off my nitro)... The one that was on my rig, when I pushed a wheel, just went left to right. Very loose, couldn't get it to turn the wheels on the carpet. The one out of my nitro is hard to turn, like its tight. I put the tight one on with the btl plate. It turns the wheels like no other now! Carpet test past with flying colors! WHat a diff! ... Now could this be cause my,loose, 645mg is shot or goin bad? Or does the ota steering make that huge an sweet of a difference?
2 different but same model servos, 1 btl set-up, 2 different results....Why would you think the btl plate was making a difference?
Yes, I'd say your "loose" 645mg servo is going bad.....or did you happen to use a different servo horn? On the "loose" servo it may be a stripped horn if you did use a different one.
28offroader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 10:00 PM   #91
Rock Crawler

What do you mean loose?
Old 03-21-2012, 03:32 AM   #92
I wanna be Dave

Well the btl plate moves the servo up to use with the ota.. long hours no sleep.. lol. Same horn, two diff servos same model.. now the tight (to turn) one seems to have all kinda power.. I thought it made it slow or weak.. maybe it was the drag link setup I was using before the ota setup. I'm thinking maybe the angle of having the drag link up in the air gave it too much angle an lost turning power?

Works great now! Now I'm real exited to get my castle field card to set up my Bec off default! Plus put the new servo on, at twice the power! (At minimum)
Old 03-21-2012, 11:05 AM   #93
Quarry Creeper

That angle probly caused the servo to work too hard. If you think about it... Instead of the linkage being a nice sweep it's pushing down and over when turning left ....up and over when turning right. Ideal is to have the drag link parallel with the tie rod.
28offroader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 12:42 PM   #94
Rock Crawler

my steerings setup the same way no issues with it but i got a much bigger servo torque wise though
89lxmorepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 12:46 PM   #95
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Well the btl plate moves the servo up to use with the ota.. long hours no sleep.. lol. Same horn, two diff servos same model.. now the tight (to turn) one seems to have all kinda power.. I thought it made it slow or weak.. maybe it was the drag link setup I was using before the ota setup. I'm thinking maybe the angle of having the drag link up in the air gave it too much angle an lost turning power?

Works great now! Now I'm real exited to get my castle field card to set up my Bec off default! Plus put the new servo on, at twice the power! (At minimum)
Run the drag link(servo to knuckle) to the other side so the drag link is longer and at less angle...
Old 03-21-2012, 03:14 PM   #96
I wanna be Dave

I nave ur btl an ota on now Thomas, its awesome! Any ideas on why It's tight to turn my horn using my fingers? Anyone? It works great on the rig, I just don't want it using my battery up if It's bad.. I didn't use any other servos whit the ota tie rod to know but it works flawless that I can tell the way it is. Hoping when I get home my aluminum wheels, cs-170 an castle field link is there! Fingers crossed. Goin crawling with another guy when I get home so may not change anything till after, unless the field link is there to set up my esc an cc Bec.. when I get my wheels ill be putting my paradox dual foams in my rovers.. The stock foams I have in are cut to One inch like the dual foams an I like it. Can't wait to test the taller paradox ones!
Old 03-21-2012, 04:45 PM   #97
Rock Crawler

Sounds likw your gunna have a full paradox creeper pretty soon.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:12 PM   #98
I wanna be Dave

Sure am! Can't wait! Just The chassis an Lincoln lockers to pay for yet, the rest is here! It all looks so nice too...
Old 03-21-2012, 08:19 PM   #99
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I nave ur btl an ota on now Thomas, its awesome! Any ideas on why It's tight to turn my horn using my fingers? Anyone? It works great on the rig, I just don't want it using my battery up if It's bad.. I didn't use any other servos whit the ota tie rod to know but it works flawless that I can tell the way it is. Hoping when I get home my aluminum wheels, cs-170 an castle field link is there! Fingers crossed. Goin crawling with another guy when I get home so may not change anything till after, unless the field link is there to set up my esc an cc Bec.. when I get my wheels ill be putting my paradox dual foams in my rovers.. The stock foams I have in are cut to One inch like the dual foams an I like it. Can't wait to test the taller paradox ones!
the gearing in the servo can be damaged if you keep turning it in reverse by hand...the gears are meant to be turned by the servo motor not the horn...the huge gear reduction that makes it possible for the little motor to put out so much power is what you feel...now quit playing with your horn...youll go blind.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:30 PM   #100
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Sure am! Can't wait! Just The chassis an Lincoln lockers to pay for yet, the rest is here! It all looks so nice too...
Let me know if there is. Big advantage to the lincoln lockers to just locking the diffs?

wanting a winner... build thread - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wanting to build a quadcopter iamsuperbleeder Non Crawler RC's 21 03-25-2012 11:42 PM
Wanting to build my own lcc xThexFearedx Team Losi Comp Crawler 0 04-18-2010 11:26 PM
T-shirt winner(s) thread Cloak General Crawlers 23 08-14-2009 08:56 PM
wanting to try another tuber build iceman320 General Crawlers 8 03-29-2009 06:22 PM
wanting to build a clod PONYBOY87LX Tamiya Clod Buster 5 01-25-2008 11:52 AM