Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: MONGO - built specifically to steal exotic cars off a speeding train

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2011, 10:18 PM   #121
Looking for new Trails

Default Re: MONGO - built specifically to steal exotic cars off a speeding train

Wow that thing is coming along nice and smooth.. very nice work...
yoda@4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-2011, 07:49 AM   #122
20K Club

Getting closer!
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 08:07 AM   #123
Rock Crawler

Default Re: MONGO - built specifically to steal exotic cars off a speeding train

Subscribed. Awesome work
dstrbd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 02:45 AM   #124

Wow, absolutely incredible work. This is the kind of thing that got me to try my hand at these scale trucks. I can really appreciate your tube work, after building a couple 1:1 drag chassis's I know what it's like to notch tubing. Your build is quite impressive to say the least.

Paul.
ParacordPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 08:36 PM   #125
Rock Crawler

thanks guys!

So in order for the interior to be easily accessible the cab has to be removable from the frame. So the initial solution is to have it hinge forward via a pivot point near the front bumper area. Therefore here goes some more machining. This hinge component is in two halves and when bolted together it will capture a part of the tube cab.

Here it is assembled with the cab and sitting on the frame. The back of the hinge will eventually be bolted to the frame cross member.

At this point it should be obvious that I am somewhat deviating from the real Mongo. Such compromise are essential to make this a user friendly rig. Though I am trying my best to make any alterations "realistic". Case in point is this new component. Instead of making a simple block that serves as the hinge, I have attempted to mask this hinge by integrating details such as the two tow points and light mount (middle tab). So though such a part does not exist on the movie car I hope it does not take too much away from the overall look.
prifral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 09:37 PM   #126
RCC Addict

i really dont know what to say....im effin spechless!
ser3100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 12:28 AM   #127
Pebble Pounder

Just read through this thread and I am blown away! Great job on everything! You shouldn't worry about deviating from the original look, it still looks pretty rad!!!!
profsrkos2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 01:32 AM   #128
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by prifral View Post

At this point it should be obvious that I am somewhat deviating from the real Mongo...So though such a part does not exist on the movie car I hope it does not take too much away from the overall look.
As long as it does a wicked burn out like the 1:1 I'll be happy. INSANE work so far. Piece of art right there. Very...very nice work. (And don't show/sell anyone your bender. Let 'em figure it out for themselves) This hobby has lost its tricks of the trade. Everyone wants to take a shortcut...(Rant over)
ColquittCustom405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 04:40 AM   #129

That is some beautiful work. period
FAT49F1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 04:57 AM   #130
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColquittCustom405 View Post
As long as it does a wicked burn out like the 1:1 I'll be happy. INSANE work so far. Piece of art right there. Very...very nice work. (And don't show/sell anyone your bender. Let 'em figure it out for themselves) This hobby has lost its tricks of the trade. Everyone wants to take a shortcut...(Rant over)
pics of your bender?...i thought it was done by hand... jk... nice tube bendin and brazing
brandonwalsh420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 05:01 AM   #131
Pebble Pounder

Impressive ;)
eFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 05:13 AM   #132
Rock Crawler

Default Cab Access

Cab hinge, I think is an improvement over the original. I see nothing wrong with that.
I know I speak for myself and maybe others, but these builds are two things:
Temporarily quenching our need to build something and also fueling our motivation to build.
Coming up with a better way or new way (hinge) to build something brings even greater satisfaction.
Keep doing what you're doing.
Modbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 01:30 PM   #133
Rock Crawler

cab rear mount..

steel plates sandwiched by aluminum frame mounts

next is further triangulation in this area as well as the ladder to get onto the roof
Old 01-05-2012, 02:16 PM   #134
RCC Addict

Looks good man. Im assuming that u rotate the latches back to release? Have u thought of connecting them so u could lift on leaver to rotate both of them? Just seems like t would be a little easier. But it looks phenomenal man really like that bumper/hinge point.
adamargue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 05:31 PM   #135
I wanna be Dave

nothing new to say just wanted to chear you on a bit!!!WOOO HOO!!!
rcjeepbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 07:34 PM   #136
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamargue View Post
Looks good man. Im assuming that u rotate the latches back to release? Have u thought of connecting them so u could lift on leaver to rotate both of them? Just seems like t would be a little easier. But it looks phenomenal man really like that bumper/hinge point.
In the previous pics the parts were actually just dry fitted. The metal plate is to be brazed to the tube work. So to disconnect the rear of the cab from the frame the two bolts must be removed. The following photos show it all brazed together as well as an addition of a ladder for roof access.

Old 01-05-2012, 08:32 PM   #137

Amazing work so far!!
Crawlink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 08:37 PM   #138
Pebble Pounder

Man prifral, that thing is just pure awesome!
RC-Hopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 09:02 PM   #139
Rock Crawler

Wow, just wow! That is pure art!
Knytemare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 10:49 PM   #140
I wanna be Dave

I love watching novice builders hack their way through a build. Talk about a bunch of wasted brakeline! I am so damned impressed with your precision, I can't even think. This build is beyond amazing. Where are you located in SD? I'd love to stop by and kneel down in front of this creation.
Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/1-9-scale-rigs/332988-mongo-built-specifically-steal-exotic-cars-off-speeding-train.html
Posted By For Type Date
TIMBERJACK 480B DEBUSQUEUR This thread Refback 03-01-2013 05:51 AM
"Mongo" - page 3 This thread Refback 03-01-2013 03:38 AM
RCFansÒ£¿ØÃÔ|RCFansÂÛ̳ - Powered by Discuz! This thread Refback 02-17-2013 08:33 AM