Jester666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-2008, 03:49 AM   #202
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester666 View Post
: shock:!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will cry when this takes a bad roll and cracks up
LOL - Who said THAT was going to happen..!!??!!?? I promise however if that ever does happen, there will be PLENTY of carnage pics to drool and cry over..!!!
51WillysJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 09:56 AM   #203
Quarry Creeper

I'll get the tow truck to haul it away after the carnage........
HC Rc Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 10:00 AM   #204
Quarry Creeper

HOLY CRAP !!!!
Crawlin4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 09:50 PM   #205
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51WillysJeep View Post
Remember me saying in one of my recent posts that there was one thing I wasn't happy with at all the more I looked at the way this build was taking shape....well today all that changed..!!

Here was Clampys problem area.....Before..

Does the hood above look anything like the one pictured on the real truck below..?? It may sound stupid to some, but it was driving me crazy, that even though Clampy is a Toyota, the real 1:1 ISN'T a Hilux cab, SO time to change mine into the real deal........

OOppss...Looks like something fell off......

Nice tight fit..

The next thing that HAD to go in my opinion were the front directional lenses and the "Hilux 4WD" emblems.... If they're not on the real 1:1, then they're not on mine either..!

Before..

After...Nice and smooth

Heres the goal I was going after....

MUCH better, Now just have to do a little bondo work, and call it a day..!!

the reason the hoods fenders and well basically the whole cab are different is cause the 1:1 clampy is a 2nd gen toyota hilux not the first gens like the the body u got just fyi
84socal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 10:43 PM   #206
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84socal View Post
the reason the hoods fenders and well basically the whole cab are different is cause the 1:1 clampy is a 2nd gen toyota hilux not the first gens like the the body u got just fyi
wrong.
Andrizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 10:45 PM   #207
I wanna be Dave

continues to impress me! love the attention to detail and willingness to get it done right.
bravo!

pantablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 01:47 AM   #208
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrizzle View Post
wrong.
not quite...

the real Clampy is a late 80s (was IFS) Toyota pickup, commonly known as a 2nd gen. the Hilux body is a pre-84 Toyota pickup, commonly known as a 1st gen. these are, of course, 4x4s. the Toyota pickups before 1979 were all 2WD. so technically, we're into the fourth and fifth generations of Toyota trucks... but not 4x4s. either way, Clampy is NOT the same generation as the Tamiya Hilux bodies.

51WillysJeep, keep us the great work. this thing is setting the bar way the hell up there...
4RunnerKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 04:08 AM   #209
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84socal View Post
Hey - Um....Thanks, but I knew that already.., hence the reason I'm in the process of CHANGING the hood and a few other things and making it a mid 80's bodystyle, ( Just like the real 1:1 Clampy) and NO longer a Hilux..! I owned a real 1:1 1986 Toyota Pickup, and the bodystyle was completely diffrent from the Hilux.. Hope you enjoy the build...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantablo View Post
continues to impress me! love the attention to detail and willingness to get it done right.
bravo!

Thanks Man - Your builds have been impressing me for a while.., Glad I could return the favor..!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4RunnerKid View Post
not quite...

the real Clampy is a late 80s (was IFS) Toyota pickup, commonly known as a 2nd gen. the Hilux body is a pre-84 Toyota pickup, commonly known as a 1st gen. these are, of course, 4x4s. the Toyota pickups before 1979 were all 2WD. so technically, we're into the fourth and fifth generations of Toyota trucks... but not 4x4s. either way, Clampy is NOT the same generation as the Tamiya Hilux bodies.

51WillysJeep, keep us the great work. this thing is setting the bar way the hell up there...
Your description is 100% CORRECT..!! - and Thank YOU..!!!
Old 11-05-2008, 08:48 AM   #210
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4RunnerKid View Post
not quite...

You took the words right outa my mouth.

Awesome build 51 looks great!
axman2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 09:56 AM   #211
RCC Addict

man first off let me say awesome build and exalent craftmanship , i looked threw the whole thread but i have one question, is the sun roof real glass or what did you make it out of , cant wait to see more progress !!!
ctrwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 11:02 AM   #212
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrwannabe View Post
man first off let me say awesome build and exalent craftmanship , i looked threw the whole thread but i have one question, is the sun roof real glass or what did you make it out of , cant wait to see more progress !!!
Thanks Man - The sunroof "glass" is actually polarized sunglass lense material..( little thicker than standard lexan sheet..) My father used to work for Foster Grant WAYYY back in the day, and had a few leftover "scrap" pieces in his old toolbox..I found them, and knew exactly where I could use them..!!
Old 11-05-2008, 12:27 PM   #213
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51WillysJeep View Post
Thanks Man - The sunroof "glass" is actually polarized sunglass lense material..( little thicker than standard lexan sheet..) My father used to work for Foster Grant WAYYY back in the day, and had a few leftover "scrap" pieces in his old toolbox..I found them, and knew exactly where I could use them..!!
Thats awesome the detail on this thing is absolutly sick, I would one day like to get and make a scaler with even 1/8 th the detail you've done to this one. Builds like this inspire me to go work on my rigs but I have just bairly started collecting items for any sort of scaler project. Also the toyota builds are all so cool im gonna have to get a hilux or bruiser one day when i can afford it
ctrwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 12:33 PM   #214
Oppan Gangnam Style

Damn, I love this build! can't wait to see more pictures!!!
chino63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 01:43 PM   #215
DMC
Rock Stacker

You've got some serious skills, attention to detail and considerable patience!

I've been looking for what seems to be the ever elusive Parma Chevy 350 (can find hemis no prob though). Are they even still made? Any thoughts on where I might look to find one. I don't have a dusty old box of model parts in the garage. Lots of 1:1 parts (including said Chevy 350s) and boxes but no scale versions unfortunately... I just wish I could find a LSx in 1/10.
DMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 07:11 PM   #216
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrwannabe View Post
Thats awesome the detail on this thing is absolutly sick, I would one day like to get and make a scaler with even 1/8 th the detail you've done to this one. Builds like this inspire me to go work on my rigs but I have just bairly started collecting items for any sort of scaler project. Also the toyota builds are all so cool im gonna have to get a hilux or bruiser one day when i can afford it
Thanks Man - You know, Clampy started out as a pile of parts too.. I started playing around with styrene YEARS ago...the more i worked with the stuff, the better I became at building with it...Practice makes perfect...Get out there and start building..!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chino63 View Post
Damn, I love this build! can't wait to see more pictures!!!
Thanks Bro.., wait till you guys see whats in store NEXT for Clampy..!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMC View Post
You've got some serious skills, attention to detail and considerable patience!

I've been looking for what seems to be the ever elusive Parma Chevy 350 (can find hemis no prob though). Are they even still made? Any thoughts on where I might look to find one. I don't have a dusty old box of model parts in the garage. Lots of 1:1 parts (including said Chevy 350s) and boxes but no scale versions unfortunately... I just wish I could find a LSx in 1/10.
Thanks - Yes, patience is a MUST for building something like this...Very complicated, and VERY time consuming..!! But worth every minute in the end, if it crawls as good as it looks..

As far as the scale motors, not 100% sure if they're still made or not.. I got lucky when I found the one I used in a spare parts box.. I have seen them for sale on E-bay, here and there, but they're rare....My only advice is keep checking on there, OR put up an ad in the "wanted" section..
Old 11-05-2008, 07:20 PM   #217
RCC Addict

No pics to show, but got more done on the ole Clampster tonight.. I had to add more styrene to the front leading edge of the hood ( it wasn't high enough) and then I had to add bondo to fill in all the seams, and then the great fun of sanding started.. It came out cool though, looks just like the real 1:1....Also filled in the holes in the lower rocker panels, and filled in the "vents" on the rear "B" pillars of the "hilux" body, turning it into a mid 80's vintage cab just like the real deal..! One thing I did before i even started this build was came up with the actual O.D. paint that was used on the real 1:1.. ( same brand, and color upc#) I sprayed the hood as a "test" panel just to see what it would look like Olive Drab Green....All I can say is... Stay Tuned, Pics will be up in a bit...
Old 11-05-2008, 07:36 PM   #218
RCC Addict

OH MAN!!!! I LOVE this build!!! 51, ALL your scale builds continue to impress me, I LOVE the new hood, it definatly looks a LOT better!! the details you are doing is AMAZING!!!
Going Up! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 11:16 PM   #219
Rock Stacker

This thread is the one that made me have to build a Yota for my first build. Your work is amazing and I can only hope mine comes out 1/10th as good. Thank you very much for the inspiration!
atr3yu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 06:11 PM   #220
RCC Addict

Default Progress Pics..

Hey Guys, just some quick progress pics from the past couple nights....

Heres the first layer of bondo on the nose of the hood....just by adding this small detail made a HUGE diffrence..!

Next up a skim coat of filler..

then a "quick" sanding and coat of primer.....

Then for the hell of it, I sprayed the hood with the "Correct" Olive Drab green , the same exact paint UPC used on the real 1:1....just so see how its gonna look..!!

Heres tonights progress.., notice the changes in the "B" pillar compared to the stock Hilux cab....All the stock holes were filled in..You can't really make it out in the pic, but the rear edge of the drip edge was sanded off, and the then filler panel was added below it.. ( just like the 1:1)

Another view compared to a stock Hilux Cab..

And heres the cab re-mounted up to the chassis.., Its starting to look more and more like the real thing...!

There will be more changes made to the front end this weekend... hope everybody's enjoying the build so far..!!!

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/1-9-scale-rigs/130383-project-clampy-1-9-scale-yota-build.html
Posted By For Type Date
clampy ,, but only a 1/10 of the size - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum This thread Refback 02-17-2013 08:45 AM