Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial RR10 Bomber

Notices

Thread: FFWF's Budget Bomber Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2016, 07:38 AM   #141
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: FFWF's Budget Bomber Build

^ That's the one. Super slippy, I love mine. Worked with the guy and we came up with a high clearance cross member/receiver box mount/winch plate mount that also moves those all upwards a tad higher.

Haven't had much time as the holidays, and work travels. I have installed rear shock relocation brackets which also pull the "fuel cell" closer towards the back of the seats. Looks awesome, and super functional. I've dialed my rear suspension fairly close I feel. I have a big electronics upgrade planned next, mamba x and possibly XL, as I said previously, I am still debating.

Hope everyone had a great holiday!
F1GHTF1R3W1THF1Re. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-26-2016, 09:01 AM   #142
Rock Crawler

Hey, not sure if you have a punch control option on that esc. I only use HH stuff. Have you tried turning on say 10% punch control? Might eliminate the long pause. I have had to deal with that same thing as well. the Punch Control fixed it for me.

Great build you got here FFWF.
rngrchad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 01:12 PM   #143
Quarry Creeper

Here's a quick photo I took this morning. Just flew in again from Texas, hopefully I'll be home long enough to have some time to crawl!

Old 01-02-2017, 12:52 PM   #144
Quarry Creeper

Had a blast today, wish it wasn't wet conditions but I was still pleased with how well it crawled.

Old 01-03-2017, 06:16 AM   #145
Quarry Creeper

It's time to annouce Stage 3 is currently underway...

I've yanked the entire driveline. Motor, Trans, ESC are gone. I had to move the parts in order to justify buying new. I am not 100% set on a motor yet, hoping for some opinions! What I do know is I'm going with a built wraith trans. Bomber trans is bulky and takes up too much room for my liking. Which means that fancy high clearance skid I just bought is also no use to me. As far as the ESC goes, that new 1/10 Castle Mamba X looks like a great little esc with the adjustable drag brake and built in BEC. But I've also heard only great things about the Holmes esc.... Motor wise I'm lost. Do I go a little high KV range, or do I go XL...

Edit: Mamba X has been ordered!

Edit #2: Waterproofed Puller Pro XL ordered!!

Last edited by F1GHTF1R3W1THF1Re.; 01-05-2017 at 04:05 AM.
Old 01-03-2017, 12:02 PM   #146
I wanna be Dave

You may not be too happy with the low speed control of the XL. Are you more of a basher or crawler?

Excellent choice on that Mamba X.
SCREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 12:26 PM   #147
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCREAMER View Post
You may not be too happy with the low speed control of the XL. Are you more of a basher or crawler?

Excellent choice on that Mamba X.
Heck, I'm not sure what I am! I like pulling hillclimbs and wheelspeed I do know that! I'm going to eventually be going with Yeti IFS, so that's kinda the direction I am leaning towards. I was locking my other puller pro up, eager to see what kind of power the XL packs. Yeti IFS is planned to be fabbed by me, but that's not for a bit yet. Hopefully I can get past that low end control I keep hearing about with the XL

Sure is a lot of fun thus far though!
Old 01-03-2017, 01:53 PM   #148
I wanna be Dave

I heard the new castle firmware updates helped with low end on holmes XL motors. What kv did you go with?

You could keep that high clearance skid by making an adapter plate like DMG sells. Or just drill 4 new holes for the wraith tranny.
84yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 02:13 PM   #149
Quarry Creeper

New Firmware for the Mamba Monster X really makes the XL smooth on the bottom(not sure about the mamba X). Still not as smooth as a standard, but totally crawl-able! you'll love it. The one thing I don't like about my XL is just how strong the magnets seem to be. Personally I don't see too much of a power difference on 4s between my PP3500 and PP350xl. They are however in completely different trucks/ gearing.
Lanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 04:22 PM   #150
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84yoda View Post
I heard the new castle firmware updates helped with low end on holmes XL motors. What kv did you go with?

You could keep that high clearance skid by making an adapter plate like DMG sells. Or just drill 4 new holes for the wraith tranny.
I went with the same KV range, 2200kv. I'm not even sure what to expect out of it, but if it was anything like any of my other holmes purchase I wont be disappointed! Need to locate a wraith trans yet, but it will come with time. Not afraid to wait out a good deal on a used SS wraith trans. In the mean time there was some interior/tin work I wanted to play with. I am excited to see how clean I can get the wiring setup without the BEC ect. once I get to that point. Less mess!
Old 01-03-2017, 05:03 PM   #151
I wanna be Dave

Another two options: go with a SSD higher ratio wraith tranny or pick up new (ebay) or used spawn tranny and pick up a HR aluminum housing and swap everything over (also need RRP metal middle gear). If you break stock outputs, put in SS extended outputs.
Old 01-03-2017, 07:22 PM   #152
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Another two options: go with a SSD higher ratio wraith tranny or pick up new (ebay) or used spawn tranny and pick up a HR aluminum housing and swap everything over (also need RRP metal middle gear). If you break stock outputs, put in SS extended outputs.

Wow, I've never noticed the SSD hi ratio trans before. I'd for sure need to lose the front OD gears in lieu of UD'S all around. It's almost a no brainer, thank you more pointing that out!
Old 01-03-2017, 08:47 PM   #153
I wanna be Dave

Ya no problem, glad I could help. A lot of people dont even know about it, so your not the only one. Lol. Wait till you have it in your hands, its an awesome piece. You will need to pick up a few items to make it complete just fyi. Plus UD gears all around is a better choice anyways.
Old 01-05-2017, 06:44 AM   #154

Quote:
Here's the info you need.

Thoughts on this high clearance skid?
The link is dead. Who makes the high clearance skid?
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 08:16 AM   #155
Quarry Creeper

Circle City RC was kind enough to donate another brand new high clearance bomber skid. This one is made specifically for a bomber w/wraith style transmission. Still working out some numbers and builds for my transmission. Super Shafty 6mm outputs is just too badass, SSD also offers a nice kit with aluminum case & hi ratio. Or do I go build a Robinson racing/Hot Racing trans.

Also picked up a GT3C which I'll be hacking for the extra channels.
Old 01-05-2017, 09:25 AM   #156
RCC Addict

I have a 6mm holmes setup with the RRP gear for a Wraith trans if you're interested. The latest one piece shaft with lock plate. Bearings, 6mm MIP ends and all. Add up the pieces, I'll cut you a hell of a deal

Edit to add a pic.

Last edited by maslin; 01-05-2017 at 06:56 PM.
maslin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 07:08 PM   #157
Rock Crawler

Seems like you are liking the high clearance skid...do you think the high clearance skid on it's own is worth it or would one need to do both the tummy tuck and high clearance skid to really have an impact?
Drm31078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 12:04 AM   #158
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drm31078 View Post
Seems like you are liking the high clearance skid...do you think the high clearance skid on it's own is worth it or would one need to do both the tummy tuck and high clearance skid to really have an impact?
The skid provides you with the "tummy tuck". What it does is move everything upwards, flush with the lower frame rails of the chassis. Parts are coming in, I've received both my Puller Pro XL, and the Mamba X. Both look amazing, great quality. I can't wait to get to see how this setup works compared to what I had in it. I am still piecing together my trans, and as you can see maslin twisted my arm about the 6mm outputs

Go big or go home, they say...

Old 01-08-2017, 12:53 AM   #159
I wanna be Dave

There's a part of me that misses my Holmes 540XL 3500kv. It's just brutal power that makes you giggle with every trigger pull. I wish I could try one out on the new MMX firmware to see for myself. I ran it on the same MMX when I had one and smooth was not the word I would use to describe it. I have no doubts the new firmware improved low speed control though. It made my Holmes non XLs feel even better than I thought was possible for brushless. Very interested to hear your thoughts, FFWF.
SCREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 07:10 PM   #160
Rock Crawler

Yes, but you also modified the chassis in addition to the high clearance skid. So I was wondering if you think both are needed?
Drm31078 is offline   Reply With Quote

FFWF's Budget Bomber Build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rottenbellys bolt on bomber build. rottenbelly Axial RR10 Bomber 59 12-13-2016 02:30 PM
KurseD build: the Brass Bomber Budget Bucket KurseD RC4WD Trail Finder 2 15 05-26-2016 04:40 AM
802coma's Budget Bomber 802coma Axial RR10 Bomber 10 02-08-2016 07:42 PM
Budget bomber must do's ride1226 Axial RR10 Bomber 48 01-06-2016 07:36 PM
My Bomber build bredmx Axial RR10 Bomber 8 12-28-2015 11:51 AM