Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Motorcycle discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2019, 09:25 AM   #301

Default Re: Motorcycle discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
My wife had no problem with my motorcycle, she even ended up buying her own, it was having kids that was the end of my riding days. Can't drop the kids off at daycare on a bike so riding to work wasn't going to happen and life ended up too busy on weekends. After about a year of not touching my bike, it was time for it to go to someone who would actually ride it.

Maybe one day, I'll get another one but it won't be anytime soon.
I don't know how people do it. I'm too selfish to put my life on hold for kids. That's why I chose to not be a parent. Others (horrible parents) have kids, but still put themselves first. I guess, at least, I knew not to have kids.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-2019, 10:46 AM   #302
RCC Addict

I had three kids - never stopped me from riding.
We never put the kids before our marriage either - I'm still king of my castle.
And the kids turned out great - happy well adjusted mature adults. None of them are camped out on my door step with their hand out.

And they all rode.
Browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 11:29 AM   #303
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
I don't know how people do it. I'm too selfish to put my life on hold for kids. That's why I chose to not be a parent. Others (horrible parents) have kids, but still put themselves first. I guess, at least, I knew not to have kids.
We don't have kids either and am glad we didn't. Where in the book of life does it say you have to have them anyway? haha. As far as your woman making you sell your bike in the name of safety, I was careful in my selection. My wife when I met her already had a 2003 SV650S and is the one that actually got me into street bikes. I was an off road ATV guy before I met her.
JDM74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 11:43 AM   #304
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Ditto. Also I didn't want to contribute to overpopulation, but that's a topic so radioactive I hesitate to mention it even with the benefit of relative anonymity here. Sigh.

Anyway, motorcycles. This is my Little Red Pig, a CRF250L. 20 horsepower doesn't sound like much, and it's not, but there's something uniquely entertaining about trying to squeeze out every last bit of speed. The adage "It's more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow" applies to bikes too!

TooOldForThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 11:47 AM   #305

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooOldForThis View Post
Ditto. Also I didn't want to contribute to overpopulation, but that's a topic so radioactive I hesitate to mention it even with the benefit of relative anonymity here. Sigh.

Anyway, motorcycles. This is my Little Red Pig, a CRF250L. 20 horsepower doesn't sound like much, and it's not, but there's something uniquely entertaining about trying to squeeze out every last bit of speed. The adage "It's more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow" applies to bikes too!
I love those bikes! Sweet ride! If I was taller I'd have either this or the 450.

I agree. That's part of the reason I got a Grom. It's so fun to ride something slow and trying to make it go fast.
Old 05-01-2019, 12:02 PM   #306
Quarry Creeper

Riding slow bikes fast is where it's at for the average rider. You'll learn a lot more that way, and the bike will be much more forgiving. I tell people all the time that it took a 35HP dirt bike (supermoto, but still) to teach me how to ride a street bike.
hpiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 04:08 PM   #307
RCC Addict

I didn't see this thing till now. You should get one for the Grom Jato

https://www.revzilla.com/common-trea...tility-sidecar

Last edited by Sneetches; 05-03-2019 at 04:13 PM. Reason: add link
Sneetches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 05:33 PM   #308
I wanna be Dave

^^^ That's seriously cool! ^^^

Perfect for a little side trip to a crawl spot!
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 07:39 PM   #309
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneetches View Post

this is cool
Attached Images

Mike Flea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 07:40 PM   #310

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneetches View Post

Haha. I did see that and I think it's awesome. But a stock Grom can barely get out of its own way so I wouldn't want to take a passenger or cargo.
Old 05-04-2019, 09:18 AM   #311
RCC Addict

If'n y'all like that sidecar bs check out URAL.
You can actually go somewhere or take someone. Or your dog.

My old riding buddy has a 10lb pomeranian that has traveled thousands of miles on his adventure bike. Almost fallen off too. He's a hit when you stop for lunch.
Browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 09:33 AM   #312

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browneye View Post
If'n y'all like that sidecar bs check out URAL.

You can actually go somewhere or take someone. Or your dog.

My old riding buddy has a 10lb pomeranian that has traveled thousands of miles on his adventure bike. Almost fallen off too. He's a hit when you stop for lunch.

There's somebody around me that has a dog bubble trailer for their motorycle. There's a company that makes them. The dog wears goggles. It cracks me up.

I've also seem a woman with a Pomeranian or something in a basket on her bike. Should have gotten photos.
Old 05-04-2019, 09:43 AM   #313
Quarry Creeper

Sidecars are one of the worst motorcycle inventions ever.

Sincerely,
Physics
Old 05-04-2019, 09:46 AM   #314

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpiguy View Post
Sidecars are one of the worst motorcycle inventions ever.

Sincerely,
Physics

Don't physics also say motorcycles shouldn't work?
Old 05-04-2019, 09:51 AM   #315
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Nope. That's helicopters.
Old 05-04-2019, 01:17 PM   #316
RCC Addict

Quote:
It's also bicycles:

Sneetches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 02:41 PM   #317
Quarry Creeper

Well shit, I'd never heard that and really wouldn't have thought that was true these days. You learn something everyday.
Old 05-08-2019, 01:35 PM   #318

Yep apparently both bicycles and motorcycles are physics mysteries which I think is awesome.
Old 06-03-2019, 05:42 PM   #319
Rock Crawler

4wd4ws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 01:02 AM   #320
RCC Addict

Yesterday was a big day for my boys. My 5 year old has been ready for something a little bigger than his Suzuki JR50, but we haven't been in a position to buy something yet. We let him try out my 8 year olds DRZ110 (which is pretty heavily modded, hi compression big bore, cam, manual clutch, Fox shock, etc., etc.) but it was just too tall for him to get even one foot down...

I got a smoking deal on a KX65 not too long ago, but had been waiting for my older boy to really master the clutch before throwing him on that little rocketship. I put the stock low seat from the kx onto the drz (which IS just a yellow klx110, same seat/tank/plastics as a kx65) and the tall seat from the drz onto the kx, reset the sag for my 5yo's weight, adjusted all the controls for his reach, and turned him loose. He did great! His clutch work is a bit abrupt once he starts moving, but he's only 5 with one day of manual clutch under his belt, that's a lot younger than I was when I learned to operate that left hand lever! He did well enough that we're skipping the "in-between" bike and just moving him straight to the 110!

My older son took to the 65 very quickly too after he realized that he has to shift it A LOT more than the 110 to keep the motor singing. He's not ringing its neck, but the suspension on the mini mx'er is so much better, than even his hopped up 110 trail bike, that he's carrying a lot more speed over river rock, bumps, ruts, etc. He's fully ready to start trail riding now (we've only allowed him to ride within line of sight up to this point) but since I'm still not physically able, I need to talk my wife into getting back into the swing of trail riding so she can go with him.

On that note, my wife wants to take the MSF course over the summer and finally get her M1. She's had her permit in the past, but let it expire before taking the on-bike test. Since I've got 2 extremely well set up plated KTM's just collecting dust, she's been eyeballin' the 525 (fresh 12.5:1 540cc, 8/06 cam, +1mm valves, minor port work, carb absolutely dialed in.) I'm sure she'd ride the klx140l (kx100 suspension swap, 170 big bore) when trail riding with the kids, but I'd love to see her get comfortable on a full size bike again.

I only recently buttoned up the last 0.01% of work that my GasGas EC300 needed to be back to 100% so it too is just sitting on a stand, waiting for the day I can ride again. I had kinda lost motivation after getting hurt, but Man I miss riding! It's been hard to go from riding 200+ hrs a year on average to zero. Not to mention every night/weekend that I wasn't riding, I spent working on motorcycles, be it my own, or side jobs. This getting old business is rough, I may only be 35, but my body is acting more than twice its age! It wasn't the 4 hip surgeries, but the 3 herniated discs that took me off my scooters (none of which were motorcycle related) but having recently had a stroke (minor as it may have been... at least people can understand my speech again, if they have the patience to wait for me to spit it out!) who knows if/when I'll be able to ride again. Keeping the bikes in the garage when it would have made more sense to sell them has been the bit of hope that has kept me going, rc's helped fill the void to keep my sanity. With my kids rapidly progressing, and my wife's recent re-interest in riding, I'm trying to support/encourage them while embracing my life as a spectator instead of just waiting 'til I can ride again.

I'll be selling the kids' JR50 very soon so I'll have a bit of money to play with, so instead of just buying another rc, I may start tinkering with my extensively modified drz125 again next. I have a 147cc top end sitting in a box for it, but I think I'd rather hold out until I can swing the Engines Only 12.5:1 190cc top end (22hp!!!) but it's gonna be quite a bit more spendy than what I'll get from selling the jr50. Plan B is to finally get adult sized springs for the rm85 fork and shock that are already on there, as well as an RSW top triple clamp to open up the cockpit for adult riders. Proper springs and ergonomics will likely be appreciated more than tripling its horsepower since my wife is the only one that will ride it for the foreseeable future. While the drz125 and klx140 are setup very similar, she may like the klx140 for its electric start, but still says the drz125 is the most fun bike we own. I'd have to agree.

Long post, I know, but the fire's still burnin'!
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Motorcycle discussion - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RC motorcycle ? venomous98 Non Crawler RC's 10 04-16-2009 04:07 PM
My new Motorcycle jason Chit Chat 39 10-03-2008 06:35 AM
Rc Motorcycle Mechanicalbob Chit Chat 8 12-30-2006 07:55 AM
got in a motorcycle accident... STANG KILLA SS Chit Chat 62 11-05-2006 03:45 PM