Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Capra

Notices

Thread: What’d you do with your goat today?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2020, 02:33 PM   #221
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: What’d you do with your goat today?

Today was a day of a LOT of Dremel work, as I started the pre-production stages of CAPbRAstard, my 4WS Capra.

First, I temporarily installed the two front axle housings, with servos attached, to figure out what mods needed to be done on the cage-frame.
Then, I took the Dremel to the plastic, and removed what needed to be removed.
Granted, the cage-frame is far from finished. For one thing, I haven't smoothed out the Dremel work, yet, plus I'm waiting on delivery of a 3Dh printed cage piece. In the meantime, after being sick for over a week, and not getting any work done on anything k including the house) a is time to get back to work on Project Predator, my Rustler 4x4 project.

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-2020, 11:15 PM   #222
RCC Addict

Really interested to see the progress on this ^^^. My wife and I have both been sick as well... only took her down for about 4 days although she seemed considerably worse than I was. Took me much longer to completely shake it but symptoms weren't as severe.

Finally hit the dirt with mine. I would've rather gotten her onto some rocks instead but at least I was able to get a feel for how she handles. Haven't yet used the dig unit but I really like this rig so far.

high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 01:36 PM   #223
I wanna be Dave

Finally found time between all my other projects on the bench to go back and install my Vitavon brass portal covers. (bearings went right in for me). I also added some brass beef-tips for the shock ends, hit it all with brass black.

Maybe one day the weather around here will cooperate enough to actually get out for a real shake-down.
mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 07:52 PM   #224
Rock Stacker

Ordered the Vanquish rear axle shafts, and portal stubs. Wonder if they’ll release front axle shafts soon?
01tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 08:42 PM   #225
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
Today was a day of a LOT of Dremel work, as I started the pre-production stages of CAPbRAstard, my 4WS Capra.

First, I temporarily installed the two front axle housings, with servos attached, to figure out what mods needed to be done on the cage-frame.
Then, I took the Dremel to the plastic, and removed what needed to be removed.
Granted, the cage-frame is far from finished. For one thing, I haven't smoothed out the Dremel work, yet, plus I'm waiting on delivery of a 3Dh printed cage piece. In the meantime, after being sick for over a week, and not getting any work done on anything k including the house) a is time to get back to work on Project Predator, my Rustler 4x4 project.

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
What is the red and blue box in the rear? Dremel? Sheet metal snips and a bastard file makes child's play on chassis mods, no heat involved in the process. Also, I tried the side panel setup you were wanting to run and should look pretty cool. Being sick sucks, I've had my fair share of that as well this season.
MAC FAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 11:18 PM   #226
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC FAB View Post
What is the red and blue box in the rear? Dremel? Sheet metal snips and a bastard file makes child's play on chassis mods, no heat involved in the process. Also, I tried the side panel setup you were wanting to run and should look pretty cool. Being sick sucks, I've had my fair share of that as well this season.
The "red & blue box" is a replacement fuel cell...tho, it'll be painted, so the red & blue won't appear as it currently does. As for the Dremel, I don't have 'metal snips', or a 'bastard file'. Besides, I've become quite handy with the Dremel. Using the cutting disc, pieces needing to be removed are gone in seconds. Then, using other attachments, such as the grinding stone, sanding discs, router bits, etc, I can shape things.

If you've read any of my 'Project Predator' thread, the next update will include a part that's requiring a LOT of Dremel work. As for the side panels I was originally interested in, because of the replacement fuel cell, they wouldn't work...tho, all is not lost. I am still interested in side panels but the need to be the ones that cover the front sides & door areas, only...not the "full length" sides I had originally intended to get. The replacement fuel cell is accessed from the sides (via 4 screws on each side), and the "full length" panels would prevent access. I'll be in touch shortly about the size panels, but I need to first figure out a few other things.

This new Capra will be called 'CAPbRAstard', so be on the lookout for a build thread...tho, said thread probably won't begin until mid/late February, as I'm in the finishing stages of my first Rustler 4x4 project, 'Rusty-Frankie', and I'm also working on another vehicle, the previously-mentioned 'Project Predator'.

Old 01-30-2020, 07:01 PM   #227
I wanna be Dave

I fabbed up some aluminum panels for the goat today. Hood pictured here is basic, but I’m working on one with more dimension.

Trying to decide if I want to keep them raw, paint them, or wrap them.
Attached Images

Old 01-31-2020, 03:52 PM   #228
I wanna be Dave

So, I experimented with a wooden buck form that I made to try and add more dimension to the hood. Unfortunately, this gauge of material is just too thin to tolerate the hammering, shaping and bending. Plan B. - I ended up fabbing up this cowl to provide a little extra shape to that big, flat hood. I'm trying to determine if I want to paint the panels, wrap the panels, leave the panels raw and add some decals, or just leave the panels raw. Looking for feedback.
Attached Images

Old 01-31-2020, 04:20 PM   #229
I wanna be Dave

That cowl looks good actually. I like it. Paint it darker color(s) so that all the scratches will show through very well.
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 04:33 PM   #230
RCC Addict

Agree.. that hood looks awesome, Mr. Walsh!
high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 04:35 PM   #231
I wanna be Dave

Thanks guys! I was thinking flat or satin black on just the cowl?
Old 01-31-2020, 04:45 PM   #232
I wanna be Dave

The cowl looks really good. Kinda reminds me of the original Shelby Cobra 427's cowl, which was also bolted on.

Old 01-31-2020, 06:19 PM   #233
RCC Addict

Great work Walsh that looks awesome!
Barndog Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 07:55 PM   #234
I wanna be Dave

Thanks Barndog!
Old 02-02-2020, 07:05 PM   #235

woodcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 02:27 PM   #236
RCC Addict

I got some cool wraps from SOR Graphics and did up my panels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Barndog Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 02:34 PM   #237
I wanna be Dave

I dig that Topo pattern Barndog. Looks good!

Quick question - I just installed my Super Shafty upper link mount. Did anyone who already install this lengthen their upper links at all to compensate. Seems like it kicked the pinion angle down a decent bit, even using the lower of the two link mounting positions.
Old 02-06-2020, 03:23 PM   #238
Quarry Creeper

I lengthened (I think I spelled that right!) mine to lessen the angle. I don't think you have to go crazy with it though.
Lashlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 06:04 PM   #239
I wanna be Dave

Did you just run the rod-ends out a bit?
Old 02-07-2020, 08:21 AM   #240
Quarry Creeper

Yep!
Lashlee is offline   Reply With Quote

What’d you do with your goat today? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Goat 2s to 3s possible? Hoyta Electronics 1 06-10-2015 09:40 PM
Goat 2s help.... msd44 Electronics 10 03-12-2012 08:02 AM
Novak Goat Vs Novak Goat Ballistic?? k_r_a_c_k_e_r Electronics 3 02-19-2010 07:53 PM
new goat 3s redking Electronics 2 09-02-2009 11:13 AM