Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial RR10 Bomber

Notices

Thread: FFWF's Budget Bomber Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2016, 02:11 PM   #81
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: FFWF's Budget Bomber Build

Re-adjusted my rear upper links to correct the pinion angle, and then decided to spruce up the interior with some enamel paint! Here's 2 pics of how it's going!

Also slapped a few stickers back on the rig. Next plans will be ordering a 13 or 14t pinion gear to mesh with my new slipper, & re-installing the trans & drive shafts.

Really digging the shorter wheelbase, I absolutely cannot wait to try it out.

I was surprised how much better it looks with the interior detailed!

Last edited by F1GHTF1R3W1THF1Re.; 02-23-2016 at 03:27 PM.
F1GHTF1R3W1THF1Re. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-2016, 04:52 PM   #82
Rock Stacker

that paint job looks awesome .
trackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 05:30 PM   #83
I wanna be Dave

Are you using revo rod ends on the TH trailing arms? What's the wheel base now?
84yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 06:46 PM   #84
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84yoda View Post
Are you using revo rod ends on the TH trailing arms? What's the wheel base now?
Yep revo ends, right now I'm at 13.5" can't wait. Im going to have to bite the bullet and eventually buy a new set of wheels (although it's not in the budget) but I need to suck the wheels in a bit. I'm at 12.5 wide and would like to cut down about an .125-.187 per side without (hopefully) compromising too much performance. Stay tuned, I hate my steering links I want the servo behind the axle. Beef tubes, winch, rear truss, new wheels. new comp legal tires plus all that good fab stuff all to come!
Old 02-24-2016, 03:28 PM   #85
Quarry Creeper

Hey does anyone know what the final ratio of the stock rr10 trans, non 2-speed? Bought a 14t pinion, trying to calculate mph.
Old 02-24-2016, 03:33 PM   #86
RCC Addict

maslin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 08:30 AM   #87
Quarry Creeper

Ordered a .8 Mod Xtra Hard 14t Robinson Racing Pinion to go with my 56t Spur. With my split f/r gearing I just split the difference of the f/r and came up with 39.5/13.5=2.92 as my spilt differential gear ratio. Along with the trans final ratio of 1.94. Tires are 5.93". Punch that all in the online calculator & came up with 19.4 mph with a 0.83:1 roll-out on 3s.

Anyone have any input on that calculated predictions? Not sure how roll-out applies to crawlers but, is there a happy number to meet with it? If went with a 1:1 roll-out I'd be upwards of 35mph on 4s with serious heat issues I would assume, So I think I'm on the right end of the spectrum I hope?

Last edited by F1GHTF1R3W1THF1Re.; 02-25-2016 at 02:30 PM.
Old 02-26-2016, 01:08 PM   #88
I wanna be Dave

When you volt up, it actually makes everything run cooler. Volts don't create heat, amps do. With more volts you need less amps to do the same work. HTH
SCREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 02:27 PM   #89
Quarry Creeper

Been beating the literal s&$@ outta this thing as of lately, and unfortunately the paint is first to get bitched up.... Lucky, I don't really mind that... Anyways, I am absolutely in love with how this thing has transformed. shorter wheelbase, a taller tire, & a slight gearing change has turned this into a very capable crawler. My plans are always evolving, DLUX front truss or front beef tubes will be next.

As for now, here's what I'm workin with:

Last edited by F1GHTF1R3W1THF1Re.; 03-02-2016 at 02:31 PM.
Old 03-08-2016, 05:06 AM   #90
Quarry Creeper

More goodies are slowly showing up! Here's what I've managed to accomplish as of lately;

- Dlux full width front truss
- Trimmed & Flipped lower link mounts
- Non-leaky turd front Shocks
- New self made uppers links
- New self made steering links
- Servo now behind axle
- VP knuckle mod for high steer.

Pictures:

With the dlux truss & lower link/shock mounts flipped, it was required to fab longer upper links, to correct pinion angle. It also has pushed the front axle out about 1/2" which I am pretty excited to see the improvements.

Steering was a bit tricky, but it is so worth it. I am much more happy with how the steering links are tucked up closer/higher in relation to the axle.

Pinion angle looks great to me, am I right?

Now to wait for more parts to show up, so I can continue to pursuade this rig in the right direction. My wireless winch controller should be showing up any day now!
Old 03-08-2016, 08:11 AM   #91
I wanna be Dave

Looking real good man. I like how your rig is turning out and that wrap is really cool. Nice job on the new truss and steering setup. I've got a DLux front setup that's been partially installed for a while but I'm trying to find the right length set screws for the passenger side servo mount. I think mine fell out of the bag during shipment.
Old 03-08-2016, 12:51 PM   #92
Rock Crawler

Sick bomber build thread. I'm still following it! And will continue to do so as I'm picking one up myself at LHS Friday. Pretty pumped after looking at what you've done! F'n looks like I'm gonna nickel and dime my bank account to death.
rngrchad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 01:02 PM   #93
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCREAMER View Post
Looking real good man. I like how your rig is turning out and that wrap is really cool. Nice job on the new truss and steering setup. I've got a DLux front setup that's been partially installed for a while but I'm trying to find the right length set screws for the passenger side servo mount. I think mine fell out of the bag during shipment.
Thanks! It took some time, to install the truss. Luckily I had some longer set screws from some other build that I could grind down to work. They are a really tight tolerance there. You must have maximum thread engagement into each the standoff & the truss, without interfering with the other bolt holts/threads. I also ended up remaking the front upper links. I bent new ones with a double bend to bring the links in more parallel and reduce binding. they seem to be a lot smoother, no binding and great clearance! As you can see my servo horn is on it's way out.. i've been through 3 servo arm now, what do you all recommend for a strong servo arm?

Also mocking up the winch battery, still waiting on the wireless controller. Hopefully tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rngrchad View Post
Sick bomber build thread. I'm still following it! And will continue to do so as I'm picking one up myself at LHS Friday. Pretty pumped after looking at what you've done! F'n looks like I'm gonna nickel and dime my bank account to death.
Thanks man, it's been a blast so far!

Last edited by F1GHTF1R3W1THF1Re.; 03-08-2016 at 01:07 PM.
Old 03-08-2016, 01:30 PM   #94
I wanna be Dave

The Axial servo horns are thick and strong and double clamping. Racers edge if you need something a bit thinner and less bulky but still double clamping. I run both and they're both great.
Old 03-09-2016, 02:44 PM   #95
Quarry Creeper

Got a few minutes to play with the winch today. Should have waited for my fair lead, ended up destroying the winch line on the sharps of the winch plate.... In good news, wireless winch is in working order!

Old 03-10-2016, 08:38 AM   #96
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Build looks great man! Thanks for the support!

For a servo horn, I hate clamping horns. Contrary to popular belief, they are actually quite a bit weaker in the spline area than non clamping.

I suggest a simple non clamping Hitec horn. Its a double but you simply cut one side off.

https://dluxfab.ecwid.com/#!/Hitec-5...orn/p/50117703

I am wondering if you will ever have a problem with your horns again now that the servo is in a better spot? It is much better protected where it is now.
Erik D_lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 08:45 AM   #97
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik D_lux View Post
Build looks great man! Thanks for the support!

For a servo horn, I hate clamping horns. Contrary to popular belief, they are actually quite a bit weaker in the spline area than non clamping.

I suggest a simple non clamping Hitec horn. Its a double but you simply cut one side off.

https://dluxfab.ecwid.com/#!/Hitec-5...orn/p/50117703

I am wondering if you will ever have a problem with your horns again now that the servo is in a better spot? It is much better protected where it is now.
I'm also not a fan of the clamping type, they are also on the larger side which looks untidy.

I use a Hudy horn, I use an offset one as I have my servo in the standard position, but a normal one would be good for how yours is mounted. Used the Hudy on my racing Blitz, then on my bomber and it still looks new (no bends) wheras a Answer racing one I had on my Ascender suffered a slight bend.

HUDY
ostewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 02:46 PM   #98
Rock Crawler

I like the way you setup the servo behind the axle. I'm not familiar with how that is done and was hoping you could point me in the right direction! What is needed?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
DowntownScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 05:26 PM   #99
I wanna be Dave

I know you know what you're talking about Erik but I just can't see how the non clamping horns are stronger. I've stripped every single non clamping servo horn I've used, plastic and aluminum, and since I switched to clamping style horns haven't had one failure. I even forgot to clamp one down all the way and it held strong until I noticed the screws had fallen out.
Old 03-10-2016, 05:52 PM   #100
Rock Crawler

I think your right SCREAMER. I've blown through so many servo horns it's not funny. As long as its kept tight a clamping horn can outlive a servo in my stuff.
terrible is offline   Reply With Quote

FFWF's Budget Bomber Build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rottenbellys bolt on bomber build. rottenbelly Axial RR10 Bomber 59 12-13-2016 02:30 PM
KurseD build: the Brass Bomber Budget Bucket KurseD RC4WD Trail Finder 2 15 05-26-2016 04:40 AM
802coma's Budget Bomber 802coma Axial RR10 Bomber 10 02-08-2016 07:42 PM
Budget bomber must do's ride1226 Axial RR10 Bomber 48 01-06-2016 07:36 PM
My Bomber build bredmx Axial RR10 Bomber 8 12-28-2015 11:51 AM