Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 II

Notices

Thread: bilinvic's SCX10 II

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2016, 08:42 AM   #101
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: bilinvic's SCX10 II

Quote:
Originally Posted by rngrchad View Post
Would you say this rig you've built out of the scx2 Is as fun or more fun to drive than your bombers?
Good question....I would have to say this SCX10 II is very close to the Bombers in regards to "fun to drive". I like the Bombers because they have much more wheelspinnin' speed, but the SCX10 II wasn't built for speed, it was built for pure crawling performance and because it crawls so incredibly well, it is a ton of fun to drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Say what? View Post
Hey bill, what size shim did you use on the pinion output shaft?
I like your new wheels
Are you still using the same Voodoo foams with the new wheels? If you are how is sidehilling with the 1.4" wide wheels?

Thank You,
~D
IIRC, I used Traxxas TRA 1985 shims (5x8x0.5mm). Yes, VooDoo foams (under 10lbs). I haven't run the SCX10 II with the new wheels yet, but I anticipate side-hilling will be just as good as the 1.9 SSD wheels, maybe even slightly better?
bilinvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-2016, 06:52 PM   #102
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilinvic View Post

Yeti front bumper with EXO bumper mounts doesn't work on an SCX10 with the axle mounted servo. Might work if you have a CMS. Don't ask me how I know.

Just another reason for me to get an SCX10 II I guess.
Tossedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 02:41 PM   #103
Quarry Creeper

How do you like the new servo so far?
ossipeecrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 08:12 PM   #104
I wanna be Dave

I haven't had a chance to test out the Promodeler servo yet...hopefully soon.
Old 09-22-2016, 07:08 PM   #105
Rock Crawler

Quote:
One important note...make sure you shim the pinion output shafts between the exterior diff housing bearing and the driveshaft...the mesh can really get rough if the pinion is allowed to slide in a bit.
I just did this on mine today as im still in the build process of a kit that I've had sitting around for months
greengoblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 04:39 AM   #106
Pebble Pounder

Hi Bill, What size SLW wheel hubs did you use with the new 1.4 wide wheels?
Have you had a chance to run that "SWEET" truck of yours?
If so would you tell us about it?

Thank you Sir.

~D

Last edited by Say what?; 09-29-2016 at 06:09 AM.
Say what? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 08:23 AM   #107
I wanna be Dave

As it sits now, I'm using .600 SLW hubs but I will probably go down to .475 hubs to narrow the track width just a bit.

No, I haven't ran it lately....it's killing me!
Old 09-29-2016, 10:46 AM   #108
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Good question....I would have to say this SCX10 II is very close to the Bombers in regards to "fun to drive". I like the Bombers because they have much more wheelspinnin' speed, but the SCX10 II wasn't built for speed, it was built for pure crawling performance and because it crawls so incredibly well, it is a ton of fun to drive.

IIRC, I used Traxxas TRA 1985 shims (5x8x0.5mm). Yes, VooDoo foams (under 10lbs). I haven't run the SCX10 II with the new wheels yet, but I anticipate side-hilling will be just as good as the 1.9 SSD wheels, maybe even slightly better?
Where exactly do you shim these axles? I just got my Scx10ii still learning about it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Honcho907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 11:27 AM   #109
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honcho907 View Post
Where exactly do you shim these axles? I just got my Scx10ii still learning about it

see post #107
IVIaarten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 12:31 PM   #110
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by IVIaarten View Post
see post #107
Thanks

Honcho907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 03:49 AM   #111
Quarry Creeper

Nice build!
blumaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 07:14 PM   #112
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I have been fine tuning the suspension and running lots of back-to-back crawls to optimize the performance.

I flipped the rear shocks mounts from side to side and moved them up a notch on the frame. I wanted the rear shocks to be angled forward to provide more leverage and to lower the rear ride height. Moving the shock mount towers and frame brace also provided more clearance for the differential link mounts. For the shock mounts, I used the metal shock mounts from the Blue Monkey Wraith Trailing Arm conversion kit that was sitting in my spares box. The rear shocks were drained of the 30wt shock oil and were filled up with 60wt....feels much better now.

I replaced the rear bumper and bumper frame mount with brand new Axial parts because I initially stole it from my Wroncho Bug!

As much as I absolutely love the KLR's performance, I wanted a scale tire to suit the theme, so I threw on the R35 Falken Wildpeaks with the new denser SCX10 II foams. So far I can still make the same lines as the KLR tires, but it takes more effort and time. I may end up going with the 1.9 R35 BFG Krawlers in due time.

I also filled the backside of the body's grill section with black glue gun glue (if that makes sense!). Small cracks were starting on both sides where the grill goes down past the front fender flares. I applied a layer of Gorilla Duct tape and then filled this whole area with the molten black glue. Once cured, this provides a ton of support to the lexan body to prevent deformation on impacts. A secondary bonus is the extra weight all the way forward.

I'm still amazed at it's performance and I can't wait to get out on the mountains...hopefully this weekend.

Alright bill...so I flipped my rear shock mounts as you did. I did not have the piece you did from the yeti, so I just mounted the shock to the original mount for now. What I found; though, was that if I tightened the shock down tight it would bind. It's like it would not rotate on the ball and socket as designed, but instead wanted to rotate on the mounting bolt.

Anyhow I also discovered my problem with limited suspension travel with both wheels in the rear. Don't laugh, but I had the upper 2 rear links reversed from side to side, causing it to bind on the transmission mounts. It looks as though it would be easy for anyone to do.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Motorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 07:24 PM   #113
Rock Crawler

Hey Bill, I just built a Kit Wraith, and it uses the same Axial style ends on the links. I'm finding them to be a pita as they always seem to pop off the pivot balls causing limited travel or slightly binding the travel. Not sure whats up with them, but I'm currently looking for a proper replacement end. Wasn't sure if you noticed yours doing the same or not, but maybe keep an eye for it, as I constantly have to "re-pop" mine back onto the pivot balls while I'm out on a hike.
rngrchad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 08:50 PM   #114
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorider View Post
Alright bill...so I flipped my rear shock mounts as you did. I did not have the piece you did from the yeti, so I just mounted the shock to the original mount for now. What I found; though, was that if I tightened the shock down tight it would bind. It's like it would not rotate on the ball and socket as designed, but instead wanted to rotate on the mounting bolt.

Anyhow I also discovered my problem with limited suspension travel with both wheels in the rear. Don't laugh, but I had the upper 2 rear links reversed from side to side, causing it to bind on the transmission mounts. It looks as though it would be easy for anyone to do.
You have to ensure the shock bolt is not over-tightened, you want the shock to rotate freely on the ball mount. I can see how easy it would be to have the links wrong, glad to hear you figured it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rngrchad View Post
Hey Bill, I just built a Kit Wraith, and it uses the same Axial style ends on the links. I'm finding them to be a pita as they always seem to pop off the pivot balls causing limited travel or slightly binding the travel. Not sure whats up with them, but I'm currently looking for a proper replacement end. Wasn't sure if you noticed yours doing the same or not, but maybe keep an eye for it, as I constantly have to "re-pop" mine back onto the pivot balls while I'm out on a hike.
The Axial link ends and plastic balls aren't very good except for the first couple times out...then they get sloppy and loose and you end up having to pop them back on like you are doing. By far, Traxxas Revo (short) and Jato (long) link ends are the best to use. In time they will loosen too, but you'll have quite a few miles on your rig by the time that happens and they are relatively inexpensive to replace. These Traxxas link ends come with metal balls.
Old 10-05-2016, 10:27 AM   #115
Rock Crawler

Quote:
You have to ensure the shock bolt is not over-tightened, you want the shock to rotate freely on the ball mount. I can see how easy it would be to have the links wrong, glad to hear you figured it out.

The Axial link ends and plastic balls aren't very good except for the first couple times out...then they get sloppy and loose and you end up having to pop them back on like you are doing. By far, Traxxas Revo (short) and Jato (long) link ends are the best to use. In time they will loosen too, but you'll have quite a few miles on your rig by the time that happens and they are relatively inexpensive to replace. These Traxxas link ends come with metal balls.
Are the traxxas rod ends part number 5347?

Old 10-05-2016, 09:08 PM   #116
I wanna be Dave

Revo link ends TRA5347
Jato link ends TRA5525

You can also go with RPM link ends which also come in Revo and Jato lengths....they are even better, but slightly larger diameter.
Old 10-07-2016, 06:33 AM   #117
Rock Crawler

Thanks Bill for the quick responses

Old 10-07-2016, 01:17 PM   #118
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Mods to note:

Shock tower bracing was added;
The side plates were narrowed significantly;
The structural ribs on the underside of the side plates were cut down (angular);
Yeti front bumper with EXO bumper mounts;
Poison Spyder rear bumper (which is actually a front bumper).

I thoroughly enjoyed building the SCX10 II, kudos to Axial for another great product.
When you braced the shock towers did you have to get a smaller battery pack? I was thinking of doing the same but unfortunately all my packs are too wide
twisted concept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 10:41 AM   #119
I wanna be Dave

I use 2200 mAh 3S batteries which fit under the front shock hoop crossbar. I can easily get 2.5 hours of run time per battery.
Old 10-08-2016, 07:59 PM   #120
Quarry Creeper

Bill are you running the stock kit springs?
ossipeecrawler is offline   Reply With Quote

bilinvic's SCX10 II - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
bilinvic's R1 Build bilinvic G-Made Crawlers 82 03-14-2018 07:52 PM
bilinvic's Ascender bilinvic Vaterra Ascender 169 11-14-2017 07:59 PM
Video of bilinvic's RR10 Bomber bilinvic Videos! 1 01-02-2016 07:20 PM
bilinvic's Ultimate SCX10 '73 Bronco Build bilinvic Axial SCX-10 24 05-03-2015 05:55 PM
bilinvic's Second Wraith Build bilinvic Axial Wraith 11 10-14-2014 05:39 AM