Notices

Thread: Motorcycle discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2019, 08:38 AM   #281
RCC Addict

Default Re: Motorcycle discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post

If I could just find a buyer for a 2000 SV650 with a hole in the tank, rusted chain, and dry-rotted tires (and everything else that dries out and falls apart when parked for a few years)...

These make a helluva budget road-race bike. That motor is phenom.

I had one back prior to 2002, traded it in on the 'new' DL1000 V-Strom.

After my 3-4 year hiatus came back with a KTM 250 and a Kawasaki Versis.

Browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-2019, 10:08 AM   #282

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpl666k9 View Post
Nice looking bike.
Thank you! It's so much fun. Today is the first day I haven't ridden it to work because it's supposed to rain.

I ordered a Yoshimura tidy tail/fender eliminator this morning.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 12:18 PM   #283
Rock Crawler

Not nearly as nice as a lot of the bikes on here, but here's my 05 Suzuki S50 Boulevard (VS800). Was 36 (2015) when I first learned to ride. My friend is super in to motorcycles and he decided it was unacceptable I didn't know how to ride, lol. Taught me how to ride on one of his bikes, then when I got my endorsement sold it to me super cheap. I can strap about 2 crawlers to it, so it makes cheap transportation to local-ish RC events (within 2-3 hrs or so). Anyways, here's a few assorted pics, lol...
Attached Images

Last edited by JSterrett; 04-25-2019 at 12:25 PM. Reason: More photos...
JSterrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 02:20 PM   #284
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
I picked up my new toy last night!

I put money down on Good Friday (April 19) and it arrived at the dealer on April 23. Very impressive considering they are closed Sunday and Monday.

The dealer was swamped so we spent over 2 hours there. But I am not the proud owner of a 2019 Honda Grom in Blue Raspberry flavor!
What happened to that red Ducati Scrambler that you were looking forward to. It looked brilliant.
wings_of_fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 02:24 PM   #285

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpl666k9 View Post
Nice looking bike.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSterrett View Post
Not nearly as nice as a lot of the bikes on here, but here's my 05 Suzuki S50 Boulevard (VS800). Was 36 (2015) when I first learned to ride. My friend is super in to motorcycles and he decided it was unacceptable I didn't know how to ride, lol. Taught me how to ride on one of his bikes, then when I got my endorsement sold it to me super cheap. I can strap about 2 crawlers to it, so it makes cheap transportation to local-ish RC events (within 2-3 hrs or so). Anyways, here's a few assorted pics, lol...
Cool! I've always thought about throwing a crawler in a backpack and heading crawling on my motorcycle. Never happened though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wings_of_fire View Post
What happened to that red Ducati Scrambler that you were looking forward to. It looked brilliant.
It sold. And the new models are not offered in red - orange and yellow only. I also came to the conclusion that being a V-twin with similar, but less power than my Buell I wasn't sure I'd be happy with it.
Old 04-25-2019, 02:36 PM   #286
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpiguy View Post

Yeah, it wasn't just the close calls for me. It was many factors combined, that was only one of them. Cost was a big one too. $2-3k in tires a season got old too. Thanks man, it took me a while to work up the nerve to wheelie the big bike like the pit bikes. That's another reason I got rid of it too. Supermotos just beg you to be a hooligan, and growing up on dirt bikes I didn't have a lot of reserve for behaving properly other than around town.
You live just once and honestly that too is a very short period. Go blow another 100 set of tires. You won't regret it when you are old.

I stopped taking life seriously and I am a lot happier than when I took life seriously.
Old 04-25-2019, 02:41 PM   #287
Quarry Creeper

Quote:

It sold. And the new models are not offered in red - orange and yellow only. I also came to the conclusion that being a V-twin with similar, but less power than my Buell I wasn't sure I'd be happy with it.
There are plenty of used Ducati Scramblers (shockingly low mileage) for sale in India. Lot of people say it lacks that punch. I haven't ridden it so I don't know how it feels.
Old 04-25-2019, 02:58 PM   #288
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Cool! I've always thought about throwing a crawler in a backpack and heading crawling on my motorcycle. Never happened though.
Have found a few cool spots exploring on the bikes. I've thought about getting an "adventure bike" because this Suzuki gets pretty damn squirrely on loose dirt and gravel, but I've kept it upright so far. Maybe if I finally dump it I'll have more motivation to spend the money on something a bit more off-road capable, lol...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
JSterrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 02:58 PM   #289
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browneye View Post
After my 3-4 year hiatus came back with a KTM 250 and a Kawasaki Versis.
The "holey" model I have now is the standard SV, but previously I had the same era "S" model as yours, in blue - with a titanium Yoshimura pipe.

Loved that damn thing, but ended up trading it in on a car after a few years.

I had been on two wheels only for about 8 years by then on various bikes.
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 06:26 AM   #290

Quote:
You live just once and honestly that too is a very short period. Go blow another 100 set of tires. You won't regret it when you are old.

I stopped taking life seriously and I am a lot happier than when I took life seriously.
You can say that again. I agree 100%!

Quote:
There are plenty of used Ducati Scramblers (shockingly low mileage) for sale in India. Lot of people say it lacks that punch. I haven't ridden it so I don't know how it feels.
Used Scramblers are inexpensive. The red one that I originally wanted was used, but very lightly and it had a ton of aftermarket accessories.

The dealer where I got my Grom had a used, red Scrambler. And I've seen other used Scramblers at different dealerships and they have lots of wear on them. I'm not sure if it is just those particular bikes of if it's indicative of lesser quality on all Scramblers. It definitely concerned me.

Same goes for the CB1000R tanks. I'm not sure if I already mentioned this, but apparently the EU, which seems to ruin everything fun, banned some substance from paint. Because of this the Honda paint is very fragile and scratches very easily. The two new, black CB1000Rs at the local dealer look used because the tanks are so scratched just from people sitting on them!
Old 04-27-2019, 05:27 AM   #291
Rock Crawler

Quote:

Speaking of SV's this is the bike I had before my FZ-07. It was pretty sweet and pretty rare as it was only available in the US 1 year but we had some life changes coming so we sold our bikes and those lives changes didn't pan out. So that's why I now have the FZ and she has a 2014 Triumph Thruxton.

Pic of SV:
Untitled by JASON MCKIMMEY, on Flickr

And pic of her bike when it was new:
1614397_757316871013086_1389389375947277816_o by JASON MCKIMMEY, on Flickr
JDM74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 05:29 AM   #292

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM74 View Post
Speaking of SV's this is the bike I had before my FZ-07. It was pretty sweet and pretty rare as it was only available in the US 1 years but we had some life changes coming so we sold our bikes and those lives changes didn't pan out. So that's why I now have the FZ and she has a 2014 Triumph Thruxton.

Pic of SV:

Untitled by JASON MCKIMMEY, on Flickr

What's rare about this SV model?
Old 04-27-2019, 05:53 AM   #293
Rock Crawler

Quote:
What's rare about this SV model?
It's a naked SV1000. Only sold in the US for 1 year.
JDM74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 07:57 AM   #294

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM74 View Post
It's a naked SV1000. Only sold in the US for 1 year.
I knew they didn't make the SV1000s too long, especially the nekkid, but I didn't realize they were only here for a year! The naked version always looked better. I'd love to have that bike!

On Saturday morning I installed the Yoshimura fender eliminator on my Grom. I also removed the front reflectors. It looks so much better IMO.

A side benefit is that it removed weight. I'm guessing the bike lost about two pounds which is substantial considering the fact that it only weights 231 pounds wet (according to Motorcycle.com). I was astounded when the stock fender had a steel tube frame.

Old 04-30-2019, 09:43 AM   #295
Quarry Creeper

Quote:

Easy to say when you aren't the one paying for the toys, or the maintenance budget. Like I said, I've moved on to other things, and other experiences in life. As for motorcycling, been there, done that. I don't regret doing it at all, just not into it anymore like I used to be. And one thing I can tell you for certain if you're riding on the street, if your heart and mind isn't in it 100%, then it's time to hang it up, which I did. Riding on the street requires 100% focus and concentration at all times, as well as loving doing it. I loved it for a long time, but the passion for it just faded. I'm an all or nothing kind of person, I'm either really into something, or couldn't care less about it.
hpiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 03:47 PM   #296
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpiguy View Post
Easy to say when you aren't the one paying for the toys, or the maintenance budget. Like I said, I've moved on to other things, and other experiences in life. As for motorcycling, been there, done that. I don't regret doing it at all, just not into it anymore like I used to be. And one thing I can tell you for certain if you're riding on the street, if your heart and mind isn't in it 100%, then it's time to hang it up, which I did. Riding on the street requires 100% focus and concentration at all times, as well as loving doing it. I loved it for a long time, but the passion for it just faded. I'm an all or nothing kind of person, I'm either really into something, or couldn't care less about it.

Couldn't have said it better myself. My days are numbered.

Then two good buddies both just got new bikes.
Old 05-01-2019, 06:10 AM   #297

Quote:
Couldn't have said it better myself. My days are numbered.

Then two good buddies both just got new bikes.

I thought I was kinda "over" motorcycling because all my friends got whipped and lost their bikes. Why is it that ***** whipped guys always have to sell their stuff to fund adult life yet I never see women selling their shit? Anyway, that's another topic - probably the "rant" thread - but now my uncles have gotten bikes and I started riding with them.
Old 05-01-2019, 08:26 AM   #298
RCC Addict

Quote:

I thought I was kinda "over" motorcycling because all my friends got whipped and lost their bikes. Why is it that ***** whipped guys always have to sell their stuff to fund adult life yet I never see women selling their shit? Anyway, that's another topic - probably the "rant" thread - but now my uncles have gotten bikes and I started riding with them.

Oh yeah, the rant thread. LOL Women go after riders cuz they're edgy and fun, then demand they give it all up in the name of safety, only to find themselves bored out of their minds. So there ya go - that's what THEY give up - the excitement.

I turn 62 in a couple weeks. I know guys ride into their 70's, but I've also seen a few broken from wrecks, even killed. At some point a guy has to decide what his priorities are, and whether the risks are worth it. I've had three entire lifetimes - for most - of riding careers. The first started when I was 12, rode 'till 26, did not ride for 15 years, then 40 'till about 50, then quit again from a couple of serious offroad crashes, then started again about 11 years ago, and rode some 50K adventure miles exploring western states. Didn't get that Cabo trip done, nor the Alaska trip either. Now not sure that will ever happen.

One of my riding buddies who is about ten years younger, sold his G650 BMW to get a couple of the Kawasaki versions of what you got, they're like the Grom. Couldn't get the wife's buy in to ride them, so he bought a 2011 Triumph Tiger 800XC - same bike I had new back in 2011. I put 27K miles on that one, traded it for the GS. I've only put 9K miles on it in 3 years - half of what I was riding before.

Anyway, good luck and ride safe out there.

From a 1000-mile Colorado Rocky Mountains tour:

Last edited by Browneye; 05-01-2019 at 08:31 AM.
Old 05-01-2019, 08:38 AM   #299

Quote:
Oh yeah, the rant thread. LOL Women go after riders cuz they're edgy and fun, then demand they give it all up in the name of safety, only to find themselves bored out of their minds. So there ya go - that's what THEY give up - the excitement.

I turn 62 in a couple weeks. I know guys ride into their 70's, but I've also seen a few broken from wrecks, even killed. At some point a guy has to decide what his priorities are, and whether the risks are worth it. I've had three entire lifetimes - for most - of riding careers. The first started when I was 12, rode 'till 26, did not ride for 15 years, then 40 'till about 50, then quit again from a couple of serious offroad crashes, then started again about 11 years ago, and rode some 50K adventure miles exploring western states. Didn't get that Cabo trip done, nor the Alaska trip either. Now not sure that will ever happen.

One of my riding buddies who is about ten years younger, sold his G650 BMW to get a couple of the Kawasaki versions of what you got, they're like the Grom. Couldn't get the wife's buy in to ride them, so he bought a 2011 Triumph Tiger 800XC - same bike I had new back in 2011. I put 27K miles on that one, traded it for the GS. I've only put 9K miles on it in 3 years - half of what I was riding before.

Anyway, good luck and ride safe out there.
Age is a number. I refuse to adhere to society's age standards. I do what makes me happy as should everybody else.

I'm jealous of your height and your ability to ride ADV bikes. I'd love a Honda Africa Twin!

Thank you! You ride safe as well!
Old 05-01-2019, 09:09 AM   #300
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

My wife had no problem with my motorcycle, she even ended up buying her own, it was having kids that was the end of my riding days. Can't drop the kids off at daycare on a bike so riding to work wasn't going to happen and life ended up too busy on weekends. After about a year of not touching my bike, it was time for it to go to someone who would actually ride it.

Maybe one day, I'll get another one but it won't be anytime soon.

svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote

Motorcycle discussion - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RC motorcycle ? venomous98 Non Crawler RC's 10 04-16-2009 04:07 PM
My new Motorcycle jason Chit Chat 39 10-03-2008 06:35 AM
Rc Motorcycle Mechanicalbob Chit Chat 8 12-30-2006 07:55 AM
got in a motorcycle accident... STANG KILLA SS Chit Chat 62 11-05-2006 03:45 PM