Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Motorcycle discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2018, 08:09 AM   #201
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Motorcycle discussion

I'm not a big e bike fan actually. Other than commuting, they're just going to cause issues on MTB trails all over the place that took a lot of effort to get the land for to begin with. The one thing that we had in our favor was that it would be human powered vehicles only. Some states, like NC simply have a no motor rule as it's a motorized vehicle once you add a motor to it. Pretty simple really. But if you go over to the MTBR forums, the arguments trying to slide them in as regular MTBs is ridiculous. Mountain biking for me personally needs to be a suffer fest, as that's part of it, and I need that suffering for various reasons. After quitting smoking for over 20 years, part of it is being able to do it for me as well. There's nothing like the feeling of looking down over the mountain that you just climbed under your own power, when you never thought you'd ever get into that kind of shape again, ever.
hpiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-2018, 08:31 AM   #202

Ah valid point. I didn't realize e-bikes weren't allowed on mountain bike trails.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 10:03 AM   #203
Quarry Creeper

Just depends on where you live. Certain types of e bikes are allowed in some places, not in others. NC for once used a logical approach, if it has a motor then it's a motorized vehicle.
Old 11-06-2018, 10:46 AM   #204
RCC Addict

The US Forest Service made a statement last year making it very clear that "e-bikes" are most definitely classified as motor vehicles, therefore, not allowed on any non-motorized trail, whether you're using the e-assist or not. Like it or not, mountain bikes and motorcycles are more alike than they are different when it comes to public trail use.

If we want to get technical, they're also supposed to be registered and the rider should carry an M2 license, and be wearing a DOT approved motorcycle helmet, being that they have over 500watts of power. I've yet to see an officer having a bad enough day to enforce that one... yet.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 10:56 AM   #205

What good is an e-mtb if you can't ride it anywhere?
Old 11-06-2018, 12:22 PM   #206
Quarry Creeper

Yes, but not all MTB trails are on Forest Circus property. Hence why NC made the law they did. Though it could have changed by now, I haven't had time for anything MTB related since last year unfortunately.

And Tim, you can ride them anywhere motorized off road vehicles are allowed. Like OHV parks for example.
Old 11-06-2018, 12:32 PM   #207

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpiguy View Post
Yes, but not all MTB trails are on Forest Circus property. Hence why NC made the law they did. Though it could have changed by now, I haven't had time for anything MTB related since last year unfortunately.

And Tim, you can ride them anywhere motorized off road vehicles are allowed. Like OHV parks for example.
Yeah, but if I'm going to bother loading up and going to an off-road park I'm taking a dirt bike or quad!
Old 11-06-2018, 01:10 PM   #208
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Yeah, but if I'm going to bother loading up and going to an off-road park I'm taking a dirt bike or quad!

Agreed, and just another reason I think the e MTBs are goofier than a football bat. It's a solution looking for a problem.
Old 11-06-2018, 05:05 PM   #209
Quarry Creeper

As a mountain bike trail builder, president of the local trail club and promoter of a couple of races, I have had a bad taste for E-Bikes for a while but I am starting to see their place.

Being in Nevada, we have more Bureau of Land Management area than any other state. The BLM doesn't care, so the E Bikes are good to go and nothing we as a trail club can do to stop them. So whatever. I have one race that is all on BLM land, it is not really a "race" as it is a tourism gig. We are seeing more and more e-bikes show up. Have at it and have fun. They are a great way for elderly or someone that can't pedal too hard to get out.

On my other race, it is a legit Enduro race (first one in North America and labeled one of the toughest by some pros like Ben Cruz and Mark Weir). Last year I had a guy ask if he could use an E Bike!?!? It's a fawking ENDURO race! The whole point is to climb your ass off to get to the top of the mountain and then have enough 'gas in the tank' to haul ass back down. I wanted to reach through the phone and slap that guy in the back of the head.

That race is mostly held in a non-motorized Forest Service area. So even if the guy wanted to use an E bike in our Enduro race, he couldn't.

I'm with hpiguy, my mountain bike is for suffering, working my ass off and getting some awesome exercise with the reward of the downhill ride.
Chiphead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 06:46 PM   #210
Rock Stacker

Eat sleep and breathe motorcycles. Watch several classes, vacation to motogp every year, own 3 motorcycles but am new so I can't post a picture of them yet. Have a Nicky Hayden tattoo on my leg being from KY and all (southern accent).

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Jackalo626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 07:46 PM   #211
Quarry Creeper

Thumbs up Re: Motorcycle discussion

I can't remember exactly how many motorcycles I've owned - somewhere in the neighborhood of about 46, or so

This is me a few years ago - four motorcycles ago

I gave it up completely last year and sold my 2015 R1200GS

Too old, bad health, bad vision, still managed a few "real" wheelies on my way to the dealer when I last rode it

Still have an incredibly nice Shoei helment (medium) and Alpinestars boots (10 1/2) but everything else is gone

I have photos from when I used to race - even with crashing on the track and a couple of times while on the street, it was one of the most enjoyable things I've ever done - will always miss it

Axial Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 06:13 AM   #212

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiphead View Post
As a mountain bike trail builder, president of the local trail club and promoter of a couple of races, I have had a bad taste for E-Bikes for a while but I am starting to see their place.

Being in Nevada, we have more Bureau of Land Management area than any other state. The BLM doesn't care, so the E Bikes are good to go and nothing we as a trail club can do to stop them. So whatever. I have one race that is all on BLM land, it is not really a "race" as it is a tourism gig. We are seeing more and more e-bikes show up. Have at it and have fun. They are a great way for elderly or someone that can't pedal too hard to get out.

On my other race, it is a legit Enduro race (first one in North America and labeled one of the toughest by some pros like Ben Cruz and Mark Weir). Last year I had a guy ask if he could use an E Bike!?!? It's a fawking ENDURO race! The whole point is to climb your ass off to get to the top of the mountain and then have enough 'gas in the tank' to haul ass back down. I wanted to reach through the phone and slap that guy in the back of the head.

That race is mostly held in a non-motorized Forest Service area. So even if the guy wanted to use an E bike in our Enduro race, he couldn't.

I'm with hpiguy, my mountain bike is for suffering, working my ass off and getting some awesome exercise with the reward of the downhill ride.
That's where I could see e-bikes have their place - accessibility for those that have health issues or handicaps. In this all-about-me world I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that people with disabilities will demand that their e-bikes be allowed on BLM trails.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axial Rose View Post
I can't remember exactly how many motorcycles I've owned - somewhere in the neighborhood of about 46, or so

This is me a few years ago - four motorcycles ago

I gave it up completely last year and sold my 2015 R1200GS

Too old, bad health, bad vision, still managed a few "real" wheelies on my way to the dealer when I last rode it

Still have an incredibly nice Shoei helment (medium) and Alpinestars boots (10 1/2) but everything else is gone

I have photos from when I used to race - even with crashing on the track and a couple of times while on the street, it was one of the most enjoyable things I've ever done - will always miss it
Sorry to hear that. I absolutely dread that day!
Old 11-07-2018, 11:36 AM   #213
Quarry Creeper

The problem I have with allowing the elderly or disabled to have e-bikes on regular trails is; the average e bike weighs roughly double what the non e bike version of that particular MBT does. And people constantly forget to charge their devices, and let's face it, electronics just fail sometimes. So when the person that wasn't capable of pedaling that 10 miles into the wilderness suddenly becomes stranded on their dead of malfunctioned e-bike, who pays the rescue bill? I have enough of other's peoples shit on my paycheck every month as is. And not everything is meant to be accessible by everyone. I don't see anybody building wheelchair ramps up Half Dome or Moab for example. So again, it's an expensive solution that's looking for a problem to solve in my book.
Old 11-16-2018, 07:09 AM   #214

This is awesome. Traxxas is releasing VR46 special edition vehicles. Yes, the VR means Valentino Rossi! Pretty cool crossover IMO especially since a lot of RCers probably have no idea who "The Doctor" is!

https://www.hobbymedia.net/2525/trax...-rossi-edition

Old 11-16-2018, 10:35 AM   #215
Quarry Creeper

Jesus, they are literally a few years late to the part on that one. They could have timed it in with his video game launch and probably had better sales from it.
Old 12-12-2018, 08:05 AM   #216

Sad news. This is the last year for the Suzuki Hayabusa because it can't pass Europe's stupid emission tests. Even if you don't like the 'Busa you have to respect it for what it is and for how it brought hyper performance into our world.

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/12/11/...oduction-ends/
Old 12-12-2018, 10:33 AM   #217
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpiguy View Post
The problem I have with allowing the elderly or disabled to have e-bikes on regular trails is; the average e bike weighs roughly double what the non e bike version of that particular MBT does. And people constantly forget to charge their devices, and let's face it, electronics just fail sometimes. So when the person that wasn't capable of pedaling that 10 miles into the wilderness suddenly becomes stranded on their dead of malfunctioned e-bike, who pays the rescue bill? I have enough of other's peoples shit on my paycheck every month as is. And not everything is meant to be accessible by everyone. I don't see anybody building wheelchair ramps up Half Dome or Moab for example. So again, it's an expensive solution that's looking for a problem to solve in my book.
Wow as a disabled person have to disagree with you completely if i go out i make sure my junk is charged and if for some reason my bike did die foe some unsean reason there wkuld be no reason to rescue me it.might take me 10 hours to get my bike and myself back to my vehicle even if it is twice the waight of a reguler bike that isent a good agument thats like saying if your not a mechanic you cant go off roading because if you brake down you wont be able to get your rig off the trail yourself you can bet if i could get my 60lb 1949 adultrike out on the trail i would but its hard to find mountain bike trails made for tricycles lol and the open diff make it hard to go anywere thats not paved even harder to stop i feel like the whole ebike thing is stupid just get over it i havent herd one good agument against them at all just i have to peddle so you have to peddle thats just bs this entire be like me sindrome has to be stoped if you dont want a ebike thats fine but dont shat on others for using them they dont have wheel chair ramps at half dome but they do have handycap parking in the lot and they have modified jeeps or other off road rigs for the disabled at moab so ya they do acomedate the disable what if a disabled persons jeep gets stuck or breaks down would they need to be rescued because they have a broken rig should they be baned from the trail because something might happen that would be just as lame as banning ebikes from bike trails

I still have my motorcycles and still ride when i can i keep my virago just to tinker with it it hasent been ridden in atleast 5 years my old yz250 still sits too now days i stick to the quad or the honda trail 90 or the little 100
ferp420 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 05:59 PM   #218
Quarry Creeper

Being disabled doesn't prevent you from using proper grammar and punctuation. Use some, and maybe I'll read your post. I'm not reading a 300 word run on sentence.
Old 12-19-2018, 11:25 PM   #219
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiphead View Post

Where are you in Nevada? Curious about these races.
stubs179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 11:58 AM   #220

I think we've all seen pitbikes, but this is the first I'm seeing this flat track pitbike. It's freaking cool! Looks like a ton of fun.

Motorcycle discussion - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RC motorcycle ? venomous98 Non Crawler RC's 10 04-16-2009 04:07 PM
My new Motorcycle jason Chit Chat 39 10-03-2008 06:35 AM
Rc Motorcycle Mechanicalbob Chit Chat 8 12-30-2006 07:55 AM
got in a motorcycle accident... STANG KILLA SS Chit Chat 62 11-05-2006 03:45 PM