Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Axial AX-10 Scorpion

Notices

Thread: AX10 Class 3 scaler Bronco build, cont'd

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2012, 05:46 PM   #161
Rock Crawler

Default Re: AX10 Class 3 scaler Bronco build, cont'd

Aw, thanks for supporting my steering wheel! Man, if anyone know's that about crawlers, it is you. Is there much Ridgecrest left of your Ridgecrest by now?
Josh_Br is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-2012, 06:36 AM   #162
Rock Crawler

Last night I mounted the electronics. The Rx and ESC are attached to the firewall. The battery goes on a tray that is above the CMS, and the winch cable goes under the tray. I had to turn it on and drive it for a minute. It went right up the windshield of our Grand Cherokee without any quams. Not sure what kind of gauge that is, but it was fun just to see it move.

I also finished putting silicone on the inside of the fender flares last night, put the tail light stickers on the body, and measured for sliders. Unless something unexpected happens, I think it'll be ready for the comp next Saturday.
Old 10-19-2012, 09:07 AM   #163
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh_Br View Post
Last night I mounted the electronics. The Rx and ESC are attached to the firewall. The battery goes on a tray that is above the CMS, and the winch cable goes under the tray. I had to turn it on and drive it for a minute. It went right up the windshield of our Grand Cherokee without any quams. Not sure what kind of gauge that is, but it was fun just to see it move.

I also finished putting silicone on the inside of the fender flares last night, put the tail light stickers on the body, and measured for sliders. Unless something unexpected happens, I think it'll be ready for the comp next Saturday.

Sweet I am ready to see it in action. Alot has changed to this truck since the last time I saw it. you also have about a million more scale points than I do.
avanord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 11:11 AM   #164
Pebble Pounder

Don't forget to get some video of it..
NewboySF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 11:47 AM   #165
Rock Crawler

Ok, can do.
Old 10-19-2012, 08:43 PM   #166
I wanna be Dave

Exelent build man, been watching for a while now.
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 10:44 PM   #167
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Soldier View Post
NIce work. Have you seen Keyston RC forums. It's blowing up with everyone in a frantic rush to add scale points. I got Eli's Hummer sitting at -37 now. Where's this one fall in points wise?
I hate to break it to you, but building a scaler is way more than adding up points. In the end it doesn't matter what your score is, its how well you actually built the thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C*H*U*D View Post
And that steering wheel is perfect for Wolverine!
Its like he carved it out of billet all by himself!
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 06:49 PM   #168
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonleycreeper View Post
Exelent build man, been watching for a while now.
Thanks man, appreciate it
Old 10-20-2012, 07:05 PM   #169
Rock Crawler

Here's a shot of the electronics mounted. The servo winch cable runs under the battery tray. The tray doesn't sit on the cable, there is around 1/4" of space under the tray. For the winch cable, it's straight shot from the winch servo towards the front of the truck with this set up. The only sketchy thing is that the cable slides down over the side of the steering servo on it's way to the fairlead. It's plastic where the cable contacts that servo, so I don't think it'll snag the cable. I tested it a little and don't think it'll be an issue. There's only so much room to squeeze all that stuff in....

Name:  DSC_0037.JPG
Views: 520
Size:  158.6 KB

I wanted to get a couple shots of the truck with my "nice camera":

Name:  DSC_0036.JPG
Views: 535
Size:  150.4 KB

Name:  DSC_0038.JPG
Views: 524
Size:  157.3 KB

Name:  DSC_0039.JPG
Views: 516
Size:  153.1 KB

I'd say it has average flex for a scaler. Enough to do the job.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:38 AM   #170
Rock Crawler

I drove the truck last night a little for the first time since putting it back together. I don't have much yard; I just drove it back and forth over the curb at different heights. It drove well. I have two thoughts:

1) It tipped over sideways onto the roof easier than expected when I was driving up onto the curb at an angle. It might have something to do with 10 oz. on each front wheel, BUT once I knew to expect it I changed my driving and all was well. I don't think it's a problem, but it did catch me off guard.

2) The negative departure angle is stinking cool!! I know the rig can tip over backward easier when climbing without something to catch it, but it was really sweet reversing up to the curb, then climbing straight up it. I might lose the stinger on the front so the front can have a negative approach angle. Very fun
Old 10-24-2012, 05:48 PM   #171
Rock Crawler

Soft top!

I cut some material from a tent bag to use for a soft top. I tried to sew it around the cage myself, but ended up feeling like Fred Flinstone, so my awesome wife sewed it for me.....but not until she referred to Wolverine as a "doll".

Name:  DSC_0014.JPG
Views: 502
Size:  152.9 KB

Name:  DSC_0015.JPG
Views: 488
Size:  138.7 KB

Name:  DSC_0016.JPG
Views: 495
Size:  166.8 KB
Old 10-24-2012, 08:16 PM   #172
RCC Addict

Your wife is awesome! It looks great.
Tin Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:41 PM   #173
Pebble Pounder

that's one cool looking scaler/comp truck man. I wish I'll have enough patience(and skill) to build all that kind of stuff. thumbs up, we need a video of that comp this week-end
benster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:49 PM   #174
Rock Crawler

Thanks guys! It has definitely taken patience. It's really been a one-step-at-a-time thing. I will try hard to get video this weekend.

Tonight, I went to the garage and did a couple more things to get it ready. I removed the stinger and I moved the front bumper back a notch. Now the front tires will hit a rock before the bumper or the fairlead. I also shortened the tie rod slightly. I had too much toe-out. Now I just have a little. Also....charged the battery and its ready to go!
Old 10-24-2012, 09:04 PM   #175
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by benster View Post
that's one cool looking scaler/comp truck man. I wish I'll have enough patience(and skill) to build all that kind of stuff. thumbs up, we need a video of that comp this week-end
Look up rcornmesser on youtube. I have videos of almost all our comps. And the Life of an RC Addict series. Subscribe to catch all the action. I will try to get some good footage of this truck.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
Old 10-25-2012, 05:18 AM   #176
Rock Crawler

Everything is looking good Josh. The soft top really adds to the look of the truck. I love the diff gear steering wheel. That is something I would have never thought to use. Do you think you are going to miss the functionality of the stinger? I know that it has saved several forward rolls in the past.
avanord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 06:45 AM   #177
Rock Crawler

I do recall the stinger saving me on a steep decline where I was about to flip over forward. I'll just have to be quick on the throttle I suppose. I'm excited to have tire meet the rocks first instead of the stinger....It probably just depends on the specific obstacle which setup is better.
Old 10-27-2012, 05:49 PM   #178
Rock Crawler

Well, today was the day of the first scaler competition at my LHS. It's a series that will run all winter. I competed in class 2 with a SCX10 Hilux and in class 3 with the Bronco. There were several people running in class 2, but only three of us in class 3. We ran two courses in each class. Overall in class 3 I finished second. All three rigs running in class 3 suffered carnage. I fried the servo for my servo winch, and my front driveshaft popped off three times. I had trouble with it before; I think it was getting weak. But up until that point, things were going really well! I'm happy with how the truck drove; it drove very well. I do want to trim the bottom rear of the front wheel wells, as the tires rubbed way too much there. Here's a video: 10 27 12 Bronco movie - YouTube
Old 10-27-2012, 07:35 PM   #179
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
I hate to break it to you, but building a scaler is way more than adding up points. In the end it doesn't matter what your score is, its how well you actually built the thing.

Today I think I proved my build skills. Only 1 of the 3 rigs I built and drove today broke. And the break was just a sheared pin that was quickly and easily fixed.

But that is off the topic of this thread.
Old 10-27-2012, 07:37 PM   #180
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh_Br View Post
Well, today was the day of the first scaler competition at my LHS. It's a series that will run all winter. I competed in class 2 with a SCX10 Hilux and in class 3 with the Bronco. There were several people running in class 2, but only three of us in class 3. We ran two courses in each class. Overall in class 3 I finished second. All three rigs running in class 3 suffered carnage. I fried the servo for my servo winch, and my front driveshaft popped off three times. I had trouble with it before; I think it was getting weak. But up until that point, things were going really well! I'm happy with how the truck drove; it drove very well. I do want to trim the bottom rear of the front wheel wells, as the tires rubbed way too much there. Here's a video: 10 27 12 Bronco movie - YouTube
If you hadn't had so much break, you probably would have beaten me pretty bad. :-) Look into the axial cvd drive shafts. Hold up better then the yoke kind. MIPs are worth every penny. :-)

AX10 Class 3 scaler Bronco build, cont'd - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LNC class 2 scaler build thread Josh_Br Team Losi Comp Crawler 78 03-27-2014 08:49 AM
RCROCIN's Class 3 Bronco Build RCROCIN' 2.2 Scale Rigs 24 07-17-2012 01:59 PM
PinchFlat's Reign Labs Bronco Class-2 / Trail Build PinchFlat 1.9 Scale Rigs 84 03-20-2011 12:39 AM
Bronco 2.2 Scaler X trail chassis build crawlbe4youwalk 2.2 Scale Rigs 20 10-09-2008 12:42 AM
DTrail12 C-Channel Scaler build... 'The New Bronco' Cake Eater 2.2 Scale Rigs 44 10-29-2006 03:57 PM