Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: AX10 Class 3 scaler Bronco build, cont'd

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2012, 09:00 PM   #181
Rock Crawler

Default Re: AX10 Class 3 scaler Bronco build, cont'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Soldier View Post
Today I think I proved my build skills. Only 1 of the 3 rigs I built and drove today broke. And the break was just a sheared pin that was quickly and easily fixed.
Agreed.
Josh_Br is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-2012, 10:33 AM   #182
Rock Crawler

It was too bad that this was your first test with your rig Josh. It handled amazingly. You just had a couple tough breaks with it.

Ryan I will give you props for being the only one to not break something big, but you did break the hex pin. i only broke in my tranny. The rest of my rig held up
avanord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 01:53 PM   #183
Rock Crawler

I resolve to refine and re-test my Bronco BEFORE (not during) the next comp!

After the comp, when I had the front driveshaft totally removed, I drove it around on the floor in 2wd, just for fun. I noticed that when I turned enough to stuff the tires into the rear area of the front fenderwells, the rear tires would spin out and it just wouldn't move. This leads me to think that there is a high degree of tire rub going on back there, and I think it's too much for the driveshaft to handle, along with the weight on the front wheels. Need to do some trimming.
Old 10-29-2012, 02:36 PM   #184
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanord View Post
It was too bad that this was your first test with your rig Josh. It handled amazingly. You just had a couple tough breaks with it.

Ryan I will give you props for being the only one to not break something big, but you did break the hex pin. i only broke in my tranny. The rest of my rig held up
I have new piano wire for pins so that wouldn't happen again. I guess gobs of 3s power into brushless just has to break something. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh_Br View Post
I resolve to refine and re-test my Bronco BEFORE (not during) the next comp!

After the comp, when I had the front driveshaft totally removed, I drove it around on the floor in 2wd, just for fun. I noticed that when I turned enough to stuff the tires into the rear area of the front fenderwells, the rear tires would spin out and it just wouldn't move. This leads me to think that there is a high degree of tire rub going on back there, and I think it's too much for the driveshaft to handle, along with the weight on the front wheels. Need to do some trimming.
You have what? 10oz in those front wheels right? And you don't run CVDs. Ummmm...... Yeah. Shafts are going to come apart.
Tin Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:49 AM   #185
Rock Crawler

I've been trimming some of the center lugs from the tires this week. Almost done, then I think I'll go down to 8 oz. on each front wheel. That's what I intended originally....but miscounted
Old 11-24-2012, 07:46 PM   #186
Rock Crawler

My LHS had another scaler comp today. Comp # 2 in a 6 part winter series. We ran three courses in class 3, and there were four drivers. The Bronco took first overall

One thing I might like to tweak before the next one is lighter shock oil. They're running 55 wt now, and sometimes seem a little slow. I think the tweaks I made between comp 1 and comp 2 were a good thing and seemed to make a difference in better climbing/traction, and reduced front tire rub.
Old 11-25-2012, 07:06 AM   #187
RCC Addict

You ran amazing today! I ended up frustrated when I rolled three times in the same spot.

Keep up the good work buddy.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
Old 11-25-2012, 11:36 AM   #188
Rock Crawler

Thanks man!
Old 12-14-2012, 02:47 PM   #189
Rock Crawler

Logan finally got a friend to ride along. He's a wrestler action figure from the Dollar Tree.

I think their expressions are funny:

The third comp of the winter series at my LHS is tomorrow. There are six total. Looking forward to it, and seeing how differently the truck behaves with the lighter weight shock oil. I swapped out the 55 wt for 35 wt since the last comp.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:49 AM   #190
Rock Crawler

Had another comp this past Saturday. Things were rougher than normal....I got third out of four drivers. I might've done a little better, had my winch line not broke part way through the first course. I repaired it before the second course, but the lack of winch kept me from finishing the first course and I timed out (10 min), or at least I think it did. I was getting a little low on time at that point, so maybe there wasn't time to winch anyhow....I don't remember. It was still fun. A new guy showed up with some very nice rigs. He's not new to the RC scene, just new to my LHS rock pile. His class 3 rig has rear steer, and he tore up the first course in 5-6 minutes! I've been thinking about adding rear steer for a few months now. Seeing how well it worked out for this guy has convinced me. So I think that is what's next.
Old 12-17-2012, 02:53 PM   #191
RCC Addict

That means upgrading to a 4 channel radio. I think I'm ready for one too.

-------
- sent using my phone

Online documentary and other rc videos - http://youtube.com/rcornmesser
Old 12-17-2012, 03:11 PM   #192
Rock Crawler

Yeah, I've been researching Fly Sky's today. Might be able to sell my Spektrum gear and about break even
Old 12-17-2012, 04:28 PM   #193
RCC Addict

Yep. I have like 8 or 9 spektrum rx and 3 tx. might just get the new 4 Chan and be done with it.

-------
- sent using my phone

Old 12-18-2012, 07:04 AM   #194
Rock Crawler

Another option to free up the third channel on my radio is to use a winch controller for the servo winch. You just remove the circuit board from the servo winch and wire the controller right to the winch motor. They're $18 from tcscrawlers.com. This project is still very much in the thought and research process at the moment.

Rather than changing my rear axle from straight outputs to steering outputs, I was wanting to get an entire steering axle assembly. I've been thinking of building a trailer for my class 2 Hilux and could use the straight output axle there. So I found a steering axle with a few aluminum parts on eBay for $65 and a servo with decent torque for $37. So the whole project would cost $120, but that would also get me started on the trailer too. Just trying to figure out if it's worth it right now for me or not.....not that it wouldn't be cool! ;)
Old 12-18-2012, 07:23 AM   #195
Rock Crawler

You could do DIG for alot cheaper and I feel that it is easier to control. With 4ws there is alot going on. I set mine up that way once, and immediately decided dig was the way to go. It is really hard to remember what your rear wheels are doing while climbing. I noticed that Goldwing had trouble remembering to set his rear steering back to neutral a few times. With dig your tires always move in the intended direction. You might be dragging them, but at least they are not pulling your truck to one side.

My opinion.
avanord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 07:27 AM   #196
Rock Crawler

Like I tell Ryan, thanks for sharing your opinion...it's just that your opinion's wrong.

Totally joking -- thanks for your input man. I appreciate you guys sharing your thoughts and ideas!
Old 12-18-2012, 05:34 PM   #197
RCC Addict

Like I said before. I have a steering axle that I would trade for a straight axle. i have a servo also.

-------
- sent using my phone

Old 12-18-2012, 05:37 PM   #198
RCC Addict

I also prefer dig. I like hanging of a rock by rear wheels. but with practice rear steer can get you around more obstacles and out of more jams then dig can.

-------
- sent using my phone

Old 12-18-2012, 05:38 PM   #199
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh_Br View Post
Like I tell Ryan, thanks for sharing your opinion...it's just that your opinion's wrong.

Totally joking -- thanks for your input man. I appreciate you guys sharing your thoughts and ideas!
And boy am I ever opinionated.

And mostly wrong.

-------
- sent using my phone

Old 12-18-2012, 05:43 PM   #200
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Soldier View Post
Like I said before. I have a steering axle that I would trade for a straight axle. i have a servo also.

-------
- sent using my phone

Online documentary and other rc videos - Ryan Cornmesser - YouTube
Are the hubs and knuckles aluminum or plastic?

Thanks

AX10 Class 3 scaler Bronco build, cont'd - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LNC class 2 scaler build thread Josh_Br Team Losi Comp Crawler 78 03-27-2014 08:49 AM
RCROCIN's Class 3 Bronco Build RCROCIN' 2.2 Scale Rigs 24 07-17-2012 01:59 PM
PinchFlat's Reign Labs Bronco Class-2 / Trail Build PinchFlat 1.9 Scale Rigs 84 03-20-2011 12:39 AM
Bronco 2.2 Scaler X trail chassis build crawlbe4youwalk 2.2 Scale Rigs 20 10-09-2008 12:42 AM
DTrail12 C-Channel Scaler build... 'The New Bronco' Cake Eater 2.2 Scale Rigs 44 10-29-2006 03:57 PM