Notices

Thread: Who is up for a new comp class

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2013, 07:28 PM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Who is up for a new comp class

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Violator View Post
Once you came out and saw how things work, you might be ready to jump into a 2.2pro car. Unless you go out there and see on the 4th page of rules your tires are .00000001" to short, and you have .00000001" of battery exposed and get shut down.

Or the rules could be relaxed and people would show up.
I've gotten that feeling about the whole scene. I never raced touring car because even the novice classes were crazy finite and technical. You never saw a noobie stepping into that class that's for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xgerstandtx View Post
I am bored with crawling. I want a new class. Fairly simple.

I agree with anyone trying to get a fire lit under the comp scene.

Quick thoughts is similar to Minn. Rules:

SCX ladder frame(similar design), extend 1'' past axle centerline of axle
2.2 tires
Servo only mounted axle
Electronics chassis only
No bumpers
ONLY LEXAN bodies minimum 12.5'' (with appropriate width)

Traditional comp courses

I would be into this or similar 100%. No scale accesories

Just thoughts from a guy who is burnt out on comp's right now. (I have comped religiously since 2007 with a recent break. Would love to find some passion for it again)
Those are rules that are SIMPLE to follow. I'd like to see a bit more wheelbase but fuggit I'd get over it.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-2013, 07:41 PM   #22
Hoof Hearted?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Violator View Post
Have you been to a nationals lately? When you cannot muster 100 drivers to show up, maybe its time to adjust the way things are done.
Yes, in 2012.
I agree that there is always room for adjustments because things are always evolving, but changing the whole program is not the answer. Opening the door to new people on the club level will increase the number of people at local comps. More people at local comps ups your chances of having more people at a Regional, then Nationals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
New guys need to be able to go to a comp and not feel like they have to compete directly with the local top tier drivers. It is unfair and not very encouraging. Inclusion of the new guys should not dictate course design for the better drivers either. That is also unfair and equally discouraging. You want new people to stay as well as the established people.

All a club would need is a simple class that caters to 2.2 based rtrs with a more lenient rule set. Anyone that joins that class gets a mandatory bump into a more difficult class if they do exceedingly better than everyone else. If they aren't all that great, they'll have time to learn to drive, time to learn the rules, and they'll know ahead of time what the other classes are like because they will be there to observe them.
This is very similar to what we have started this season without the mandatory bump. Being our scale/rwyb class is still new, this hasn't been necessary yet.
Grandmasboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 07:59 PM   #23
Quarry Creeper

You guys know why this sport is dying? Because a guy cannot take an almost box stock truck and compete without getting his tail handed to him. Of course you can modify it and end up having 3X what you paid for the original unit.
LEADFOOT82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 09:09 PM   #24
5th D Owner/Driver

Why not stay with the comp crawler side of cars and run a stock class that would include the Ridgecrest, deadbolt, nightcrawler, original AX10 and make it so you would have to run the axles and chassis that the car originally came with. No major axle mods allowed like shortening/widening, but shocks and electronics allowed to upgrade.
cboggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 09:37 PM   #25
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cboggs View Post
Why not stay with the comp crawler side of cars and run a stock class that would include the Ridgecrest, deadbolt, nightcrawler, original AX10 and make it so you would have to run the axles and chassis that the car originally came with. No major axle mods allowed like shortening/widening, but shocks and electronics allowed to upgrade.
Then you'd have the pro's run in that one too and kick everyone's ass, kinda like when there was the big shift into Sportsman (just before 2.2s).

Its not really the sum of the parts that matter, its the skill level. A noob with a $1000 rig isn't going to do a whole lot better than a noob with a $300 rig. Either way, you still have to know how to drive.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 09:38 PM   #26
Quarry Creeper

this would help a lot i mean there was a few reasons i gave up

1. it was costing way to much to be competitive
i went to my first comp and had a blast and guys were great but the rigs out there and the driver skill was way more then i had. so i tried to build a better rig and it got just to expensive to run.

2. had to drive so far just to find more then 1-2 people to comp/GTG with

3. if i could of been semi competitive with a more base rig and built up as i went ya it would have been a lot funner.

i would love to come back with a wraith or something but i cant dump all that $$ in it and support my kids. i do miss it
jokers_toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 09:46 PM   #27
I wanna be Dave

I like the whole dam idea!
I got out of scale and more into crawling because of all the scale points and BS..
when a newbie can't run a stock rtr, nail 3 perfect courses, and still be a point shy of 1st place, before the top scale point guy even runs a course! No fun..

1.9 with 12.5" wb or 2.2 with 15" wb, run what ya brung(scale wise).. AWESOME!!!
winnerone23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 10:10 PM   #28
Rock Crawler

I like the idea of a somewhat "open class" with few restrictions in order to get new blood into the sport. Not so much limiting the chassis, but shaft driven and maybe a 5.5" tire limit.

Another idea would be to eliminate the 40 point, point out, and go totally on the time limit.
GRIMGREG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 12:11 AM   #29
Try to Bend it

Stock honcho's and Dingo's have won in this rule set that we ran this year. As for rules the exact same rules for 2.2 classes are applied to this one and there are no points for scale accessories.

6.1 Body
  • 6.1.1 Vehicles are to represent a production vehicle that has been modified to become a capable trail rated rig and is not necessarily street legal.
  • 6.1.2 Vehicles must run a minimum full body from the grill to the B-pillar. Wheel arches may be radius'ed or trimmed for clearance. Where the vehicle is run in a cab-only configuration, you can run any kind of rear body design except for a bare chassis. Chassis must have some frame or bar work to be legal that could represent a support structure for a tray or 3 dimensional cage work such as a truggy.
  • 6.1.3 Removal of the roof is allowed so long as a roll cage is fitted, however all vehicles without an enclosed cab or tray must have the motor, transmission, and electronics covered and hidden when viewed from the top.
  • 6.1.4 The body including bumpers, and whatever style of rear body design is chosen. (NOT stingers or attachments) must be 3" longer than the wheelbase.
  • 6.1.5 A front bumper is required and must be wider than the chassis (chassis cross rails do not count as bumpers). Bumpers that are moulded into the body qualify.
  • 6.1.6 Sectioning or narrowing of the body is not allowed from the B-Pillar FORWARD. From the B-Pillar BACK reference 6.1.2 and 6.1.8.
  • 6.1.7 Body / Cage work must be at least 4.5" tall.
  • 6.1.8 For the rear design chosen, if run in cab only configuration, to be legal it must have cage/tray or body work past the rear axle pumpkin.
  • 6.1.9 The inner wall of front tyres, measured at the axle centre must be covered by bodywork when viewed from above at rest. Flares can be used to obtain coverage.

6.2 Tyres/Wheels
  • 6.2.1 Vehicles are limited to 1.9 inch wheels/rims or smaller at the bead surface. 120mm / 4.75" maximum external diameter. Tyre size will be determined by advertised manufacturer specs. (Tires without available specs will be measured off the truck as mounted on the wheel laid flat).
  • 6.2.2 Modified tyres ARE ALLOWED so long as they meet the above specifications and start out with a commercially available 1.9 Tyre Tread Pattern, picture evidence may be required if changed dramatically from original form.
  • 6.2.3 Tyres MAY also be modified from other sized tires using ONLY a pliable rubber but must meet rule 6.2.1.
  • 6.2.4 A maximum width of 50mm from side wall to side wall for modified tyres. See Rule 6.2.1
  • 6.2.5 Siping, grooving, cutting and removal of lugs is allowed. If the tyre no longer resembles its original form see rule 6.2.2 for clarification.

6.3 Drive train
  • 6.3.1 Vehicles are limited to front wheel steering only.
  • 6.3.2 Vehicles must be shaft driven only and powered by a single motor. No "Motor On Axle" (MOA) of any kind. Your axles must be driven by one transmission or transfer case and a minimum of two drive shafts (except CC-01, TA -02 etc..). No separate throttle control of drive shafts or axles.
  • 6.3.3 No front or rear digs are allowed. Drive may be disconnected from the front axle only (for example, shifting from 4WD to RWD), but locking of the free axle is not allowed.

6.4 Chassis
  • 6.4.1 Vehicles must be built on a plate, C-channel, or tub style chassis. Chassis must extend in one continuous length from the front axle centreline to the B-pillar as defined by the body. The exception to this rule is the Tamiya CC-01 or TA-02, (Hummer, S-10, Ford F-150 and Toyota PreRunner).
  • 6.4.2 Vehicle wheelbase is to fit the dimensions of the body used. In the instance a tray back or tube tray is fitted, the wheelbase will be approximately defined as double the distance of the front axle to the B-pillar.
  • 6.4.3 Batteries must be located on or within the chassis, no batteries on axles are allowed.

6.5 General
  • 6.5.1 Courses may be setup with a variety of terrain that may include mud, water and winching, these should be considered when building a Scale vehicle.
Highlucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 12:30 AM   #30
5th D Owner/Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
Then you'd have the pro's run in that one too and kick everyone's ass, kinda like when there was the big shift into Sportsman (just before 2.2s).

Its not really the sum of the parts that matter, its the skill level. A noob with a $1000 rig isn't going to do a whole lot better than a noob with a $300 rig. Either way, you still have to know how to drive.
So what's to stop the pro's from building a $2000.00 "open class" rig and kicking everyone's ass? To me this just merges the comp crawlers and C3 scaler into the same comp, just with less rules. You will always have top drivers at a comp, but if it was setup to be more of a stock class then at least the cars would be somewhat on an even playing field and affordable by anyone. Not many new drivers are going to fabricating C3 cars to be competitive in an open class that anyone can drive in.
cboggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 08:37 AM   #31
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highlucks View Post
Stock honcho's and Dingo's have won in this rule set that we ran this year. As for rules the exact same rules for 2.2 classes are applied to this one and there are no points for scale accessories.

6.1 Body
  • 6.1.1 Vehicles are to represent a production vehicle that has been modified to become a capable trail rated rig and is not necessarily street legal.
  • 6.1.2 Vehicles must run a minimum full body from the grill to the B-pillar. Wheel arches may be radius'ed or trimmed for clearance. Where the vehicle is run in a cab-only configuration, you can run any kind of rear body design except for a bare chassis. Chassis must have some frame or bar work to be legal that could represent a support structure for a tray or 3 dimensional cage work such as a truggy.
  • 6.1.3 Removal of the roof is allowed so long as a roll cage is fitted, however all vehicles without an enclosed cab or tray must have the motor, transmission, and electronics covered and hidden when viewed from the top.
  • 6.1.4 The body including bumpers, and whatever style of rear body design is chosen. (NOT stingers or attachments) must be 3" longer than the wheelbase.
  • 6.1.5 A front bumper is required and must be wider than the chassis (chassis cross rails do not count as bumpers). Bumpers that are moulded into the body qualify.
  • 6.1.6 Sectioning or narrowing of the body is not allowed from the B-Pillar FORWARD. From the B-Pillar BACK reference 6.1.2 and 6.1.8.
  • 6.1.7 Body / Cage work must be at least 4.5" tall.
  • 6.1.8 For the rear design chosen, if run in cab only configuration, to be legal it must have cage/tray or body work past the rear axle pumpkin.
  • 6.1.9 The inner wall of front tyres, measured at the axle centre must be covered by bodywork when viewed from above at rest. Flares can be used to obtain coverage.
6.2 Tyres/Wheels
  • 6.2.1 Vehicles are limited to 1.9 inch wheels/rims or smaller at the bead surface. 120mm / 4.75" maximum external diameter. Tyre size will be determined by advertised manufacturer specs. (Tires without available specs will be measured off the truck as mounted on the wheel laid flat).
  • 6.2.2 Modified tyres ARE ALLOWED so long as they meet the above specifications and start out with a commercially available 1.9 Tyre Tread Pattern, picture evidence may be required if changed dramatically from original form.
  • 6.2.3 Tyres MAY also be modified from other sized tires using ONLY a pliable rubber but must meet rule 6.2.1.
  • 6.2.4 A maximum width of 50mm from side wall to side wall for modified tyres. See Rule 6.2.1
  • 6.2.5 Siping, grooving, cutting and removal of lugs is allowed. If the tyre no longer resembles its original form see rule 6.2.2 for clarification.
6.3 Drive train
  • 6.3.1 Vehicles are limited to front wheel steering only.
  • 6.3.2 Vehicles must be shaft driven only and powered by a single motor. No "Motor On Axle" (MOA) of any kind. Your axles must be driven by one transmission or transfer case and a minimum of two drive shafts (except CC-01, TA -02 etc..). No separate throttle control of drive shafts or axles.
  • 6.3.3 No front or rear digs are allowed. Drive may be disconnected from the front axle only (for example, shifting from 4WD to RWD), but locking of the free axle is not allowed.
6.4 Chassis
  • 6.4.1 Vehicles must be built on a plate, C-channel, or tub style chassis. Chassis must extend in one continuous length from the front axle centreline to the B-pillar as defined by the body. The exception to this rule is the Tamiya CC-01 or TA-02, (Hummer, S-10, Ford F-150 and Toyota PreRunner).
  • 6.4.2 Vehicle wheelbase is to fit the dimensions of the body used. In the instance a tray back or tube tray is fitted, the wheelbase will be approximately defined as double the distance of the front axle to the B-pillar.
  • 6.4.3 Batteries must be located on or within the chassis, no batteries on axles are allowed.
6.5 General
  • 6.5.1 Courses may be setup with a variety of terrain that may include mud, water and winching, these should be considered when building a Scale vehicle.

I like all this, however I feel some scale points are good. Set a cap for total points allowed. Not just scale crap thrown in the bed, but things like chassis mounted servo, and hardbody. Those are easy things to have.
Jslick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 09:02 AM   #32
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jslick View Post
I like all this, however I feel some scale points are good. Set a cap for total points allowed. Not just scale crap thrown in the bed, but things like chassis mounted servo, and hardbody. Those are easy things to have.
I would like to see a Cap for scale points, Really see who the drivers are..

If "some" scale points are goin to be aloud, why not others?

I mean, cms, sure.. even a newbie can take the stock servo plate off the axle, mount it to the frame rail and 3 link the rig.

But hard body? How many TF and new bright jeeps do ya want to see at a comp... (yes their are a couple select others, but why)

Leave limited scale points for those that want to work for them.. IE: metal shock hoops welded to the chassis, leaf sprung rigs, etc..
winnerone23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 09:05 AM   #33
I wanna be Dave

Overall I am fine with the way the classes are, comp and scale. I have always liked the competition aspect. I think individual clubs need to take the lead with these types of discssions and make the best decision for them. I know the club I belong to will be making adjustments this coming season to increase membership by adjusting the current rules and make the events more fun. I think of the USRCCA and SORCCA rules as guidelines to help the clubs.
Old 12-16-2013, 09:10 AM   #34
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnerone23 View Post
I would like to see a Cap for scale points, Really see who the drivers are..

If "some" scale points are goin to be aloud, why not others?

I mean, cms, sure.. even a newbie can take the stock servo plate off the axle, mount it to the frame rail and 3 link the rig.

But hard body? How many TF and new bright jeeps do ya want to see at a comp... (yes their are a couple select others, but why)

Leave limited scale points for those that want to work for them.. IE: metal shock hoops welded to the chassis, leaf sprung rigs, etc..

Scale points as they are currently in the SORCCA rules are easy to get, if you don't take advantage of them who is to blame?

I don't want to run a stock out of the box rig. That is part of the fun, making it yours and adding your own touches to it.

Last edited by Jslick; 12-16-2013 at 09:14 AM.
Old 12-16-2013, 09:20 AM   #35
I wanna be Dave

This entire thread is related to this thread.

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/usrcc...ml#post4587604

We should try to keep all these great ideas in one place so it is easy for clubs to access the info.
Old 12-16-2013, 09:22 AM   #36
No idea what I'm doing

I've already embraced the Scale/Comp mentality. I will not build trucks anymore unless they have a driver, scale tires, scale wheels, real tube work, lights and some scale accessories. I don't need a special class though, since these are just my own self imposed rules, and I plan to run the "truck" (I hate when people call them cars) locally in the Sportsmans class since 2.2s is already heading the same direction as 2.2p.

Everyone talks about the decline in interest when it comes to comp. I don't think it has anything to do with people feeling they can't be competitive. It's because the trucks are no longer trucks. It's RC Robotics, and that does not have much appeal to the general public. Why do you think Scale is so popular? Because they still look like trucks.

Everyone says comp is supposed to be "The best of the best and performance above everything else". Well, keep telling yourself that while wondering what's causing the decline in interest.

Here's the only rule I think you need. Take a look through the TLT or AX-10 picture archives from 10 years ago. If the truck you want to build would look out of place there, you are in violation.
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 09:37 AM   #37
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgreer View Post
I personally think with class1, class2, class3, G6, and UltraRC, we have every aspect of the scale end covered from out of the box stock to 100% custom.
Where can I find my local g6? How often does that come to town? I do have a local u4 race but I don't want to destroy my rigs right now

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk
z50king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 10:12 AM   #38
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cboggs View Post
So what's to stop the pro's from building a $2000.00 "open class" rig and kicking everyone's ass? To me this just merges the comp crawlers and C3 scaler into the same comp, just with less rules. You will always have top drivers at a comp, but if it was setup to be more of a stock class then at least the cars would be somewhat on an even playing field and affordable by anyone. Not many new drivers are going to fabricating C3 cars to be competitive in an open class that anyone can drive in.
A force bump into higher classes after X amount of wins in a season.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 11:33 AM   #39
I wanna be Dave

I just posted this for discussion on our clubs website about possible change in scale for 2014.

Course rules and addendums would remain the same.
Each class would be determined by the scale points you run.

Box Stock-15 scale points (ADVENTURER)
16-30 Scale Points (TRAIL READY)

MAX Scale Points 30

This will cater to the new comers just starting out and the experienced drivers alike. Drivers will be challenged on their current levels.

If an Adventurer driver wins 5 times they will move up to the Trail Ready level.

Class 1
Adventurer

Trail Ready

Class 2
Adventurer

Trail Ready
Old 12-16-2013, 12:40 PM   #40
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by z50king View Post
Where can I find my local g6? How often does that come to town? I do have a local u4 race but I don't want to destroy my rigs right now

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk
Do your homework! Go look for it! If you don't have it, then start making flyers and collect some guys to run one. I can't stand someone that just wants to sit back and cry about something, get off your duff and do something about it. I started with 100% stock nightcrawler, got my butt handed to me at every comp. It didn't bother me one little bit to come into last place, I learned something everytime. I slowly learned to drive better, and slowly upgraded parts here and there, and over time finally became competitive. I don't have a $1500 nightcrawler, it doesn't have near that much in it, it just has a ton of time, testing, and tuning. If you truly love this sport, then you know your not going to do good when you first start. You have to learn, practice, and eventually get the hang of things. On a local level, a loose based stock or run what you brung class is great for people to get there feet wet, but rules and structure is needed for bigger comps. The work in building, testing, practicing, and tuning is what makes it fun for me. I want to win state really bad, but if there was no rules to follow, or they just handed me the title, then I could careless about it.
Tgreer is offline   Reply With Quote

Who is up for a new comp class - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1.9 Comp Class? ZNO-RC Newbie General 1 10-04-2010 01:31 PM
New comp class! jason Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 0 10-09-2008 01:03 PM
Colorado Comp #5...........Super Class and 2.2 Class Videos BENDER Videos! 37 06-06-2007 07:46 PM
PARC - December 4th - Rock Racing Comp- Spec/Drivers Class Comp- Get together kevinlongisland Competitions 31 12-06-2005 11:30 PM