Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > 1.9 Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: MONGO - built specifically to steal exotic cars off a speeding train

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2012, 07:42 PM   #161
Rock Crawler

Default Re: MONGO - built specifically to steal exotic cars off a speeding train

Quote:
Originally Posted by billzkustomz View Post
you arent stealing any of my cars with that :p
If its on a train and its exotic then consider it stolen

Not much fabrication going on. Been doing drawings/calculations on paper for the next stage of this build: hydraulic steering. Right now the idea is to have a master/slave setup that is actuated by a servo. Im sourcing a hydraulic pump also but my guess right now is when I get my hands on one it will be too bulky and heavy. Also power consumption might be an issue. We'll see. For now with the M/S setup I'm aiming for about 2:1 ratio but this may change depending on the size/space limitations. With all the measurements somewhat figured out I stared building the slave cylinder. This is the piston and rod so far. Stainless and brass with a couple of nitrile o-rings.

Mocked up against the axle.
prifral is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-2012, 08:51 PM   #162
Suck it up!

Default Re: MONGO - built specifically to steal exotic cars off a speeding train

Man I hope you make that work. At some point somebody's got to come up with a reasonable hydraulic steering...
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 09:57 PM   #163
Quarry Creeper

You do realize that when you invent the 1/10 scale hydraulic steering system you're going to have to patten it and make your million dollars and then share it with us fellows on RCC right?
arctichorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 10:32 PM   #164
Pebble Pounder

And,we have the gun building the prototype hydraulic steering...

Credit Card ready
Peli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 11:15 PM   #165
Rock Crawler

The technology and pieces are already here. Just how much do you want to pay for them? There is a link somewhere in this thread for some pretty expensive hydraulic parts.

Grapple/Boom Truck (VIDEO's)
dstrbd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 10:52 PM   #166

your machining work leaves me speachless.. i cant wait to see this thing in action... you definatley have to do a couple of the jump scenes off of the movie..
ponderj50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 06:54 AM   #167

That thing definitely caught my attention in Fast Five. I just never imagined that I would see an rc version of it. Especially one this cool!
AbstractZen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 02:10 PM   #168
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstrbd1 View Post
The technology and pieces are already here. Just how much do you want to pay for them? There is a link somewhere in this thread for some pretty expensive hydraulic parts.

Grapple/Boom Truck (VIDEO's)
Yup hydro technology is definitely out there GardenTrucking is one place amongst many others that offer a full line of hydro setups. Im just going about it the tedious way because I like to make as much of the component of this build myself as possible and this route affords me of not being confined to certain measurements. Plus the hydro setups/applications aforementioned are not as weight conscious since scale earth movers actually profit from the added weight. Crawlers on the other hand targets the other end of the weight spectrum.

Progress on the slave...

Cylinder and end cap are aluminum. The ID will eventually be polished to a mirror finish to promote good seal for the piston rings.

The end caps will eventually undergo some finish turnings as well as reducing the end wall thickness for more ram clearance. Next is to drill/tap some inlets and check the volume/travel with some liquid
Old 01-22-2012, 05:38 PM   #169
Pebble Pounder

bad. ass.
Nick Slemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 12:02 AM   #170
I wanna be Dave

Amazing as usual. Homemade. Major points for your ambition.
Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 01:41 PM   #171
Rock Crawler

short update. new rod made of heat treated 0-1 steel w/more realistic threaded ends. cylinder clamps are made of 7075 - the closer one is pretty much done, the one in the rear needs to be slit and threaded.
Old 01-31-2012, 03:25 PM   #172
RCC Addict

Nice man, very impressive.
ScaleFreak93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 03:48 PM   #173
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaleFreak93 View Post
Nice man, very impressive.
Thanks!

Btw the cylinder and end caps are stainless now(foreground) - more durable than the aluminum version(background)
Old 01-31-2012, 05:14 PM   #174
RCC Addict

Nice work.. you got some skillz
Die-Laughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 06:03 PM   #175

Do you have a picture of what you are doing your machine work on?
Your skills are killer
Only having spent time myself attempting quality tube joints, I know and appreciate your perfect fitments.
THX_138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 06:23 PM   #176
Pebble Pounder

Good LORD this thing is just sick
jsu101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 09:49 PM   #177
Pebble Pounder

Incredible work!! how are you going to anchor the piston to the rod to keep it from sliding?
RC-Hopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 10:21 PM   #178
RCC Addict

I've followed this from the beginning so don't thank me, I should thank you for bringing such an awesome piece to existance and showing us!
ScaleFreak93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 02:47 PM   #179
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC-Hopper View Post
Incredible work!! how are you going to anchor the piston to the rod to keep it from sliding?
The piston ID was machined small so it could be pressed onto the rod. The fit is really tight - takes quite a bit to press it into place with an 2 ton arbor press so I hope its tight enough to not need pinning or c-clips.

So I filled the system with some water(easier to clean up than oil should it leak) and cycled it to check travel, o-ring drag and just to see it move so here's a short clip of the first test. Overall worked well. The water near the seal closest to the camera is just because the rod is wet - not because the seal is leaking.

Next is to mount it onto the axle

Last edited by prifral; 02-02-2012 at 02:50 PM.
Old 02-02-2012, 02:55 PM   #180
Rock Crawler

That's awesome! Can't wait to see it mounted up!
cbp27 is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/1-9-scale-rigs/332988-mongo-built-specifically-steal-exotic-cars-off-speeding-train.html
Posted By For Type Date
TIMBERJACK 480B DEBUSQUEUR This thread Refback 03-01-2013 05:51 AM
"Mongo" - page 3 This thread Refback 03-01-2013 03:38 AM
RCFansÒ£¿ØÃÔ|RCFansÂÛ̳ - Powered by Discuz! This thread Refback 02-17-2013 08:33 AM