Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: GT3B Hack Question and Answer Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2012, 06:23 AM   #981

Default Re: GT3B Hack Question and Answer Thread

Hey

is there a instruction available to set up a Moa crawler?
kreison is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-2012, 07:17 AM   #982
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreison View Post
Hey

I believe there is on LosiKids site, www.OverKillRC.com in the GT3B section.

Are you running dual ESC's or a single ESC & a dig of some sort?
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 12:39 PM   #983

Hey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post

Are you running dual ESC's or a single ESC & a dig of some sort?
Im running dual ESC´s .....
kreison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 03:39 PM   #984
Got Worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyracer View Post
Ok, it was my damn 4 pin cable. I grabbed it out of my old ATX computer case, checked for continuity and figured each wire was in the correct order. Didn't check for cross-continuity though. Turns out pins 2 and 3 were connected to each other in the cable I had. Welp, I guess I should have just made my own from the beginning, and now that I know that was it, I am going to make one for future programming.

I ended up programming the radios with the pins directly touching each other (awkwardly held the programmer up to the header on the radio so that all 4 pins were touching...)

Now I get to read through Austin's manual about settings and start looking into Dual ESC, etc. I have a friend that was looking into getting a radio like this, so I am definitely sending him to OKRC to get it done.

I wish there was an easy way to get the steering wheel closer to the radio. I really don't like the drop that much, makes it a little far to reach the buttons on the top by the display for access to those channels. Maybe I can make something custom... I also don't like the throttle trigger that much, so maybe I can harvest one from the GT2 or another remote. Also, now I need to find a way to mount a camera for those solo runs that I want to tape...
Glad you got it figured out.

There is some room in the steering column for switches. I planned on moving switches in there, but i haven't need them yet and i've been abit busy lately to get my own projects done.

I think i planned on them really small push switches at radio shack or run a mini tactile switch with plenty of hot glue keeping it in place

Quote:
Hey

Quote:
Hey

Im running dual ESC´s .....
Go to page one, read post 2. Click on the link, follow the directions on the post that is linked
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 08:44 PM   #985
Pebble Pounder

Losikid, sent you an email, but disregard it. I got it fiquire out.

Everything works great. HUGE thanks for you wisdom and knowledge on this stuff!!!!!
JKMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 11:18 PM   #986
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by losikid View Post
Glad you got it figured out.

There is some room in the steering column for switches. I planned on moving switches in there, but i haven't need them yet and i've been abit busy lately to get my own projects done.

I think i planned on them really small push switches at radio shack or run a mini tactile switch with plenty of hot glue keeping it in place
I really don't like the steering drop, and I think I am going to look at getting that removed. The drop just looks so out of place. I didn't think it would bother me as much as it does. I have an idea, but of course I am not going to go with custom plastic injection molding to do it. Probably will be some ABS pieces and some ABS cement, but I want it to look like nothing was done to it. I have some 2" ABS pipe (for drift tires) that I can mess with for some preliminary designs.

Also, I know you were looking into it a while ago, but what ended up happening with looking at different switches for the CH3 Trim and D/R switches?

I really don't like hot glue for anything like this. The long term reliability has never been there for me. I'm definitely glad I got this radio, and will be putting the TQ6 on the BST forum soon. The only thing I'll be losing from that would be proportional winch control, but with the stepped rates, I don't think it is going to be missed.
monkeyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 11:35 PM   #987
Got Worms?

Quote:
I really don't like the steering drop, and I think I am going to look at getting that removed. The drop just looks so out of place. I didn't think it would bother me as much as it does. I have an idea, but of course I am not going to go with custom plastic injection molding to do it. Probably will be some ABS pieces and some ABS cement, but I want it to look like nothing was done to it. I have some 2" ABS pipe (for drift tires) that I can mess with for some preliminary designs.
Have fun. Are you still wanting a drop or are just gonna straight out?

Quote:
Also, I know you were looking into it a while ago, but what ended up happening with looking at different switches for the CH3 Trim and D/R switches?
I'm working on them. Problem isn't the design. Its figuring out the cheapest way to make em. I should have some laser cut proto's in the near future. But its abit thick so its iffy.

The ^^^ will be about .05" taller than the current switch. and its got the higher center notch for more gripage.

Quote:
I really don't like hot glue for anything like this. The long term reliability has never been there for me. I'm definitely glad I got this radio, and will be putting the TQ6 on the BST forum soon. The only thing I'll be losing from that would be proportional winch control, but with the stepped rates, I don't think it is going to be missed.
You can turn the ch 3 button into a pot. Although it hasn't officially be tested.
Old 01-05-2012, 11:52 PM   #988
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Have fun. Are you still wanting a drop or are just gonna straight out?
Rather do straight out, but just barely. It's almost like they designed the radio but then realized they forgot to put a wheel on it and last minute slapped it on. Also it puts it further from being able to use the trim buttons for 4WS, and I don't really want to move the switches.

Quote:
I'm working on them. Problem isn't the design. Its figuring out the cheapest way to make em. I should have some laser cut proto's in the near future. But its abit thick so its iffy.

The ^^^ will be about .05" taller than the current switch. and its got the higher center notch for more gripage.
Those look nice, but as you said, cost will be an issue.

Quote:
You can turn the ch 3 button into a pot. Although it hasn't officially be tested.
hmm, that may be down the road for me to test.

I'm thinking that if my idea on the steering column works, it would be something probably easy enough for others to do, and if so, a nice write up will be in store.
monkeyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 08:59 PM   #989
Rock Crawler

Hey losi kid I had a question about setting up a dual esc. I read your awesome write up on page 18 but had a question, about halfway through you say to scroll to dig, but i don't see that on mine. Is something wrong or am I not doing it right? Thanks!
Krawler23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 01:01 PM   #990

Pretty simple question for you guys but the noob in me is stumped. I installed the hack kit this AM. Did a surprisingly great job soldiering it, better than I thought I would. So then I installed the STVP with the patch on to my windows 7 64 bit system. Rebooted as the instructions state, then opened the STVP and configured it. click file then open, go to select my firmware and I don't see it. I know the firmwares are on the OKRC site but how do I import them into the STVP program from the OKRC site?

btw - Great write up Austin, made it a piece of cake installing the hack kit. Thanks!
mudeatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 01:04 PM   #991
I wanna be Dave

have to d/l the firmware from a link LosiKid sent ya...least I did...not sure if its on the website. I d/l'd both the 6 channel and 8 channel..put them in two seperate sub folders under GT3B..one labeled 6 chnl and the other 8 chnl, so you can tell them apart when you open the files throuth the STVP program.
squatch71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 01:57 PM   #992

So I thought I installed the hack kit correctly but when I hook the programer and radio up as soon as I plug in the usb the radio begins to chirp and the backlite comes on. Maybe I didn't soldier the 4 pin correctly?
Old 01-08-2012, 12:06 PM   #993
Pebble Pounder

Is there anything i have to do to the radio to get it to run off a 2s lipo? besides taking the battery tray out and soldering a connector on.
Unfadingpyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 12:10 PM   #994
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unfadingpyro View Post
Is there anything i have to do to the radio to get it to run off a 2s lipo? besides taking the battery tray out and soldering a connector on.
new voltage regulator
and change the low voltage cuttoff on the radio
FlySky GT3B Info and FAQ for hacks - OverkillRC
http://www.overkillrc.com/GT3B/GT3B%...all%20v1.0.pdf

BTW depending on battery thickness you may want to trim the bottom of the battery tray rather than remove it. the battery doors on mine are much more secure with the tray in place
spoo76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 01:19 PM   #995
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudeatter View Post
So I thought I installed the hack kit correctly but when I hook the programer and radio up as soon as I plug in the usb the radio begins to chirp and the backlite comes on. Maybe I didn't soldier the 4 pin correctly?

just a guess, are the connectors on the wire connected correctly? maybe need to flip one side.
squatch71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 01:58 PM   #996
Quarry Creeper

Hello

First - i like my GT3B and i´m loving this great hack and all the mods

I build at the moment my Comp-Rig for 2012 and today i´ve put the two esc in it. Now i want to setup the Dual ESC Mode and i do this with the instructions on the first sites.

But when i hold the Dig Button the Axle dont stop running - no, the axle run with an speed from about 10% in the forward direction. This problem i had on both axles - front and rear.

I hope you know what i mean - if not i can upload a video at youtube

Best regards from austria -
Gerry
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 02:20 PM   #997
Rock Crawler

I have the 4.1 firmware so when i try to setup dual escs i think it is different because losikid made the write up for the 4.0 firmware. Can anyone help me on the setup of it?
Krawler23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 06:00 PM   #998
I wanna be Dave

the setup procedure should be the same. i originally set mine up with the v3.2 firmware and its the same as 4.1. but i will give you a quick setup of how i have mine and you can tweak it to your liking from there.

scroll to rev, long Enter, scroll to d Enter DIG Enter RES Enter 100 Enter NOR Enter NOO Enter
scroll to 3 Enter, DIG Enter RES Enter 5 Enter REV Enter NOO Enter, Long Enter

now the d/r switch will do fr/rr dig and you can it the switch back to return to 4wd or just hold the switch and the ch3 trim switch when hit fwd will increase power in the rear by 5% each hit and it will reset to 0 if you hold the switch.
benoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 07:29 PM   #999
Got Worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krawler23 View Post
Hey losi kid I had a question about setting up a dual esc. I read your awesome write up on page 18 but had a question, about halfway through you say to scroll to dig, but i don't see that on mine. Is something wrong or am I not doing it right? Thanks!
Scroll real slow...you did install 0.4.1 correct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudeatter View Post
Thats correct. Its the low power alarm beeping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry View Post
Hello

First - i like my GT3B and i´m loving this great hack and all the mods

I build at the moment my Comp-Rig for 2012 and today i´ve put the two esc in it. Now i want to setup the Dual ESC Mode and i do this with the instructions on the first sites.

But when i hold the Dig Button the Axle dont stop running - no, the axle run with an speed from about 10% in the forward direction. This problem i had on both axles - front and rear.

I hope you know what i mean - if not i can upload a video at youtube

Best regards from austria -
Gerry
You tube video would be great. But it sounds like you arn't operating the DIG mix or you set a 10% step rate and you are only slowing down the axle by 10% of the throttle with one click.

Whats your settings?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krawler23 View Post
I have the 4.1 firmware so when i try to setup dual escs i think it is different because losikid made the write up for the 4.0 firmware. Can anyone help me on the setup of it?
Exact same steps...i think i wrote 0.4.X so the x would be an 0.4 firmware
Old 01-09-2012, 09:13 AM   #1000

I thought I had fresh batterys in there, I'll check again. Whats the minimum volts before it sets the low power alarm off?

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/321742-gt3b-hack-question-answer-thread.html
Posted By For Type Date
RoboSavvy Forum :: View topic - SAM-3 Servo teardown This thread Refback 03-05-2013 12:49 PM