Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: W.O.D. inspired family 4 seater buggy, "Southern Comfort" by CFM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2012, 09:52 PM   #341
Metal shaper

Got the above listed battery ordered x2 from Holmes. Going to play with gearing this weekend and cross my fingers. CFM sponsored my sons minor league baseball team today, and that combined with this G6 trip and both kids bdays this week, it will be hard to convince the wife that I need a motor. Haha
Plus I dropped off one of the Crawler InNovations rigs today and picked up another, along with all the custom axle work I got waiting on my lathe to open up, time is not on my side.
CarterFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-19-2012, 11:29 PM   #342
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: W.O.D. inspired family 4 seater buggy, "Southern Comfort" by CFM

Clay, I went on your facebook page today and I think I saw my axles in the lathe! I noticed a link to my southern buggy build as well, very nice! I've yet to merge my facebook with rccrawler (got to keep some privacy).

I'm looking forward to the axles, but as always...priorities (your little guy) come first.
Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 02:02 AM   #343
PapaGriz Yo

The 35T will have a little better torque but it'll be a little jumpy compared to the 13T CM. I ran a 35T Holmes Handwound on 3S in Guido for a while and I found it to be a good setup.

Whether you throw a 35T in there or the 13T, you will find the truck fun to drive.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 07:38 AM   #344

Wow, that this thing is sick! Nice work.
buttercr125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:10 AM   #345
Metal shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog View Post
Clay, I went on your facebook page today and I think I saw my axles in the lathe! I noticed a link to my southern buggy build as well, very nice! I've yet to merge my facebook with rccrawler (got to keep some privacy).

I'm looking forward to the axles, but as always...priorities (your little guy) come first.
That was yours. I have a personal FB and a business one.
Been doing a little work during my breaks on the tubes tryin to get them done. Wife's grandfather has taken a turn for the worse and that has cut into anytime after work hours for fabrication.
Family First.
Old 09-20-2012, 09:58 AM   #346
RCC Addict

Hope and prayers for your wife and her father.
Maddog Madigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 12:07 PM   #347
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddog Madigan View Post
Hope and prayers for your wife and her father.
X2
darkmanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 03:22 PM   #348
Metal shaper

Thanks guys for the thoughts. Been a rough week on the wife. First her Grandfather gets worse and today is her daughters 5th bday and she has to fly out for work for a couple days.
Old 09-20-2012, 09:41 PM   #349
Metal shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly4x4 View Post
The 35T will have a little better torque but it'll be a little jumpy compared to the 13T CM. I ran a 35T Holmes Handwound on 3S in Guido for a while and I found it to be a good setup.

Whether you throw a 35T in there or the 13T, you will find the truck fun to drive.
Thanks Grizz for taking the time with me and being patient with all the questions. Got a selection of pinions to work with this weekend and thanks again for finding the batteries. They are actually smaller than my 1000mah except for thickness which isn't the problem as far as fitment was going.
Can't wait to drive with the peace of mind that it won't be burning up.
Old 09-20-2012, 11:52 PM   #350
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarterFab View Post
Thanks Grizz for taking the time with me and being patient with all the questions. Got a selection of pinions to work with this weekend and thanks again for finding the batteries. They are actually smaller than my 1000mah except for thickness which isn't the problem as far as fitment was going.
Can't wait to drive with the peace of mind that it won't be burning up.
No worries Clay, glad to help.
I'm glad those batts fit, makes me feel much better also.
Old 09-21-2012, 08:39 AM   #351
Metal shaper

They showed in stock when I ordered but haven't got a ship notification yet. Hope they get here in time so I can finish relocating things.
And one last question for you, I assume it would be best to be geared lower than necessary? Might suffer wheel speed but won't have heat issues? Just in case everything shows up last minute and don't have time to tune.
Old 09-21-2012, 09:22 AM   #352
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarterFab View Post
They showed in stock when I ordered but haven't got a ship notification yet. Hope they get here in time so I can finish relocating things.
And one last question for you, I assume it would be best to be geared lower than necessary? Might suffer wheel speed but won't have heat issues? Just in case everything shows up last minute and don't have time to tune.
Always better to run lower gearing to start. It'll crawl better anyways, and it sounds like you're not much of a go-fast/basher kind of guy. You can experiment with higher gearing once you get all the bugs worked out of it. Rig looks great all finished up! BTW, those stickers should be there in the next couple of days.
War Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 09:34 AM   #353
Metal shaper

Thanks Tim. Another very helpful RCC member coming to my aid. Haha
Old 09-21-2012, 02:29 PM   #354
PapaGriz Yo

Like Tim said, always best to start low, especially if you don't have time to test.
Lower gearing will make it easier for the motor to move the truck. Thus less heat in the motor and batteries.
Old 09-21-2012, 07:18 PM   #355
Metal shaper

Good deal. That what I figured but I don't like taking risks on higher dollar motors.
Batteries shipped today!!
Old 09-23-2012, 11:29 AM   #356
Metal shaper

My wife's grandfather lost his fight Saturday morning and has moved onto a better place. Thanks for the thoughts and prayers.

I have been on kid duty the last few days and has been very tough dealing with the loss and explaining things to young children. I did find that RCs are a great distraction and helped keep their mind off things till Mommy came home to help me explain. It was also both kids bday this weekend and I had to go it alone, thank God for cool presents,
Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348420875.704042.jpg
Views: 765
Size:  155.4 KB
Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348420893.737368.jpg
Views: 776
Size:  176.0 KB

Also had some time to get a few things lined out on the truck. Had my son out helping me and we also did some trail running and teaching him how to use his winch properly.
Went ahead and dropped on down to a 12t pinion and heat has not been an issue and is also more efficient on run time. Still has enough wheel speed for me too. Got the passenger side skin finished and managed to add some trail pin striping to the rig. Also added a winch attachment point to the front axle to allow me to suck down the front end. Made a huge difference in climbing.
Couple of the shocks appear to be leaking a little already, but I also need to change the fluid weight out and play with springs when I get more time.
Was planning on making the G6 this coming weekend but that's up in the air right now.

Old 09-23-2012, 11:52 AM   #357
www.team3sixrc.com

Sorry for your loss Clay. Its always tough no matter how or why. But moving on without suffering is the better way.
team3six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 12:33 PM   #358
I wanna be Dave

Keep your chin up mate.
doublej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 09:55 PM   #359
Metal shaper

Thanks guys.
Worked on scale accessories today to keep occupied. Added the winch controller, warn toolbox with winch accessories inside, and some scale tow straps and shackles.

Old 09-23-2012, 09:58 PM   #360
www.team3sixrc.com

That shifter I made looks right at home
team3six is offline   Reply With Quote

W.O.D. inspired family 4 seater buggy, "Southern Comfort" by CFM - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"Southern Comfort" by CFM CarterFab Axial Wraith 687 08-13-2014 06:28 AM
"riddler" southern buggy build ROLANDROCKSHOP Axial Wraith 147 10-25-2013 01:54 PM
RECON G6 Challenge "The Superlift Southern Showdown G6" & "Outlaw Terra-X" DRIVNMF Recon G6 227 10-19-2012 10:26 AM
mg200 southern buggy build "HEADCASE" ROLANDROCKSHOP Axial Wraith 187 03-04-2012 06:35 PM